The Second Thousand - A Noob's Journey (Less Than 80 Levels Left)

Spent all my time last session on slayer tasks:

116 moss giants - I finished this task, having about 85 left over from my prior session. I leveled ranged (56) and received 42 charms, along with a spinach roll. Huh? Not tradeable; apparently a rare event item from long ago. It's going to take up space in my bank until I decide whether to eat it, drop it, or wave it around wildly.

47 crocodiles - Boringly simple, I remembered water skins and got through this task quickly. No drops.

61 hill giants - Vannaka sure was being nice to me after those jellies. These are a nice task for me, as they're simple and drop charms and sometimes nice herbs and runes. I stuck around after the task was completed, to level attack (69). I got 37 charms as well.

100 bloodvelds - Ah ha. Vannaka was just lulling me to sleep with easy tasks, and then dropped this doozy on me. These guys offer great slayer and combat experience, but they hit often and hard. I ran back and forth a few times between the Slayer Tower and the Canifis bank, loading up on sharks. I killed 61 before calling it quits, receiving 28 charms (18 green) and three rune helms (11K each), and leveling slayer (55). I was going for a good camera angle and missed the leveling screen, so here's a poor substitute:

[spoiler=Now I Slay Me Down To Sleep]slayerlvl55.png

Total levels = 1,563

I took a break from combat yesterday and spent a little time on the two most recent skilling updates. I spent about 45 minutes at bonfires at the Grand Exchange and outside the Draynor bank. The chat quality was fairly dull, making this a very boring skill to train when non-afk. I received some charms from three spirits, and leveled firemaking to 78.

I spent about an hour in Runespan, leveling runecrafting twice (61, 62). The highlight of this hour was finding the yellow wizard twice for a total of 3,900 experience.

Runetrack is finally back up after being down for about four days. Unfortunately, it appears as though none of my daily scoring was tracked, which is a bummer because it messed up my averages by day/date and doesn't show my daily runecrafting high scores or the 430K total exp session I had a few days ago.

Not much of an update, but it's all I got.

Total levels = 1,566

Nice to see all those runecrafting level-ups. You seem to have done quite a lot of slayer too. Sad to hear about the broken runetrack thing. I don't use it myself, but I am sure that it must be irritating!

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

• 2 weeks later...

The lack of updates was due to a long vacation out of the country, where I had the opportunity to play only long enough to max resources at my clan's citadel. Other than that, I stayed off the internet for eight days. Here's what I've been up to since my last post, which includes a session before the vacation and a very long session yesterday:

- I got all skills to level 45+, using JoT on farming:

[spoiler=Leveling Farming Without Farming]farminglvl45.png

- I spent a long time in the Runespan, leveling seven times (63-69). I was excited about reaching level 67, which allowed me to climb the bone ladder to the highest floor. Skulls and jumpers and nebula, oh my! The death esswraiths are very interesting looking. Runecrafting has become one of my highest-level skills, which is something I never would have anticipated even a month ago. Here's a shot of level 65:

[spoiler=Runeing Up The Score]runecraftinglvl65.png

- I maxed in the citadel twice. I leveled herblore (46) using the fealty bonus provided by my clan cape, and also leveled summoning (46) (this got my total combat level to 90), smithing (61), cooking (76) and crafting twice (74, 75):

[spoiler=Weave Me Alone]craftinglvl75.png

- I ran into Turnpikes again while chopping ivy south of Falador, and he generously gave me 500K gold. I won't ever ask for donations, but I'm not against accepting an unsolicited offer. Thanks, Turnpikes!

- Between woodcutting, some bonfire activity, clan skilling and Runespanning yesterday, I earned 609K experience yesterday, the first time ever reaching 600K in a single day.

- I received a medium constitution lamp in Squeal of Fortune, which leveled that skill (69).

- From May 17th to the 18th I jumped more than 35K places in the rankings, which is evidence of some account banning on Jagex' part. For three days last week I was in the top 300,000 of all ranked players.

- When I started the blog I had a little more than 2.4 million total experience. Getting 25% of that total in one day was something I could not have conceived of last September.

As always, thanks for the views and comments.

Total levels = 1,581

Last session was completely nondescript. I used the JoT experience on farming to get level 46. Then I spent a couple hours fletching yews and chopping ivy. I'm getting close to leveling both of my highest skills. My next fletching session should result in level 89, and I'm less than two hours of woodcutting away from level 94.

Some short-term goals:

- finish the bloodveld task and continue slaying

- do some quests!

- do some tasks!

- 1,600 total levels

Total levels = 1,582

My next fletching session should result in level 89, and I'm less than two hours of woodcutting away from level 94.

Guess what I did last session?

[spoiler=My Highest-Level Skills Get Even Higher]woodcuttinglvl94.png

fletchinglvl89.png

Can't really make a story out of the session, but I did get a lot of chatting done, and sold about 1,250 strung yew longbows. Those bows, by the way, have gotten more profitable over the past month. I wonder if that's a direct reflection of the recent bot nuke.

Regarding the upcoming combat beta, I really don't have an interest in being part of the beta. I figure that any hours beta testing the new combat system would be hours I couldn't be spending on my main character. Even though it would be advantageous to gain an understanding of the system before it's implemented, I'd rather put the time that I do have available into improving my skills. Also, I think I fall about a month short of the one-year member requirement for automatic acceptance into the beta version. So you'll have to let me know how it is.

Total levels = 1,584

I really liked your first post and your casual style of playing.

It's refreshing to see someone who really enjoys the game. You don't get sucked into the efficiency vs. fun debate. You just play.

I wish you luck on your goals. Get that 2k total!

4e0Vn.png

Nice progress Gregor, less than halfway to go towards 99 lumberjackery! :thumbup:

I took a break for couple months, so haven't followed your progress that closely lately, but glad to see you're still going strong through the levels. :P With this rate, we'll get a boss-killing partner out of you in no time!

u5zhkTY.gif

Thanks for the inspiring comments, guys. Trey, you're right, I do enjoy the game very much. I will say, though, that I am significantly more interested in the efficiency aspect of the game than I was when I started this blog. Although it is still far off in the distance, I can see reaching 2,000 levels as a realistic possibility, so I tend to think about the amount of time (both in calendar days and game hours) it might take to get there. At 1,000 total levels I was not sure whether I would even be playing to 1,500 levels, let alone 2K. Still, most of what I choose to do is based on whether I'll enjoy it.

I've had a couple busy sessions, with yesterday's being extremely productive. Not necessarily in order, here's what I accomplished:

- I spent some time in the Runespan, leveling twice (70, 71):

[spoiler=Spending Time on the Shifter]runecraftinglvl70.png

Something I certainly did not foresee being able to type a couple of months ago: runecrafting became my sixth level-70 skill. Since reaching 1,500 total levels, 27 of my levels have been in this skill, all but one in the 'Span'.

- I completed five floors in the dungeons of Daemonheim (24-28). I spent about an hour in total and earned just over 12K dungeoneering experience, leveling that skill to 55. Frustratingly, I forgot to paste the screenshot into Paint so I have no picture glorifying this minor achievement. I fought Night-Gazer for the first time on floor 26, and then again on 27. The second time was much easier, as protection against magic and the ability to duck away from it before it strikes hard makes this boss a nearly food-free battle. I was able to complete floor 27 in 8:06 (c6 small), which I feel is a good time given my level and the floor number. After clearing floor 28 I had to reset my prestige, so my next session of dungeoneering will start with the first floor.

- I spent my weekly couple of hours skilling in the clan citadel. First I used my fealty bonus on farming, reaching level 47. Next, I trained summoning, and then cooking (level 77) and crafting (level 76). I set a personal daily best in the crafting skill of 119K. All that told me is that I don't train crafting outside of the citadel, because a few hours dedicated to that skill would far surpass that experience total. Since I seem to be unable to spend more than two consecutive hours doing any one thing in Runescape, however, it's unlikely that will happen any time soon. Before I left the citadel, I claimed a ring and charged it at the woodcutting plot.

- I chopped a fair amount of ivy, and passed eight million total experience in woodcutting. I'm currently less than 600K away from level 95 but feel no pressing need to focus on leveling it once, let alone to 99. The current odds for my first level 99 skill, as I see them:

1-2 Woodcutting

4-1 Fletching

10-1 Runecrafting

12-1 Firemaking

20-1 Cooking

50-1 Field (any other skill)

- I used up my green charms (about 85) on making compost mound pouches, leveling summoning to 47. I have a few hundred gold charms to use, but marigolds have become extremely expensive so bull ant pouches are out of the question. Granite crab pouches, while much cheaper since iron ore is down to just over 100 each on the GE, give lousy experience, so I'm going to wait until level 52 to use the golds on spirit terrorbird pouches.

- I rescued the six corgis that escaped from Varrock while in preparation for the Diamond Jubilee. A friend helped me by giving me locations, allowing me to complete this task in about ten minutes. I got my own pet corgi as a reward. Who knows if it will ever leave my bank?

- The JoT aura bonus tome got me level 47 in herblore.

- On my first post-update Squeal of Fortune spins, I won 5,000 coins (certainly better than 50) and ten uncooked apple pies (worth about 10K on the GE). Better, but I still don't see the point.

