Culture and Tradition

DragnFly

I thought this would make for an interesting topic. Do you feel that cultures and traditions are important? Do you feel that we, as a society, tend to undervalue our cultures and traditions? Do you feel that cultures and traditions even have a place in modern society?

As for me, I am leaning towards yes. It does feel as if our cultures and traditions are becoming undervalued. They are a link to our past, and demonstrate the uniqueness of a particular group of people (as opposed to the uniqueness of an individual). As such, I believe we should attempt to carry on and preserve our cultures and their traditions where possible, as well as educating future generations about them.

Many traditions have come to be for a variety of different reasons, including necessity, religious beliefs, and dominant social viewpoints among a particular group. A culture tends to be the comprised of the collective practices of the group, such as their values, traditions, rituals, experiences and beliefs. While the group is usually linked by blood, geographical region, religious beliefs, race/ethnicity, or any number of other factors.

Between the rise of secularism and the practice of becoming some sort of "melting pot", the importance of traditions and culture seem to have been lost in the shuffle. We seem more focused on individualism, rather than history of a particular group. While individualism is important, so is the traditions and practices of the group.

Whether it be a rite of passage, common practices, language, gender roles, folklore, meals/cuisines, art, or anything for that matter really. The practices, values and beliefs of our ancestors seems lost on us. Because something is old fashioned, we seem to view it as either having little importance, or being outdated by modern views.

What do you think?

I guess to me, it is all somewhat subjective.

While cultures are important, they shouldn't be presented in such a manner as to segregate a group/individuals from the whole of humanity. Any time someone tries to stand out from the crowd, they bring unnecessary pressure upon themselves and the group. That said, if no one was different, then what point is there in humanities existence?

~i am unique, just like everyone else~

To me, all I can say is, who am I to judge someone else? They can turn right back around and question me on my own values, and what ground do i have to stand on to say that I am better than them because I have a different value system because of my culture/how i was raised? I have seen life from both sides of the mirror on many subjects. My parents were/are very very very veryyyyyyyyyyy conservative in their views. As an example, anyone with a tattoo, or a woman that has more than 1 earring in each ear (not to mention any other piercings, or guys having them) are beyond taboo, they are "bad people" because of it. Yet I myself have multiple piercings (snakebites, septum, ect..), and have a couple major tattoos planned out for the near future (1 1/2 sleeves, and my entire back.) I understand where my parents stand on things, and yet I can take my own side on things. By my own choices, I disregard the value system they hold sacred. Does this mean I'm a bad person? I can't say that i'm anywheres near being the best person on the planet, but i'm no serial killer because of my piercings, ect.

As for my heritage, whereas my parents have left it behind, i've delved deep into it and tried to find the best aspects of what was lost in the generation gaps and make myself a better person for it. One thing that i have gone above and beyond is in the area of Chivalry. To me, it's something that the world is lacking in too much, and if I can make a difference on even one person because of how i treat them, then I have a lifetime accomplishment.

I could go on for a very long time on this subject, as it's something i hold dear to me. but, alas, I'm tired. :P

Click below to see my siggy! :D

The Game.

Dragon_Spine.png

Dragon_Spine.png

We got two camps here in the USA:

1) You MUST have a cultural background and you MUST find it interesting and enjoyable!

2) Damn foreigners n' their Spanish speaking Hinduism. This 'merica, [bleep] yeah, speak English!

:roll:

Both are terrible. Just go on your life without worrying about others' cultures.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I enjoy what other cultures bring to us (I'm a particularly big fan of native American art), but having been brought up in several countries while only living in mine between 6 and 9 years old, I feel like I don't know my own country enough to carry that heritage. The way I see it, it is neither good nor bad for my own self, but I do think our world is becoming less and less diverse because of this kind of case. But on the other hand, some might say it is easier these days to get your culture across to others (genre-bending in music becoming more prevalent, and thus introduction of musical elements from other cultures, à la Socalled?). The truth probably lies in between the two, where the accessibility of other traditions and customs waters them down. Better or worse? I can't tell.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

When an individual is intrigued about a certain lineage, unusual lifestyles across the globe, or even the origin of something we see in our modern lives (pizza anyone?) and decides to do research about the social functions of our world while maintaining interest at the same time, I admire that. When people shove down my throat how majestic a certain culture is, I can't stop myself from gagging on it.

