[Discontinued]An Ocean of a Problem

Corvus

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a reminder that the Session is at 1PM (US Central) Sunday (Tomorrow). In other news this is going to be the last session of An Ocean of a Problem for the year as my schedule does not work for running any weekend games until after the 1st week of 2012

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Okay, cool.

Thanks for the reminder.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Right, people who were not here:

We pulled the lever in the main room, discovered a secret door, and a secret room (suprisingly behind the secret door).

In the secret room there was another door, we also discovered a talking mirror in the non-secret room leading to the secret door.

The mirror advised us on certain things while we explored, and we discovered an undead body lying on a table. (dun)

After large amounts of talking, it was decided to cut the head off of the undead body...which turned out to be alive. (Dun)

In the ensuing fight we fought with the undead body, and eventually defeated him, with help from the mirror, who then killed us. (DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN)

But it was all a horrible misunderstanding, and the mirror brought us back to life on a 15 in 10,000 chance.

Fortunately Jen and Loran were no where near the crazy crazy mirror when it was killing everyone, and they both decided to retire from adventuring.

But, as they were leaving they managed to discover a Young Human boy, by the name of Gallus. He invoked a motherly spirit in Jen, who decided the mirror might be tempered by the little child. Loran, being cold and mean spirited, walked down to the beach and co-ordinated with Kiara the taking back of the ship.

Then, spontanously, the Volcano erupted and the ship holders fled.

Meanwhile Jen and Gallus returned to the party, now resurrected, but, OH NOES LAVA. And after an extended dialogue/looting session, we escape the lava. Fortunately Nellos, using wild stoneshaping gave us enough time to remember to say (Thanks to Alg) that we loot the Orb of Odvan.

We then raced down the hill, away from the doomy doomy lava, though Nellos and Alg were almost swallowed by the Lava, when suddenly Nellos cast Fly, and swooped in to save Alg.

The party thus boarded the boat, with Loran and Kiara, and set sail for the Dwarven Kingdoms.

And no Retech, we don't know what the loot is yet =P

Next session is the 1st of January, details on the time closer to then, since parties and such will probably be arranged/slept off.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Aww, it sounded really fun. Got pulled away for chores. :(

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Question: Wasn't I supposed to level up two sessions ago?

I am kinda confused how this works, but I thought I was supposed to be getting closer to the party. :P

From what I understand, I leveled up one session before the party last time, so I would level two sessions before the party this time, then three sessions before, and then I would be all caught up.

Mmmmm, secret secret character sheets are not cool.

I think my level 6 was the last one I did (Since level 7 is/was in pencil on my old sheet)

Though my new level 8 is more or less done:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12603519/Gallus.pdf

Only thing that needs doing is removing Trapfinding/Trap Sense/Evasion/Improved Uncanny Dodge, adding Poision Use, the Ki Pool, Light Steps and No Trace, then adding (Talents) Smokebomb, Invisibilty and Wall Climbing. Oh, and Agent of the Dusk...obviously.

All Human children should be Agents of the Dusk.

(Also the Cloak of Elvenkind was added in session)

I would rather like a vague XP system, just as it would be easier to manage...Since the adventures are structured it makes sense that the rewards are reasonably structured as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I am thinking of starting the game back up on January 1st at 1PM if there are enough players willing and able to play then. Also, being the transition between Episode 2 and Episode 3 now would be a good time for anyone looking to join the game to come in.

So if you want to start up on Sunday, please post or let me know through some other means.

I am definitely interested in rejoining, I believe I can make the sessions, what time are they?

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

What character role are you planning to take?

Also, as the transition from Episode 2 to 3, would it also be the appropriate time to create a new character? It has recently come to my attention that the winter witch archetype (...if you see where I am going with this) is available and unlike the beginning of the game, someone is also not filling the arcane spellcaster role because Nex will probably not have enough time to play (if I interpreted his words at school correctly).

I am personally considering two possibilities for how this character is introduced, tying into the mirror resurrection deal:

1) The resurrection made Jen unable to conceal the fact that she has actually been a winter witch all along. She is curious as to the workings of the magic that the party has been dealing with, seeing as witches aren't terribly welcomed, even in magical society. This also explains the coincidental glider crash; it might've been engineered.

