This "free trial"

Arceus

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's actually sickening how keen you F2Pers are on pure F2Ping. I don't loathe your experiences in F2P, but you guys seem to think that one xp in P2P ruins the character. Why are you so hell bent on being pure F2P?

You're sickened because I'm so keen to play RuneScape the way I enjoy the most? You're basically insulting every player which has ever created a pure account. Do level 3 skillers and other pure accounts sicken you as well or is just me?

No, a small amount of p2p experience does not 'ruin' an account. I never said it did. A pure f2p clan, like the majority of others, has precise requirements. Requirements should be something all members are consistent with. So having a requirement of being "free from membership" and then accepting people with 7 agility, 9 fletching and 4 thieving is an obvious inconsistency.

If you were the leader of a level 3 skilling clan which was been around for years and Jagex released a new compulsory tutorial which required combat to complete, raising the minimum combat level to 5.. Would you at least feel a glimpse of sadness knowing that accounts like yours (as a level 3) will no longer exist, forcing your clan to change their longstanding requirements which led them to becoming such a successful community from the start?

We should have complete control over how we play the game and our plans for our accounts in the future, something Jagex is taking away from us as soon as we create it. Why don't you think about that next time you choose to launch another personal attack.

Possum39.png

It's back. The 14-day free membership trial period for new accounts is back. :thumbdown:

[spoiler=E-mail Validation message after registering an account]ztu3r8.jpg

[spoiler=E-mail I received from Jagex]3149mwm.png

[spoiler=Trial Activation]3449gqs.png

[spoiler=Starting location in-game screenshot]5odqc9.png

As you can see, there is no option to ignore this free trial. You MUST activate this trial period to log in and play.

This trial period, if implemented long-term, can have a devastating effect on Pure F2P clans. With no more 100% f2p accounts created, it will potentially destroy the future of such clans. Even if most of you don't see the harm in non-optional free membership, there are hundreds of others crossing our fingers and hoping Jagex doesn't discontinue our future.

No you don't. It asks if you wish to start the trial and there is a 'No.' option.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Pure F2P clans fascinate me, watching a section of the community shout out about how they have absolutely no intention of paying (and are immature to the point where they find a concept as simple as a members trial to be personally insulting and degrading), and then wonder why Jagex doesn't factor them in when it comes to updates.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

ranting about free stuff. I could understand if you where p2p and jagex handed out free p2p , but i can not understand the rant from f2p perspective.

Good thing they are bringing it back agen, ppl wanting p2p straight away is not a bad thing, f2p can only hold that much being financed by adds, p2p is truly the world i have fallen for, and stayed for.

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile

Okay. This goes too far. I don't mind free trials, but I also like opting out of anything I wouldn't want to be a part of.

I think it's actually sickening how keen you F2Pers are on pure F2Ping. I don't loathe your experiences in F2P, but you guys seem to think that one xp in P2P ruins the character. Why are you so hell bent on being pure F2P?

There's nothing wrong with being pure F2P now, especially in a time in which F2P is being slowly phased out. If this is the way they want to play/enjoy the game, don't despise it.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

You're sickened because I'm so keen to play RuneScape the way I enjoy the most? You're basically insulting every player which has ever created a pure account. Do level 3 skillers and other pure accounts sicken you as well or is just me? 

No, a small amount of p2p experience does not 'ruin' an account. I never said it did. A pure f2p clan, like the majority of others, has precise requirements. Requirements should be something all members are consistent with. So having a requirement of being "free from membership" and then accepting people with 7 agility, 9 fletching and 4 thieving is an obvious inconsistency.

If you were the leader of a level 3 skilling clan which was been around for years and Jagex released a new compulsory tutorial which required combat to complete, raising the minimum combat level to 5.. Would you at least feel a glimpse of sadness knowing that accounts like yours (as a level 3) will no longer exist, forcing your clan to change their longstanding requirements which led them to becoming such a successful community from the start?

We should have complete control over how we play the game and our plans for our accounts in the future, something Jagex is taking away from us as soon as we create it. Why don't you think about that next time you choose to launch another personal attack.

I understand your choice and respect it. If you never want to go members, it's completely fine to me. I hold great respect to some F2P'ers out there. But they are not forcing you to train the member skills, and I think over 98% of players don't mind the few levels in member skills. If they find two weeks after playing that there are pure f2p clans and they want to join it, they can reroll a pure f2p character.

What I don't understand is the fact that you spit on Jagex for giving a free sample of P2P to the players. I had two friends subscribe because of the offer, and many other MMORPGs use the same system. Most people have really liked the trial, at least the ones I've spoken to.

