The Back Room

stevepole

Do any of you have an Xbox? Just curious.

I do. I think I still have Live, too, though I've wanted to cancel it for a few months.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Well I wish we all had Live and Castle Crashers, because then we could do a game of Castle Crashers as the Tavern.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Why not a free game such as Team Fortress?

Why not Pong? Its free too.

And several games are considerably better on consoles....Not to mention that you don't have to put up with terrible ports.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

I really don't think Castle Crashers would be the same on the PC. I like a lot of games that would port badly to the PC, and they trump a lot of games I've played on the PC.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

I'm not very skilled at these grand strategy games like civilisation and to be honest after playing all of the civilisation games it's more about 'cheating the system' (e.g building cities freakishly close together to maximise culture, adopting universal suffrage as fast as possible). I've just been playing civilisation IV for the last hour and combat is just painful in how random it is and how superior forces don't make pretty much any difference because we all know that everybody duels!

AOE games are so much better, combat is predictable but tactics still make a difference to the outcome. You normally are exclusively fighting against everybody so you don't have the rubbish AI. The only problem with AOE is that it's just a race, pretty much just first to advance to the third age (I haven't played in a bit, the one where you start using stone for buildings) wins. They'll have the highest military, the highest population and the most technology.

I'd like to see a fusion between the AOE games and the grand strategy, maybe just have the same mechanics for battle like civilisation but with options for creating unit groups (which I think was maybe added in AOEIII) but the building mechanics of civilisation, you would still need to use settlers to build things but the buildings would grow. Then sim-city style 3000 style land allocation and service management. I hear that total war and settlers is a little like this.

qTLQRuS.png

Why are you using a different text to everyone else?

Really, Civilisation isn't about either of those things unless you are playing a short game/going for a cultural victory/playing against someone else who is going for a cultural victory.

Naturally building cities spread across the globe with no link doesn't make a resiliant empire, but placing a city within 5 tiles, when 1 tile is approximately 100 miles, isn't freakishly close.

Culture is a really amazing system in CivIV, since it allows you to 'fight' without the innevitable death stacks...The Civ series' only downside, though was largely fixed in CivV (at the expense of everything else).

Seizing control of a city via culture is not an easy thing to do.

Universal Sufferage is desirable to some extent, but I have played multiple games with the Monarchy from discovery to victory screen.

Unit types are only one variable, and while it is true that you can't simply use 1 rifleman unit to conquer a planet full of savages...It is pretty much the same in real life. I mean, if you look at the British at the turn of last century, in South Africa, Machine Guns verses hoards of 'savages'. Or the Americans in Iraq at the moment. Gunpowder makes a large difference in the game, as does tanks. But most of the time you can't just run your slightly superiour troops into a fortress and expect to win.

I would recommend:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/fall-from-heaven-ii/downloads/fall-from-heaven-ii1

Or

http://www.moddb.com/mods/rise-of-mankind-a-new-dawn

Though ideally you would just play an epic/marathon length game. I mean, I am not terribly good at Strategy Games...I usually win by a tiny margin, but the games are very enjoyable.

Sim City 2000 and Populace were the games of my childhood. Probably says something that I can't make head nor tail of either in terms of strategy nowadays, I'm too used to simple point and click strategy, whereas they are made intricate by the complete lack of information provided. That's the sort of game I love, I just can't play them competently anymore.

Sort of funny, really. When I was three I could do and deal with anything in those games. I even could goomba stomp heavyweight enemies to death or shot them up with peashooters in the smallest mechs in Mechwarrior Vengeance and did high speed no-damage runs of Tyrian 2000. Everything seemed simpler then.

What was I talking about?

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Sim City (original) was great...went downhill from there, with Sim City 4 being all but unplayable and Sim City Societies ACTUALLY being unplayable.

Populous was ok, never held me though.

My first two games were CivNet and Gazillionaire

Why not a free game such as Team Fortress?

Why not Pong? Its free too.

And several games are considerably better on consoles....Not to mention that you don't have to put up with terrible ports.

Terrible ports? As far as I know, the only games that are ported to PC are emulators and ancient ones, most games you find for a computer were made for a computer.

And the only other form of ports there are are the ones you have to open to host a server, such as the ones I already have open for TF2.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Terrible ports? As far as I know, the only games that are ported to PC are emulators and ancient ones, most games you find for a computer were made for a computer.

La Noire? Assassin's Creed? (Neither are bad ports, for reference. Though AC2 gave the Console buttons, rather than the Keyboard control) Alpha Protocol? (Middling Port) Battlefield 3

Etc: http://www.gamasutra...ons_Go_Awry.php

Don't think AC and BF are ports, at least not from console to PC.