Or alternative, if retconning is not prefered:

2) After the wearyness of campaigning, ranger Jen finally decides to retire with the pension that Sable Company Marines receive during retirement. Meanwhile, someone else has also been snooping on the island...

---

As for mechanics wise, the reason witch is more interesting that wizard is that even though witches lack the awe-inspiring spell list of the wizard, they are more versatile in the support role (healing hex comes to mind) and even if they run out of spells, they have the endurance of hexes. Also, witch is a very interesting character archetype. :D

Jen decides to follow Loran after the horrors of the magic mirror. They charter a ride to an [undisclosed island] and

Spoiler alert

[hide]

Open a shop together. However, after Jen sets Loran's best cloak on fire, and Loran sells Jen's Hippogriff to a meat store to buy a new one, they declare war on each other. Being masters of different economic systems they quickly convince those in the street, then neighbourhood then city to take sides, growing in power all the while.

Eventually open warfare erupts, que storm that forces the party to land on the Island, and (more) hilarity ensues.

[/hide]

Anyway, if Grim is back then we have our Arcane Spellcaster.

Though not overly fussed. Can you please post your character sheet though, mostly so Wyvern has it...and so we can suggest what to do, rather than asking 'do you have'...also so your character can be used proactively when you aren't there.

And yes, as far as I can tell Nex is now avoiding the computer, so I am adopting Nellos for the interim.

I still suspect that our economic systems are just isomorphic forms of the traditional pyramid scams.

Edit: And I was already assuming that Grim was still playing, but now that I think back, I realize that it wasn't the case for the past few sessions. Thing about witch and sorcerer is that they seldom overlap.

Okay, finally got a chance to look at it, and Winter witch seems fine. I would prefer not using the retcon approach, but if you would prefer, I guess it would work. If you do make a new character it would be nice if you could come up with an excuse to be in the Dwarven nation of Gwendeep. going to Work out the rewards from the last adventure a bit later tonight.

Okay, I will figure it out. My character sheet is almost finished and I should be able to send it to you either tonight or tomorrow.

I don't have much of a preference either way for retcon or new, but it took a really long time to get into the group with the accusations of being a gnomish spy. (Haha) Although if the group is being reassembled, then it makes more sense to be a newcomer and leave the legacy of the old Jen intact, as the personality of this new character might have more darker sides.

-

Also, it seems that the character is turning out more debuff-heavy with a side of battlefield control and gravy on top, but I will still be bringing along healing supplies should the need arise. Be warned that it is not super heavy duty healing, so it will not likely be helpful during a battle. If someone brings along a cleric, hopefully we can get some heavier duty healing there.

And everything is completely thematic! :D

So basically everyone should have 33,000 GP - their characters starting funds?

So I, having joined at level 7 would get 9,500 GP, Ico having joined at level 8 would get 0 GP and Ross, having joined at level 5 would get 22,500, correct?

So basically everyone should have 33,000 GP - their characters starting funds?

So I, having joined at level 7 would get 9,500 GP, Ico having joined at level 8 would get 0 GP and Ross, having joined at level 5 would get 22,500, correct?

Yeah, assuming the party wasn't higher than level 5 when I last went and gave stuff out after you got the boat. (I honestly can't remeber what level you were all at then)

Edit: okay, went back and figured it out-

Martel, Caliber, and Mask get 22,000 GP (technically it should be 21400, but I will be nice) which includes a refund for the boat as so many party members joined after that point that its not quite fair counting the Soaring Rose against you.

Archi and anyone else who joined at 7th level gets 9500 GP

Everyone who has joined since 8th Level gets nothing as you came in at the current amount of money.

I would assume that we don't get to spend the money we have before the first session, correct?

On a semi related note, we now have a party made up of:

what ever the hell icu makes (icu)

A warforged fighter who takes the "kill 'em all let the gods sort them out" approach (ross)

A winter witch (retech)

A summoner (nex, if he ever gets back)

An infernal sorcerer who acts the part (grim)

A gnomish ninja (arch, I think)

A thief (mask)

Yep, there's no way we're not going to get some sort of group of paladins/adventurers following us after a few more islands, trying to track down the bastards who burnt down their town.

LNYvk.png

I look forward to a group of paladins chasing us. We are mostly of the tavern good or tavern neutral alignments, so their smite abilities do not work, and they are bound by their strict codes. I'm more concerned about bounty hunters using some underhanded tactics.