This "free trial"

Arceus

Is that even possible?

As for the trial itself, no big surprise really, and I think it's a good step.

Now that you mention it, I suppose not. :P

I haven't created an account in... ummm.... 5+ years so I forgot that email addresses are actually important now.

Flyingjj.png

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Created a whole new email account and registered a new account. No free trial. Is this limited by geographic region maybe?

Would be strange, considering that it's not dependant on payment options, which is really the only reason I could think of why you would limited to certain countries.

Created a whole new email account and registered a new account. No free trial. Is this limited by geographic region maybe?

Would be strange, considering that it's not dependant on payment options, which is really the only reason I could think of why you would limited to certain countries.

Well if there is a free trial. I am not getting it. <_<

slobdf.jpg

Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, evil Zoot!

Oh, she is a naughty person, and she must pay the penalty!

Could they possibly be tracking the IP of the accounts? If on a members or even a long-time F2p account they have your last IP registered and you create a new account with that, I could see them stopping the trial. Would possibly be there toreduce RWT and botting accounts being mass created.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

*Confusion*

As soon as you register an account it receives a free trial membership? Or is it like that time where they offered the trial to anyone who hasn't become a Member but you'd still need to give Credit card information, I'll try it myself but Runescape seems to be offline now.

I assume the RWT possibility wouldn't be a deterrent since the new accounts (presumably?) have the 25k giveaway limit.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

*Confusion*

As soon as you register an account it receives a free trial membership? Or is it like that time where they offered the trial to anyone who hasn't become a Member but you'd still need to give Credit card information, I'll try it myself but Runescape seems to be offline now.

no credit card information was needed

and the trial worked for me and i live in canada and i don't have a p2p account :s really wonder why it works for some people but not others

For the record, I live in the UK. So that is a possibility I guess. :) After I signed up I was sent an email immediately to activate the free trial, and now every time I sign in I'm asked whether I would like to upgrade to a member's account or continue with the trial.

I think this will definitely bring in more member accounts in the long run, the issue to solve though is to get new players signing up in the first place. (Welcome Spimuncular :))

Thankew! :D <3

For the record, I live in the UK. So that is a possibility I guess. :) After I signed up I was sent an email immediately to activate the free trial, and now every time I sign in I'm asked whether I would like to upgrade to a member's account or continue with the trial.

I think this will definitely bring in more member accounts in the long run, the issue to solve though is to get new players signing up in the first place. (Welcome Spimuncular :))

Thankew! :D <3

Wow, a new player to RuneScape? I can honestly say, I haven't personally seen one in a long, long time. Being a member and rarely frequenting F2P, only using certain chats, means it's normally only experience players I meet. So it's nice to see a new face!

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Wow, a new player to RuneScape? I can honestly say, I haven't personally seen one in a long, long time. Being a member and rarely frequenting F2P, only using certain chats, means it's normally only experience players I meet. So it's nice to see a new face!

Thanks for your kind words. :) I personally like that the people around me are all more experienced than I am; it means I am always able to get solid advice if needed (Without being too annoying, I hope ) and gives me motivation to succeed and catch up with everyone else despite their massive head-start.

But to someone who has put so much time and devotion into Runescape, I can see why a lack of new players would be disconcerting. All I can say is that I intend to stick around for a good while, and if I'm here what more do you need? ;)

With this update, Jagex is declaring war with every F2p'er.

This update is even worst than the hiscores removal imo, now, every new account has to go through a new tutorial which gives p2p skills exps, which means there will be no more option to have a pure f2p account.

With this update, Jagex removes the complete future of F2p, it will take a few years before the lasts f2p'ers quit because of the many anti-f2p updates Jagex will continue to do, and then Runescape, the "Best MMO Free To Play multiplayer game" will be totally p2p.

This is all about my pure F2p rant.

-Med-

Medaragon.png

This update is even worst than the hiscores removal imo, now, every new account has to go through a new tutorial which gives p2p skills exps, which means there will be no more option to have a pure f2p account.

With this update, Jagex removes the complete future of F2p, it will take a few years before the lasts f2p'ers quit because of the many anti-f2p updates Jagex will continue to do, and then Runescape, the "Best MMO Free To Play multiplayer game" will be totally p2p.

-Med-

The p2p tutorial is completely optional.

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

-Med-

Anyone with a trace of insight into the mind of a new player would realize that a tutorial involving fighting trolls and whatnot would not be passed up. And those players, even if they did not opt to go P2P, would think "5 Thieving? Doesn't matter" and continue playing.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

-Med-

Anyone with a trace of insight into the mind of a new player would realize that a tutorial involving fighting trolls and whatnot would not be passed up. And those players, even if they did not opt to go P2P, would think "5 Thieving? Doesn't matter" and continue playing.

You underestimate the average person's need to completely ignore tutorials. Why do you think you run into so many new players who ask obvious questions that are already covered in the tutorial?

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

Too bad this member free trial totally messes up the graphs that have been tracking membership.

Where are those graphs located at?

*Ahem*

http://open.tip.it/high-score-stats

little off topic but what is with the 2 major membership drops

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Well yeah it's understood that some players want to hoof it on their own much like those people who throw out instructions to something to build it themselves because it adds to the experience. Those players desire to discover their own methods of mastering aspects of the game and learning the lore by themselves. There are also players out there who are subconsciously hesitant to devote themselves to the game and that's when the storyline driven tutorial shines best by showing them this game has depth and an intense amount of content when their doubts are screaming "boooring."

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

"pure f2p" players don't make Jagex any money. Thumbs up for this update to incentivise new players to come on board to p2p worlds.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The free trial did little to coax players into becoming P2P, especially because you had to pay for it and hope for a refund if you wanted your money back. This is a more genuine type of free trial. You also shouldn't forget the advertisement revenue, which exceeds $2 million a year. With the substantial amount I play, my share of that was (before the price update) roughly five months of membership per calendar year.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png