The Back Room

stevepole

I wasn't wondering how I could stop blinking, that's just willpower. What I meant was how could my eyes stop being bloodshot when keeping them open for extended periods of time is a foolproof way to cause irritation?

The pain thing is the same as if you tried to put your foot behind your head...some discomfort while you are doing it, but once you get it there it isn't especially painful after a short while.

Its just the interrim bit where your body is going 'Hey, I forsee danger ahead'...the equivilant of a red light on the dashboard.

I assumed it was self evident that the pain and the bloodshotness could be used interchangably...

What with the whole 'It started as one thing, and then became something else' thing.

If you are wondering why your eyes were irritated, and then they were not, then three things:

1) Your survival instinct kicked in and you started blinking, together with your Norwegian Instict for ignoring the blindingly obvious in the hopes of being congratulated by others on your amazing skill.

2) You moved your eyes around, allowing fluid to permate across them/The excess fluid being produced because your body goes 'Hey, irritated eye, better wash that out', which then spread over the eye by the power of surface tension/, making it less irritated.

3) You are keeping your eyes very still, causing the irritants to settle. In the same way that if something very light lands on your arm and you don't neccessarily feel it. Cue 'But Archi, my massives muscles allow me to detect solitary atoms in objects that come within 50 feet of me, so I am totally unable to understand your metaphor and by the way by lack of bloodshot eyes is probably due to my drawing skills.'

(Ok, I am being fairly mean, but I am getting somewhat irritated by saying something and then people going 'Oh by Archi, that thing you said, you didn't say it.')

That's like a bruise disappearing because your body goes "Yeah, by now you ought to know you really should stop hitting yourself, so this isn't necessary anymore. Just stop the punching, or don't, whatever."

Maybe you should try punching yourself in the eye repeatedly to see if you can equate punching yourself in the arm to keeping your eyelids up...

Or you know, not draw meaningless paralles, since punching yourself in the arm is entirely different from opening your eyes, or from sticking your foot behind your head.

Reason? Punching yourself does damage to the blood vessels, causing them to rupture and leak. Putting your foot behind your head stretches(irritates) some muscles and doesn't damage you(unless you rip your muscles in the process....)

Keeping your eyes open irritates the blood vessels in your eyes, it doesn't cause them to rupture.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Pain and bloodshot eyes can't be used interchangeably, because one's an interpretation, and thus something you can get used to, the other is a visible condition.

Though the second part of suggestion 2 is likely, as my eyes are constantly watering thanks to my cold, though that doesn't explain why the feeling never kicked up again in between the floods.

Also eyes can get semi-permanently bloodshot from irritation alone. A guy in my class has a spot in his eye where some blood has collected from burst vessels... and, well I'm the only one in my class who's crazy enough to take up a fight if one was offered.

Oh, and btw: I don't advocate skills and traits I don't have, I'm not massive and I can't draw (I can sprite, but that's literally done one pixel at a time). There are only three things I claim to be truly gifted with; my skin pigments, my eyesight, and my IQ, and two former of those aren't even my fault, they're purely genetic.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Pain and bloodshot eyes can't be used interchangeably, because one's an interpretation, and thus something you can get used to, the other is a visible condition.

Sigh.

Pain is a responce in the brain to certain stimuli.

Bloodshot eyes are a responce in the eye to certain stimuli.

Yes, pain is a vastly complex thing because it is an abstraction generated by the mind in responce to stimulus, or in the absense of stimulus.

However that whole debate is vastly irrelevant because it doesn't matter if you are aware of your eyes being open for an excessive period or not (Evidenced by someone taping my eyes open while I was asleep, and me being perfectly fine in the morning for quite a while(about five minutes) before realising something was up, when I removed the tap and returned to blinking normally).

Though the second part of suggestion 2 is likely, as my eyes are constantly watering thanks to my cold, though that doesn't explain why the feeling never kicked up again.

Based on what period of time?

Getting your foot behind your head allows you to do it until you stop doing it, then after a while it becomes harder to do.

Basing an argument that it has 'never come back' on the evidence of a single day is bad science.

Also eyes can get semi-permanently bloodshot from irritation alone. A guy in my class has a spot in his eye where some blood has collected from burst vessels... and, well I'm the only one in my class who's crazy enough to take up a fight if one was offered.

Relevancy?

