I'd like to take this time to thank tip.it....

Da Pirates

...Because of you guys I now get 10+ runescape phishing emails a day

Thanks for keeping our sensitive information so safe!

aRyHi.png

Seriously though, how can one of the top fansites in the world let this happen? I would've expected better from a great & usually hardworking staff that I know well.

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

They were hacked a while back. No one knows exactly what was taken, but it's pretty safe to say that everyones email addresses are out there now. That said, before the hacking I never got phishing emails ever. Since then I get maybe 3-4 a week max. Are you sure you didn't use that email address on another site as well?

They were hacked a while back. No one knows exactly what was taken, but it's pretty safe to say that everyones email addresses are out there now. That said, before the hacking I never got phishing emails ever. Since then I get maybe 3-4 a week max. Are you sure you didn't use that email address on another site as well?

I am not a part of any other Runescape related sites, so no. I only use this email for "big" websites like eBay & Twitter

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you really shouldn't have your Runescape account linked to an E-mail that you use for other websites. Websites get hacked, and unfortunately Tip.It was among them. Personally, I have never gotten any of these E-mails.

Inb4lockedormoved.

EDIT:

You are more worried about your Runescape account than your Ebay account that possibly has your Credit Card/Paypal information? <_<

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you really shouldn't have your Runescape account linked to an E-mail that you use for other websites. Websites get hacked, and unfortunately Tip.It was among them. Personally, I have never gotten any of these E-mails.

Inb4lockedormoved.

Why would it be locked or moved? This is a serious issue, locking this thread would only show that staff is trying to cover up the fact that they screwed up bigtime.

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

The staff had nothing to do with the website getting hacked. Also, this is the "Off-Topic" section of the forums. Aka, Runescape related material is not really meant to be posted here. If you have a beef with the Admins, I suggest you take it up with them instead of posting on the section of the forums that has nothing to do with Runescape.

The staff had nothing to do with the website getting hacked. Also, this is the "Off-Topic" section of the forums. Aka, Runescape related material is not really meant to be posted here. If you have a beef with the Admins, I suggest you take it up with them instead of posting on the section of the forums that has nothing to do with Runescape.

First off, you're not part of the staff - stop minimodding.

Secondly, as you stated earlier - this stretches beyond Runescape, i'm pretty sure at least one person out of those 235,000 used their tip.it email for the PayPal account which puts their credit cards at risk. I love how you seem to see this as OK.

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

Calm down, they got an email address not your bank account information. How about just not replying to the emails? I get them too, but I just delete them and go about my day.

Still, I should not have to even be in that situation where I don't know if an email is legitimate or not. Prior to this incident I would NEVER get spam.

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

I beg to differ

and like I said... The Mods have NOTHING to do with this, and I doubt that the ADMINS decided to start handing out our E-mail addresses to scammers and hackers like free candy.

I beg to differ, and like I said... The Mods have NOTHING to do with this, and I doubt that the ADMINS decided to start handing out our E-mail addresses to scammers and hackers like free candy.

You obviously knew what I meant.

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

Why use a email you don't want out in public with a forum account? Also, You might have been better off posting this in FU&S or messaging an admin rather than just coming out to make a scene

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Its just emails, they wont hurt you!

theres no need to be mad :x

Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I like how u try to blame this on Tip.It staff.

The site got hacked months ago, could happen to any site regardless of how big they are, not the staff's fault.

Also email address is hardly 'sensitive' information; it's one of the most public things about you online and all they can do is try to brute force into (and probs fail unless ur pass is stupid) it or send u phishing emails; nothing security or life ruining.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Calm down, they got an email address not your bank account information. How about just not replying to the emails? I get them too, but I just delete them and go about my day.

Still, I should not have to even be in that situation where I don't know if an email is legitimate or not. Prior to this incident I would NEVER get spam.

You shouldn't be in a situation anyway where you don't know if an email is legitimate or not.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Here is some information about what happened,

(forum announcement)

http://forum.tip.it/topic/303160-were-back/

(website post)

http://open.tip.it/news/view/2647-recent-downtime

^ This.

We were very clear and open about this when it happened. We also put up regular security announcements, which if followed, should prevent everyone from getting hacked.

I don't have anything to say that can make this better. I just hope you understand where we're coming from. Security is not a walk in the park and we have always done our best with it. But we have probably one of the single most attractive database to hackers (just because it might be the largest in the RuneScape fan site community). These people don't stop trying. I can't promise you it will never happen again. I wish I could, believe me. But security isn't as simple as pressing a button and then knowing you're invulnerable. We do have a lot of extra security measures now so hopefully it won't happen again.. but that's not something anyone can promise. People will continue trying to find vulnerabilities to push their way in. It happens to big sites like Steam, Rift, and PlayStation... and it happens to RuneScape fan sites too.

We are sorry that your e-mail address was made known. Securing private information is our #1 priority and in that sense we failed. We never tried to cover this up, we never tried to pretend it didn't happen. We always encourage people to use a separate e-mail just for Tip.It. Then if it does get out, all you have to do is delete it and create a new one. At the very least, make sure that your RuneScape account is not in any way connected to your Tip.It e-mail address.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

All email Jagex sends to you is done through the ingame inbox. The exception is confirming your email address on your account.

If a "Jagex" email does get through your email account, it is ALWAYS a phishing email, delete it immediately.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Yeah Jagex does send out the occasional e-mail about loyalty points or a RuneScape newsletter, and then there are recovery e-mails. So saying "If you ever get an e-mail from Jagex it's a phishing scam" isn't really accurate. However, you can remember that there is NEVER a reason to click on any links. If you need to go to RuneScape.com, navigate there yourself. There's never a reason to click on the link in the e-mail.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog