Sucker Punch

Blyaunte

Yet again not having a vehicle hampers my opportunities to see amazing films.

le sigh.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

hot chicks in leather and kinky outfits? I'm in.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

It has the same hint of eroticism that 'kick-ass' had with that one girl, what's her name....nicholas cage! In all seriousness, I expect it to follow in similar suit to that 'girl with the dragon tatoo' series, in that they had little hype before their theatre release dates, did decently in the theatres, sold more than 5m copies of each film after put to dvd/blu-ray, and both have books that are partially worth reading 'fully worth it if you read the dragon tatoo books before watching the movie series).

div>

Many movies have been proclaimed 'bad' though before hitting theatres, and many of them have gone straight to dvd because of that (namely college, most of the van wilder movies, most american pies, and just about every movie featuring kal penn). That's not to say though that they weren't good though, hell, many of them were actually pretty funny if you chose to watch for the plot and not the random nudity every 5 seconds.

div>

Well, if they were smart, then they'd release it on dvd only, seeing as they'd make more money off a 25 dollar dvd then they would off an 11 dollar ticket. That, and even if it is horrible, then they still make more money product-wise (5 million people buying dvd's compared to 5 million buying tickets/disliking movie/not buying dvd when it comes out).

div>

you do realize most dvd's don't sell at $25 anymore, regardless of if it's straight to dvd or not.

Disney Blu-Ray/Dvd Combos do and other DVD/Blu combo's do and thats about it, Most Blu's start around $20 and Dvd's around 17 for feature films (IE: Potter, etc) - Some Films like Red were $12.99 on Blu release week and still didn't sell well - asides collectors - the DVD Market is really not that great of a vehicle anymore for direct films - Spirt Camp - a slasher flick that was indie - had trouble selling cast signed copies of the DVD for $30 - hell even I didn't even order one and I collect signed stuff - although my reason why is a bit lulzy)

Take the I Spit on your grave remake. As far as hype goes - it's a remake of one of the most disturbing/violent well known Horror movies among avid horror fans - The original was considered a "classic" and the out of print region 1 DVD sold upwards of $150-200 before they re-released it. Straight to DVD for the remake and it's opening week had prices at $10 for Dvd and $15 for Blu. The rerelease of the original ($20 for the dvd and $23ish for the blu on amazon) Outsold the hyped remake in sales rank by close to 50 spots.

Van Wilder/Pie film's don't even rank and often can be purchased somewhere online for $5 a month after release. They also have very low budgets. Most involve pretty young actresses who are desperate to be noticed to where they will go topless for a few moments.

Sucker Punch a Zack Snyder Film - it's a visually striking action film where the key is on action and using action to build suspense with large battles - it's more "300" esque than any of snyders other movies (Watchmen, Dotd) - It's painfully obvious from the trailer that the movie had to have a higher budget than the last 3 or 4 direct comedies combined.

The movie is focusing on visually striking action to lure people in, and face it - it appeals to men with the outfits and looks of the cast. The movie will be like a popcorn flick - one to take as fun and mindless and some critics are incapable of appreciating anything that doesn't feel like it's making a serious oscar run.

300 = 60% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Watchmen = 64%

The Mummy = 54% (often coined the start of "The summer popcorn flick")

All of those movies were entertaining enough to eat down popcorn with and feel like you enjoyed it, and i'll be damned if Watchmen wasn't one of my favorite movies.

Got a date with a beautiful lady for Sucker Punch - Opening Night - And no matter what happens with the date - at least some action will be going on somewhere!

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

you do realize most dvd's don't sell at $25 anymore, regardless of if it's straight to dvd or not.

Disney Blu-Ray/Dvd Combos do and other DVD/Blu combo's do and thats about it, Most Blu's start around $20 and Dvd's around 17 for feature films (IE: Potter, etc) - Some Films like Red were $12.99 on Blu release week and still didn't sell well - asides collectors - the DVD Market is really not that great of a vehicle anymore for direct films - Spirt Camp - a slasher flick that was indie - had trouble selling cast signed copies of the DVD for $30 - hell even I didn't even order one and I collect signed stuff - although my reason why is a bit lulzy)

Take the I Spit on your grave remake. As far as hype goes - it's a remake of one of the most disturbing/violent well known Horror movies among avid horror fans - The original was considered a "classic" and the out of print region 1 DVD sold upwards of $150-200 before they re-released it. Straight to DVD for the remake and it's opening week had prices at $10 for Dvd and $15 for Blu. The rerelease of the original ($20 for the dvd and $23ish for the blu on amazon) Outsold the hyped remake in sales rank by close to 50 spots.

Van Wilder/Pie film's don't even rank and often can be purchased somewhere online for $5 a month after release. They also have very low budgets. Most involve pretty young actresses who are desperate to be noticed to where they will go topless for a few moments.

Sucker Punch a Zack Snyder Film - it's a visually striking action film where the key is on action and using action to build suspense with large battles - it's more "300" esque than any of snyders other movies (Watchmen, Dotd) - It's painfully obvious from the trailer that the movie had to have a higher budget than the last 3 or 4 direct comedies combined.

The movie is focusing on visually striking action to lure people in, and face it - it appeals to men with the outfits and looks of the cast. The movie will be like a popcorn flick - one to take as fun and mindless and some critics are incapable of appreciating anything that doesn't feel like it's making a serious oscar run.

