Zombie Plans - Revised (Revised)

Guest Rob

So...

What will you be using for a curtain rod now?

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It just came to me how the virus (or should I say "virus") will be created, it will obviously be an evolution of a plant, likely a fungi, the ophiocordyceps uniliteralis. This evolution of the fungi however will mature inside the host body and spread through the blood vessels, that way it will excrete nourishment for the cells by drawing nourishment from the cells' excrement, like plants and animals normally do. This is why zombies do not eat, breathe or bleed, and the act of attacking living creatures is merely their way of spreading the spores which we mistakenly thought to be a virus.

The reason the fungi evolved to this was because of genetic manipulation in the attempt to use it for medicine.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

It just came to me how the virus (or should I say "virus") will be created, it will obviously be an evolution of a plant, likely a fungi, the ophiocordyceps uniliteralis. This evolution of the fungi however will mature inside the host body and spread through the blood vessels, that way it will excrete nourishment for the cells by drawing nourishment from the cells' excrement, like plants and animals normally do. This is why zombies do not eat, breathe or bleed, and the act of attacking living creatures is merely their way of spreading the spores which we mistakenly thought to be a virus.

The reason the fungi evolved to this was because of genetic manipulation in the attempt to use it for medicine.

Never thought of it like that, but damn. That is one good way to put it. :o

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

• 3 weeks later...

This is why I don't like ZP in FT. It gets no love. ;_;

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Of course it does. Just a bit more masochistic and with a few more leather straps than normal.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Of course it does. Just a bit more masochistic and with a few more leather straps than normal.

Zombies, leather straps....I like where this is going.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

Zombies, leather straps....I like where this is going.

cannot_be_unseen.jpg

On the topic of leather though, in small engagements it could be useful as armour if prepared correctly. :thumbup:

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

On the topic of leather though, in small engagements it could be useful as armour if prepared correctly. :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure the zombie survival guide recommends using it because it protects you from bites without weighing you down as much as anything metal would (Or making nearly as much noise).

well, assuming the majority of the population has already fallen and you'r as far as you know the only survivor, i'd start by getting the hell out of any major population centre cuz they'r infested with walking corpses.

If you make it to a big forest or osmething like that and you know what you'r doing you can probably survive for a long time there. Make a bow to hunt, build some hut or something like that.

And if they find you, run. weren't they slow walking things?

sebas379.png

[hide]

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing;

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews;

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores;

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

[/hide]

Fast zombies, the death of the Genre Savvy. :thumbup:

RIP Dawngate ;-;

No, a fast zombie is usually shown to have up to three times human speed, which makes them more of a [bleep] to kill than the [bleep]ers that can take a shotgun blast to the head. By Half-Life characteristics, who in their right mind wouldn't rather take on a poison zombie or a zombine rather than a fast zombie?

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I've been thinking, and wouldn't a parasite that completely occupies the skull cavity be able to fit a heart and lungs capable of sustaining minimalized human circulation? That would, of course, require an ridiculous level of integration with existing human blood vessels but it would make more sense than inexplicably functioning dead organs.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I'm not blind, and you don't need to reinforce your ego.

There's not just one viable theory, as zombies don't exist and likely never will. This is a discussion thread, I'm assuming that encompasses the nature of the plague.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I think all of these theories assume that evolution will somehow make it more evolutionarily productive to take over human populations and use them as its main or sole method of reproduction, compared to just infecting people through spores and such.

And if spores work as well, then we're screwed regardless if we can defeat the zombies.

---

And considering that these assumptions are already huge leaps of faith as it is, it probably gives the leeway for theories to be somewhat far-fetched as well.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

(Virus is used as a collective term for a cocktail)

What....if you had the plague add a microbe/enzyme/other organism, that lived in the stomach, which refined metal, and deposited it in the stomach.

Stomach acid and metal (Iron, for instance) is converted to hydrogen.

Hydrogen swells, causing an explosion, resulting in infected meat being scattered to the four winds...very good for a short term zombie epidemic.

Would also make sense if the people who were making the virus ever had it escape...the virus has a built in kill switch, and, while increasing the rate of spread in a limited area, would, if contained properly, reduce the risk overall.

Could even be reconned into an explaination as to why zombies need blood...Johnny scientist programs the bacteria to respond to a message, turning them on...The virus is gened to automatically produce the new bacteria in all its hosts. (Or they were just always on to prevent any long term exposure)

The body reacts to that in some way...maybe Iron Deficency, for instance.

The virus turns the Pica (A condition caused by Iron Deficency, which 'forced' the victim to consume random objects) into an obsession to consume blood...maybe as a result of the loss of higher reasoning.

Iron Deficency also explains all the other commonly associated factors, pallor, fatigue, hairloss...

Also, another idea: to create some sort of Solider Zombie-Cleanup Zombie.

Virus is created to strip Iron from consumption and use said Iron to reinforce bones, thin layers of armour, ect, ect.

The virus also contains some sort of anti-iron system, to prevent the body reacting to the Iron. Their heam is replaced with Coboglobin to prevent death.

