Tip.It Times - 27th March 2011

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I enjoyed reading the "Is There Even a Danger?" article, because all of it is true. I mean, a bunyip is more then enough for a lot of slayer tasks, and if I ever need I always have my saradomin godsword with me. I don't even bring food anymore.

I do however bring a home tab almost everywhere I go that I know I will get attacked/in a fight, you never know.

ib7rVm.png

Regarding the danger posting: basically what has happened is that Jagex has realized there are few player groups who want actual danger in their Runescape. PKing and boss-hunting retain their danger, but most other players merely want the illusion of danger, without having to deal with the potential consequences.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Regarding the danger posting: basically what has happened is that Jagex has realized there are few player groups who want actual danger in their Runescape. PKing and boss-hunting retain their danger, but most other players merely want the illusion of danger, without having to deal with the potential consequences.

I didn't really know how to explain why there really is no danger now in RuneScape right after I read the article... but now that I read this, it does actually retain sense. A shame. I myself want more than that. I hate combat because there is no danger at all in it, except for boss hunting and PKing which I enjoy (though PKing can get costly if I have a bad streak and at my pretty low combats not many bosses are efficient for me to kill). And naturally the minigames, which may not be dangerous in terms of items lost but at least there is a stake of sorts in each (whether it's FoG, Castle wars, or whichever other minigame).

The second article... bleh. I didn't like it, really, and have nothing to say about it.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

I love how the first article goes to great pains to point out, hey, at one point we only had 3 minutes to get our staff back! Amg!

Um, when in the hell was this ever true? Maybe with lower level gravestones, but higher level gravestone were always availble. I mean, when gravestones first came out, as long as you could get a keldragrim grave, 50k would get you 4 minutes.

When they first came out. Yeah. What about before that? Oh, the items just appeared on the floor for anyone to loot like what would presumably happen if a person died, to say, a revenant? Or something?

Anyways, I don't think most players want the sort of risk we used to have. I much prefer gravestones to losing all but my 3 highest alch value items.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

player got stronger, environment remained equally strong -> PC is risking less

i think there's an acceptable amount of risk in PvE scenarios - making a small mistake at a boss won't cost you your bank, but a downright fool might still lose his.

Activities that are dangerous in Runescape: Pvp, Corp, GWD solo, KBD(because you have to run through the wild if you die),chaos elemental.

Apart from that, I can't think of anything. Gravestones were already a joke, and with 15 instead of 6 minutes it's just downright hilarious. There is no area except the above mentioned where you couldn't go easily within 15 mins and collect your stuff. Heck, you could go there four or five times before your timer runs out. There is simply NO danger with normal monsters under any relevant circumstances.

I think gravestones provide just the wrong kind of security. If you die at any normal slayer monster then you'd have to be pretty damn stupid or AFK. Both things that are entirely your fault and therefore should be punished by losing money.

At bosses, if you fight them seriously sometimes death simply can't be prevented. But it's these players that may get punished for dying. I don't think that's how it should be. The risk of dying at slayer monsters if FAR lower, therefore it should be punished a LOT more than dying at a boss imo.

Jagex should just have kept gravestone as they are(or even lower the times, but they probably wouldn't dare that) and code individual solutions for GWD and such.

Second article: Yes it's a trend a lot of people have noticed recently. Tbh, most of these events are a fail and only fun for a tiny minority of players. Jagex shouldn't do community events(or at least not many) and instead provide framework for community events organized by the COMMUNITY, not Jmods. Triumvirate was a nice addition like that, and the clan chat update probably will be too. The rest is mostly just a waste of time and it's sad to see Jagex going into that direction.

I love how the first article goes to great pains to point out, hey, at one point we only had 3 minutes to get our staff back! Amg!

Um, when in the hell was this ever true?

You had about 1-2 (maybe 3) minutes before your items appeared on the floor to everyone. That was PRE-gravestone.

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

Community events last an hour. Updates last for years. There's a clear reason that updates should be considered far more important than non-updates.