Unless he got semi-permanant (or temporary) bloodshot eyes from having his eyes open too long I fail to see the direct relevance.

From your crypic 'I was the only person who has the deficency in mental capacity to attempt to attack him' one can assume it was because you hit him...Though equally it could be that his eye is bloodshot so people are afraid of him, except you.

Ultimately though, it is almost certainly irrelevant...for the same reason that the medical responce to getting shot in the leg is not the same as getting a needle stick in the leg.

What I was saying with that was that as far as I know, I'm the only person in my class that's likely ever going to end up in a fight. If someone is insistent on being a pain in the ass to me, I will knock them out/make them scream/plead forgiveness or die/pass out/be left immobile trying. No one else in my class is liable to do so however. And what I mean by that is that there's pretty much no way that was inflicted by abuse, nor that any other person in my class other than myself are anyhow likely have any physical mark be inflicted by abuse unless they somehow find themselves being mugged.

As for the second point of yours: If you had only waited the five seconds it took me to edit that post you would have caught my exact meaning better.

And no, that first sentence there is not to be interpreted as "I'm badass, fear me.", I've just got nothing to lose except my only fear (by which I actually mean that it could stop my only fear from happening), and my attitude towards pain is (cue Soldier's voice:) "You piece of nothing, pleasant scum! I've had headaches that felt worse than you!".

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

We got here because we dare to fight what we don't care to stand, and because we could learn strategy. And I for one see that breaking one prick's jaw is an excellent strategy for intimidating potential pricks.

As evidence of my first claim, I present to you the fact that thanks to our sheep farmers, Norway has been free of wolves since... what, the 19th century? Not that that's a good thing though, we want the wolves back (the sheep farmers still disagree though).

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

We got here because we dare to fight what we don't care to stand, and because we could learn strategy. And I for one see that breaking one prick's jaw is an excellent strategy for intimidating potential pricks.

As evidence of my first claim, I present to you the fact that thanks to our sheep farmers, Norway has been free of wolves since... what, the 19th century? Not that that's a good thing though, we want the wolves back (the sheep farmers still disagree though).

Part of that intelligence is knowing when a fight isn't worth it. You break that prick's jaw and it might scare his friends, but it's more likely to make them angrier, and they're undoubtedly smart enough to know that they can take you as a group :razz:

As for the wolves, the same has been done in the States. The California flag has a grizzly bear, when they've been extinct in the state since the early 1900s (Wikipedia) and have a very small range within the United States. The same can be said for gray wolves in Yellowstone; After the population was removed, deer populations skyrocketed because of the lack of predators (Though they are being reintroduced).

All it really says is that we usually fight when we shouldn't, and that causes problems down the line... Like how punching one prick causes a herd of douchebags to fight back against you :grin:

I honestly don't think any group of people would take me on like that, I'm neither spindly enough to look like an easy target or big enough for it to seem fair, just the right physique for the risk of harm for them to outweigh the feeling of success in taking me down. And even if they still did, I wouldn't care if they broke my ribs or anything like that, because it's not like I care about my physical health as long as I stand up for something. Heck, I don't care if I'd need rehabilitation to walk again after it, because I have the will to cruise through that in record time.

I will always have the will to get through shit, because the only thing I fear is to die at old age after a lonely life.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Due to some issues here at home in America, I will be canceling Friday's (2-10-2012) session.

Life sucks. I'm just gonna suck it up and keep pressing forward and pray for the best. (damn it, I just realized that makes a movie referance. "Keep moving foward.")

Sometimes you have to fight back, it's not like we got to the food chain by running away every time something looked at us hungrily.

You know, I have to agree with Mather on this one...While I agree that Ross, Mask and myself got to the top of the food chain by running away everytime anything threatened to kill us...usually to find some other humans/animals to come back and kill whatever was threatening us...I would have to say that is not how Mather got to the top of the food chain.

Ergo we cannot say 'we' if it refers to the whole of humanity, since some people did get to the top of the food chain by taking bizzarely insane risk and having it pay off...How do we know that it did, because they survived.

Of course this argument ignores the fact that hundreds of people died because they took the bizzarely insane risk and it didn't pay off...but because they died a) No one knew they had taken the risk b) They were called an idiot and forgotten.

Hence why the internet created this: The Darwin Awards, awards for individuals who willingly sacrifice their own lives in pursuit of removing bad genes from the genepool...

