The Back Room

stevepole

I don't, though.

Most people don't take AP courses Sophomore year. =/

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Well you know America...Some people were getting higher than high, so they redesigned the system to allow them to get even higher...so people began getting higher as average...so they redesigned the system...

All of which would be good if the average wasn't moved up by people complaining that they were not getting the advantages that others got =P

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Huh?

All I could understand from that is that either the American school system is a stoner, or people got so high grades that they upped the requirements for the grades, which made even more people get high grades. And knowing the stereotypical American, the latter seems improbable. The first makes sense though.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

To put it simply, It ranges from 0 to 5, with 4 being the highest possible score that one can get without taking advanced courses (So, an A in standard English doesn't count for as much as an A in an IB English course). The number comes from averaging the grades in all of the student's classes (F = 0, D = 1, C = 2, B = 3, A = 4. Add 1 if an advanced course).

Our system over here doesn't quite translate into that system. To put it as it would be for tests:

1 = You wrote your name on the paper and handed it in. 2 = Were you drunk when you did this? 3 = You gave it a fair shot. 4 = You know the topic. 5 = You're good at the topic. 6 = You answered perfectly on every question/you know more than you should about the topic.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

If you imagine you and I are doing a set of tests.

I get 70% and you get 100%

However, you feel that you could get 120%, and your parents agree, so argue strongly that you can get 120% if you were allowed.

So the school, which is not governed by any centralised body, decides to allow some people to do special tests to get 120%, and they make up some jargon (5.0 GPA or whatever) that satisifies the parents.

I complain that I am not allowed to do the special tests, and so the school decides to give me an extra 20% to compensate.

The upshot?

The school when from achieving an average of 85% to achieving an average of 105%.

The Government is impressed and takes some money from the 'failing schools' (The ones with 85% averages, also the actually crap schools) and gives it to the 105% schools.

All of which leads to people who are not neccessarily smarter (though that does occur as a side benefit) but a great deal of people who are prone to take advantage of the system to give themselves an advantage.

To the detriment of others who may be working just as hard, if not more so.

But you know, free market education and all...Kids can always choose a better school, better state.........better country. :rolleyes:

I like our system here much better. All they look at is the percent average of your grade 12 Math, English and 2 other 'real' classes (i.e. Sciences, History, Band, etc.). Or if you want to skip first year university and go straight into your major, you need a certain mark in certain classes. For Engineering at the University near me, which is what I'm aiming for, you need an 85% average in your grade 12 Pre-Cal, Physics and Chemistry, with no class below 65%. Plus we don't have those SAT's, which seem hellish.

Just managed to fall asleep a heating panel (the kind used in schools that utilize hot water), it seems my hand is now halfway cooked.

[spoiler=Spoilered for large, not disturbing]Cooked.png

EDIT: Damnit, the loss of math and natural science has cost me, my average is down from 4.1 last semester to 3.9 this one. I've just got to hope this presentation will pull my Norwegian grades up for this semester, that there'll be less actual politics in political science, be more active in English class and get around going to the gym with Ouyso so I can do some cardio and get back my stamina for P.E.

Sort of ironic that the class I got 5 in was the one I've just been screwing around in, but that's where my natural aptitude for electronics and coding comes in, also my disrespect for anti-piracy laws.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Mather, you have really pale skin. Also, apparently, a bit of luck. Sounds like it could've been worse. :blink:

Speaking of turning red, I finally have feelings for someone in a way that doesn't strike me as inherently stupid. <3:

EDIT: No, Archi, before you ask; I still don't mean Mather.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

By that, do you mean that it could still be stupid, but not "ipso facto", "you're in a relationship, you're stupid, QED" kind of stupid?

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

By that, do you mean that it could still be stupid, but not "ipso facto", "you're in a relationship, you're stupid, QED" kind of stupid?

I still don't know what ipso facto or QED mean. TO WIKIPEDIA!

Okay that makes more sense now.

What I mean is; all of my previous crushes have been unfounded, shallow infatuations. This crush is still, my being a teenager, some degree of shallow, but we actually hang out together and enjoy each other's presence.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

No, I'm not that pale, that was just my phone's saturation being off. As you can remember I have often been talking about my tan, and the fact that it doesn't go away hasn't stopped being a thing.

The scar you can faintly make out as a brown line inside the red area is in fact a yellowish purple right now, about the same color as a really bad bruise.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Mather, you have really pale skin.

Aye, comparing my face to Mather's face(avaliable on his profile page) I am considerably more pale than he is.

Since I am not photogenic, here is a picture of my hand:

[hide]

Hand%2C%20for%20reference%20purposes.png

Watching Star Trek so go figure.[/hide]

No, Archi, before you ask; I still don't mean Mather.

I believe you؟

Archi, it was that thing before about The Drumming Song, you missed the Doctor Who references I was making and somehow thought I was talking about Mather.

It's been too long since I've been able to use Steam to chat, you must've become unused to interpreting blather in the interim.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Wait I'm confused, the way Nex says it means he's crushing on someone, the way Mather says it is that Nex is actually with a person.

Congratulations if you are

Go for it man! If you aren't

I find myself a bit ehhh with relationships currently. There are a few girls I have noticed who are very nice and I would definitely go out with, but either they have a boyfriend, they're not really close or been there done that.

I also find it's much easier to talk to girls online and seem to be much more confident online, god damn confidence really changes the way people see you.

By that I mean, I also don't have enough confidence in real life to ask any girl out.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

What I mean is; all of my previous crushes have been unfounded, shallow infatuations. This crush is still, my being a teenager, some degree of shallow, but we actually hang out together and enjoy each other's presence.

I'm at quite a different position, I'm desperate to give anyone a chance (as long as they're female and around my age) but I only actually care about personality, and the only girls I know well enough to fall for have already rejected me. So I'm stuck at wondering "who the [bleep] am I going to flirt with?", and the answer of course ends up being no one.

I've also got the confidence to ask someone out, but even if I were to find out who I'd ask out, I'm still socially retarded so I have no idea how one goes about dating.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Nonsense, we all know that you get around, Archi؟

RIP Dawngate ;-;

That was a terrible use of sarcasm and I apologize deeply.

Also, Mather, since when does hanging out with someone equal a relationship?

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Nex, in responce to your second point:

I hang out an enjoy the presence of many people.
but we actually hang out together and enjoy each other's presence.

Its quiet easy to subtly change the meaning of what both myself and your said, you just have to say certain words with emphasis.

And it was a good use of the Irony Mark, I smiled.

I still don't understand how it can be misconstrued...

Even trying to see that in the context of innuendo, it still just doesn't work.

EDIT: Also, you assume Mather reads between the lines rather than writing over them. :rolleyes:

RIP Dawngate ;-;