so jagex lied

Kevin_

OMG give them a break their only human and they have limted moeny resurces everything could any of you manage taht site and still make such a big update!? I don't think so mabey a master programer could but is that what they have mabey but they have to do other things to! :evil:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how dou you know this?

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

And how dou you know this?

My cousin was at the same graphics design school as one of the graphic designers that now works at jagex. They became friends and they occasionally talk about work. I asked my cousin if he had said anything about Runescape, and he replied that he was finishing a big project with his team, and it was implementing a housing system. He said that it would be around this time that it would be put in.

Off topic:

"Client-side" infers that YOUR computer handles something. In RuneScape, the only thing your computer(the client) does is show graphics. Everything else is handled by the server. Things like the Bank and Farming are most likely handled using data that is linked to your character, which is all stored server-side. You only see what you see because the farming patches are linked to that data.

Sorry, mis-use of terms is one of my pet peeves.

On Topic:

I wish they had NEVER mentioned Carpentry and POH's when they released RS2. It just generated more noise. like this. Perhaps it will come out, perhaps not. Either way, I don't care about them. Jagex has always had a real bad problem with "scope creep" -- in other words, they found out projects required more time and effort than they planned for.

Jagex has always had a real bad problem with "scope creep" -- in other words, they found out projects required more time and effort than they planned for.

Off Topic:

If you're going to complain about other people's misuse of terms then you really shouldn't go ahead and do it yourself. Scope creep refers to stakeholders/clients putting more and more requests for functionality into a project, thereby creating a bigger project than was originally intended, creating a budget/time blowout - rather than the developers underestimating the effort involved.

One of my pet peeves too :)

siganizq4.gif

I agree with the ppl who said jagex is working hard so leave them alone

i mean they workd their A### off and u guys complain i mean when i complain its usually something that is not jagex realated but more monster related and Jagex is kind enuogh to give u an account

Sorry but it annoys me when ppl complain about Jagex itself :x

Jagex has always had a real bad problem with "scope creep" -- in other words, they found out projects required more time and effort than they planned for.

Off Topic:

If you're going to complain about other people's misuse of terms then you really shouldn't go ahead and do it yourself. Scope creep refers to stakeholders/clients putting more and more requests for functionality into a project, thereby creating a bigger project than was originally intended, creating a budget/time blowout - rather than the developers underestimating the effort involved.

One of my pet peeves too :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he at least 50% correct on what he said? They did under estimate the time in which it took to code something.

Maybe I'm just misreading, it is getting late... so maybe I'm not as focused as I usually am.

Shiva.jpeg

R.I.P Shiva

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he at least 50% correct on what he said? They did under estimate the time in which it took to code something.

Maybe I'm just misreading, it is getting late... so maybe I'm not as focused as I usually am.

No, he may well be 50% (or even 100%) right on what is causing the delay. But underestimating development time is not scope creep - even though the two things have the same effect - delaying the project.

It's like if you asked a builder to build you a house. 3 bedrooms, a living room, kitchen, dining room, laundry and bathroom.

Now if the builder told you it would take four weeks, but he failed to consider the time it would take him to lay the foundations in the rocky ground and get building approval - and it ends up taking eight weeks, then that's simply his underestimation.

If you keep going back to him and saying "Put a games room in here", "Make them 9 foot ceilings instead of 8 foot", "Build a verandah around the whole house" and it ends up taking eight weeks, then that's "scope creep"... the 'scope' of the project keeps 'creeping' outwards.

siganizq4.gif

i dont see the point of carpentry, so what i have 8 chairs you have 2 cabinets

you can be able to have a bed where you can play with you're little friend :?:

Some people dream of success, while others make it happen.

Paul

Jagex Mod

05 Dec 2005 14:49 Edit Message

As some of you may have noticed, we haven't included playerowned houses in our December updates.

For those who had there hopes up high sorry for the disappointment.

They are simply not ready. We have not forgotten about them and have staff working very hard on them and they will come out. We have now done a lot of work on them, but there is a fair amount of work left to go. It's not a simple project and they're actually still a fair way off.

We know we predicted that they were would be out by the end of the year, but that was just a prediction because people constantly ask us about them all the time. I'm sorry turns out we were wrong.

People saying we are breaking promises, they weren't intended as promises. They were only predictions, because we kept on getting asked about the things. Realistically sepaking we can only give predictions, there are far to many factors to know for sure when such big projects will be done.

Sorry if it came accross to anyone as anything more than a prediction, because I can assure you definite cast iron promises weren't the intent.

I'm not going to tell you our aims for a release date for this project right now. - we've made that mistake far to many times already. I simply don't know enough to say anything for sure. If we miss it then i'll just get accused of breaking promises or lying again.