For example, the man who believed he could stop trains with his thoughts, but only if he was in mortal danger of getting run over by a train:

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1994-14.html

If someone is insistent on being a pain in the ass to me, I will knock them out/make them scream/plead forgiveness or die/pass out/be left immobile

You have failed miserably.

Added to that

, over time, to be self defeating...Indeed this very argument proves it to be self defeating.

And what I mean by that is that there's pretty much no way that was inflicted by abuse, nor that any other person in my class other than myself are anyhow likely have any physical mark be inflicted by abuse unless they somehow find themselves being mugged.

So in our conversation about eye irritants you decided to argue that you know someone who had an irritated eye and on an unrelated topic you are the only person in your class capable of beating the rest of the class up?

Glad to see your argument is maintaining its coherance....

As for the second point of yours: If you had only waited the five seconds it took me to edit that post you would have caught my exact meaning better.

No...it still has no value.

You are basing your entire argument on 'This thing happened to me today and I can extrapolate that this is ALWAYS true'

I believe I more or less said that...

Basing an argument that it has 'never come back' on the evidence of a single day is bad science.

And no, that first sentence there is not to be interpreted as "I'm badass, fear me.", I've just got nothing to lose except my only fear (by which I actually mean that it could stop my only fear from happening), and my attitude towards pain is (cue Soldier's voice:) "You piece of nothing, pleasant scum! I've had headaches that felt worse than you!".

Yes yes yes, we have all heard about your amazing ability to overcome mild amounts of discomfort. The rest of us are all quivering because of a minor headcold but you, oh great one, who endures the perils of having your eyes open for too long, are superior to us in every way...

Its also blindingly irrelevant to the topic.

I think that is absolutely amazing...Norwegian sheep farmers, born in 1905, managed to travel back in time to clear Norway of wolves in a time when Norway didn't exist.

I do admit that they could be extremely long lived Norwegian sheep farmers from the 14th century...But I suspect the time travelling sheep farmer is more likely.

Or do you mean that Sweden and Norway joined in a concerted effor to eliminate the wolf population across Scandinavia? Because that is certainly true...Though typically they would be in hunting parties, using dogs, weapons of various types...and you know, were not hunted by the wolves in return...

Much less impressive though...Better to imagine a lone Norwegian, beard in one hand and a soup spoon in the other roaming the wilds of Norway, slaughting the concerted army of Wolves, which had declared war early the former spring and had burned Oslo to the ground because the Norwegians had forgotten how to be truely heroic. Indeed, without the single Norwegian capable of controlling the power of strategy and the ability to stand up against the EEoWAN (Evil Empire of Wolves Against Norwegians) all of humanity would now be under the fur encrusted paw of the wolves. Oh woe, woe is us.

I reiterate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNmJqRV7LOA

Quick, break Gandhi's jaw, that will stop him.

It was extremely fortunate that Mather was on hand or South Africa could have been lost to the South Africans, instead of remaining part of the British Empire.

On the flip side of that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation

But hey, the Norwegian Empire is proof that you are right....Spanning the globe in the [error, century not found].

You know, sometimes it seems you want to prolong the discussion for the sole purpose of being annoying.

Yes, I said that I am the only one in my class liable to get in a fight, because just saying that guy never would or that he didn't get it from a fight would simply be dull and flavorless.

Yes, I did extend upon that by explaining why I am in fact very liable to get in a fight.

No, I did not say that I am liable to attack anyone in my class.

Yes, I did say I'm likely to punch someone in the face for being an ass.

Yes, I did say that I wouldn't give a shit if I broke something doing that.

No, I did not say I'm likely to punch someone in the face for being annoying and/or in my way.

No, I did not say staring for a long time is anyhow a test of pain tolerance.

No, I did not say people with a citizenship in the nation of Norway with it's current constitution killed the wolves, Norway is older than 107 years, it's just that we have been in and out of Swedish and Danish control a few times during our existence.

No, I did not say my eyes will never be irritated again.

Yes, I did say that it never flared up again, in the past tense.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

You know, sometimes it seems you want to prolong the discussion for the sole purpose of being annoying.

In the fight against ignorance people are often accused of that.

You see, unlike you, with your killing, mutilating and generally might is right attitude, I use the magical power of inquiry, rational though and wit to come to conclusions.

