[Discontinued]An Ocean of a Problem

Corvus

Ok. In pure metagame (because, unless the boat sinks or explodes or something, you should see it...and to bypass the 'There is a note on your bed 'OMG ITS AN EXPLOSIVE RUNE FROM PHSYCO ARCHI' ') I have left Caliber, Martel, Kazi and Cathern notes in their rooms.

The information is not overly secretive, its more of an 'If I die, here is what is going on, thus far'...Also saves from group conversations that I am against on principle.

I have no problem with you reading it whenever. (I have no specific problem with Retech or Resistance reading it, but my character doesn't consider them part of the crew, and Kiara has been informed during the course of my activities)

Wyvern has the details so it is ultimately up to him...just removing the burden of remembering trivia from his extensive list of responsibilites...Please don't annoy him by going 'I look into my room, what do I see.'

I understand why you did that (I think the events of certain people proved that point correct) and accept it (though this will ensure some extra paranoia), though I think it would have been a bad idea not to bring the god damned diplomancer (that reminds me, if someone fails the willsave for charm person, will they know that I tried to enspell them?) to a social situation.

LNYvk.png

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. In pure metagame (because, unless the boat sinks or explodes or something, you should see it...and to bypass the 'There is a note on your bed 'OMG ITS AN EXPLOSIVE RUNE FROM PHSYCO ARCHI' ') I have left Caliber, Martel, Kazi and Cathern notes in their rooms.

The information is not overly secretive, its more of an 'If I die, here is what is going on, thus far'...Also saves from group conversations that I am against on principle.

I have no problem with you reading it whenever. (I have no specific problem with Retech or Resistance reading it, but my character doesn't consider them part of the crew, and Kiara has been informed during the course of my activities)

Wyvern has the details so it is ultimately up to him...just removing the burden of remembering trivia from his extensive list of responsibilites...Please don't annoy him by going 'I look into my room, what do I see.'

I understand why you did that (I think the events of certain people proved that point correct) and accept it (though this will ensure some extra paranoia), though I think it would have been a bad idea not to bring the god damned diplomancer (that reminds me, if someone fails the willsave for charm person, will they know that I tried to enspell them?) to a social situation.

Okay, I assuming you meant to ask what would happen if someone makes the will save for charm person:

If the target makes the saving throw they would feel a hostile force and/or tingling which would make it obvious that something is amiss, however they would be unable to determine exactly what caused it (end of official written rules, start of GM personal view) however I would say that the target would be allowed to immediately make a spellcraft check to identify the spell even if they had previously failed for the same spell, and regardless it would be rather easy for the target to tell that you were casting some form of spell on them, unless you can prevent them from detecting the verbal and somatic components of the spell.

Also I guess I can look into making the map more of a square grid.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Actually has no relation to the current situation, it is purely concerned with future events =P

But yeah...if I had had more time I would have dealt with the situation differently...Such as making it clear I wanted the carriage to turn up about noon on the next day, so you arrived just before the party started, so there was no 'Must run back through the griffon/dragon nest'.

And yes, I accept that I have lost some of the trust placed in me. I am sorry for that and hope that people will see that whenever I mislead them it is for their good, and the good of the party(Huzzah Benevolent Dictator).

I think the easiest way to think about this is that people are entitled to disagree/mislead the party on matters they feel strongly about, provided they only do it occassionally...and they should be accountable for anything that they directly spawn.*

*So, if the Manor on the other side of the Island had deployed the guard when they saw you approaching, or you had been attacked by bandits on the way there...then that would be something I would be accountable for...things that you had no chance of avoiding, basically.

If you subsequently got into trouble through your own actions then I am not accountable.

But yeah, you can quote me on that if anyone else does something like this.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

I, for one, forgive you.

If you kill three Griffons for me.

Retech, on the other hand, is just a useless cowardly Elf. I'm designing Obsidian!Zaladine specifically with him in mind. :evil:

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Aside from playing a stupidly brave character (see Paladin), then I'm not going to fight a suicidal battle that can easily be avoided by running away. Especially when the GM is pointing out that you should run away as well, to avoid near certain death.

And "useless" is not something that would be good to change. At least that is confirming what I've been trying to do.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Aside from playing a stupidly brave character (see Paladin), then I'm not going to fight a suicidal battle that can easily be avoided by running away. Especially when the GM is pointing out that you should run away as well, to avoid near certain death.