Last edited by Paul on 06 Dec 2005 10:35

Im taking this as an apology and therfor not mad at them. I suggest the rest of you do the same.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

No, he may well be 50% (or even 100%) right on what is causing the delay. But underestimating development time is not scope creep - even though the two things have the same effect - delaying the project.

It's like if you asked a builder to build you a house. 3 bedrooms, a living room, kitchen, dining room, laundry and bathroom.

Now if the builder told you it would take four weeks, but he failed to consider the time it would take him to lay the foundations in the rocky ground and get building approval - and it ends up taking eight weeks, then that's simply his underestimation.

If you keep going back to him and saying "Put a games room in here", "Make them 9 foot ceilings instead of 8 foot", "Build a verandah around the whole house" and it ends up taking eight weeks, then that's "scope creep"... the 'scope' of the project keeps 'creeping' outwards.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up.

Shiva.jpeg

R.I.P Shiva

Paul

Jagex Mod

05 Dec 2005 14:49 Edit Message

As some of you may have noticed, we haven't included playerowned houses in our December updates.

For those who had there hopes up high sorry for the disappointment.

They are simply not ready. We have not forgotten about them and have staff working very hard on them and they will come out. We have now done a lot of work on them, but there is a fair amount of work left to go. It's not a simple project and they're actually still a fair way off.

We know we predicted that they were would be out by the end of the year, but that was just a prediction because people constantly ask us about them all the time. I'm sorry turns out we were wrong.

People saying we are breaking promises, they weren't intended as promises. They were only predictions, because we kept on getting asked about the things. Realistically sepaking we can only give predictions, there are far to many factors to know for sure when such big projects will be done.

Sorry if it came accross to anyone as anything more than a prediction, because I can assure you definite cast iron promises weren't the intent.

I'm not going to tell you our aims for a release date for this project right now. - we've made that mistake far to many times already. I simply don't know enough to say anything for sure. If we miss it then i'll just get accused of breaking promises or lying again.

Last edited by Paul on 06 Dec 2005 10:35

Im taking this as an apology and therfor not mad at them. I suggest the rest of you do the same.

I never saw this because i dont go on the official forums, but this was exactly what I was wanting jagex to post.

I have no problem with them not being done, My only problem is they need to stop saying it should be out by this date and its not....paul clearely said there that hesgoing to stop doing date predictions because they are never met.

And it was actually posted in the begining of december, which means he was partially on top of things.

sig1178ko.jpg

Sykoknight - 1900 skill total - 132+ combat

Fighting High Scores from late 2001 - Ranked 1894

Prayer High Scores from March 2002 - Ranked 749

Ya, I've been around too long.

Oh noes they missed the two most craptacular updates of all this year. Why on earth would you want a house? Somewhere to keep your wife and have a family?

Go play The Sims and leave us runescapers well alone please.

Off topic:

Little more clarification: Is it considered 'scope creep' when the developers (or the project managers) themselves decide to add features to a project, rather than the client specifically asking for said project? Like, in your example, the builders decide to add 2 more bathrooms even though the client did not ask for them?

Jagex more or less work for themselves, no one tells them they must put magic coffee mugs of +1 twitchiness into the game. Us players are the closest things to clients they have. I don't know how many additions to the game have been specifically asked for...

Then again, I guess whoever is at the top deciding what features to put in would be considered the 'client.'

On topic:

I'm glad to see Paul's post on the Carpentry/ POH delay. I just wish they'd learned this lesson back in the RSC days, and just surprised us completely with Carpentry. People ignored the word "try" in Jagex's statement. Try doesn't mean for sure they'll have it out by the end of the year., but that's the goal they're aiming for.

Somewhere to keep your wife and have a family?

Oh noes, some moron thinks a house is only for keeping a family.

How about thinking about what OTHER things it can give? Bigger banking system, a whole new skill, a whole new way of earning GP, etc.

It's better to be optimistic in life, :roll: you tend to live longer.

While I think a new skill like carpentry and having your own house will be really nice additions to the game, I'm in no great hurry for it. I've been playing for over a year and I still have only touched the surface of the game, in my mind anyway. There's always so much to do and so many nice updates that I manage to keep myself pretty busy, even if I decide to play for hours, lol. I think we get good quality for 5 bucks a month. Just be patient and it will all work out. For now, go chop a tree, play gnomeball, or make a new friend. It's only a game right?

Off topic:

Little more clarification: Is it considered 'scope creep' when the developers (or the project managers) themselves decide to add features to a project, rather than the client specifically asking for said project? Like, in your example, the builders decide to add 2 more bathrooms even though the client did not ask for them?

Feature bloat rather than scope creep when the dev team puts lots of new bells and whistles into an otherwise straightforward project. I'm always guilty of that myself...

Boss: Why have you spent three weeks on that?

Me: Because it's cool.

siganizq4.gif