I'm not too sure about the company that made BF3, but Ubisoft is primarily a computer gaming company, having a long history of making games such as Age of Empires. They are also both vastly easier to play using a mouse and keyboard rather than a controller (because precision controlling with a joystick simply does not work), and for an optimal setup they both require more buttons than you can find on a controller.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Yeah. AC is a console game first and foremost, mate. Not for PC.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

AC2 was definately a port, and a lazy one at that.

To be honest I rarely play games outside of strategy games and, like you said, consoles rarely have enough buttons for it. But there are the exceptions when you are trying to play an action game or some such and you just get screwed over because the port was terrible, like AC2. Revelations was far improved.

One of the major boons Console gaming has verses PC gaming is that you put the game in and you 'Know' it is going to work. Where as PC Gaming has the habit of refusing to work because of propriatry drivers and other nonsense.

Unless Brotherhood too was improved, I for one prefer the PC version to the PS3. Using joysticks, the parkour is like trying to tie a sailor's knot on your fingers, and you simply can't use the crossbow to snipe someone who's out of range. Meanwhile on a computer, the parkour is just a simplified version of good old bunnyjumping, and sniping is as easy as tilting the camera to line up the enemy with the seam on your hood.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Regarding bad ports:

Play Dark Souls, then read the description of the Prepare to Die edition on Steam.

As it has yet to come out, I'm hoping it's just a bad translation.

In honesty, ports of just about anything based in or originally presented with a given media usually suffer in other forms of media. Of course, the most recent Transformers games, Batman games and movies, and the James Bond movies exist among others as notable exceptions to the rule, though I don't really have any examples for or against PC ports.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Unless Brotherhood too was improved, I for one prefer the PC version to the PS3. Using joysticks, the parkour is like trying to tie a sailor's knot on your fingers, and you simply can't use the crossbow to snipe someone who's out of range. Meanwhile on a computer, the parkour is just a simplified version of good old bunnyjumping, and sniping is as easy as tilting the camera to line up the enemy with the seam on your hood.

Wait a moment here. Joysticks? I'm fairly certain those are only used for flight simulators.

If you mean controllers... That's a matter of familiarity, and objectively speaking they are vastly simpler and more ergonomic. Obviously not everyone can just pick up and use one, especially if they're used to the keyboard and mouse controls, but for action games they can be at least as effective in proficient hands.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I love using the Controller over the mouse for games like Tf2, it's much more effective. I aim better, mostly.

Also, the Prepare to Die description looks fine to me.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Analog/Analogue Sticks are the more common term for them.

Thumb Sticks are less common.

http://en.wikipedia..../Analogue_stick

http://en.wikipedia....k#Arcade_sticks

On the joystick page:

Since the late 1990s, analog sticks (or thumbsticks, due to their being controlled by one's thumbs) have become standard on video game consoles and have the ability to indicate the stick's displacement from its neutral position. This means that the software does not have to keep track of the position or estimate the speed at which the controls are moved. These devices usually use a magnetic flux detector to determine the position of the stick.

There are rather large distinctions between an analog stick and a joystick, and while you could insist on using one form for both it would only be to the detriment of being communicable.

I would have to say that I am reasonably comfortable with analogue sticks, mouse, and light-gun control mechanisms for shooters (Assuming they are not poorly programed/designed/etc). Keyboards and Joysticks are more troublesome, though, for the most part, I have never met a system (Which allowed accurate shooting) that I couldn't hit 9 out of 10 headshots/equivilants on.

I love using the Controller over the mouse for games like Tf2, it's much more effective. I aim better, mostly.

Also, the Prepare to Die description looks fine to me.

Have you played Dark Souls though?

All the names and titles are wrong, they talk about game features that don't exist... I can only assume someone must've badly translated it from another language.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Doesn't matter that much when it comes to headshotting, you can use sweeping and timing the shot to omit the need for precision such as I usually do with the touchpad, but whenever you have to have the precision down to one or two pixels, you need a mouse. Same goes for whenever you have to turn fast, but accurate, where you'll have missed if you overshoot it and have to turn back.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Yuck, touchpad.

Really, there are no, NO, redeeming features to them. The only possible 'benefit' is that you can make them thinner than the average mouse/trackerball, and potentially cheaper...But at the cost of SO much else.

All the names and titles are wrong, they talk about game features that don't exist... I can only assume someone must've badly translated it from another language.

That's just Namco/Bandai. A few of the games that they've published recently have had the same problem... Including the console release of Dark Souls, until they patched it, and a number of Tales series games.

That's one of those games that I just can't imagine playing on a keyboard, and apparently FROM has even said that it would be best played on a controller.