~ Big Profits at the Blast Furnace, 500k gp an Hour ~

NukeMarine

**For the Next Month, this will still work better than ever. As you can now UNNOTE coal with no risk, you can do this at the Blast Furnace World on Server 58. Sell bars at GE to get 16k - runner's payment per trade in profit**

Blast Furnace is at Keldagrim, an underground Dwarven city. It's a nice place where you can smelt bars using half the normal coal. On the down side, it needs a team to run it efficiently.

What You Need:

Skills

70 Smithing (60 minimum, to do mith bars)

30 Strength (operate pump)

30 Agility (bike ore into furnace)

30 Firemaking (load fuel to furnace)

30 Crafting (fix any breaks)

Items

Boots of Lightness (optional)

500k gp (can vary, 75x amount of addy ore you have)

1500 Noted Addy Ore (can vary, may be mith if not 70 smithing)

4500 Noted Coal (can vary, 3x your noted addy ore, 2x if using mith)

1 Noted Addy Bar (place keeper)

Hammer (fix breaks)

People

2 or 3 Runners (must have all skills listed above, except smithing.)

Process

Fairly simple actually

Note 1: Runners must always carry a hammer to help fix breaks.

Note 2: Unnoting Coal cost 22.5 gp each. "Use" noted coal on Ortiz to bring up unnoting menu.

1. Runner trades you 23 addy ore and 23 noted bars. You give him 23 addy bars, 23 noted addy ore, and "payment" (8k probably fair, your call).

2R. Runner go to the bank, unnotes addy ore, note the addy bars and return.

2. You put addy ore on belt.

3. Unnote 23 coal, put on belt. Repeat 2 more times.

3R. Runner, if you see smelter loading coal and ore, constantly add shovels of fuel to furnace.

4. Bike ore into furnace.

4R. Runner, once you see smelter going to the bike, begin pumping the furnace.

5. If no runner added fuel, add 8 shovels of fuel to furnace.

6. If no runner, begin pumping. Takes about 30 seconds should no breaks occur. If you have to repair breaks, add 10 seconds to time to smelt.

6R. If runner is pumping, watch gauge, repair breaks as they happen.

7. When you see the bars *plop* into the bar deposit (angle camera) stop pumping.

7R. If gauge goes in red, or you see bars smelt, tell runner to stop pumping. Runner, stop pumping and move to bar deposit.

8. Grab bucket, fill, and use on molten bars.

9. Remove bars (should be 23)

10R. Trade 23 bars, 23 noted ore and payement gp with Runner. Runner trades 23 noted bars and 23 addy ore.

11. Go back to step 1.

Why This Is Profitable

With 2 or 3 coordinated runners, you'll be smelting 23 bars every 1 to 2 minutes. You're using 1 addy ore and 3 coal. You sell these bars at Grand Exchange for current rate of 2500 gp. It cost you 1800 gp a bar to make. So that's 16k per 23 bars (minus payment). So if you paid 8k to the runner, that's 8k profit to you. in addition to 900xp smithing.

Should you and other smelters have VERY coordinated runners (always keeping the furnace in the green), you could possibly be pull off 60 or more trades an hour. Not likely, but possible.

Tips

Hire a fire loader/pumper. When I did this, it made things go very fast. With a helper, you can keep 3 runners engaged. I usually paid him 2k per load, so he's making as much cash as the runners.

Don't hire too many runners. Unlike runecraft running, you don't want chaos in the blast furnace. Two or three good, smart runners that need easy cash are all you need.

You can store upto 250 coal in the furnace. Very useful if you have coordinated teams keeping the furnace in the Green. So have 150 excess coal in the furnace as a buffer.

NEVER leave ore on the belt if you're logging off. It will be lost.

Don't bike till you have 23 addy and 69 coal on the belt. Saves time.

If watching gauge, tell pumper to stop only when bar is just entering Red. Start again when bar is just hitting white.

Keep the order of your runners. You don't have lots of runners so that should be easy.