My arguments rest on solid scientific, empirical evidence or inductive reasoning, clearly signposted, where I cannot be sure of my conclusions. Your arguments rest on purely dogma and weak inductive reasoning based primarily on your own limited experiance of the world.

I would also like to point out that, if it was put to a vote, on who was being annoying, I somewhat doubt that I would be the one people said was being annoying.

Though naturally a vote would give us only a limited sample, and given that we are both, to some degree, being annoying, it would be a matter of speculation on abstraction, rather than grounded conclusions.

Though arguably since annoyance is an abstraction which is built on speculation (aka we find things annoying because our experiance tells us that things like those things are annoying) it all cancels out.

Personally it is all rather irrelevant. One of us will eventually give up for one reason or another and the other person will claim to have won.*

Yes, I said that I am the only one in my class liable to get in a fight, because just saying that guy never would or that he didn't get it from a fight would simply be dull and flavorless.

Also irrelevant, but that happened anyway.

I had knew someone who had had a piece of glass lodge in his eye, he then had it removed, leaving behind a permenantly bloody spot. A bloody spot had formed from the irritation and THE bloody spot had formed from the surgery.

I didn't feel the need to also tell you that he had ginger hair, even though it would have made the statement less dull and flavourless.

1)
Yes, I did say I'm likely to punch someone in the face for being an ass.

Yes, I did say that I wouldn't give a shit if I broke something doing that.

No, I did not say I'm likely to punch someone in the face for being annoying and/or in my way.

If someone is insistent on being a pain in the ass to me, I will knock them out/make them scream/plead forgiveness or die/pass out/be left immobile trying.

2)

No, I did not say staring for a long time is anyhow a test of pain tolerance.
I wasn't wondering how I could stop blinking, that's just willpower.

You know, sometimes it seems you want to prolong the discussion for the sole purpose of being contradictory.

No, I did not say people with a citizenship in the nation of Norway with it's current constitution killed the wolves, Norway is older than 107 years, it's just that we have been in and out of Swedish and Danish control a few times during our existence.

You lost independance in 1319 and regained it in 1905, that is more than five hundred years.

There are countries (USA for instance) which are younger than your country was in servitude.

Your argument, however, was that Norwegian Sheep Farmers killed wolves. Which is a meaningless argument since Wolves and humans have lived side by side for the better part of 50 millenia, just because a bunch of people, armoured, trained and armed, were able to kill an animal which has not really developed in all that time, don't exactly show how amazingly powerful Humans are.

If anything is shows how poweful wolves are in comparision to sheep farmers...

No, I did not say my eyes will never be irritated again.

Yes, I did say that it never flared up again, in the past tense.

This argument reads like:

'I opened the door and now it has never closed.'

'Oh, is it broken?'

'I never said it was broken.'

'So why won't it close.'

'I didn't say it won't close, I said it never closed in the past, since I opened it.'

You see, there is this thing called language...it exists to make sure people can be understood by other people...When you start using words which don't mean what you mean to describe the things you want to mean then other people are unable to decrypt your meaning.

* Actually reminds me of a card game someone designed:

There are 2 types of cards: Arguements and Rebuttals

You may play any card to counter any other card played, but arguments may also be played without anything already being played as an attack against the other player.

The first player to successfully hit their opponent with an arguement wins.

On each player's turn both players draw a card.

Each player may only play 7 cards per turn or lose the game instantly.

Okaaay then. I think that's enough you two.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

Quite so.

On an unrelated note my Britain and Ireland lecturer said something I thought was relatively entertaining today:

Basically, Benjamin Disraeli was responding to the question "What is the difference between a disaster and a tragedy?"

To which he responded "A disaster would be if Mr Gladstone fell into the River Thames... A tragedy would be if someone pulled him out." :grin:

Finally had a good night last night (minus the ex-boyfriend stalkers). Got to dance, eat chocolate and smile. I could go into further detail, but... :D I'm just gonna keep it to myself :P

Oh, how does one get rid of two stalkers? (I'm not bulls**ting. I've got two stalkers)

Finally had a good night last night (minus the ex-boyfriend stalkers). Got to dance, eat chocolate and smile. I could go into further detail, but... :D I'm just gonna keep it to myself :P

Oh, how does one get rid of two stalkers? (I'm not bulls**ting. I've got two stalkers)

This isn't the place.

qTLQRuS.png