The Back Room

stevepole

So...same control mechanism, same quality of graphics (or lower), somewhere between a DLC and an expansion pack's worth of new content...What's the point again of paying the 70 or so dollars they were asking for it?

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Archi,

The system makes sense but the game is centred more around learning the tactics rather than using your own tactical knowledge to win the game such as in the AOE games. The thought process in a strategy game, for me is more like 'Okay, I have XYZ stone but I am low on gold, I know that there is gold nearby but I think the enemy has got it. Okay, I will position a small force between the gold mine and their base. Slaughtering the villagers and guard and then building a fortress to prevent any attempts to reclaim the gold mine'

Whereas with the civilisation games are more about knowing what to do and tactics that are exclusive to the game instead of your own tactics. My thought process for the civilisation games is more like 'Right, all cities between 5-10 tiles of each other to maximise culture. Quick, rush the pyramids and get XYZ civic, quick discover polytheism/code of laws or the other early religious techs' and then the rest of the game is pretty much just being the first to get rifling, attacking the weaker nations and just waiting out till nukes.

The 1vs1 duelling system is just stupid now, of course gunpowder and tanks are better than axe-men and warriors but the civIV strategy is now just to have the weaker unit wait their turn and walk into the bullets in a neat line. Superior forces above 4-5 don't make any difference especially with the unbalanced defensive bonuses.

Will definitely try out the mods, I love the mods that have been included in the civilisation game.

The game of my childhood. At aged eight this was some really advanced maths.

qTLQRuS.png

Oh yeah, we were going to play some time and we never have. :)

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

'Okay, I have XYZ stone but I am low on gold, I know that there is gold nearby but I think the enemy has got it. Okay, I will position a small force between the gold mine and their base. Slaughtering the villagers and guard and then building a fortress to prevent any attempts to reclaim the gold mine'

You could just have the game constantly at war with everyone, but then you are playing a Tactical game, rather than strategic.

I pay very little attention to the distance between my cities, I just go and claim the resources that I need and build where I can to occupy most of the map. I am not overly concerned by small gaps in the network since I can culturally claim the cities that the enemy puts in them.

As to rushing the pyramids...It has never really been a major aim since my second game when I lost it by one turn. Same with Stonehenge, The Aposle's Palace, and so on. You can't win the game simply by building one wonder, you have to think about things.

As to the race for rifling...I have never had much interest in a protracted war that gains me nothing...Most of the time I play Islands, fight a war for supremacy if there are other people on the Island, and then expand onto the Islands that I need resources from. War is a very small part of my gameplay, since it is a blunt tool.

AOE isn't that much of a strategy game, primarily because you are innevitably playing a Skirmish between a set of Kingdoms...The entire game will either boil down to a string of minor battles approaching supremacy, or one big gamble which destroys the enemy so completely that you win.

So if you approach Civ with the same tactics as you approach AOE with you are innevitably going to have a hard time because you aren't constantly at war, the game isn't designed for constant war, and the computer will work together to take you down (sometimes).

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

No, I haven't played Dark Souls because I don't have any money and the fact that I'd have to have Gold to unlock a lot of the fun features post game ticks me off, Nex.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

No, I haven't played Dark Souls because I don't have any money and the fact that I'd have to have Gold to unlock a lot of the fun features post game ticks me off, Nex.

You could buy a PS3 :twss:

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Nope, there's this thing about no money, you can't buy stuff with it.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Ok, now I see the value of competitive Pokémon gaming, as I'm using the Wi-Fi train to get bps faster. Though nature still isn't important as I'm just raping my way through it with a trio of 2nd grade legends.

EDIT: Damnit, speed-[bleep] with all-out attacks.

I'll just go for the regular trains and just spam A until I've got a few hundred points.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

-1, :thumbdown:, Nexaduro dislikes this, unshared, Teewted

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Sounds like.. Fun.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Who's up for a vanilla Minecraft SMP server?

I'd do some mods to set up a somewhat proper setting, but I'm moving in 12 days and I'm most likely not going to be able to open a port from my condo, since the network there won't be mine and I'd rather not take any risks by attempting to hack the router.

Durr.

Who's up for a Minecraft SMP server with some basic mods?

If there's enough interest (say, three people) then I'm gonna find some mods to make living as a village somewhat interesting, and set up a Hamachi server.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Yeah, either gonna get a mod that prevents explosions from damaging blocks, or one that prevents mobs from entering certain areas. If I do the latter I'm probably also gonna look for the ability to disallow TNT in the same area, to prevent someone from getting a clever idea and go hunt creepers and collect sand.

Also if we do the latter, we could build up defenses and then deactivate the mod, so as to make the safety more relying on the players than to just encourage the "if I stay here and build all night, they can't get me" thought process.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I'll hop in. But mods are buggered until they update for 1.3, y'know.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

He's talking about the mods. But since we're using Bukkit (which to my knowledge hasn't updated yet), it doesn't matter if they have yet.

Ok, server's ready. The Hamachi server name is Falador Tavern, password is Tavern.

Looks like we'll have to wait until Bukkit catches up.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Takes more than a day to get the stuff fixed up.

Pardon, I need Hamachi to play the game? Alright.. I'll dick around with it tomorrow. It's late now. Tired.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Yo, Mather? Explain what I need tot do to get on the server you're running?

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Edit2: Alright, I got Hamachi after dodging crap installs. I joined the thing. But now what?

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

... Do i need to install bukkit?

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]