Careers

Guest Rob

I'm currently studying Music, which has another year to go, but I'm not at Uni level yet (I don't want to start it yet). I also have studied Music Tech at the same level, which I passed with the highest grades, though I don't generally want to produce other people's music anymore.

I would like to go into composing music for Games, or becoming a professional musician or something along those lines. I cant quite make up my mind. If I could do both at the same time, I most definitely would.

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too long ago there was a similar thread, i think. If memories serves me right i said something along the lines of wanting to become a pilot. I didn't actually think i would manage to stick to it because i've never really found anything i was really passionate about.

After today i can safely say that i am passionate about flying. I actually got really upset when one of my flights got canceled due to bad weather.

I'm a few days away from getting both my JAA and FAA PPL (Private Pilot's License) after which ATPL groundschool will start. After a about 8 months of groundschool and 14 exams (assuming i pass them all) i'll be able to work at Qatar Airways as a 2nd Officer for a year to two years after which i'll be promoted to 1st Officer. Should be earning about $3500 - $4000 (tax free) a month with free housing (Like a 2 bedroom apartment) in a great area with a car allowance. When promoted to 1st Officer i could earn anywhere from $8000 - $10 000 a month (also tax free) with the house and car allowance as well. If i manage to work myself up to Captain i could probably earn double that.

But to be quite honest the money really isn't a big issue to me. I just can't imagine getting in a Boeing or Airbus for the first time. I can't imagine it ever getting boring.

Currently trying to get into Paramedicine. Aside from it being shift work (12 hour shifts that rotate between night and day), that's where I really want to be, and I am more than willing to put up with the shifts to get that kind of job. Around here, I could also work my way into working in Emerge at a hospital. All the hospitals around here, use paramedics as triage nurses instead of actual nurses.

In the meantime, I am studying Economics.

I'm currently studying digital arts in university. I'd like to work in the game industry when I graduate. Right now I'm working as a freelance web designer on the side.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Currently in my 3rd year of a mechanical engineering degree.

I'm leaning towards doing a graduate degree in the same field after graduating, partially because I think it would be interesting and allow me to learn something at a very high level, and partially because I am in no hurry to go out and start working.

Studying is stressful sometimes, especially in the middle of exams like I am right now... but my strengths have always been in math/science and academics in general.

I plan on contacting some professors soon to see if any of them are willing to hire me as a research assistant over the summer so I can get some real experience and decide if doing grad/research work is what I want to do.

Downside: Seeing people update their status on facebook to "wooo finally made it through both of my exams, time for Christmas break!", while you still have 7 exams and 2 weeks to go.

I just can't imagine getting in a Boeing or Airbus for the first time. I can't imagine it ever getting boring.

Hahaha. Just remember, you don't fly an Airbus. It flies you.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

I'm going to try for an ICT course in Uni, gotta apply in a week or so. I'm not sure what I wanna "be" but I'm just going with the flow.

Currently doing a Fast Track BTEC Level 3 ICT course, I will get two A-Levels equivalents at the end and that should be enough for the UCAS system thing.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

I just did my first year on enegineering (first year is general, second year is with a speciality). I plan on doing computer engineering which I'm pretty sure I have the grades for (havn't been accepted yet though).

It's a mix of computer science and electrical engineering, which I think is very cool.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

I just did my first year on enegineering (first year is general, second year is with a speciality). I plan on doing computer engineering which I'm pretty sure I have the grades for (havn't been accepted yet though).

It's a mix of computer science and electrical engineering, which I think is very cool.

I'm planning on studying the same as you Doomy. Where are you studying it?

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I'm planning on studying the same as you Doomy. Where are you studying it?

Awesome man! Canterbury for me.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

Currently in my third year of a History degree with the aim of progressing into teaching. Currently in the process of applying for positions for my PGCE (post-grad certificate in education) to teach which will take me a year. Just spend a few days in a school sitting in on classes and being the other side of the fence to what I'm used to. Looks very stressful but so rewarding.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Looks like I'm one of the few who have no plans. I'm currently working in a factory with no intentions of going to school, despite half of the people there and elsewhere trying to convince me to. I would go, but I can't think of a single thing I would want to study.

I'm currently on my internship as an Investment Banking Analyst at one of the big banks. I'll be a fourth year accounting undergraduate in the upcoming school year, minoring in psychology and political science. I'm studying for LSAT and GMAT as I may want to pursue part-time JD or MBA. Also, I might pursue a CPA designation. I've also obtained my project management certification. I want to either become a corporate lawyer, manager/executive or professor.