- I earned a total of 440K experience yesterday, good for my fourth-best daily total. Just one of my best 25 daily totals is from 2011, and that will likely fall from the list altogether at some point in June.

Total levels = 1,592

As most everyone has, I received the Mad Necklace yesterday upon logging in and visiting Diango. 250K bonus experience to be used in any skill we want - that's a nice bonus, particularly for players like me who aren't high level. I've been thinking about the best use of the bonus. The consensus seems to be using it on the expensive buyables (herblore, prayer) or summoning. Any of those would work for me, but a slow training skill like agility is also a possibility. Even wearing the necklace while training combat and slayer would be a good idea for me, as I would like to start leveling strength, attack and defense more quickly.

As of now, I haven't used the necklace on anything. I'm still figuring this out.

Since my last post, I passed one million experience in runecrafting, leveling twice (72 and 73). I also passed five million total experience in fletching, and level 90 is quickly approaching. The biggest milestone for me, though, was reaching 25 million total experience. I meant to save a screenshot, I really did, but my intentions did not translate to action. So...a wall of text is all this post will be.

A few other things from my last session:

- I went through floors 1-4 in the Daemonheim dungeon, averaging about 9:30 per small c6 floor and earning 5,300 dungeoneering experience.

- I spent time around a bonfire outside the Draynor bank, leveling firemaking to 79. I helped out five fire spirits in about 10 minutes, gaining a nice selection of charms. After leveling, I spent some time cooking lobsters on the bonfire, although I quit before leveling.

- I spun the Squeal Wheel two consecutive days. Rune plate and a few lamps were the best rewards received, and I used two medium lamps on summoning, leveling that skill to 48.

Total levels = 1,596

Keep going! You're closing in on 1600 total levels :) do you have any plans to raise all skills above a certain level? I find that was a good way to train a variety of skills and to keep me switching between skills. The milestone capes can be very good motivation!

Once you hit the second lot of Abandoned floors (f30-35, or levels 59-69), would you consider doing your floors as a 5-man team? The experience increase is massive, and I found it much more fun than soloing. Good luck, and keep skilling!

Keep going! You're closing in on 1600 total levels :) do you have any plans to raise all skills above a certain level? I find that was a good way to train a variety of skills and to keep me switching between skills. The milestone capes can be very good motivation!

Once you hit the second lot of Abandoned floors (f30-35, or levels 59-69), would you consider doing your floors as a 5-man team? The experience increase is massive, and I found it much more fun than soloing. Good luck, and keep skilling!

My immediate plans are to get all skills to 50+. I likely won't have all skills to level 60 until around 1,800 total levels. As far as dungeoneering, I definitely would consider being part of a team, although I'd prefer to not randomly group up with people. If I found a small group of players willing to team up regularly, I'd be all for it. Thanks for the positive comments!

Let's start this update with a picture:

[spoiler=1600 Levels]1600milestone.png

The last 100 levels seem to have gone by quickly. A lot of that is due to the Runespan update, responsible for 29 of the 100 levels. I've played for exactly 28 days (672 hours), which seems like a fairly fast pace for my total level.

The four levels I gained to get me to 1,600 total came from cooking on a bonfire (level 78) and hunting swamp lizards (levels 46-48). Those lizards are selling at very attractive prices right now. I sold 111 for 136K immediately.

After reaching my milestone, I activated my Greater Surefooted Aura and trained at the wilderness course, and used the Mad Necklace for the first time. I was killed within five minutes by some random idiot, losing absolutely nothing but the few minutes it took me to switch worlds and come back to the course. With the bonus experience provided by the necklace, I leveled agility twice (58, 59) before getting hit again (supposedly accidently this time - yeah right) and poisoned, which killed me with about two minutes remaining on the aura.

Now what? I foresee leveling to 1,700 total at a slower pace, as I really plan to focus on some quests and combat skills. I've said that many times before, however.

Total levels = 1,602

Congrats on 1600 total levels! I'm closing in on 50+ all skills myself, it's just a nice milestone to reach so good luck with what skills you have remaining!

Jamje.png

null and void

Thanks, JAMjE! It's definitely a nice little milestone. After yesterday I need just three levels in farming and two each in herblore and summoning to be at least level 50 in every skill.

I reached level 48 in herblore thanks to the JoT bonus tome. After that I spun the Squeal, and received a Queen's Guard Top. There's something that will likely just sit in my bank in mothballs. After receiving this, I remembered that I had a bunch of costume points saved up from various random events, so I visited Iffie in Varrock and collected a full mime outfit, camo kit, frog kit, zombie outfit and lederhosen outfit. Now you may notice me wearing some different (likely goofy) outfits when I'm skilling. I ran around most of yesterday in the camo outfit.

I spent most of the last session fletching (carving and stringing yew longbows), and reached level 90 amidst some dead soldiers in Taverly:

[spoiler=Death By Carving?]fletchinglvl90.png

Even though they're two of the absolute easiest skills to level, it feels pretty good to have fletching and woodcutting at 90+.

After my fletching mini-marathon, I headed to the swamps east of Canifis to the swamp lizards, where I picked up levels 49 and 50:

[spoiler=I Saved 15% On Car Insurance By Hunting Lizards]hunterlvl50.png

It took me a fair amount of time to find a world that had an opening for this hunt. I suspect that there are a number of bots working hard at this skill, particularly because there is decent money in swamp lizards. I caught and sold 110 of them yesterday for 154K. That's quick money for someone poor like me. I think that next time I try hunting, it will be at the falconry.

Total levels = 1,606

As has become my Tuesday routine, I spent the morning skilling in the clan citadel, focusing on summoning (level 49), smithing (level 62), firemaking (to make charcoal for smithing) and crafting. I did not leave enough resources available to level crafting, the first week since I joined the clan (I think) without a level in that skill. That must just mean I'm getting to a decently high level. I used the Mad Necklace to get bonus experience while training summoning and smithing, and still have about 88% of the bonus left.

After maxing resources, I charged the clan ring at the woodcutting plot and then chopped ivy until the bonus ran out, leaving me with less than half a million experience to level 95. When I'm looking to be lazy, chopping ivy/yew seems to have been supplanted by fletching or runecrafting, so my guess is it will be a while before I get another woodcutting level.

Speaking of runecrafting, I spent the remainder of the session in the Runespan, leveling to 74. I found a trio of nebulae, and one was on the steps, so of course I grabbed a pic:

[spoiler=Steppin' to the Nebula]runespannebulaonsteps.png

I logged off with just under 100K remaining to level 75 in runecrafting, so I'm sure that's where I'll be spending the first chunk of time in my next session.

Total levels = 1,609

As mentioned in my last post, I logged off in the Runespan within striking distance of level 75, so upon my most recent log-in that's where I spent a fair amount of time. I was able to locate a number of skulls, jumpers, shifters and nebulae, making it easy to level runecrafting to 75:

[spoiler=A Little Slow on the Print Scrn]runecraftinglvl75.png

I left the 'Span with a few thousand points and a desire to fletch, so I wasted took about 45 minutes to fletch and string yew longbows, while listening to some of the most inane chatter I've heard to date in Runescape. Usually the Varrock Bank in world 86 is a little better for conversation, but not yesterday.

Once I had read enough stupidity for one day, I equipped myself with the Greater Surefooted Aura and my Mad Necklace and traveled to the Wildnerness Agility Course. I was not attacked for the entire 40 minutes that the aura lasted, a first for me. I'll need to visit that particular world again (I had moved from w86). I managed to level agility twice (to 61):

[spoiler=Alone And Loving It]agilitylvl61.png

Perhaps the Werewolf Agility Course is next in my agility-training future.

Total levels = 1,612

Two levels, three quests, five pictures.

Level #1 - I spent time at the Grand Exchange at a bonfire, throwing in maple logs and engaging in some decent chat. I reached two million experience in firemaking and level 80:

[spoiler=S'more Leveling at the Bonfire]firemakinglvl80.png

Quest #1 - I traveled to Tree Gnome Village and helped them fight off the Khazard invasion:

[spoiler=Gnome More Fighting?]Treegnomevillagequest.png

The Amulet of Protection will be something I'll probably wear occasionally; the cool reward is the ability to teleport through the spirit tree system. I planned to test it out and got the opportunity to teleport directly to an evil tree, so I did that. I earned about 8K woodcutting experience and got some logs and a couple seeds as a reward. This quest is one of the prerequisites for Monkey Madness, which is the main reason I completed it.

Quest #2 - I finally decided to tackle the Tears of Guthix quest. This was overdue for me since it gives basically free weekly experience in one's lowest-leveled skill; why not take advantage of this? Plus it felt all tingly getting carried across the cavern:

[spoiler=Carried By the Light]TearsofGuthix1.png

This was one of the quickest quest points I've earned:

[spoiler=Serpent Storytime]TearsofGuthix2.png

Level #2 - I played the game after completing the quest, and earned enough experience to reach level 48 in farming.

