This "free trial"

Arceus

I have ascertained from a friend that new accounts are given free (limited) membership for 14 days. One such limitation is 300 of a stackable members-only item. What implications do you think this will have (aside from no new pure free players)?

Some existing accounts now seem to have the trial offered to them. See the last page.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proof = ?

A search of the forums or otherwise with relevant keywords should yield sufficient proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Well, I started playing yesterday and thus received the effects of this free trial. If I had not been given access to the p2p content I would perhaps have waited a few months before subscribing, but as it is I will most likely find myself paying in 14 days when the trial expires. My member's only skills have already advanced beyond level 10, and being unable to advance them farther would be extremely frustrating for me.

If I do not pay, I will now know what I am missing. :P I am particularly enjoying fletching and thieving, and would not like those two skills to be rendered unusable for the next few months while my bank simply remains cluttered with member's items.

So I suppose this makes me living proof that the trial is clearly having its intended effect. :)

I'll take the leap of faith and assume, for the sake of argument, that there is indeed a free trial. There's evidence to suggest that it's true. (This also explains the swell of accounts in the HS that are lower than level 30 in some skills, or the fact that the Membership "count" has exceeded 750K.)

The only issue I see - with this new promotion, Jagex is admitting that their F2P content isn't as good as they claimed, and is taking a more proactive approach to advertise Members. The main thing I see is that it doesn't change anything, or fix any "problems" with the F2P content.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

yeah i just decided the other day "hey let's make a new account and raise all skills to level 10 for shits and giggles" and i saw this but i didn't know it was new

doesn't surprise me one bit though

the new tutorial is awful and boring and i quit partway through it :/

I'm not surprised, but this is definitely a step in the right direction. I don't have a lot of faith in their past efforts with the gnome glider and the mercenaries though the mercenaries do give a nice glimpse.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

yeah i just decided the other day "hey let's make a new account and raise all skills to level 10 for shits and giggles" and i saw this but i didn't know it was new

doesn't surprise me one bit though

the new tutorial is awful and boring and i quit partway through it :/

If I put myself in the mindset of a new player, the tutorial seems to be pretty good. You're not forced to go through it like it was with tutorial island, you can come back to it as you feel like it, and I like the different characters. This decision to allow a 2 week member trial seems sound. Member items won't count against a player's bank if they decide not to commit, yet the items are there waiting along with at least level 10 skills should the decide to go with it later.

Too bad this member free trial totally messes up the graphs that have been tracking membership. Now it's impossible to tell which are there for only the two weeks and which are staying.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

in your face all those telling me it would never happen on that other thread we had a while back :D (just had to say that =P)

think this is a nice approach to getting more members/players to runescape :)

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile

^+1

So they have created a nice little bridge to go from F2p to P2p...

But who on earth would these days actually start playing RuneScape from scratch as a person that is completely new to the game?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Too bad this member free trial totally messes up the graphs that have been tracking membership.

Where are those graphs located at?

*Ahem*

http://open.tip.it/high-score-stats

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Oh nice. Well need to check my New accounts then.

Level 99 Skills 28/28 200M exp Skills 6/28
Going for 200M All Skills. [qfc]48-49-837-63099395[/qfc]

@Matt258RS Twitch: Matt258RS

Whatpulse
My Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

On 12/23/2011 at 4:39 PM, 'Jebrim' said:

But don't even begin to think that I think I'm better than you all simply because I've done 7.6k+ hours of Agility or because I have tens of thousands of fans.

It is an interesting way to try and bring new players into automatically paying for Runescape. It's like they give you a taste and then take it away and say you have to pay for it. Rather than the old model where you're given a version that is full in its own standards, why venture elsewhere? I think this will definitely bring in more member accounts in the long run, the issue to solve though is to get new players signing up in the first place. (Welcome Spimuncular :))

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

... Hate they way they're making it sound like f2p doesn't even exist... You get a free trial but a paid game! But then again let's not forget to brag about how rs is the number 1 free mmo (years ago).

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg