How Would You Detect Bots?

Alphanos

It's so easy to know who's botting if they don't reply after 5 mins there is approximately a 92% chance they are a bot (statistic is from thousands of tests I've conducted myself over the last 6 months) also you can tell because they are so much slower so if they are skilling like they have downs probably is a bot. (example rcing it takes them really long to empty the pouchs for the 2nd craft but normal people do it 3X faster)

If there alog is private that is also another sign there possibly botting I have reported 3186 bots since august and jagex has only banned/reset 28% of them

Please go away, troll.

OT: By using the streaming video idea only for randoms, the issue of low bandwidth should be possible to address. Jagex could make new randoms which are difficult to computationally solve, yet still require very little bandwidth to stream. These randoms could be less graphically intensive than standard Runescape. Normally, the idea of replacing all current randoms wouldn't be something I would suggest, but in this case it seems like it could result in the permanent eradication of all bots. It's feasible to spend a decent amount of development time on such a large payoff.

As for the specific random mentioned above, this is an excellent example of something which would be almost impossible for bots to solve under the idea of a streaming video engine mode. The idea itself could be tweaked to account for poor vision, but honestly regular Runescape is fairly vision-intensive, so there's only so much that can be done. If Jagex developed half a dozen ideas such as this, and implemented them alongside a streaming video engine mode for random events, bots could actually be a thing of the past.

Please post with refinements/problems/etc to this idea, but unless something else comes up, it's looking like this thread has indeed come up with a permanent technological solution to bots.

Are you upset? My results are real and I've been working very hard on them and I think I know more than someone who started playing rs in 2010 (runetracker, got to love it)

Runetracker only shows when the username was first searched for on runetracker

That is true, however it says he was 0m xp in 2010

372nd to max total level

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so easy to know who's botting if they don't reply after 5 mins there is approximately a 92% chance they are a bot (statistic is from thousands of tests I've conducted myself over the last 6 months) also you can tell because they are so much slower so if they are skilling like they have downs probably is a bot. (example rcing it takes them really long to empty the pouchs for the 2nd craft but normal people do it 3X faster)

If there alog is private that is also another sign there possibly botting I have reported 3186 bots since august and jagex has only banned/reset 28% of them

Please go away, troll.

OT: By using the streaming video idea only for randoms, the issue of low bandwidth should be possible to address. Jagex could make new randoms which are difficult to computationally solve, yet still require very little bandwidth to stream. These randoms could be less graphically intensive than standard Runescape. Normally, the idea of replacing all current randoms wouldn't be something I would suggest, but in this case it seems like it could result in the permanent eradication of all bots. It's feasible to spend a decent amount of development time on such a large payoff.

As for the specific random mentioned above, this is an excellent example of something which would be almost impossible for bots to solve under the idea of a streaming video engine mode. The idea itself could be tweaked to account for poor vision, but honestly regular Runescape is fairly vision-intensive, so there's only so much that can be done. If Jagex developed half a dozen ideas such as this, and implemented them alongside a streaming video engine mode for random events, bots could actually be a thing of the past.

Please post with refinements/problems/etc to this idea, but unless something else comes up, it's looking like this thread has indeed come up with a permanent technological solution to bots.

Are you upset? My results are real and I've been working very hard on them and I think I know more than someone who started playing rs in 2010 (runetracker, got to love it)

Runetracker only shows when the username was first searched for on runetracker

That is true, however it says he was 0m xp in 2010

Then no one searched him before 2011. Doesn't mean the account didn't exist many years ago.

09144a99bb.png

On July 9, 2010, RuneTrack shows me as having 0 experience. On July 10, 2010, RuneTrack shows me as having a total level of 1981. I think this says more about RuneTrack than it does about me.

Now that the troll was successful in diverting us into irrelevant discussion, let's try to get back on-topic.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Move the obsfuscated game's logic to native files and use the Java applet and canvas for only rendering graphics and preloading the game.

(Refection bots)Another option is to create duplicate game methods, where both do the same thing in game, except one will flag the account if reflected upon.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

So based on this (^) i am a bot? I put my Public chat on the Friends only option for the specific reason to keep brainless [bleep]s (like you) from talking to me and over all just pissing me off for having a total lack of logic.

Have you never, in all your days of playing, ever, ever, ever heard of someone that puts his Public chat of while he does an AFK skills (whils probably doing something else too) which would easily affect his response time? Whatadouche.

So based on this (^) i am a bot? I put my Public chat on the Friends only option for the specific reason to keep brainless [bleep]s (like you) from talking to me and over all just pissing me off for having a total lack of logic.

Have you never, in all your days of playing, ever, ever, ever heard of someone that puts his Public chat of while he does an AFK skills (whils probably doing something else too) which would easily affect his response time? Whatadouche.

If I'm trying to get a level fast before work or somthing I hate people being runescape police feeling the need to check that I'm there constantly, and really isn't a bot more likely to have "thank you oh supreme checker of my afk status for deeming to talk to me" coded in as an automatic response than a person is likely to say it?

Leylen.png

Based on ^this^ analysis, then I qualify as a bot. :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Seems legit, reported.

Also, over the past 5 months i've been performing my own tests. 100% of people at bandits are bots, and this is true fact based on scientific statistical logic.

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

Seems legit, reported.

Also, over the past 5 months i've been performing my own tests. 100% of people at bandits are bots, and this is true fact based on scientific statistical logic.

No pics no proof.

Seems legit, reported.

What P-value did you use for your null-hypothesis test?