If runners don't have the start off 23 ore and 23 bars, they must have 60k cash, or 46k cash and 69 noted coal. They first buy 23 noted ore from you for 23k. They bank and return this with 23 unnoted ore, 23k cash and 69 noted coal (or 14k cash instead of coal). You trade them 23 noted ore and 23 noted bars. Now they're set. This gear is too expensive to just give them starting items.

Ask in thread for further explanations.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Nice guide :)

I myself use the furnace a bit for iron smelthing, since it's alot faster than regular smelthing and selling and buying the ores from the shop costs almost the same as buying rings of forging :D

Don't need a team to keep the furnace working, but it's faster with a team :)

Dead+Dude4.png

Kinda true, however, the smelter is getting smithing xp in addition to cash.

The runners get some xp from helping run the smelter, and have a guarenteed client paying. Rune runners sometimes run into lines and issues.

Now, I only did 3k addy bars before I got bored with it. However, other players are not easily bored, so may benefit from the tactics I set up.

I recommend using a permanent world if possible. I was trying to make it World 44, to correlate with World 66 for runecrafters.

Imagine THOUSANDS of bars coming into the game faster than usual? You're forced to trade with f2p to keep up with that. Big benefit.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy

• 9 months later...

Yes, it's an old post. However, as I'm pushing a suggestion about a Dwarf Recycling Center, I thought I'd show this how-to guide again.

Anyone ever try this? I feel it works great even now.

nukemarine.png

Nice guide, you make things pretty clear in it. Just seems a bit of an effort though, considering you can nat/law run/craft for around the same GP an hour.
It's not as boring and repetitious. :P

Plagiarist! I do the same thing only with steel. XD

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

My only beef with this is that you want to use Runners. I don't like having to be dependent on others to get me my ore, but for those that are okay with it's super :D !

I'm thinking about mining a huge amount of Mithril and coal over the next few months until summer. I'd probably be using the Dwarven Furnace to cut down Coal amounts. PLUS if I just stick around and do my part to help out I can STILL get smithing xp. And some xp in comparison to no XP is better than anything! Can't wait until I'm a member again!

My only beef with this is that you want to use Runners. I don't like having to be dependent on others to get me my ore, but for those that are okay with it's super :D !

I'm thinking about mining a huge amount of Mithril and coal over the next few months until summer. I'd probably be using the Dwarven Furnace to cut down Coal amounts. PLUS if I just stick around and do my part to help out I can STILL get smithing xp. And some xp in comparison to no XP is better than anything! Can't wait until I'm a member again!

Oh, if you were smelting adamant or runite ores the blast furnace is still the best place in the game. It is almost as fast solo as when you're using the furnace at port phantasmys.

Take 100k gp, 1k noted coal, hammer, and 25 adamant ore. Goto the furnace, put addy ore on belt, unnote 75 coal and put onto belt (cost about 2k gp to unnote 75 coal with 100 coal in the store) [you can also sell coal till 250 coal is in the store, then buy out all 250 to put into the furnace and use that for 3 trips]. Bike all the ore in, put in 8 shovels of coke, run the furnace for 30 pumps at which time bars are ready. Get bars and head back to bank.

Round trip is about 5 minutes.

Now, try to smelt 25 adamant ore at port phantasmys. Time yourself. You need 6 trips which takes about 5 minutes total (and takes twice as much coal). Using superheat, you'll do it slightly faster but the cost in natures adds up.

Overall, whether doing the runner method I posted (which is meant to let you profit fast while getting decent xp) or just walking to the blast furnace, it's still the superior method in RS. Just few realize it.

nukemarine.png

I do most of my rune smelthing in there :wink:

Less cost per bar and makes it efficient(spelling?) enough for me to smith rune legs and alch them.

Since I mine my own rune it's pretty decent cash and alot faster than making sets and having to deal with all those "I wan't a 100% discount since you can mine and smith it" noobs :thumbsup:

Dead+Dude4.png

Because you have to rely on an unreliable team, that makes this a bad method.

Nope, they don't have to help it just speeds up their turn arounds. The more efficient the team, the faster the bars get traded. When you're smelting 700 to 1000 bars an hour, you find it's chaotic enough to make it interesting. Plus, as the team only needs to be 3 or 4 guys, you can choose the pick of the litter. Some moron keeps messing up? Just don't use him.

The runners like it as it's very good cash, with little to no waiting. Granted, you're only making 30k to 40k an hour smithing xp. Still, that you're doing that and turning in a profit has to be an upside.

nukemarine.png

Because you have to rely on an unreliable team, that makes this a bad method.

Nope, they don't have to help it just speeds up their turn arounds. The more efficient the team, the faster the bars get traded. When you're smelting 700 to 1000 bars an hour, you find it's chaotic enough to make it interesting. Plus, as the team only needs to be 3 or 4 guys, you can choose the pick of the litter. Some moron keeps messing up? Just don't use him.

The runners like it as it's very good cash, with little to no waiting. Granted, you're only making 30k to 40k an hour smithing xp. Still, that you're doing that and turning in a profit has to be an upside.

That, or you could just powersmith on stackables or high alch the best product you can make out of it. :P
"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

Hmm, I'm not convinced about your maths though. You say you can smlet 23 addy bars every 2 minutes, but isn't that a full invent of addy bars? If you do that, that would involve a full invent of addy ores, plus 3 times that many coal. Not quite sure if my maths is right, but that wouldn't result in a massive amount of profit...

Also, mith bar smithing is at level 50, not 60 :P

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

u know low lvls like me could just walk in the room and start smelting so we wouldnt have to do all that work if its already working i could just walk in with 14 coal and 14 iron ore start makin steel bars to smith duaa

Zeinias.png

That pic is soo me lol!

Zeinias.png

Zeinias.png

u know low lvls like me could just walk in the room and start smelting so we wouldnt have to do all that work if its already working i could just walk in with 14 coal and 14 iron ore start makin steel bars to smith duaa
Unless you have 60 smithing, you have to pay to use the furnace. \'

All hail to the unofficial smithing guild!

Hmm, I'm not convinced about your maths though. You say you can smlet 23 addy bars every 2 minutes, but isn't that a full invent of addy bars? If you do that, that would involve a full invent of addy ores, plus 3 times that many coal. Not quite sure if my maths is right, but that wouldn't result in a massive amount of profit...

Also, mith bar smithing is at level 50, not 60 :P

Here's my math:

Payment to runner - 7k gp (yeah, I posted 5k but 7k brings quality runners)

Payment to unnote 69 coal - 1280 gp

Total out of pocket - 8280 gp per 23 bars.

Say I smelted 2300 addy bars, that's 828k gp spent out of pocket.

Trade 2300 bars for 2300 addy ore and 6900 coal (what you smelted) and 6900 profit coal.

Sell profit coal for 200 each (again, depends on the market but can be upto 225 each). That's 1.38 Mill or 210k profit.

Notice that the profit was WAY down because I paid 7k a run. However, why would runners do a 2 minute run for 5k if there's better cash at the law world? Have to meet the market demands.

Ultimately, so long as cost per trade and smelting is 13,800 gp you break even. Say I higher a worker (2k per smelting) so that I can bring on a third runner and accomplish 50 trades an hour. I'd still make 2500 gp a trade. That would be 43k smithing xp/hour plus 125k gp profit an hour.

It's just complicated, requires 70 smithing, and a coordinated team that you're paying.

nukemarine.png

• 1 year later...

It's been over a year since I posted this and the it's still viable. With the GE coming out at the end of the month, it may change profits of this system.

nukemarine.png

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this as the Blast Furnace is better than ever thanks to being able to unnote coal with the NPC Ortiz. This means you can use World 58 as the blast furnace world meaning faster trading times.

I think, at peak times, you and 4 runners can pull off 60 trades an hour. That's 480k profit to you in addition to 55k smithing experience. Granted, this only works for the next month till Balance Trading makes hiring runners impossible.

Good Luck.

nukemarine.png