It is combined with your normal zombie virus to create Soliders that never die...They are then killed somehow...say asphixation(Or they are killed by the anti-iron virus, Amber Blood Cells(Coboglobin analogous to Red Blood Cells) are inserted, and then brought back)...and becoming armoured Zombies who spread the anti-iron system when they bite you, resulting in your body rejecting Iron, causing perma-death.

Also works as a 'We need to kill zombies and surviours' solution...You send in a band of them, they clear the area of zombies by being stronger, and kill any surviours, rather than creating new zombies...though would create ready test subjects for future Solider Zombies.

Course, in an actual zombie invasion I would probably do....

Check Falador, see if Mather survived his curtainrail assault on the postman.

Check the wider web for information on the level of surviours.

For instance, number of people logged into steam and the flux over the last 24 hours, since it more or less goes in a wave and people have it set to automatically log in when they turn their computer on, and would automatically log off if they turned their computers off.

Thus, only a straight line(or the site being down) would mean no activity.

This would probably influence me a little in my decision making.

No internet would probably mean very little to me.

Though I would certainly remember to take my phone with me to check for wireless signals.

No power would prompt me to check on my phone, before switching that off to conserve power.

Get as much reserve water as physically possible before the reservoirs clog up and the distribution systems fail.

Wouldn't worry too much about food to begin with...Any other surviours will probably fight over supermarkets and what not, paving the way for re-civilisation.

In preperation for zombies hurling themselves through windows and such, I would take off all the door handles, and just keep one square bar so I could open doors as neccessary. Then I would close doors lost to the zombies...Since zombies can't open doors.

Would also put bottled water and a few days of supplies in each room.

If I was forced into a single room...I would probably use a hammer to break downstairs. Throw the mattress down after making sure there were no zombies immediately present. Close the door to the stairs that I fled through a few days earlier.

Leave the house through the zombie shaped hole in the window.

Thus trapping all the zombies that had been chasing me about the house for a few days.

Then I would wander off down the road. (assuming Zombies were not everywhere, in which case I know there is no one else alive nearby and would take the car, and drive directly to the supermarket, probably using the backroads incase people had abandoned their cars blocking the main roads)

I would assume I was not alone as a surviour, thus would head to the shops down on the high street(about 5 minutes)...see if there was any sign of life.

If there was then I would join Society 2.0 and see how things went from there.

If there wasn't I would collect supplies from the shop (if it wasn't zombie infested), and head on to the supermarket.

The trip to the supermarket takes about an hour by foot, and is not the safest trip if there are zombies on the loose...So I would probably acquire a weapon at this point (Since I am not stupidly defending my house as though it would protect me in the long term). Preferably a large stick.

Get out of the town, and onto the bypass, which should be relatively safe, given that it is fairly wide.

Head to the supermarket, see if there is anyone there.

If there was then join society.

If there wasn't then I would see if I could jury rig a few trollies to the car/steal a car and jury rig a few trollies to it. Fill the trollies with supplies and petrol, then venture off to another supermarket.

If there wasn't an it was crawling with zombies, then I would go on to somewhere else.

Probably the most realistic plan in, terms of the event of Zombie attack...as opposed to getting a gun, shooting three zombies before being overwhelmed.

Though the entire idea of zombie invasion is fairly silly.

Since you are either doomed, or the invasion is doomed.

I sugguest you look back at my parasitic fungus theory.

I suggest you look at back at the second law of thermodynamics.

Supposing that you could acquire limitless energy is rather flawed to begin with.

But lets explain it anyway.

This evolution of the fungi however will mature inside the host body and spread through the blood vessels, that way it will excrete nourishment for the cells by drawing nourishment from the cells' excrement, like plants and animals normally do

Lets look at the chain there:

Sunlight->Plants->Animals

We then look fungi

Sunlight->Plants->Dead Matter->Fungi->Humans

Sunlight->Plants->Animals->Dead Matter->ect.

Neither system survives without sunlight.

Thus, if you had a fungus that supplied a human that supplied the fungus with power then you would reach equilibrium fairly quickly.

Especially when you consider that the system is still outputting energy, through persperation, for instance, or skin matter which drops from the body rather than getting captured by the parasite.

Then walking, energy is transfered from the body to the ground.

Pushing, energy is transfered from the body to the object.

The body is just bringing the muscles to tension, it isn't consuming them.

Lactic acid is only a byproduct, in the same way that smoke is only a byproduct of burning coal, the heat, the energy used to bind the carbon 'into' the coal is lost.

You can't turn lactic acid(and the assorted other byproducts) back into ATP without the application of additional energy...It would be an endothermic reaction.

As such, if you had a parasite that reassembled dead matter it would need to draw on matter/energy from elsewhere, since the Fungi grows by consuming other creatures, which have gained their energy from the sun.

You are proposing two exothermic reactions that feed each other.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Not all fungi are incapable of photosynthesis, and by growing in the veins in our skin, the fungus would actually have a greater surface area exposed to sunlight than most trees have for their leaves. Essentially the fungus would receive a wast surplus of energy, far more than what it would require to sustain animation. As for the actual nutrition the fungus requires, it has a vast pantry filling up the entire chest and abdominal cavity of the host, as well as the blood it is replacing.

I'm just pulling numbers out of my ass here, but wouldn't our entire collection of organs and entrails be enough sustenance to keep a fungus alive for at least a few years?

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1