Just the opposite

Logdotzip

I honestly thought that free trade would make me play more. I thought that 11' was going to be a big year for me. I was going to consider getting 92+ herblore and 80 dungoneering and a rapier.

But... The laptop i play on died. And the only thing left for me to play on is my ancient desktop. And i realized that all i was really doing with that laptop was AFK grinding 99 combats while doing other things that i actually did enjoy on my desktop like watching anime/ect.

That's when it hit me: I don't... Enjoy playing this game anymore.

The only thing i've been doing is AFKing skills for the past few months. Sure i could finish grinding out 99 attack and strength, but what is the point? I've gone 5 years playing this game without a single 99, and now that i've gotten two within a month and more just keep falling out of my ass, it just seems really... Pointless.

And my money goals like chinning 99 range and getting high herblore seem so far away because I'm forever bound to honest ways of making money. I don't wish to merch or gamble with the wild or staking. The same reason you're quitting. And when others can make their money so easily by getting good dice rolls/having some friend that quit give them their bank/getting lucky and smiting out a valuable item/flipping and making absurd amounts then what's the point for me with my kind of play style?

Currently I'm only logging in once every week to keep MTK updated. I might decide to start playing again, i might not. I don't fully know at this point. I think i just might finish getting 99 attack and strength, and wait for a good update to catch my attention.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, to those who lost the will to play because of better money-making methods, or because of the risk involved in it, they need to reevaluate themselves. Why were you playing this game in the first place?

Was it to kill time?

To set and achieve some goal?

Make lots and lots of money?

Obviously, if they were in it just to accumulate lots of money, then nothing will be appealing anymore since now there are much faster methods of obtaining cash, or because you lost all your money doing so, and you may not have the ability or experience to succeed in such endeavors.

Maybe you can redirect your goals? Maybe you shouldn't make "having loads of money and all the pro-top-of-the-line gear" your motivation or goal.

Just like in real life, as other have stated, people don't get discouraged working at $8 an hour at a fast-food place, nor do those making $20 an hour elsewhere; there are much better money-making methods (such as starting a business, investing in the stock market, flipping houses, etc.), but that doesn't mean that they will quit working there and just live off welfare, thinking they'll never reach those sorts of riches in their lives. People don't (or should I say, shouldn't) think about what others are doing, but instead think of how they are fairing in their lives: am I making enough to survive? If so, will what I make give me space for some luxuries, such as a new car? What can I do to increase my quality of life? These people manage with what they get, and work hard at either keeping it up, or doing what it takes to change things for the better.

As a note, I didn't grow up having everything I wanted: I had friends who had all the latest systems, with tons of video games, with the new razor scooter, new cellphone, brand new car, etc. I also desired the same things, so I worked hard to get them. I didn't compare myself to those who had things handed to them, or who had it better off than me; I just focused on my goal, even if I knew that it'd take a long time to get them. But let me tell you, once I did buy my car, it felt good; I probably felt a much greater sense of pride and joy from buying my first car than those who were given those things or didn't have to work so hard to get them. It's all about perspective: you shouldn't compare yourself with others; you should only care about yourself, and how you are handling your life.

Comparing it to Runescape, I play the same way I live my life: I have goals that I want to accomplish, but I don't compare myself to those who can get enough cash for Turmoil or a 99 in one hour of staking. I just keep things in perspective: I'm not very good at PvP, so I won't PvP; transitively, I won't' stake, either. I don't have the patience with merchanting (other than just stockpiling items I know will give me great profits in the future, such as herbs), so I don't do that, either. So I just focus on farming and Slayer/PvM. Slayer isn't that much cash (even less since I cannon), and PvM is based off luck and whether or not you have the stats/gear to be able to attempt it, but I enjoy those activities, so I will do what I enjoy, and whether I do or don't make a profit isn't in my mind at all, but rather, whatever happens, happens. If I get a nice drop, it'd be cool, but I'd be fine without one.

My motivation for playing Runescape isn't based on being rich or having it all, so my desire to play hasn't dwindled because of the update. I want to get to 97 Construction, which will take a lot of money which I don't have to achieve, but I won't compare myself to that person who can make that cash in one successful stake. I enjoy the journey, rather than the goal (although I am excited when I reach such goal), and knowing I did it my way makes it that much more succulent.

My advice to you is: either accept the risks of such money-making methods, and strive to be better at it, or change your motivation, your reason, in why you play this game.

And yes, I've read every single post in this thread.

I would also like to add: try to keep things in perspective, if it wasn't implied enough. I think this is the tl;dr version of my whole post :P

Edited by nintendomaster2024

Guest jrhairychest

Lol so many downbeat. Its almost as if some are treating RS as your 'job' as if it isn't fun anymore.

Some are making it less fun for themselves by playing the way others tell them to, almost as if your fun is wrong because someone else has a different concept of what is fun. You'd have to be pretty dumb to not follow your own route in this game, otherwise you're just playing someone elses.

'Thats not the fastest way to make money!' I hear people say quite a lot. Who gives a toss? I saw nothing that said this game was some sort of race. So many have become obsessed with get-rich-quick schemes then complain about it if they lose it or they didn't enjoy what they were doing. 'I have to make x mill ph!'. Really? Who made that rule?

All in all I think many have absurd expectations about the game and have forgotten what it's really about. But, if you wanna go and burn yourselves out be my guest.

Talked to a 'friend' today, asking how much money he made with free trade so far.

Apparently he made 450m and a red phat with staking (and abusing the sol glitch), but he staked all of it against a purple + 2 divines.

He lost it all, and I'm laughing because of his greed and stupidity :D

Talked to a 'friend' today, asking how much money he made with free trade so far.

Apparently he made 450m and a red phat with staking (and abusing the sol glitch), but he staked all of it against a purple + 2 divines.

He lost it all, and I'm laughing because of his greed and stupidity :D

That's great.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.