EP Recruitment Drive 2011 - OVER

Editorial Panel Recruitment Drive

bla_1306800000.png

About The Editorial Panel

• The Editorial Panel is a group of users dedicated to writing articles for and editing the
Tip.it Times and we are recruiting! We are looking for talented writers, opinionated users, people with unique RuneScape ideas/thoughts, and editors! You don't have to be an incredible writer to join the team because our editors will proofread your articles for spelling, grammar, organization and flow. We're looking for people who can stir discussion, provoke thought and encourage debate. So even if you don't normally find yourself writing articles but often create threads to discuss ideas and issues in General Discussion, this may be the job for you! :thumbsup:

About The Job

• This is a volunteer, non-paying job.
  • Authors and editors are typically given an assignment once a month, for which they must meet their deadline.
  • Editorial Panel members' work is published for hundreds of users to read, discuss and enjoy!

Available Positions

[hide=Positions]

• Author

• Tip.it Times authors are responsible for writing editorial and/or fictional articles related to the RuneScape game. The authors are placed on a monthly schedule for releasing articles. Editorial articles should be blog-like, controversial, original, interesting and thought provoking. They reflect your personal opinions (or what you notice that other peoples' opinions are) about RuneScape updates, features or general happenings. Fictional writers create stories that occur in a RuneScape setting. Stories should be engaging, exciting and related to the game. All authors must be able to accept constructive criticism from both their team members before the article is released and from the Tip.it community after the article is published.

Word count for articles is flexible, but is expected to be a minimum of about 600 words.

Editor

• Editors are very important parts of the Editorial Panel. They are responsible for reading, editing and commenting on articles before they are published. They review articles for accuracy, quality, spelling and grammatical errors. As such, they are required to have good writing skills and knowledge of grammatical rules. Editors are also encouraged to comment on and critique the content of the article and give suggestions where they see fit. They are also welcome to provide topic suggestions to authors.

Editors may also write their own articles if they wish, but authors are given priority time slots.

[/hide]

How To Apply

• PM your application to Staff_Applications - do not post it here!
  • Put Editorial Panel Application as the subject.
  • Take your time to make a good impression. Do not rush or put in half effort.
  • Read and answer each question thoroughly and to the best of your ability.
  • Even if your application is not chosen, we will keep it on record and contact you at a later date if need be.
  • Applications close 31 May 2011.

Application

[hide=Application Read Only]Tell Us About Your Relationship With Tip.It

1. How long have you been a member of Tip.It (in months)? What is your current post count?

2. Please provide a link to your Tip.It profile:

3. Which forum board(s) do you read/post on most often?

Tell Us Your Qualifications

4. Are you currently playing RuneScape? If so, how much time each week do you dedicate to playing?

5. Do you feel comfortable being given a writing/editing schedule and working on a deadline?

6. How much writing experience do you have, if any?

7. How much time do you have to dedicate to writing/editing articles each week?

8. If applying for Author, please submit with this application one article that could be used as a guest article with the Tip.it Times.

9. Explain why you want to be an Editorial Panel member and how you would benefit the team.

10. Please specify which position you are most interested in: author or editor.

11. Is English your native language? If not, would you consider yourself to be a fluent English writer?

More About You

12. This question is NOT part of Editorial Panel hiring criteria, but will help us to know you better:

13. Tell us anything else you'd like us to know about you here! Favorite color, hobbies, sports, education, etc. Let us know who YOU are! [/hide]

[hide=In Code Tags - Copy From Here!]

