My Life is Ruined

runeprincess

I have a confession - Runescape is my life. Now this really sucks because my dad bought some Webwatcher Adware for 100 bucks a month where he can see every keystroke I type, every website, every email and chat, etc. The worst thing it can do after invading people's privacy is block websites, which my dad did. He blocked Gmail, Facebook, Hulu, Youtube, and Runescape. I finally managed to hack into his email and retrieve the username and password for the Webwatcher account. I changed the settings and for now (until he finds out) he can't view any keystrokes, websites, emails, or chats. I also changed the settings so that it cannot block Runescape. After these settings were changed I restarted my computer and to my delight, Facebook, and Gmail, Hulu, and Youtube were all unblock. I saved Runescape for last since I knew I would spend another 12-15 hours on it. When I went to their website it was blocked for some reason. I logged onto the Webwathcer account again and it said that the website was unblocked! But it wasn't! I restarted my computer 10 or 11 more times until I gave up on that. Then I tried Miniclip's Runescape - it was also blocked. I downloaded the Runescape Client - it was also blocked. (I have tried Proxy Servers but they don't support Java). I tried 8 different internet browsers, cleared my cookies, tried on a different computer user account - they were all blocked. Now I noticed one thing in common. Each time I tried to access Runescape no matter what wat, I got a message saying "Server Error" or "Computer does not support server." Does anyone know what that means? Also does anyone know of any other way I could get Runescape to work? The next thing I'm gong to try is to re-install Windows 7 again. Does anyone thing this may or may not work? Everyone's advice, suggestions, comments, questions, and facts are welcome! Thanks for helping me get my life back.

Catherine

Well to be honest, if Runescape is your life you should take a break from it for a couple of days, seriously. But first thing is block it again, then restart your computer and then unblock it again. If it still doesn't work then paste the message you get when it gets blocked and myself or someone will help.

What's Runescape?

I would suggest first and foremost you discuss this website blocking matter with your father.

I think you guys could at least reach some common ground and at least have him let you play RS for at least a few hours a day/week.

Maybe try and convince him that it's better and safer that you play RS going out with your friends partying and stuff, at least worth a try.

sigre4.png
999r.png

Proxy?

You might need to take a break, play some xBox, maybe some WoW, write an erotic fiction.

No need to do anything as drastic as go outside but take a break from Runescape.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

You could somewhat easily just get rid of the software off your computer, but sadly I think your dad might have something to say about that, not least because you say that he is paying $100 a month to have it on there. I would just talk to your dad about it before you go any further.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

try using ultrasurf

download it from ultrareach.com

it works for me when my rs is blocked

basically what it is is a advanced proxy that is booted from an executable file and it is mainly used in places like china where the government blocks websites

as long as internet is available it should work to bypass any blocking

when i go on rs via ultrasurf i have to use sun force java from java options, otherwise it wont work

sun force java is only available when using internet explorer, so make sure u have that too.

try not being too addicted to rs tho...

Durmstrang.png

Go Chicago Bears!

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity

To seize everything you ever wanted-One moment

Would you capture it or just let it slip?"

Password protect the administrator account on your computer

Or, reinstall windows and password protect it.

Also password protect the bios

Is it YOUR computer? If you're over 18 he is violating the US patriot act and can go to jail.

But if you say "runescape is mah life!!", I would assume you're still in school, in which case, no, something is seriously wrong if you';re under 17 and ruenscape is your life.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Password protect the administrator account on your computer

Or, reinstall windows and password protect it.

Also password protect the bios

Is it YOUR computer? If you're over 18 he is violating the US patriot act and can go to jail.

But if you say "runescape is mah life!!", I would assume you're still in school, in which case, no, something is seriously wrong if you';re under 17 and ruenscape is your life.

no, any parent should be able to help their child..

Heck any person should be able to help an addicted person, if laws put you in jail for that I dare say the laws a violation of human rights.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Phone an ISP and get your own internet connection. Or just move out, get your own place and own internet.

There must be a reason your dad blocked all this stuff however, maybe you should sit down and have a little chat.

HTH

Xmrwhitex

Xmrwhitex.png

try using ultrasurf

basically what it is is a advanced proxy that is booted from an executable file and it is mainly used in places like china where the government blocks websites

when i go on rs via ultrasurf i have to use sun force java from java options, otherwise it wont work

sun force java is only available when using internet explorer, so make sure u have that too.

The sounds like it might work. :thumbsup: How do I download it though? It comes as a zip folder and when I try to open it it says that it's not available. Could you tell me how you get it to work?

Thanks! :lol:

try using ultrasurf

The sounds like it might work. :thumbsup: How do I download it though? It comes as a zip folder and when I try to open it it says that it's not available. Could you tell me how you get it to work?

you have to extract the zip folder.

i believe if you right click there should be an option for extracting it, or when you double click on it, it should ask you if you want to extract it or something like that.

gl with it :)

Durmstrang.png

Go Chicago Bears!

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity

To seize everything you ever wanted-One moment

Would you capture it or just let it slip?"

try using ultrasurf

you have to extract the zip folder.

i believe if you right click there should be an option for extracting it, or when you double click on it, it should ask you if you want to extract it or something like that.

gl with it :)

Haha yeah I know that it's just that my stupid computer won't extract it. No worries though - I read the Support page and it said if it doesn't extract to download StuffIt. It's downloading right now and I hope it works!

Btw - I'm thirteen and I've been illegally playing Runescape since I was 7 (since you have to be thirteen to play). Also, I have taken a break from Runescape and then last week I was randomly doing dishes when the Barbarian song got stuck in my head and I new I had to play it again (it's been blocked since December but little does my dad know that it's charging him every month for membership still).

Thanks!