300 = 60% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Watchmen = 64%

The Mummy = 54% (often coined the start of "The summer popcorn flick")

All of those movies were entertaining enough to eat down popcorn with and feel like you enjoyed it, and i'll be damned if Watchmen wasn't one of my favorite movies.

Got a date with a beautiful lady for Sucker Punch - Opening Night - And no matter what happens with the date - at least some action will be going on somewhere!

Hee hee - I could not agree with you more - for once, and that is saying something. :shades:

Hubby *made* me read Watchmen before we went to see the film and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie as a result of the fore-knowledge of the source material. If anything, it was "too faithful" to the original text for critics to truly appreciate it, which is, IMO, why it didn't score well with critics and sailed, for the most part, over the heads of those uninformed movie-goers that had no idea of the source material from which it was based.

I'm taking my hubby and my boys to see this one I am sure they will enjoy it and I, for one, don't mind seeing empowered women acting empowered.

I seriously doubt that those critics who watch flicks of the nature of, say, "Remains of the Day" will appreciate this particular film's formula of action, skin and epic scenery -- but it's their loss, not ours.

nyuseg.png

I saw this movie today and I don't really know what to say. I can't say it was bad because, it was good. I can't say its good because, it was bad. It was just weird, and not in the negative way, just simply weird.

I did enjoy the combat scenes though, one of them gave me some ideas on my own stories as well. :razz: Plus I never felt once the movie was dragging on either.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I saw this movie today and I don't really know what to say. I can't say it was bad because, it was good. I can't say its good because, it was bad. It was just weird, and not in the negative way, just simply weird.

I did enjoy the combat scenes though, one of them gave me some ideas on my own stories as well. :razz: Plus I never felt once the movie was dragging on either.

Pretty much this

The imagery and the fightscenes were phenomenal and the music really went well with the scenes. I enjoyed watching it. But the acting at times was so bad - I laughed. Hard. I'll probably buy it on Blu if it's true it has a total of 20 minutes cut out to make sure it got the PG-13 rating .

if I had to compare it - i'd say it's like southland tales or a mix between the awesome of donnie darko and the fail of S Darko.

Either way, Must now get autographs of Browning as Baby Doll and Jena Malone as Rocket.

Jaime Chung may be the worst actress. EVER

Abraham Lincoln

really? I wasn't talking about actors. As far as male acting Talent. Jon Hamm, Oscar Issac and Scott Glenn all did well in there roles.

Jaime Chung was just simply unbearable. Her lines were delivered with the intensity and passion of a middle school girl handed a machine gun. She was the weakest part of the movie. Other than looks - what does she has on her resume? Dragon Ball Evo? a bit role in Grown ups? Not much.

As far as rocky. The original was nominated for 10 awards, winning three. It's consistently one of the top 100 films per AFI and perhaps one of the most important sports films - period. Raging Bull may be a better boxing film but rocky is a franchise that did quite well. 6 films - 2 "duds" that were average - few movie franchises do that well. Stallone also contributed to the rambo franchise - the 2009 rambo was better than sucker punch in my view, and stallone was a better actor in it - than perhaps anyone in sucker punch. Stallone has brought to two life perhaps two of the most well known movie characters of the last 100 years - comparing him to anyone in Sucker Punch is an insult.

As for Rush Hour? It had a 33 Million Dollar Budget, and made it back it's opening weekend (source: imdb), heck the second one made 67 of it's 90 million back. Both films received positive reviews.

I can't justify Chris Tucker as an actor, but i'd love to see you justify Jaime Chung. You're comparing a guy who stars in comedy mostly (that do well and get good reviews) to an actress who hasn't made a mark yet in anything and out of 5 female leads, mostly unknowns without a lead role before - she's the worst one.

Are you trolling or just posting to post since you didn't bother with a followup to your lulzy direct to dvd statement

If I had to rate the 5 female leads in order of performance i'd go

Jena Malone as Rocket

Abbie Cornish as Sweat Pea

Emily Browning as Baby Doll

Hudgens as Blondie

Chung as Amber

Every Adult (Hamm, Gugino, Scot Glenn,Oscar Isaac) outpreformed the films "five stars" However it was still visually awesome.

Abraham Lincoln

Garbage.

I don't know how they managed to make the movie so boring.

Some scenes were pretty awesome, but overall I'm pretty disappointed.

The best thing about this movie will be me and my friends quoting it for the next week.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I've been avoiding this topic for spoiler reasons, but I just got back from seeing it. It was pretty disappointing. I wasn't expecting anything great either, just some mindless action involving chicks with swords/guns killing things in cool ways. Some of those scenes were cool, it just came up short.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Best embedding I've seen.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Pretty much this

The imagery and the fightscenes were phenomenal and the music really went well with the scenes. I enjoyed watching it. But the acting at times was so bad - I laughed. Hard. I'll probably buy it on Blu if it's true it has a total of 20 minutes cut out to make sure it got the PG-13 rating .

if I had to compare it - i'd say it's like southland tales or a mix between the awesome of donnie darko and the fail of S Darko.

Either way, Must now get autographs of Browning as Baby Doll and Jena Malone as Rocket.

Jaime Chung may be the worst actress. EVER

I wonder if there will an [immediate] Director's Cut version released when it goes to video? :unsure:

nyuseg.png