And "useless" is not something that would be good to change. At least that is confirming what I've been trying to do.

Did you not run away prior to the GM's warnings? You could've at least healed me ONCE, had you done so I probably wouldn't be down three hero points. And don't give me the 'I didn't notice' bit, it's pretty damn hard to not notice a giant Griffon dangling from a child shooting lightning bolts dangling from a flying blue crystal-person. Especially when the creature you were just fighting suddenly dives towards said writhing mass of chaos.

Hell, did you even roll a Perception check?

What I'm saying is, basically, the characters you play in D&D are kind of all selfish, cowardly pricks. :rolleyes:

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Would you honestly try and rescue someone from a swarm of superpowered flying creatures that you have no way of defeating, when you have only known the person for a few hours and have not even really spoken to them once?

In addition to the fact that no one would've come to your aid in such a situation, there was the metagame fact that there was nothing I had up my sleeve to save you. My whip was ineffective at downing them, knocking them off their flight was not good enough to have them fall sufficiently to their injury, all of my combat spells had been depleted, and in addition to all of that, the only thing left that I had was healing. You cannot win a fight by healing. Perhaps if you were attempting to run away and leave them alone, but instead you decided to kill one of them and make it personal? What?

And two things. My characters for this game cannot be both heroic and unoptimized, because generally when someone needs a hero, they are in a screwed position. It is like being a non-swimmer and jumping into a river to save another non-swimmer. Next thing you know, you have two drowning people.

Secondly, just because you have decided to play exclusively in the Tavern while I have taken up games elsewhere does not mean that you can make conclusions about all my characters. All of my characters here are just not heroic to the ideal, not necessarily cowardly and selfish. It's called cutting losses, which is what most people would ordinarily do. It is true that having a character die does not actually matter (like say, compared to if you were actually going to die), but that doesn't mean I'll have a buncha suicidal characters just because of that.

I am playing three characters elsewhere that have clear, in-character motivations for fighting courageously and to the bitter end. Ya know, instead of trying to save a suicidal maniac that I just met.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Would you honestly try and rescue someone from a swarm of superpowered flying creatures that you have no way of defeating, when you have only known the person for a few hours and have not even really spoken to them once?

In addition to the fact that no one would've come to your aid in such a situation, there was the metagame fact that there was nothing I had up my sleeve to save you. My whip was ineffective at downing them, knocking them off their flight was not good enough to have them fall sufficiently to their injury, all of my combat spells had been depleted, and in addition to all of that, the only thing left that I had was healing. You cannot win a fight by healing. Perhaps if you were attempting to run away and leave them alone, but instead you decided to kill one of them and make it personal? What?

And two things. My characters for this game cannot be both heroic and unoptimized, because generally when someone needs a hero, they are in a screwed position. It is like being a non-swimmer and jumping into a river to save another non-swimmer. Next thing you know, you have two drowning people.

Secondly, just because you have decided to play exclusively in the Tavern while I have taken up games elsewhere does not mean that you can make conclusions about all my characters. All of my characters here are just not heroic to the ideal, not necessarily cowardly and selfish. It's called cutting losses, which is what most people would ordinarily do. It is true that having a character die does not actually matter (like say, compared to if you were actually going to die), but that doesn't mean I'll have a buncha suicidal characters just because of that.

I am playing three characters elsewhere that have clear, in-character motivations for fighting courageously and to the bitter end. Ya know, instead of trying to save a suicidal maniac that I just met.

Point taken, a single heal would've been very nice regardless, point grudgingly taken, I apologize/missing my point, and okay.

Gotta go to sleep now.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

My characters for this game cannot be both heroic and unoptimized,

Piffle and tish...Look at Nex...Would anyone other than a hero walk(or fly) into a situation which he was totally unable to win in?

Then, not only kill a Griffon, but also kill a Griffon while unconscience!

Come on Jen, get out your Neon Whip and join the fight, cause you gotta Strong and you gotta be fast and you gotta be fresh from the fight. *Hums a tune* Need a hero, nah nah nah, holding out for a hero for the end of the night, do, do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_HsjpSVaI

Zala on the drums, Kazi on the keyboard, Jen on the whip and the Griffon backing singers...Its D-Factor. :rolleyes:

As for me killing Griffons....I don't see the immediate need to slaughter animals defending their homes...We should probably talk to the Prince before hunting on his land anyway...they will probably be the Royal Griffons or something. (Fire the plot harpoons!)

It's not your fault Nex, but I got defensive after you started accusing me. :P

We could hunt down the rest of them if you'd like. But we'd need to get some gear and such in preparation.

I think we're probably fine. A plot harpoon at negative HP can do nothing but bad for Kazi.

I'll just focus on successfully getting away from the middle of nowhere. Maybe I'll see dragonfire on the horizon.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

So...?

Game today or no?

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I have banned Resistance from participating in An Ocean of a Problem until such a time that he submits a character 2 levels below the party level (presently a level 4 character, due to the party level being 6) and private messages me a paraphrased version of the first post of this thread to ensure he understands the rules under which this game is run. This ban is a result of a severe violation of the trust I put in the players with character creation which was followed by a completely inappropriate attempt to pass the blame to me.

I would prefer to keep things civil here and therefore would prefer not discussing the specifics on this thread (resistance, if you want more of an explanation private message me, but I will tell you ahead of time it will be a rant), but what is important for the other players is I am extending a one time offer that if your characters are using any unapproved third party or custom content, you may request permission to use it or may swap it out for allowed rules without repercussion if you tell me that you are doing so.

EDIT: I would like to add, that the ban is specifically due to the inappropriate attempt to pass the blame to me, The violation of trust in character creation would have only resulted in a forced creation of a new character otherwise.

Edited by Nightmare_Moon

Okay, just a heads up that I have added a poll asking for when people would be able to switch times to, as something has come up with routine scheduling during the regular time slot on every other week. If you really want I could keep the regular time slot and just run sessions ~every other weekend starting a week from sunday, so if you want that just post asking for it.

Pretty much free all the times you specified. I would like to request Sunday Evening as my first choice though (Its considerably better for me, though obviously Ross and Grim will probably have a problem, given they usually disappear before 6pm, your time)

Monday/Friday would be my second choice, as I am free on both occassions, and have nothing else on those days...Mondays are favourable, but not by much.

Saturday I can do, but would prefer not to as it would effectively mean I would need to do everything for Monday 3 days in advance(aka on Friday)...and I don't do foreplanning particularly well =P

For reference, mainly for Ross, 8 pm CST is 2 am GMT.

Friday, I would be an hour late if we started at 2pm CT, but I'm free on Saturdays.

Pretty much free all the times you specified. I would like to request Sunday Evening as my first choice though (Its considerably better for me, though obviously Ross and Grim will probably have a problem, given they usually disappear before 6pm, your time)

Monday/Friday would be my second choice, as I am free on both occassions, and have nothing else on those days...Mondays are favourable, but not by much.

Saturday I can do, but would prefer not to as it would effectively mean I would need to do everything for Monday 3 days in advance(aka on Friday)...and I don't do foreplanning particularly well =P

For reference, mainly for Ross, 8 pm CST is 2 am GMT.

Sunday is honestly preferable for me, I can make it (I just have to do my homework in advance), the other days (more specifically timeslots) would be problematic for me.

LNYvk.png

For clarity, is this change affecting this week's session?

And could you (Wyvren) please roll a d10 and tell me the results? It's for my hp roll.

For clarity, is this change affecting this week's session?

And could you (Wyvren) please roll a d10 and tell me the results? It's for my hp roll.

Most likely yes. D10 says 8.

Well so far it seems we have a conflict between Retech and Grim and the possible replacement slots... Well there is always the Backup option of the same old timeslot on weeks when I am not busy with my other activity

The only thing for me is that I have to shut off the computer around 8 PM CST. And Monday afternoons are still school time.

I would suppose that it depends on how Ross votes, if he can make Sunday evening/morning then its less of a problem (While Retech is very useful, and obviously it would be nice to have him there :unsure: gotta think in terms of my own enjoyment, and that is 2 sessions per 2 weeks is better than 1 session per two weeks).

If not then the same extends to Grim (Though it nicer to have him there, since his character is more well known, and he is less prone to 'Be a Wizard' )

Anywho, if Ross can only make mondays, or something, then we should reconsider...losing one person is 'better' than losing a 26 sessions a year.

If Ross can do Sunday evenings and not Saturday, then I'm okay with that too. I can only come maybe an hour or two (depending on if it starts at 7 or 8 pm CST), but I don't want to be a burden on the rest of the party for when I can or can't play.

And I wouldn't want you (Archi) to lose game sessions because of that, since this is the only Pathfinder that you get to play.