[size="3"][b]Tell Us About Your Relationship With Tip.It[/b][/size]

[b]1. How long have you been a member of Tip.It (in months)? What is your current post count?[/b]

[b]2. Please provide a link to your Tip.It profile:[/b]

[b]3. Which forum board(s) do you read/post on most often?[/b]

[size="3"][b]Tell Us Your Qualifications[/b][/size]

[b]4. Are you currently playing RuneScape?  If so, how much time each week do you dedicate to playing?[/b]

[b]5. Do you feel comfortable being given a writing/editing schedule and working on a deadline?[/b]

[b]6. How much writing experience do you have, if any?[/b]

[b]7. How much time do you have to dedicate to writing/editing articles each week?[/b]

[b]8. If applying for Author, please submit with this application one article that could be used as a guest article with the Tip.it Times.[/b]

[b]9. Explain why you want to be an Editorial Panel member and how you would benefit the team.[/b]

[b]10. Please specify which position you are most interested in: author or editor.[/b]

[b]11. Is English your native language?  If not, would you consider yourself to be a fluent English writer?[/b]

[size="3"][b]More About You[/b][/size]

[b]12. This question is NOT part of Editorial Panel hiring criteria, but will help us to know you better:[/b]

[list][*][b]Which age group do you fall into? (Select one) 13-15 16-18 19-25 25+[/b]

[*][b]In what country do you live? Time Zone?[/b]

[*][b]What is your RSN? Link to the RS High Scores or provide any self-updating stat-signature.[/b] 

http://services.runescape.com/m=hiscore/compare.ws?user1=USERNAMEHERE[/list]
[b]13. Tell us anything else you'd like us to know about you here! Favorite color, hobbies, sports, education, etc. Let us know who YOU are! [/b]

[/hide]

REMEMBER - Just be yourself. Take your time and put effort into your application. It is better to go into too much detail than to not put in enough detail. Applications are not being run on a first come, first served basis, so there's no need to rush. All applications will be reviewed by Tip.it Administrators and the current Editorial Panel team.

We look forward to reading your applications! :thumbsup: If you have any questions you may PM myself, Racheya or tripsis. Alternatively you may post your question on this topic. But DO NOT post your application here!

- Tip.it Times Staff

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

If you're on the fence about applying...apply! :-D Being on the EP is a very rewarding and eye-opening experience.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

If you're on the fence about applying...apply! :-D Being on the EP is a very rewarding and eye-opening experience.

I couldn't agree more. You've got nothing to lose by applying.

Good luck to all the applicants :thumbsup:

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

I wouldn't know what to write an article about. Couldn't we have 'Editorial Panel Assistant' positions?

What would this position do?

We do have the editor position as the OP indicates, for proofreading and co-ordination.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I wouldn't know what to write an article about. Couldn't we have 'Editorial Panel Assistant' positions?

What would this position do?

We do have the editor position as the OP indicates, for proofreading and co-ordination.

Well, the Editor position would require good knowledge of the rules of the English language - a skill that I, and perhaps other potential candidates appear to lack. If people completely new to the concept of writing articles apply, then they may not produce very good articles until weeks/months into working with the team of volunteers called the Editorial Panel.

I think it would be nice to play the devil's advocate when it comes to writing articles - it gets boring to see articles about how macroing is unethical and 'bad' for the RS Community. Surely there would be some benefits to having some bots around...

An example of another controversial article could be that the idea of selling gold for real money may not be a bad idea, if the seller of the said gold would be JaGex themselves. However, a black market is likely to arise if the price is deemed too high, as long as the trade system is unchanged, thus it may not be the solution to end RWTing (and the incentive to bot).

In TET, there's a thread for TET Event Suggestions - Is it possible to create a similar thread for Tipit Times articles too?

Interesting. I'm not really involved with the EP, but I know that with the clan chronicle, we accept guest articles...perhaps the EP would as well if you wanted to offer a different viewpoint?

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

The EP does accept guest articles :) So if you don't feel that you can commit full time, feel free to write a guest article and PM it to Racheya or another EP member for consideration.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I might add that Editors do not just correct grammar. All members of the EP are allowed to provide feedback, criticism, etc. for an article. Ultimately, it is up to the author which version of the article they choose to publish, but the editors give plenty of "devil's advocate" feedback. Like I said above, being on the EP is very eye-opening. We don't just take articles "as is" and there are more ideas tossed about by authors and editors than you might think. Often there is a great idea, but by Thursday, General Discussion has already droned on for 8 pages about it. How interesting would it be to rehash a topic that has already been discussed? If you've got good ideas, save them, write them down, and work out a piece for the Times instead of posting it in GD :thumbsup:

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Its easy to write a proper article... Once you know how...