:D

"The more persistence a game tries to have; the longer it is set up to last; the greater number (and broader variety) of people it tries to attract; and in general the more immersive a game/world it set out to be--then the more breadth and depth of human experience it needs to support to be successful for more than say, 12-24 months. If you try to create a deeply immersive, broadly appealing, long-lasting world that does not adequately provide for human tendencies such as violence, acquisition, justice, family, community, exploration, etc (and I would contend we are nowhere close to doing this), you will see two results: first, individuals in the population will begin to display a wide range of fairly predictable socially pathological behaviors (including general malaise, complaining, excessive bullying and/or PKing, harassment, territoriality, inappropriate aggression, and open rebellion against those who run the game); and second, people will eventually vote with their feet--but only after having passionately cast 'a pox on both your houses.' In essence, if you set people up for an experience they deeply crave (and mostly cannot find in real life) and then don't deliver, they will become like spurned lovers--somebecome sullen and aggressive or neurotic, and eventually almost all leave."

Mike Sellers' Hypothesis

Seems legit, reported.

No pics no proof.

Here is your damned pic.

billy-mays-poster.gif

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

You guys think I'm trolling but I'm not, it's the sad truth, we all need to wake up and take back this countr- runescape. The time to rebel is now, are you in or are you out? Also I'm working a on a video that will prove that Jagex knew before hand that the drop of the christmas crackers in 2001 would cause them to become the most valuable items in the game and did this purely for there own greed to cause players to play more to get the items.

372nd to max total level

To be fair, though, for something as serious as this (banning a potentially innocent person and making them lose thousands of hours of work), 92% confidence is pretty bad.

You guys think I'm trolling but I'm not, it's the sad truth, we all need to wake up and take back this countr- runescape. The time to rebel is now, are you in or are you out? Also I'm working a on a video that will prove that Jagex knew before hand that the drop of the christmas crackers in 2001 would cause them to become the most valuable items in the game and did this purely for there own greed to cause players to play more to get the items.

So you're saying Jagex did something that would cause players to play more so they (Jagex as a bussiness who live off the profits they make) could make more profit? Strange, i always thought the purpose of a business was to make money (profit). I must have had it wrong all these years.

Seems legit, reported.

No pics no proof.

Here is your damned pic.

2yyqws5.jpg

nyuseg.png

I think it is a bit harsh to constantly say jagex only does everything for the money. A healthy, profitable business does not have to mean you throw away your core values. A lot of people in the company probably enjoy what they are doing, it could be really discouraging to constantly hear those negative statements from teenage kids.

"The more persistence a game tries to have; the longer it is set up to last; the greater number (and broader variety) of people it tries to attract; and in general the more immersive a game/world it set out to be--then the more breadth and depth of human experience it needs to support to be successful for more than say, 12-24 months. If you try to create a deeply immersive, broadly appealing, long-lasting world that does not adequately provide for human tendencies such as violence, acquisition, justice, family, community, exploration, etc (and I would contend we are nowhere close to doing this), you will see two results: first, individuals in the population will begin to display a wide range of fairly predictable socially pathological behaviors (including general malaise, complaining, excessive bullying and/or PKing, harassment, territoriality, inappropriate aggression, and open rebellion against those who run the game); and second, people will eventually vote with their feet--but only after having passionately cast 'a pox on both your houses.' In essence, if you set people up for an experience they deeply crave (and mostly cannot find in real life) and then don't deliver, they will become like spurned lovers--somebecome sullen and aggressive or neurotic, and eventually almost all leave."

Mike Sellers' Hypothesis

I think it is a bit harsh to constantly say jagex only does everything for the money. A healthy, profitable business does not have to mean you throw away your core values. A lot of people in the company probably enjoy what they are doing, it could be really discouraging to constantly hear those negative statements from teenage kids.

Im a teenage adult (almost 19 ;)) and I say Jagex chooses money over upholding fair gameplay. I can state the reasons if you want but you should just read the first 2 pages of the Community Management Questions thread, young and old people recognize that Jagex is doing a pretty poor job at keeping the game fair and making sure that cheaters dont prosper.

I am not saying they are doing things right, but to my opinion some people are going way to far.

My comment was more directed to people acting like Jagex set the world on fire. When I said "teenage kids" I did not mean actual age, it was trying to describe behavior (by the way, I am only ~2 years older then you :lol:)

Personally I would like to see more transparency and see them take more effort to cross the gap between them and the players.

Mike Sellers' Hypothesis

When a J mod gets bored they should log in any random world, Roam around a bit and just go trigger happy on the ban button (towards the obvious bots obviously).

They do, I've seen one clean house at flax fields before.

What?

m_theory11.png

I think random events that involve Turing tests would be a good choice.

How do your propose implementing a turing test into randoms that won't be a ridiculous nuisance to real players?

notthemightiesttreeuj3.png

+-------------------------+

| . . . . Pure F2P . . . .|

| sig8.png |

| 73 74 73 75 70 86 65 80 |

| sig9.png |

| 85 80 80 80 80 80 80 65 |

| Combat: 092 Total: 1235 |

Just by reading this thread its quite obvious that bots are a larger problem than some people think. Yes Jagex could improve their systems, but they would have to nut up and take a profit loss. Andrew needs to do something soon. I would rather lose 300,000 a month then to lose the purpose of the game I spent 10 years creating and updating. Besides, if there are less bots to lower prices, more legit players may turn from f2p to p2p to make that extra few million gp a little quicker. Jagex needs to sort their priorities. When SD is released, they better have their butts in line and start the game right otherwise the same thing will happen and the game will become a botfest.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

How about if we just remove free trade, that'll fix a large part of the problem.

Jagex have clearly proven they are unable to handle the bots and therefor the cons are far greater than the pro's

no free trade means it's very hard to transfer gains from bots to other accs, hence making it a lot more difficult.

sebas379.png

[hide]

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing;

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews;

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores;

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

[/hide]