EDIT: Since December 2009.

Why not try uninstalling the damn thing? Oh wait, maybe you should realize that Runescape, first and foremost, is a horrible game. Also, good on your dad for blocking Runescape, as you'll be happy for it later. As for everything else, there is no reason to block the rest of it.

Also, anything with "adware" in it's name generally is malicious. This webwatcher crap is notorious for doing a lot of things it shouldn't, like hiding the process. It's a malicious thing. It doesn't show up on the tab either. Well, I found what might help you in any case:

http://www.removeadware.com.au/articles/webwatcher/

This might help.

Also, you've been playing since you were 7? God, you have some really [cabbage]ty parents. Goddamn they should be jailed for letting such a travesty like this occur.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I've been playing Runescape since I was 8. Only once weekly mind you as I didn't have a computer till grade 5.

Anyways, you should feel bad that your dad is wasting $1200 a year on software just so you won't play a game. Try working out a plan with him where you can only play 5 hours a week, or only after you do your homework and go outside for a bit. As for getting rid of the program, I'm assuming it's sophisticated enough that you can't uninstall it or stop its process. What you can try doing is finding its folder in /Program Files and deleting it, but I can't promise that won't cause more problems, and likely won't work either.

runeprincess, you're finding RS is blocked? I would bet this malware has altered your hosts file, and/or has separate blocking parameters for Browser, Java, Game Clients, and everything else. That's just an FYI in the event that you're not going to have any 'words' with your dad about this. However, if I were you, I would only take this action automatically in addition to what I've said below in the event that the computer is honestly yours. :shades:

Honestly, though, I know and understand how you're feeling. Your dad has violated the trust that should always be present between a father and his daughter. While I can understand that it seems like cloak-and-dagger gray-hat tactics seem like the best approach, they're not. You really need to pull together a dose of maturity and come down on your dad double-footed with your choice of words in a manner that he can't defend his stance on the matter, and your mom (even as much as she loves him) would back you up on. Just watch out, though, because we all know how male parents just love using that "Control By Fear" card when they think it's their only option left. You'll have to have a choice of words ready that will make him understand trying to pull that is very useless and that physical blockades will only make the matter worse. Parents have a right to some influence over their childrens' lives, but not to treating their children like prison inmates. :ugeek:

~Mr. D. V. "Expose your dad's wrongdoing for what it is!" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Lol, I really liked how somebody said move out and get your own place.

Just to play runescape? Seriously?

You will find that was me...

First off i didnt know how old the op was at the time of making my post. I assumed (I know!) she was old enough to get her own place / internet.

Second no not just to play RS... to have the freedom to do what they want and when.

Now the op age has come to light i have to say if your playing 15 hours a day at your age something has to be wrong and your dad may have a point in blocking everything. You should be studying or getting out and about in the real world. If my kid was on the internet that much i would just cancel the internet.

You say RS is your Life...you should power down the pc and go for a long walk in the real world. There are far more impressive things to see and things to accomplish.

Xmrwhitex.png

Wow some people here should mind their own damn business, take their head out of their ass, and then walk away from this conversation. Good for you that you've devoted your time to a good game like Runescape. For all you people that have your head so far up your ass, read this.

Runescape may be just a game, and gold merely pixels, yet I would add that life is an accident, free will and identity are illusions, and all things are ultimately one and the same.

Quit Runescape and pursue success in business, sport, music etc by all means, but do so only because it makes you happy. Do not fool yourself that it is any less ephemeral, or any more significant, than those pixels.

Oro

THANKS SWAGCAKE!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

ITS WORKING ON ULTASURF THANKS TO YA! :wink: I LOVE YOU!!!

Catherine

EDIT: and soulfires thank you for that sweet comment. :) runescape has taught me a lot and it has also inspired me to plant a garden (farming)! and taught me many skills needed in life. I love you too!

Whether you're mean or sweet or just viewing this article, I love you! <3: <3: <3: <3: <3: <3: <3: <3: <3: <3: <3: <3: <3: <3: <3: <3: <3:

I would add that life is an accident,

yours maybe...

in all seriousness if uve been playing 15 hrs a day im sure they didnt just instantly jump to the biggest precaution.. most parents would atleast talk to their kids first or try to reason with them or warn them before completely blocking the game..

You don't know my parents. I've talked to them. They won't let me have Runescape back because they don't "like the game itself."

Also, the Ultrasurf isn't working anymore. Every time it is logging my account into the game the tab closes and says "something cause Internet Explorer's tab to close." I tried six times. Ultrasurf only works on Internet Explorer so I guess I'm doomed. My last resort was to re-install Windows 7 but my dad knows what I'm up to so I guess if no one else has any other suggestions or ways to unblock Runescape, I'll just update my status to Retired. You guys all go and enjoy your freedom.

You don't know my parents. I've talked to them. They won't let me have Runescape back because they don't "like the game itself."

Also, the Ultrasurf isn't working anymore. Every time it is logging my account into the game the tab closes and says "something cause Internet Explorer's tab to close." I tried six times. Ultrasurf only works on Internet Explorer so I guess I'm doomed. My last resort was to re-install Windows 7 but my dad knows what I'm up to so I guess if no one else has any other suggestions or ways to unblock Runescape, I'll just update my status to Retired. You guys all go and enjoy your freedom.

There is a firefox version of ultrasurf. (I had the same problem you do)

If this is just software installed on the computer, why not use a Linux live CD/USB with Java and a browser?

The restrictive software won't be running, and any logs should indicate that the computer is powered off.

Just watch out, though, because we all know how male parents just love using that "Control By Fear" card when they think it's their only option left.

What?

I really don't, but I'm sorry you think all fathers (or only fathers) deliberately instill fear in an attempt to control.