I think traditions should be upheld if they're not holding back progress or not hurting anyone. The idiosyncrasies of each culture or race should be upheld as far as possible. They're what make Scotland, Wales, England & N Ireland different despite all being part of 'Great Britain'. We should accept other cultures and I'm sure there's something we can all take from them, but that doesn't mean you have to really 'embrace' them. I'm happy being a simple British person, I'm not too fussed about being all multicultural, but I can obviously appreciate the things that different cultures bring to the country and to myself personally.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

We got two camps here in the USA:

1) You MUST have a cultural background and you MUST find it interesting and enjoyable!

2) Damn foreigners n' their Spanish speaking Hinduism. This 'merica, [bleep] yeah, speak English!

:roll:

Both are terrible. Just go on your life without worrying about others' cultures.

Isn't #2 a culture in itself?

I'm in two minds. On the one hand - tradition should be remembered. On the other hand, culture often serves as just another useless barrier to peace and understanding, so...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

or even the origin of something we see in our modern lives (pizza anyone?)

Been there, done that.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

I would say culture and tradition is important. Being Native American, I see it first hand how our traditions and culture are dying off right in front of me. Something most descendants from immigrants really haven't seen first hand as it only takes a few generations to really loose traditions. Language is one of the things we are fighting to keep alive right now. 2-3 generations ago almost everyone was fluent in our traditional language, now we only have a small handful of first language speakers. You can imagine growing up in America right now, your traditional language ends up becoming unneeded or unused. Language is key to our culture. I was lucky and was raised by my grandmother, now I am among just a few people my age who can speak my tribe's language.

I'm a traditional artist and language instructor, so I really try my best to keep our traditions around. If we loose our language and traditions, we as a tribe no longer exist, we don't have anything that separates us from any other Native American tribe. Our culture is our identity.

arcy777-2.jpg
arcsig.jpg
2001-2006 the fourth and last legit 123 on classic
123 classic/137 rs2 Native American Pride

At the risk of sounding offensive (though this is an honest, non-rhetorical question), what is the value of this identity?

British culture and tradition has pretty much died out, the cockney language is dying and everything really British is so watered now it is easily a multi-culture tradition though I have no problems with people wanting to keep their culture and tradition; I respect that it's been part of their ancestry and thus they want to keep it going. However, once people start to impose it upon everybody else and starting hating because of it I start to question whether it is worth it.

Also the hypocrisy of people of certain cultures and traditions who get all defensive and protective of their religion if you make a joke about certain aspects of it but then go and break their own culture makes me really question what is the point; very few religions are serious any more.

--

Apologies for bad English, I would edit it but haven't the desire or time to waste.

Apologies for bad English, I would edit it but haven't the desire or time to waste.

Apologies accepted. I hope you'll forgive me for only half-reading your post.

In South Africa we still have a large groups of people (white people) who wish to hold on to their traditions. I however see this as a huge mistake. Our old traditions and culture was built on racism, something that is still a very large issue in South Africa. Only way for us to move on and become strong as a nation is to forget our old traditions and culture and build new ones.

So, with that said, i believe the only place for our traditions would be in the history books and nowhere else.

I feel that most cultures and traditions - while undeniably forming bonds between diverse groups, are divisive and inferior to the emerging individualistic ethic which seems to comprise western society (at least, in NZ/Australia/UK/USA - can't speak for mainland Europe). But of course, I'm naturally bias.

I found a panda and then we bought malt liquor. I hold my malt liquor better than a panda.

And I thought my weekends were good. ._.

I'm in two minds. On the one hand - tradition should be remembered. On the other hand, culture often serves as just another useless barrier to peace and understanding, so...

The culture is not a problem per se. It's the narrow world view of a great many, and their inability to comprehend the alien that lead to misunderstanding and conflict. The issue is the people, not the general culture.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Apparently, my family has some rich traditional background and culture, but I'm not buying it. Seems like just another excuse to ignore what really matters: the present.

Tec106.png

The fact that nobody understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

Not certain but I think I'm quoting Jet-Li...

"Any technique, however worthy and desirable becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it. Let the spirit out, discard all thoughts of reward, all hopes of praise and fears of blame. All awareness of one's bodily types of knowledge ultimately leads to self knowledge. Knowledge will give you power, but character, respect and simplicity is the key to brilliance. Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless - like water.... Water can flow or it can crash... be water, my friend."

I think culture is okay but to keep oneself limited to its laws slowly takes away freedom.

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot