Coping with a monthly usage limit.

Octarine

Sooo our bill came for the internet this month and of our 40Gb allowed usage, we used 47Gb. Not too much over, but they still charged us £10 for it.

Could anyone please help with tips on how to cut this down a bit? I'l list the things we use on a day to day basis since that'l probably help, if someone could rank how much they probably use of the bandwidth.

Both computers:

Runescape

General browsing (few webcomics, facebook, G+, google docs, TIF)

Streaming videos (big bang theory, futurama etc - ~1 to 2 hours a day at most)

Skype (only messaging)

Minor downloads (installs/updates etc)

Hosting a Minecraft or Terraria server (which connects with other non-local users)

Connecting to said server (local connection)

One computer:

Steam, mostly just updating but 30+ games to update whenever it likes.

Occasional online gaming through steam

XBL (rarely)

Minor downloads to XB/Wii/3DS

thanks for any help, I don't really want to cut anything down majorly, just get under the 40Gb limit and know which areas are real problem areas :P

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Thought as maybe, hopefully that one should improve a little with me going back to uni in a week or so, meaning it'l just be my brother on the connection

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Video streaming, hosting a server are gonna be the top bandwidth eaters; the rest are not gonna do much.

You have to bear in mind standard tv show videos are around 150mb for 30minutes and 300mb for an hour, just cause you stream them opposed to download doesn't mean this size disappears. It may be reduced a little, but not by a huge amount.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

is there a noscript equivalence for chrome? I'l get something of the like downloaded asap to help I guess

Good to know streaming is probably the problem, I'l talk to my brother about it in the morning.

Are there any reliable ways to monitor bandwidth usage out there too? As for the minecraft server, I imagine it wont be a very nice amount it uses, but its usually only connected to three or four people for one or two days in any month anyway (just with friends)

safersbanner.png

"running a server" is not necessarily going to use much bandwidth, it entirely depends on what the server is doing.

Streaming videos is the thing you need to cut down on. Stop streaming completely, and I doubt you use 20 gb.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Lol we get 5GB a month for the whole family..wish I had 40GB. Cant even youtube. :S

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

My daytime cap is 40 and I've used like.. 15GB of it. I host games/servers though I have unmetered upload, so it has a limited effect on my overall usage. If I host games/servers I don't notice much of a difference in the downstream.

Basically cut out streaming and you'll see a massive drop in usage.

Or increase the cap? I know you'd be paying more but that sucks. Looks like a lot of people have caps, I don't have one. A lot of people around here go with the same ISP as the one I'm using specifically for this, since they use about 300GB bandwidth per month.

A friend got a message from his ISP (virgin) telling him to cut down on his 'unlimited' usage, that was from hosting a minecraft server. They can take up a lot of traffic with 5+ people online. What's your ISP by the way? You could always consider changing/upgrading.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

My ISP is BellAliant and it's one of 2 ISPs in my region, the other being Rogers, which by the way, I was with but was getting 3Mb/s when paying for 10Mb/s and a 95GB limit.

Right now I'm paying for 15Mb/s and this is what I'm getting:

1501690857.png

Or increase the cap? I know you'd be paying more but that sucks. Looks like a lot of people have caps, I don't have one. A lot of people around here go with the same ISP as the one I'm using specifically for this, since they use about 300GB bandwidth per month.

Not really possible here in the UK.

Most ISPs offer either a flat 40GB "home" plan OR you can get "unlimited", but the pitfalls of "unlimited" in the UK are as follows - hidden shaping, port throttling and ridiculous spikes in latency/network congestion at peak times of the day. Often it's much less hassle to get a capped but unthrottled/low contention plan than to go through with "unlimited".

Your ISP should have a service to track your daily usage. I know I do, we usually plan out the usage of our 100gb limit by tracking it regularly. Towards the end we make sure we don't go over. Just try and look for something like that.

Gee..40GB seem an awful low cap - my ISP has a 200 GB cap and sometimes I still think it's a bit low.

Overall, the biggest bandage users will always be video and audio, followed by games (those are not small). None of the other stuff should add to much (RS is next to to nothing once you've got most of the maps loaded)

Either cut down on steam or the videos would be your best bet. And if you got the net elsewhere and a laptop - go leech their bandwidth (pssst library) lol.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg