The Back Room

stevepole

I know for certain it wasn't Mbs, because then I would still be downloading updates now.

Also by professional programs they're almost always used correctly. Tools that download files use Bytes, tools for measuring network speed use bits.

And no, Cat5-cables are for up to 100 Mbs, Cat6-cables (the most modern network cables) however can handle up to 1000 Mbs, aka. Gigabit networks.

Just look here:

Network.png

Umm... You do realise that Steam just capitalizes the entire unit listing, as Megabytes per Siemen(electrical conductance) is an utterly useless unit measure (S is the unit symbol for Siemens, s is the unit symbol for Seconds) Its not very uncommon for Programmers to ignore the fine differences in unit labels, especially as Steam download times do not require scientific precision. Additionally nothing that tells you a connection speed is actually telling you the precise connection speed, instead its just giving a rough estimate (actually giving you precise speeds would slow your computer down, and the values would be utterly useless to a human user. For example Windows just reads which connection standard is being used and displays that rather than calculating anything).

Also something you obviously don't know: the Category of the cable doesn't actually mean anything with relation to the types of Ethernet it can carry(The category of the cable just means it meets a certain set of specifications for data cables), instead you want to look at the designation of the cable (not always marked on the cables) which is generally in the form xBASE-T where x is for identifing the speed of the Ethernet standard(100BASE-T is for Fast ethernet, and 1000BASE-T is Gigabit Ethernet. The actual transmission speed practically never ends up being exactly what is specified). Atleast currently Category 5 Ethernet cables have a maximum designation of 1000BASE-T, with 10000BASE-T requiring a minimum of Category 6 cable.

Unless you went out and specially purchased all of your networking equipment, your network will be operating on the Fast Ethernet standard rather than Gigabit ethernet even if the cable can handle Gigabit Ethernet (your network speed is restricted by the lowest Ethernet standard being used, which there is a fairly good chance that your gateway or router will only support Fast Ethernet unless you went out and purchased a gateway meant for commercial use)

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Our router is a Gigabit one, I know that for sure because we've been trading them in for a new one pretty much every third month due to our DNS unexplainably crapping out ever 24 hours. On my branch of the network there's also my 5 port 10/100 Megabit switch which I need due to the sheer number of computers in my room.

Also despite the floor beneath my desk being pretty much a tangled mess of network cables, most of which have a lot of specifications printed on them, none of them have any such value, probably because that is in fact not a specification, but a network type.

But yeah, my computer only has a 100 Megabit connection, the wireless however is in Gigabit (or rather a multitude of hundreds of Mbps) when you're near the router.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Well, that, as they say, is that. 178 Hours (slightly less because I skipped 5 shows I think, slightly more because of 7 half-disks of Documentary to go with it) of Star Trek watched.

Its a brilliant, though tremendously tiring experiance and I would strongly recommend that people watch it. :grin:

Actually parts of the Documentary reminded me of the Tavern at parts...Specifically this evening, where many of us came together to produce the Crossroads game, all (or many of us) chatting in the discussion channel, and even though we have different ways of playing the game, different characters we are trying to bring out, different agendas...we actually do work together to create the game.

I suppose the nicest thing this evening was that we really played a game.

We had Retech, Mather, Lei and Mask player their version.

Nex, Earth(Yes even though you weren't here I could imagine you being there) and Stork doing their part.

Ross and Ico playing their lone characters, without the grand scheme, just taking whatever the game threw at them.

All talking about their game without fighting over it.

I really think we have hit it right this time. :grin:

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

I concur, d'aaaaaww.

Also about the game. :thumbsup:

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I think I just broke time and space.

I went to bed at 04:00, expecting to not get enough sleep.

I spend forever trying to fall asleep.

Eventually wake up, fully rested.

Get clothes, make breakfast and lunch sluggishly.

Posting in Crossroads.

Phone alarm goes off, it's 05:00.

Can anyone explain how the [bleep] I managed to do that?

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Done that before.

Went to bed, convinced I fell asleep, woke up about 3 minutes later, it was still dark outside.

Opened the curtains, ignored that it was dark, got dressed, went downstairs, made breakfast, sat on the sofa and worried I was going to be late because no one else was up yet.

Eventually, five or twenty minutes later I realised that the minute had wasn't the hour hand and then went back to bed.

Also had the opposite where I slept for 26 hours and was tired at the end of it (after a reasonably stable sleep pattern)

I can only assume that our minds were too tired to register that we were tired...also maybe an indicator that our lives are too much on Autopilot =P

I don't think that was the case here, as I was actually fully rested, not just feeling that way (I was aware enough to figure something was wrong when my alarm rang). As for the autopilot, I tend to fall asleep on the bathroom floor occasionally, so I've gotten used to have to consciously bring myself to get dressed. Today was one of those days where this was necessary since I forgot what clothes I needed for a while.

Another thing it doesn't explain is how I suddenly had managed to squeeze the very slow act of falling asleep, as well as an hour's worth of morning routines into less than one hour.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Sleep dressing?

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I don't think that was the case here, as I was actually fully rested, not just feeling that way

Then you probably tricked your mind.

Kinda like how if I am up for a 26 hour day, it usually goes 12 hours of being awake, 4 hours of being tired, 10 hours of being awake.

If you can push through the 'I am tired' bits your body has a tendancy to give up trying to force you to sleep and start giving you energy again.

You could have also tricked your body through a power nap I guess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powernap

Another thing it doesn't explain is how I suddenly had managed to squeeze the very slow act of falling asleep, as well as an hour's worth of morning routines into less than one hour.

You didn't actually fall asleep, you just convinced yourself you did based on two things:

1) You felt tired to begin with

2) You felt awake at the end

3) You were trying to go to sleep

In terms of doing more than one hours work in less than one hour...I question the premise.

If you say 'It is more than one hours work' and then do it in less than one hour it tends to indicate that it isn't actually doesn't take as long as you initally thought.

Reminds me of Star Trek:

[hide]

Too%20tired.png[/hide]

When Dwarf Stars Collide - Scientists have reached the conclusion that at least some supernovas are caused by the collision of two dwarf stars. A Type 1a supernova was thought to be the result of a white dwarf star sucking gas off a companion star until the dwarf had reached a mass of 1.4 that of our sun. At this size, known as the Chandrasekhar limit, the star will collapse on itself initiating a huge explosion. If this were true, than the remnants of these supernovas should show companions stars. Finding a remnant close enough and recent enough to search for such a remaining companion was a difficult chore, but Bradley Schaefer and Ashley Pagnotta of Louisiana State University have found a remnant called SNR 0509-67.5 in the nearby Large Magellanic Cloud. A close analysis of the remaining bubble of gas shows no companion which favors a theory that Type 1a supernovas might also be caused when two white dwarfs collide. Understanding how Type 1a supernovas happen is important to scientists because they are considered "standard candles" that generate the same about of light no matter where they occur so they can be used to gauge distances. If Type 1a supernovas are not all the same this will be a real headache for astronomers.

Mwhahahaha

Scientists get it wrong again, would have been entertaining if we had sent out a spaceship to some distant location, only to find out that there was nothing there :thumbsup:

I'm back.

Welcome back to the Tavern :o

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png