Those quests mentioned which were easy-well they would be, at those levels. The quests are designed so they're tough for people with stats like mine-not for people with over 100 combat and what was the best in-game gear at the time, in the same way that a boss fight which requires Torva today would be absurd but mght not be in 5 years.

I'm not an efficienado.

I have to agree with the first article. Things have gotten a little less risky but I just move on up to things that are more challenging.

As for the second article there's another possible reason for the trend. Over the last few years Jagex had rolled out a lot of new content quickly. Often it seemed half developed & had plenty of glitches. The players had also become far less social. Maybe, just maybe Jagex actually noticed & decided to actually try to correct that trend. By introducing more community events they were able to take the focus away from the updates giving them more time to get them properly developed & into play. :thumbsup: I know that's wishful thinking but lets hope that's what they had in mind.

lord_uathen.png

Article definitely worth to read.

In my opinion i liked it more before, without summoning. May i say it only because i play usualy on f2p and my summon lv is low. Everything is now so easy if you have decent summoning level. But yeah, its progress. Everything has to improve over time. Maybe i am just too conservative and dont like new things making life easier.

hybridwinner.png

friendlyrunner.png

74519794.png

IMG.png

1024345760c9a10adabb996d3a25c754381ee4e6.gif

Um, when in the hell was this ever true?

You had about 1-2 (maybe 3) minutes before your items appeared on the floor to everyone. That was PRE-gravestone.

There was one minute for your stuff to recollect your stuff without it appearing to others. Another minute of it being visible for everything. That's exactly 2 minutes in total. not 3.

I have to agree with the first article. Things have gotten a little less risky but I just move on up to things that are more challenging.

As for the second article there's another possible reason for the trend. Over the last few years Jagex had rolled out a lot of new content quickly. Often it seemed half developed & had plenty of glitches. The players had also become far less social. Maybe, just maybe Jagex actually noticed & decided to actually try to correct that trend. By introducing more community events they were able to take the focus away from the updates giving them more time to get them properly developed & into play. :thumbsup: I know that's wishful thinking but lets hope that's what they had in mind.

If it is, they still haven't understood how it works. If you want players to socialize, you give them the possibility and the incentive to do so (clan chats etc., incentive to form clans) community events don't really change anything about that.

Oh and the content is still just as half developed. Row glitch, dozens of duel arena glitches and similar.

I remember doing Dragon Slayer at level 40ish. I got a full invent of lobsters, made sure my run energy was at the max, got a teleport... quadruple checked my armor...

I ended up eating 2 lobsters. :huh:

Quite recently, at level 68 combat, I still packed a rc guild teletab to go fight lessers. :lol:

To be brutally honest I thought this was a very poorly written article. An opinion piece doesn't need to tell the reader that it's an opinion. It's reads like a poorly written forum post. Maybe the tip.it editors should take a greater role in making sure the content posted actually meets it's usual standard?

Guest jrhairychest

In response to the 'Is there a danger post' the game has become much easier. The continuous churning out of new weapons and armour has made the game simpler as time goes on so it becomes less of a challenge. Interestingly RS is one of the few games I know of that become simpler at higher levels. I'm an old school gamer who always thought that games should become progressivley harder the further you progress, in order to keep the stimulation going. This is why I smirked, as I always do, when you mention 'Elite' players in the same sentence as RS.

@ Is There Even a Danger?

It took me a while to get the items that you mentioned to make combat easier. And getting 99 Magic and Defense also took a while. And i agree that most monsters are taken lightly, but when a monster becomes easier to kill because you acquire a healing item (EEE) or a better offensive weapon (Chaotic rapier/Long/Maul), the drops will also go down in price. Look at Ice strykewyrms, Staff of light is bloody 2Mish.

The only good perspective the article gave me is that Jagex should release more monsters where you can´t just click and kill. A good example of monsters like that are ice strykewyrms. But then again if Slayer monsters or regular monsters become to strong and demanding to kill, then they will be labeled as a "boss".

I find article repeating what i already know, and again if you make a slayer or a general monster to strong or demanding, it will be automatically considered a boss. And bosses (Monsterhunting) has loads danger there, so why not go and get yourself killed.