The Decline of Santas

Nunquam

Hello all. I decided to track the price of Santa Hats in December to see how they went up in price. Well, my results were a little different than expected:

declineofsantas.png

As the graph clearly demonstrates, Santas went straight down. They're still going down and I'll continue to track them. But I wonder though: what's driving them to go down, especially during the holiday season when they supposedly increase in price?

What do you guys think?

Personally, so many people hoarded santa hats in the thoughts of it raising dramatically at christmas, yet doing so caused the decline. The hype over it defeated its purpose, and after people seeing how masks declined at halloween, merchants and hoarders got nervous and started selling for less so they wouldnt lose too much money, thus starting the steady decline

Maybe people just dont want to buy santa's at over 5 mil. [i know i wouldn't]

But it's a bit confusing because basic economy doesn't seem to be right here.

So we'll have to start thinking about santa's in a different way

My idea is that's it's not actually true that santa's are more wanted during the season, but because most people think they are, everyone is selling his/hers and so the prices go down.

This still doesn't explain the enormous price drop, but i think i understand

it.

In the beginning of december the hoarders were getting ready to sel their santa's for ridiculous prices. But when the prices weren't growing [since the demand wasn't] they panicked and started selling under the normal price, then everyone started panicking and prices kept dropping.

I may the only one who believes that the demand isn't bigger during the season, but to anyone who does believe it:

when did we started to think that the demand did go up?

btw we're lucky the hoarders choked themselves

Everyone also realized how much they had been exploited by the Santa Hat.

The Santa is the most common of all the rares in the game. Santas outnumber masks by a large number. It was the last tradable holiday drop, and people horded them after looking at past drops and seeing that they could eventually be worth money.

Santas will eventually go back up, but as long as there are a few thousand of them, they will never be very expensive.

99 Crafting, Fletching, Cooking, Magic - Fire Cape - 1900+ Total

could u follow there prices also in january? then we got proof if its the

"The hype over it defeated its purpose"

(yeah my english is bad and could not make a good sentence from that dont flame me)

not everybody wants to hear the bubblegum pop garbage.

im gonna burn in hell and drink all of satans beer.

trashmetal/deathmetal/hardrock/folkmetal die hard

ha don't remind me those times. My friend bought 2 of them. I saved some money and wanted to buy them too.. But my firend told me that it's not worth it so i didn't.. I would have bought like 5 or 6 santas... Image how much profit i would have made now...

They were supposed to...

I've called them overpriced for months already. May have been proven wrong for quite some time, but what happened now was anything but unexpected really.

Also, lots of investors speculate before christmas time by hoarding up tons of santas. With too many people doing this, prices tend to peak and start dropping way before it's actually christmas.

My assumption was for every year there isn't a new sana drop the prices should keep rising. Apparently I was wrong. People are just too nervous with their rares and sell too soon in large ammounts. If I had a santa hat I would hang on to it. I do believe they will go up again, not as high as 5.7m persay but somewhere around 4m - 4.5m for sure.

*edit*

and I <3 cabbage. so green, and leafy, and good.

lol, duke freedom, isnt he the most rich player in the game??

but anyway, i think its becouse much rich ppl (with about 100m) bought them for christmas, and they dont care about some lose like 2m. after xmas they dont need it anymore, blue phat is back on their heads and they sell the santas for amazingly low prices becouse they wanna get rid of them....

thats what i think

nice pic you made!!

those that have said merchanters ruin the game cant be further away from being right.

merchanters have nothing to do with santa prices. lets not forget that the idea of a merchanter is to buy( for example a santa) at current prices of 3.8m and then sell for 4m. not to buy at 4m and sell at 3.8m.

the thing with all holiday rares is non merchanters think that the rare will go up in price during the specific holiday season. so these people buy the rares(from merchanters) at the highest possible price(5.7m for santas). when the merchanters sell their product, they are done for the season...this usually ends in mid october for merchants(true merchants). now going back to the price, once these holiday season buyers control the santa economy, they start lowering the prices trying not to lose money but also trying to get a buyer because they realise the santa or any other holiday rare wont go up in price.

true merchants know that this is the time to buy holiday rares, why do you think they end up with 50+ santas? or 10 mask sets?

im sorry this post isnt very organized, but my point if it isnt clear is this...

merchants currently have nothing to do with current prices, prices are low because non merchants buy up all the holiday rares thinking the prices will explode come halloween day, christmas day, etc. that is why the price of mask sets were 20-25m in september and santas were 5.5-6m. merchanters sell the product in late september, early october...go and buy phats with their new found gp stack(this is why phat prices rise now) and wait for january to roll around to buy up more santas and masks when they reach the rock bottom prices. this is how merchanters merchant holiday rares.

so those of you that bought when prices were declining should not be blaming merchants, but be blaming yourself.

bob7926.png

Okay, I think I understand it now.

People, thinking prices will rise at Christmas, buy Santas months beforehand and then when Christmas actually comes, attempt to sell them at high prices, only to find that everyone is selling them. Demand is down, supply is up (due to everyone selling at once) and prices fall.

hey! how bout this!

new christmas holiday items came out for people to wear. why get a santa hat when u can get four trendy scarves and four neat hats for free. people just want to get all christmassy and maybe they just wore scarves instead.

hey! how bout this!

new christmas holiday items came out for people to wear. why get a santa hat when u can get four trendy scarves and four neat hats for free. people just want to get all christmassy and maybe they just wore scarves instead.

That doesn't explain the drop prior to the xmas update. The santas peaked awhile ago, because everyone thought they were all smart buying early. The pre-xmas buying time became the real xmas in-game, santa hat wise. On xmas, everyone who wanted santas already had them, so people got nervous because they thought their santas would do well around the holidays and kept selling them for cheaper prices.

if i could see the graph i would tell you nice graph but i cant, santa have been overpriced for a long time. I hope all holiday drops drop in price

RSN: 1 day late | Private chat: On

| 60 ATTACK | 81 STRENGTH | 72 HITPOINTS |

| 80 MAGIC | 13 PRAYER | 1 DEFENSE | 65 COMBAT |

For some reason people think that rares will go up just for the holidays. I thought so when I bought masks in late September. Even though many merchants bought masks during this time the price still stayed the same. The price went up at the most 200k during the month until they just crashed at Halloween. Same thing with santa hats. They never really jumped as merchants bought a lot. In conclusion, never buy rares within a month of Halloween or Christmas. Just wait a month after the holiday and buy them.

Merchanters = stupid

plain and simple.. they ruin the game for everyone who plays to play, not just be rich.

theres no need to go insulting merchanters, some people play runescape only for the merchanting aspect, and whoever wants to play to play they can do that what are merchants doing to stop them??? and your claim that merchanters are stupid is really stupid... its discrimination.

Hmm ;) Now, Methinks it goes like this :

step 1: People begin to stock up santas. Due to the big demand prices rise.

step 2: People aren't selling their santas before christmas eve. This makes the demand even higher. Prices rise.

step 3: At christmas, the market suddenly gets flooded, and the sellers have to fight over customers. Prices sink to the bottom.

• 4 years later...