This "free trial"

Arceus

The free trial did little to coax players into becoming P2P, especially because you had to pay for it and hope for a refund if you wanted your money back. This is a more genuine type of free trial. You also shouldn't forget the advertisement revenue, which exceeds $2 million a year. With the substantial amount I play, my share of that was (before the price update) roughly five months of membership per calendar year.

But you have to include server and development costs here. The last info we got from Jagex(though admittedly this was years ago) was that F2P barely covers their server costs for it so makes little to no profit.

As for this destroying "pure F2P" - first of all, as said the tutorial is completely optional. Besides, pure F2Pers give Jagex next to no money, so it's no big surprise that they don't really care about that. In economic terms F2P still has its use for Jagex, because it keeps players who have decided to let their membership lapse a connection to the game which makes resubscribing more likely. But you shouldn't really expect them to cater a lot to F2P.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you can't disagree with the fact that their current view on f2p is the complete opposite of the one the Gower brothers had and which made this game so grand. It's once again an investor's move to milk as much money out of this game, without looking at the future AND by forgetting the heritage this game had for about 9 years. For the old core of the Jagex developers, f2p and p2p are worth the same (despite the lack of updates for f2p, but that's because they don't pay, and the true f2per has no problem with that).

But you can't disagree with the fact that their current view on f2p is the complete opposite of the one the Gower brothers had and which made this game so grand. It's once again an investor's move to milk as much money out of this game, without looking at the future AND by forgetting the heritage this game had for about 9 years. For the old core of the Jagex developers, f2p and p2p are worth the same (despite the lack of updates for f2p, but that's because they don't pay, and the true f2per has no problem with that).

I don't think you can say it's without looking at the future. I actually believe this model works better than the current one. The point about heritage is true, but I think Jagex has simply outgrown the times when it was just about the game and the players (Like *every* game company does, it's a natural progress)

This model definitely works by the way. I've been on the edge on making a new p2p pure but this trial has helped me decide to do it, and I'll surely remain member on the pure until I'm bored of the account entirely (Although i guess Jagex is technically losing money. As theres no way I'm paying for my main's membership during the start up period of the pure.)

CNqWHdA.jpg

Still don't understand the problem, it is optional isn't it?

What is the real problem people are arguing about? The new treatment of ftp compared to past years?

I feel like pure ftpers don't go to p2p because in the ftp world they are considered "good" and once they become members they'll realize there really not that different from the next guy.

But hey that's just me. I'd love to discuss this further.

With this update, Jagex is declaring war with every F2p'er.

This update is even worst than the hiscores removal imo, now, every new account has to go through a new tutorial which gives p2p skills exps, which means there will be no more option to have a pure f2p account.

With this update, Jagex removes the complete future of F2p, it will take a few years before the lasts f2p'ers quit because of the many anti-f2p updates Jagex will continue to do, and then Runescape, the "Best MMO Free To Play multiplayer game" will be totally p2p.

This is all about my pure F2p rant.

-Med-

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Eventually you need to come to the understanding that Jagex is a company. Pure free to players are only here to bolster the number of registered users that keeps Jagex on the Guinness Book of World Records every year and keeps the free servers populated, and to contribute to the economy. Otherwise, they don't want to see you, they don't want to hear from you. Every time Jagex does anything to promote members, the free to play community reacts like a group of entitled children, and then turn around and wonder why this game's community is regarded as so immature.

The Jagex of today is not the same as the Jagex of old, and its not because Andrew Gower was some wise sage. The Jagex of old had terrible business insight, straying from the norm not because of a desire to be different but a lack of insight and limitations of the engine. If I had to choose between the current Jagex and the Jagex that preached community love with one hand while banning anyone who mentions a fan site with the other, or the Jagex that thought what free players really wanted was a gnome copter ride to see fake members areas over the one that offers a real taste, the Jagex that does jack shit about bots until the game literally reaches its breaking point, and the Jagex that never talked to its community, I will take the new Jagex. If Jagex needs investors beating them over the head to make progress and get in line with the rest of the MMO genre, so be it.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

How exactly do you activate this by the way? Or is it already gone?

I made a new account specifically to take advantage of it but no emails :(

Not everyone seems to get it, we are not sure how this is determined

Maybe it's something to do with IP. I'm gonna try making another account through a proxy just to see what happens. (I'm already dedicated to my awesome pures new name :/)

CNqWHdA.jpg

Unless you have some tricks up your sleeve, whenever I tried playing through one of those free proxies, I was unable to load the game applet, let alone play. Perhaps my friend could go on another IP and attempt it, though.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Unless you have some tricks up your sleeve, whenever I tried playing through one of those free proxies, I was unable to load the game applet, let alone play. Perhaps my friend could go on another IP and attempt it, though.

Ahh, i didn't mean proxy. I mean VPN. RaptorVPN to be precise, works great as it uses your own software such as Javaplayer so that isn't an issue, although it's considerably slower and i wouldn't use it for actual Runescape.

Anyway. Made a new account using an American IP. Didn't get an email.

So my initial one was my regular British IP (that's known to be used with my main accounts..) and the other was a random American one. Yahoo mail and Hotmail. Neither worked.

Only conclusion i can come to is that it's either not working at all currently, it only works for a set % of people or it only works for Brits that don't already have an account.

I don't care enough to bother finding an English IP VPN.

Edit: There were a TON of level 3s there though. Either the bots are back (I havn't been paying attention) or they're all after the trial too.

Edit edit: I signed up for the newsletters and stuff on both of them too.

CNqWHdA.jpg

How exactly do you activate this by the way? Or is it already gone?

I made a new account specifically to take advantage of it but no emails :(

Not everyone seems to get it, we are not sure how this is determined

Maybe it's something to do with IP. I'm gonna try making another account through a proxy just to see what happens. (I'm already dedicated to my awesome pures new name :/)

It could be IP-based, but which IPs do they take? There are people who already have membership who were able to get this, and there were two people from canada, one who got it and one who didn't. If it's not based on membership on another account, and not on country, on what else?

Has there been any post on the RSOF about this?

Maybe it's something like the Katana offer?

Only by normal players, not by Jmods.

Not sure what you mean by "like the Katana offer". It's not limited to a certain payment method, because you get it from the start. It also doesn't seem to depend on countries, seeing as e.g. there were 2 peeps from canada on this thread, one who got the trial and one who didn't.

The only thing I can think of is that they do not make this available for people who already have a membership account, yet they must have some other means besides IP to check that, and I wouldn't know which means that would be... :unsure:

i tried making one with fresh email address but no luck....also tried making one using remote desktop to my server that never had entered to rs but that java shit site dont load through remote interface.

could it be possible that those trials are handed randomly or did someone manage to make more than one trial account in a row?

but my best guess is that you need pc that is clean from past rs history, ip that is not played rs before, fresh email that is not attached to any other rs account.

I didn't realize Water had gone/was going P2P. That's another one gone.

Well, there's only so much a maxed F2P player can do. I guess Water decided it was time to move on.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...