Quest #3 - I completed Elemental Workshop II:

[spoiler=Quest Point Workshop]ElementalWorkshopII.png

This was a fun quest, even though it contained little more than searching for parts and fixing broken areas of the workshop. I liked the way the rooms were designed; it felt as though I were sneaking around my grandfather's basement. I'm not sure if I'll use the mind helm I got as a reward, but it looks interesting. The smithing and crafting experience I also received was decent.

Completing these three quests resulted in six Squeal of Fortune spins. They were pretty much worthless; a couple small experience lamps were the best items won.

Total levels = 1,614

Congratulations on those recent levels and quests. It's as interesting as always to read your blog. And congratulations on passing 1,6k total!

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Thanks, Swedishboy!

I completed a couple of slayer tasks last session. First I had that nagging bloodveld task to wrap up; I was putting it off because they take a while to kill and deal significant damage to someone of my level, so I ran through a bunch of sharks on the first half of the task. This time, however, I wore my ranging gear and found some safe spots in the Slayer Tower, so I finished up the remaining 35+ bloodvelds without using a single food. I also leveled ranged to 57. Bloodvelds do drop some nice loot; I picked up about 46K worth of items along with 19 charms.

For the second slayer task, I had to kill 66 cockatrices. Simple, simple, simple. I think I had to eat two sharks, and I leveled defense to 66 in the process. This marked my 19th straight task, so I need to remember to get the next assignment from someone higher level than Mr. Edgeville Dungeon. How can he even stand being in there all the time? It's much too gloomy for my tastes.

I spent about 45 minutes chopping ivy after completing the tasks, but achieved nothing of any consequence. The only other item of note was my Squeal of Fortune spins. On the first spin I got a 'rare' fish mask:

[spoiler=Covering Up Ugly With Uglier]fishmask.png

I'm not sure what they're selling for right now, but if I can get some millions I may go ahead and sell it. For a poor guy like myself, 3-5 million is significant. Then again, I may just shove it in the dark recesses of my bank and forget about it for a long time.

My second spin resulted in a medium lamp, which I used on herblore to level that skill to 49.

This likely will be my last post for about a week, as I'm heading to Las Vegas tomorrow. Unless I go broke early, I don't think I'll find myself playing Runescape.

Total levels = 1,617

Nice one on the fish mask, I'd probably sell it if I happened across one, but there are some who predict it to eventually turn into a rare in the same way santa hats and other one off items have in the past.

Have a good time in Vegas, I look forward to more insightful and well written updates when you return!

Jamje.png

null and void

Skill Moar - thanks for the comments! I plan to continue blogging as long as I keep playing this game.

JAMjE - I'll probably hang on to the mask for awhile. I don't need the money for anything I plan on doing in the short term.

So...I had a great time in Vegas. I averaged about 13 hours of poker each day, met a number of pros, ate a few good meals and finished with a profit. Until about 30 minutes ago, I hadn't logged on to my computer since last Tuesday. It was a nice break.

That being said, there's not much to this post. I skilled in the clan citadel after the build tick last week, before I caught a ride to the airport. I leveled crafting to 77 and mining to 66, used the clan fealty bonus on farming, and charged the clan ring at the woodcutting plot. I then chopped ivy until the ring crumbled into dust. That's so dramatic.

Total levels = 1,619

Thanks, levine1996!

I found out yesterday that my son fell for a phishing scam, losing nearly all of his gold along with 30 million worth of equipment. He received an in-game message that prayers and curses were being taken out of Runescape, and to do a Google search for a YouTube video discussing this plan. He ended up clicking on a link to the 'official RS forum' which he didn't notice had two e's at the end of 'Runescape'. While there, he entered his log-in name and password, and the next time he logged on to the game found himself sans clothing in the middle of the Grand Exchange. We had a discussion about clicking on links provided by strangers, but I really just felt bad for him. He put a lot of work into his character, and it will take a lot of effort to get back all he lost. I'm hopeful that he'll continue playing, but for now he's understandably dejected.

When I logged in yesterday, I found myself unable to enter the citadel. Apparently, the weekly game update resulted in a glitch preventing access. I spent a couple of minutes getting the JoT aura bonus, using it on farming (level 49). I'm now just three levels away from reaching level 50 in each skill.

After logging off and coming back an hour later, the citadel problem was resolved, so I spent the majority of the session maxing resources. I trained summoning (remembering to wear my Mad Necklace), smithing (level 63) and crafting (level 78). As has become standard operating procedure, I obtained a clan ring, charged it at the woodcutting plot, and chopped ivy until the bonus experience was used up. I passed 8.5 million total experience in woodcutting.

Runetrack is down yet again. Very frustrating, and it's messing up my statistical tracking.

Total levels = 1,622