Currently in my third year of a History degree with the aim of progressing into teaching. Currently in the process of applying for positions for my PGCE (post-grad certificate in education) to teach which will take me a year. Just spend a few days in a school sitting in on classes and being the other side of the fence to what I'm used to. Looks very stressful but so rewarding.

I started off wanting to do something similar, but realized the history taught at the secondary education level is pathetic (at least here in America). I also don't want to teach students that aren't interested in the subject matter. I'd rather have a professorial position where the students actually give two shits.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I started off wanting to do something similar, but realized the history taught at the secondary education level is pathetic (at least here in America). I also don't want to teach students that aren't interested in the subject matter. I'd rather have a professorial position where the students actually give two shits.

I agree with you that history at the secondary education level is quite boring, but if you're at all interested in government, that is a class that I have seen some excellent teachers for, to the point that, despite it being a required class, kids really enjoy it.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

In my third year of five for my Masters in Music Education. After that I plan on taking a couple years of school to teach, then go back to school to get my Masters in Performance for euphonium. After THAT I plan on getting my doctorate in conducting. It's going to be a very hard road but at least I have a plan for my future.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

I just can't imagine getting in a Boeing or Airbus for the first time. I can't imagine it ever getting boring.

Actually no, it flies itself.

Pilot's do very little but monitor these days. Take-offs(up to about 18 000 ft) and landings (landing on short final which could be as short as 200ft from the runway) are done manually the rest is done by auto pilot.

Pilot's do very little but monitor these days. Take-offs(up to about 18 000 ft) and landings (landing on short final which could be as short as 200ft from the runway) are done manually the rest is done by auto pilot.

Mmm sure, but at least the Boeing doesn't interfere with your control inputs in the way that an Airbus does. Do you spend any time using small scale sims like MSFS or X-Plane?

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Mmm sure, but at least the Boeing doesn't interfere with your control inputs in the way that an Airbus does. Do you spend any time using small scale sims like MSFS or X-Plane?

Nah i never really had a liking for Simulators. At least not on a laptop/computer. Our school has some sort of simulator (not sure which) which we will most likely start using at a later stage. I don't really know much about those kind of things (control input interference) because that's still a bit ahead of the course. Still busy finishing off my PPL at the moment (have my JAA and FAA Check Rides next week Monday and Tuesday and we only just started with ATPL Groundschool this week :P

Nah i never really had a liking for Simulators. At least not on a laptop/computer. Our school has some sort of simulator (not sure which) which we will most likely start using at a later stage. I don't really know much about those kind of things (control input interference) because that's still a bit ahead of the course. Still busy finishing off my PPL at the moment (have my JAA and FAA Check Rides next week Monday and Tuesday and we only just started with ATPL Groundschool this week :P

God that sounds like a load of fun. I'm a longtime X-Plane user, and I really think sims are something every aspiring pilot should have a go at, if anything to practice IFR work and procedures. If you can find a joystick that makes it much better, and if you get into it you can get a whole yoke/throttles/pedals setup like I have. Give it another try when you get a chance. :)

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

I agree with you that history at the secondary education level is quite boring, but if you're at all interested in government, that is a class that I have seen some excellent teachers for, to the point that, despite it being a required class, kids really enjoy it.

Some courses offer an interesting overview of the U.S. government, but rarely provide any critique of it, which is my main problem with the field at the secondary level anyways. There's never any critique, it's just "here's the way things are."

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Some courses offer an interesting overview of the U.S. government, but rarely provide any critique of it, which is my main problem with the field at the secondary level anyways. There's never any critique, it's just "here's the way things are."

Then here's an opportunity for you to change that, eh? Teaching needs to evolve, and that requires new teachers bringing new ideas.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

If it was as simple as that, I would have no problem doing it. Unfortunately, the education department here and state/national standards severely limit the content you can teach. I'm not interested in fighting to teach something while risking my job when I could just go to school longer, learn more, and land a better job with more freedom to teach and research what I want.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

Right now I'm in my third year of university. I'm a Computer Science student. It'll probly take me 2 more years to get my degree. I was hoping to get it in 4 years, but apparently the work load ends up being *really* heavy in third year, so I dropped a couple classes. :P My hope is that after graduating, I'll just get a job which pays decent. O.O I'd really like to get into game progamming. Not necessarily game design, it'd just be cool to program games. But I know that particular area is really competitive. The dream I guess is to start sort of a small indie company. I'd love to be something like Atlus.. small, but innovative. I love JRPG's!

Blakdragon39.png