Just find any subject you're passionate about, and write it down coherently = article...

When it is a massivly under-highlighted subject, or it has a unique new angle = good article...

When it resonate (positively or negatively) with the audience and cause a lot of discussion = great article...

When it gets acknowledgement and feedback from the powers that be/smarter people than me (not neccisarily the same people) = awesome article...

When the article actually does have an impact and (initiates plans to) change things around per suggestions in the article = EPIC article...

That's the scale I'm working with, more or less...

Start slowly, as not every article even makes it to the awesome-o level :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Meh Can I get on this? I couldn't use one of my old accounts because I lost the email and password to it ,but I'm a bit of a writer myself! I will fill out an application because I can and will!

But, I do not have an written articles that I can post for the numero ocho! I haven't written any articles in a very long time must have been at least almost a decade in a couple years since I last wrote one. I'm more of a suggested idea quest guide writer than an actual quest guide writer or article writer. I do however, am very awesome with my punctuation skills :)

-PEACE,

Saiga Tatsumi

P.S. Check out my new quest that I will be posting(BOTH ON TIP.ITS AND RS OFFICIAL FORUMS)

Here is what the quest is called, "Powers At Be..." It takes you back in time after the death of Elvarg as you search for her Father/Mate. It is going to be a Non-Member Quest which will require the person to have completed all of the Non-Members Quests. You will play as an Unsung Justified Heroe known as, "Paladin-Commander Duelgan"(pronounced=Dool-Gane) Commanding a, "Captain Barzhan"(pronounced=Baar-Zon) with the aid of Guthixian Druids. Under the watchful and helpful eye of, "Arch Druid Teigah"(pronounced=Tay-Gaa). You are an Ancient Paladin of Great Saradomin. Who stages an Anti-Coupe against your lord with a ragtag clan of Paladins, Knights, Templars, and Priests with Guthixian Druids and the help of The Watchful Eye Guardian of Guthix, "Saville"(pronounced=Saa-Veele) against the Death/Banishment of Zaros. Later, in this Story you help Zarosian Mages defeat some of Zamoraks ragtag Mahjarrat.

And in the End you gain a new Spell Book that works with Prayer.

Peace Homies! Photographer by Day! Sword Saint by Night!

About Applying who do we Send the Application to and what format must it be in I prefer using Notepad.

-PEACE,

Saiga Tatsumi

About Applying who do we Send the Application to and what format must it be in I prefer using Notepad.

It's all explained in the "How To Apply" section of the first post.

I sent in my application. Wish me luck. :shades:

BTW: Rainy, there's an extra at the beginning of code tags.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

-PEACE,

Saiga Tatsumi

You'll be sending your application to Staff_Applications as the message content, not as an attachment so no need to worry about format :)

Good luck!

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Well, good luck to those who apply. From an outsider's standpoint a suggestion of topics might not seem such a bad idea. These might spawn challenging topics for those who wish to tackle them, perhaps it would be something like brainstorming :D Ofcourse this is outside the scope of this thread.

Final1.jpg

Meh Unicorn you should apply then since you make quite a nice view point on this situation mate!

-PEACE,

Saiga Tatsumi

Okay Thanks Amigo!

Wish me Luck guys I just sent my Application in ^.^

-PEACE,

Saiga Tatsumi

Good luck, mate. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us. :)

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

A question to those who manage the applications: If I am applying to be an author, does the 'guest article' submission have to be a minimum of 600 words? Also, as a hypothetical situation: If my application is successful and I manage to get the position, am I allowed to use the submission as my real article?