Also, I have a 9hp account. They can't be made anymore. Should I be angry at Jagex because I am one of the few characters that has 9hp? No, I'm proud about it. And seeing as the whole membership thingy is completely optional, I fail to see why u so mad.

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

I find this whole doctrine pretty funny, myself. A few years ago, the JMods proclaimed that nothing in the F2P world is supposed to be a lure for P2P - they've even removed all the objects and click options that are members-only from the free worlds. Now they've undone all that, and more.

I don't understand what problem you have with Jagex doing something that might not encourage people to make pure f2p accounts.

Jagex don't want pure f2p. I imagine that somewhere at the top, people are thinking , huh, how the hell did this happen where people take pride in not paying? That's not a good business strategy, so we should probably make membership seem appealing in non-intrusive ways (like offering a free trial, that'll be liked) and maybe phasing out some f2p content only pure f2p would really use, like the hiscores.

I'm not an efficienado.

I don't understand what problem you have with Jagex doing something that might not encourage people to make pure f2p accounts.

Jagex don't want pure f2p. I imagine that somewhere at the top, people are thinking , huh, how the hell did this happen where people take pride in not paying? That's not a good business strategy, so we should probably make membership seem appealing in non-intrusive ways (like offering a free trial, that'll be liked) and maybe phasing out some f2p content only pure f2p would really use, like the hiscores.

It's a bad thing for players to take pride in a totally free game, he says. It's not a good business strategy, he says. I don't think that argument gets you very far nowadays.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

It's a bad thing for players to take pride in a totally free game, he says. It's not a good business strategy, he says. I don't think that argument gets you very far nowadays.

So you'd be fine with Jagex selling weapons/armor in a cash shop? Because that is Valve's business model with Team Fortress 2. Team Fortress 2 is a first person shooter that was long past its prime selling point, that went free to play with the offer of buying the same weapons you could wait to drop or craft (which takes an extremely long amount of time) for $5-10 a pop.

You can't compare the profits of Valve that came from people who otherwise wouldn't pay the box price who came in and are now purchasing items, to the crying of little children who are devoted to the idea of never paying a single cent, who bundle up in their little elitist groups and take personal offense to the idea of a ticker of experience going anywhere above 0. One group stands to bring in massive wealth, the other stands to bring in none whatsoever and actually stands to suck wealth from the game by recruiting more people into their group of "hey let's never pay."

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

So you'd be fine with Jagex selling weapons/armor in a cash shop? Because that is Valve's business model with Team Fortress 2. Team Fortress 2 is a first person shooter that was long past its prime selling point, that went free to play with the offer of buying the same weapons you could wait to drop or craft (which takes an extremely long amount of time) for $5-10 a pop.

You can't compare the profits of Valve that came from people who otherwise wouldn't pay the box price who came in and are now purchasing items, to the crying of little children who are devoted to the idea of never paying a single cent, who bundle up in their little elitist groups and take personal offense to the idea of a ticker of experience going anywhere above 0. One group stands to bring in massive wealth, the other stands to bring in none whatsoever and actually stands to suck wealth from the game by recruiting more people into their group of "hey let's never pay."

Jagex and the entire RuneScape community would have to have a revolutionary cultural rethink to implement any sort of cash shop that wouldn't enrage veterans or alienate new players. I'm not sure either can invest the time into that right now, nor do I think that Jagex would be able to successfully implement it, in their current business model's mental state.

Or better yet, let's borrow form the spirit of what the article suggests - free to play isn't a bad business model, nor does it bleed money.

Think of it this way. If RuneScape were not free, would you have ever considered playing it in 2002? In 2003? How about in 2005, when WoW was its major competitor? What about 2 years ago, when the MMO market was overflowing with options and opportunities?

A company can use free to their financial advantage, if they are both careful at how they approach the model, and earnest in their free offerings. If Jagex were to give F2P a positive reason to pay - not necessarily just through Membership or in-game items - innocuous perks like slightly more bank space or better account security or such - then they could make the F2P model, which drove them to such success, work for them once again.

s1L0U.jpg

There are two ways to go for profit. Pay2Win or subscription. If you do not want the former you'll get the latter, and since this turns up less revenue, you'll have to deal with some bits of marketing. The trial, unlike some other things introduced isn't even detrimental for F2P gameplay, it just makes accounts that do not have any member xp rarer. Big deal.

You can of course complain about updates to F2p. Just because you odn't pay doesn't mean you're not entitled to it. But please stay realistic. You'll have to keep most forms of marketing, so you will only be able to do something against those which you dislike the most. And do you honestly think that is the trial?

Aww, well that's a little uncalled for, isn't it? Obviously you've never experienced first-hand what it's like to be in one of those communities so I forgive you for disrespectfully ridiculing it based on an unfair characterization of what you think we are trying to do. Let me make something clear - I have NEVER discouraged any player (friend or otherwise) from buying membership. I also might add that after they have bought P2P, they are in no way cut off from F2P communities. Rather, they are encouraged to maintain a connection with us and let us know of their progress. That's the way it has always been.

What a Pure F2P community does do, however, is serve as a home for those players which, for whatever reason, cannot pay or wish to not pay for the game. We bring together a group of players which play the game in the same way with similar goals and try to improve their RuneScape experiences with fun events and a chat they're always welcome to so they can discuss the game and make some new friends.

Is this such a bad thing?

Sorry for going off topic. I think Jagex has already made it clear they will fill their pockets before listening to the F2P community... but I don't want to talk about that here. I will not try to challenge Jagex if I know it will contribute to more people taking that leap of faith and purchasing P2P because of the free trial. I merely wanted to bring to attention that I am disappointed (not disgusted) that Jagex have made this decision which will reduce the amount of new Pure F2Ps and divert interest away from the free game - but I've obviously done that by now. :P I suppose I've always liked the idea of F2P being an own game in its own right.

Possum39.png

Nobody here has said pure F2P is bad. But complaining about this members tutorial is, quite frankly, ridiculous, because it DOESN'T HURT YOU. You can still get accounts with no members experience, and even if that was not the case - what does it matter? It doesn't change your way of playing at all. This is the same as a 1 defence pure complaining about he accidentally got 2 defence, even if it didn't increase his combat level. What does it matter? Your gameplay does not change.

Nobody here has said pure F2P is bad. But complaining about this members tutorial is, quite frankly, ridiculous, because it DOESN'T HURT YOU. You can still get accounts with no members experience, and even if that was not the case - what does it matter? It doesn't change your way of playing at all. This is the same as a 1 defence pure complaining about he accidentally got 2 defence, even if it didn't increase his combat level. What does it matter? Your gameplay does not change.

It is not only one thing though; it is a drop in a metaphorical bucket which is slowly building up. F2P is gradually becoming a less integral part of the Runescape experience than what it once was; this affects all players past, present, and future.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

It is not only one thing though; it is a drop in a metaphorical bucket which is slowly building up. F2P is gradually becoming a less integral part of the Runescape experience than what it once was; this affects all players past, present, and future.

I understand that; I understand that this is more than complaining "oh noes I need to look at members armour". I do realize this is a lot of things building up and that Jagex's attitude towards F2P isn't exactly what it should be.

But this trial? It's not a drop in the bucket. It doesn't change your gameplay. People can try out membership. They like it - they keep playing. They don't like it - they go back to F2P.

As far as I can tell there IS pressure to stay F2P exerted by F2P clans, and vice versa for P2P ones.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Yes. This is because F2P and P2P cannot interact with each other easily (for good reason!). But it does segment the community quite a bit.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

i still think most of those 14 days trials are made for botting purposes....go see sorc garden now there is tons of those trialers running...if you report them they just make new in no time.

yes there is probably trade limit but i think bots use scripts to trade 25k at once one after another until all is transferred.

also i noticed you might use those to help clans by just making one, inviting to clan, waiting 5 days to get able to do resources with them and quit them from clan after next build tick

also using them as double chance wheel spinners along with other benefits...

now all those who botted in f2p only, moves to sorc garden and other better places since its free now...i think this system is misused too much by botters and rwters that only fragment of those are legit players.

I have not tried out this trial but to me it looks like a demo. If F2P is not a demo then this trial is certainly a demo that will affect your account even after the trial.

I can see how this isn't a bad thing. It's a way for Jagex to give new players a larger picture of how Runescape really is. Before, when players started, you didn't get a taste of how the members world was. With this trial I think Jagex is trying to show new players what lies beyond F2P and get them interested in paying right at the start.

I think it's a good way to show new players what lies beyond F2P. I don't think this is hurting existing F2P players, we have been hurt a few times but I won't complain. It's not because "I don't pay I can't complain" it's more like "I respect Jagex for letting me play this game for free for so long even if it is getting less playable as it gets older".

If anything bad can be said about this then it's the "New Jagex'" way of making money. It seems like another short-term investment. It's either a sign of inpatience or a sign of a dying game or both. They don't want to wait for new players to try out the game in F2P they want them to straight away pay for it. Of course they have always wanted that but this time they are alot more inpatient than they were before. This is where Nje's metaphor kicks in. When the bucket is full then the only thing left is P2P. How long will that last? While other games are giving new players more and more time and more of the game to play for free, "New Jagex" is going the opposite direction. This is not the only short-term investment, this is just a part of "New Jagex'" updates.