The Back Room

stevepole

Sigh. I'm having trouble with Minecraft. It says one mod is conflicting with another mod, even though they were working perfectly before hand.

EDIT: Now it's fixed, finally.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Almost Microsoft! ALMOST!

Actually I am finding Windows 7 to be full of reasonably handy features...and my complete and unreserved hatred of the the OS has been tempered by having used it occassionally before now, so am more tolerant. Also the Alienware stuff carefully moderates between the terrible W7 control panel, and the much loved XP control panel. However I can't get the Skype icon to go away, and I rather liked being able to see all the tabs I had open.

To be honest though, this experiance of using a new computer has been one of the most enjoyable I have ever had...I want for nothing (bar the little things above), I am not bamboozled by intolerable browsing speed, bloatware or any of the other rubbish (Still has MS games...less than happy about that).

The two annoyances were that the computer didn't come with a VGA socket and/or DVI cable, so had to buy an adapter (and the town I went to doesn't sell monitors, despite a dozen electrical stores). Then found that I had a DVI monitor, which was eyerolling. The second was that Mum took the external hard-drive with her, so I can't transfer everything over as easily as I would have liked.

But yes. Very new experiance this...The lack of making do. =P

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Win 7 is pretty damn near perfect for an OS, yes. It NEVER crashes, allows plenty of customization, and has all the features you could expect a computer to have natively apart from one; the ability to use multiple audio drivers at once.

There's only one thing about it that I find annoying and can't fix, the lack of an option to turn off the update popup. I don't like turning off my computer because I always have something running, and manually delaying the update every 4 hours gets tiresome after a while.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Fixed the skype Icon, and Wyvern advised me on the other issues.

As for crashing...Vista crashed 4-5 times in 3 years...One of which was caused by the hard drive dying. 98 died a few times (More due to the computer I was running it on was barely capable of running wordpad without crashing periodically), XP oddly died the most, if I recalled correctly, 95 crashed once in 8 years.

So I take 'OS doesn't die' as standard.

As to your update problem...You could set it to never check for updates and thus would never tell you you needed to update. It would just 'require' that you checked it every so often to avoid leaving your computer software out of date.

Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings

Mather, to be honest if you even tried fixing your Windows Update issue you should have been able to fix it, as literally any option except the default option for downloading and installing would fix your issue. (Assuming you aren't installing updates when you don't want to restart for a long time)

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Or like buying an umbrella and waiting until it starts raining before you use it.

Because the only reason I have to restart my computer now is to apply the updates, but I'd rather wait until I had a reason like when I'll be moving far north in a month or two, and will of course have to move the computer. (Note, I'm not actually moving, it's just for the duration of the school year, as I'd rather not have to travel 2,200km every day to get back and forth from school.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Your plan makes some sense, I will give you that.

But so would waiting until 1-5 hours before you left (or the [period of the day you sleep through] before you left) and downloading the updates then, ready to be shut down and restarted before and after the trip.

It would mean you didn't have the update reminder every four hours and...save for a cataclysm that leaves the internet destroyed, just after a vital update to prevent computers spontanously exploding, caused by an update/design fault from the last time you updated/brought a piece of defective hardware...I can't see how your current method provides any real benefit...save for not having to restart to clear the backlog, or having to set your update schedual to manual.

At the very worst case your internet fails while you are asleep and you download some updates after you arrive...

There are some things that will never grow old for me.

This, and the game it is tied to, is one of them.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Anyone here got experience with PHP?

I've suddenly started experiencing some problems with an HTML 5 player which I believe may be related to the way I've written some if requirements and such, but however I approach the problem, I still cannot seem to solve it.

[spoiler='The code]

<?
$vid = "[i]Domain[/i]/".ltrim(rtrim($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'], "vid.php"), "D:/New folder/xampp/htdocs").$_GET['vid'];
$file_type = explode('.', $_GET['vid']);
$file_suffix = $file_type[sizeof($file_type) -1];
$par = "'";
if ($file_suffix == "mp4"){
echo '
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(["_setAccount", "UA-29919308-1"]);
_gaq.push(["_trackPageview"]);

(function() {
var ga = document.createElement("script"); ga.type = "text/javascript"; ga.async = true;
ga.src = ("https:" == document.location.protocol ? "https://ssl" : "http://www") + ".google-analytics.com/ga.js";
var s = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();
</script>
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css" href="[i]Domain[/i]/leanbackPlayer.default.css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="[i]Domain[/i]/leanbackPlayer.pack.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="[i]Domain[/i]/leanbackPlayer.en.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="[i]Domain[/i]/leanbackPlayer.de.js"></script>
</head>
<body style="background-color:#111111;">
<center>
<div class="leanback-player-video">
<video width="640" height="360" preload="auto" controls>
<source src="',$vid,'" type=',$par,'video/mp4; codecs="avc1.42E01E, mp4a.40.2"',$par,' />
</video>
</div>
</center>
</body>';
}
if ($file_suffix == "txt"){
$vids = file($_GET['vid']);
echo'
<head>

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(["_setAccount", "UA-29919308-1"]);
_gaq.push(["_trackPageview"]);

(function() {
var ga = document.createElement("script"); ga.type = "text/javascript"; ga.async = true;
ga.src = ("https:" == document.location.protocol ? "https://ssl" : "http://www") + ".google-analytics.com/ga.js";
var s = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();
</script>
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css" href="[i]Domain[/i]/leanbackPlayer.default.css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="[i]Domain[/i]/leanbackPlayer.pack.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="[i]Domain[/i]/leanbackPlayer.en.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="[i]Domain[/i]/leanbackPlayer.de.js"></script>
</head>
<body style="background-color:#111111;">
<center>';
foreach ($vids as $index){
echo '<div class="leanback-player-video">
<video width="640" height="360" preload="auto" controls>
<source src="$index" type=',$par,'video/mp4; codecs="avc1.42E01E, mp4a.40.2"',$par,' />;
</video>
</div>
<br>-<br>';
}
echo'
</center>
</body>
}
<div class="g-plusone" data-size="tall" data-annotation="inline"></div>
(function() {
var po = document.createElement("script"); po.type = "text/javascript"; po.async = true;
po.src = "https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js";
var s = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);
})();
</script>';
}
?>

No, those "Domains" are not me failing epically, they denote my domain name.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

No one here happens to have Pokémon White, do they?

I'm closing in on finishing my Pokédex, and I'm going to have to borrow a Zekrom to do so.

EDIT: For the record my DS friend code is 1891 - 2348 - 6834 and my Pokémon Pal code is 0003 - 9920 - 2223.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I can too, but I don't have acess to the interwebs with my DS.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

No one here happens to have Pokémon White, do they?

I'm closing in on finishing my Pokédex, and I'm going to have to borrow a Zekrom to do so.

I can loan you one. Must check friend code though...

Thanks! I only have 8 more Pokémon left to catch before the Unova Pokédex is full, so I'm just about done.

You wouldn't also mind trading a Troh for my Sawk? I know it's possible to catch them here as well, but the 1/20th chance in rustling grass is annoyingly small in practice, especially when the other 19/20ths are Audinos.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Thanks! I only have 8 more Pokémon left to catch before the Unova Pokédex is full, so I'm just about done.

You wouldn't also mind trading a Troh for my Sawk? I know it's possible to catch them here as well, but the 1/20th chance in rustling grass is annoyingly small in practice, especially when the other 19/20ths are Audinos.

Just get me a list of what you need, I probably have them lying around.

Well, I'm missing Troh, Conkeldurr, Scrafty, Tirtouga, Caracosta, Lampent, Chandelure and Zekrom, but I'm in the process of evolving Scraggy and Litwick at the moment, and me and Lei are planning to trade Gurdurrs soon, and a Tirtouga from her against an Archen I've bred.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Eh, currently I'm replaying Pokemon Pearl with a pretty okay team. I've played White to death and I'm just realllyyyy tired f the nature stat boosters. My last go at it had me have an Emboar with something close to 70 strength at level 40+, and the level of fail extended to my entire team. Wasn't happy.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Never had a problem with natures, the stat difference is miniscule, and as long as they don't come from Rare Candies and Exp. Shares the stat increases from leveling up fills the stats enough to even prevent me from using boosters such as vitamins and wings at aøø.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

The natures [bleep]ed me over on the Elite Four. I managed to beat the gyms with my movesets, but the Elite Four wiped my team right out. I wouldn't have survived Ghestis, and probably wouldn't have gotten past N.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

The Elite Four are supposed to be a [bleep], even my Lvl. 100 Blaziken can't tank its way through them without requiring at least one Full Restore per trainer.

Just stock up on revives and full restores. And if you want a good tank for them, try Golurk, it can learn both Ghost, Fighting and Psychic moves, the combination of which grants you super effective against every one of them.

And another tip, don't underestimate STAB, that 50% boost can be immensely helpful, especially when it comes to defeating an opponent with a type advantage.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

The natures [bleep]ed me over on the Elite Four. I managed to beat the gyms with my movesets, but the Elite Four wiped my team right out. I wouldn't have survived Ghestis, and probably wouldn't have gotten past N.

Part of that is because Ghetsis is one of the few enemies that does have trained stats, and his Hydreigon is a monster at that point, especially compared to everything you've had to fight up to that point.

• Like 1