BTS#15: Al Kharid: Rebuilding a City (Jagex Video)

Cowman_133

The only bad thing I see is that, Al-Kharid is a very small city, so this update, as great and good looking as it may be, won't achieve it's fullest greatness in my opinion, now if we had a city that's as big as Meiyerditch with these kind of graphics, now it would be really awesome.

Can't complain though, I don't think there's any city as big as that in game.

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

Alright, that's fair, they did say soon not next week.

So in my quest to be sour about this for as long as I can be (maybe I'm in a bad mood, maybe I just don't give a flying fart about Al-Kharid), I thought the area already had a makeover back when they redid the rest of the free world in an attempt to make a good impression. While I don't object to them making over the entire free world first to make a good first impression, they never finished the job, and huge swaths of Kandarin have yet to be updated. I would like to see the job actually be completed before they go back and start doing this all over again. It just makes the game a bit disjointed having what is now 3 different generations of graphical updates in the game at the same time (I think the third generation started with Burthrope, which would suggest they have no intention of completing the original job in the near future).

So in my quest to be sour about this for as long as I can be (maybe I'm in a bad mood, maybe I just don't give a flying fart about Al-Kharid), I thought the area already had a makeover back when they redid the rest of the free world in an attempt to make a good impression. While I don't object to them making over the entire free world first to make a good first impression, they never finished the job, and huge swaths of Kandarin have yet to be updated. I would like to see the job actually be completed before they go back and start doing this all over again. It just makes the game a bit disjointed having what is now 3 different generations of graphical updates in the game at the same time (I think the third generation started with Burthrope, which would suggest they have no intention of completing the original job in the near future).

By the time they finish, the stuff they can do is better so they restart early. Also, they tend to focus more on places that lots of people go, rather than on places that are outdated. So they've redone falador, varrock,alkharid (soon) and other F2P places a lot more than the obscure P2P places.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Falador is already some time ago, the last graphical update. I do recall that during the quests the characters told me Falador is the white city, and the whole city was build in those grey bricks who were found in every settlement (except Draynor, which had brown bricks). But Falador is really in for some new graphics.

I really love the stuff I've seen in this video, I only wonder how far they went with the redesign, as I see there's now another path to the northern mine, and a lot of city walls around the city. I also wonder where the gnome lander will take off now, in a crowded little city. :P

The only bad thing I see is that, Al-Kharid is a very small city, so this update, as great and good looking as it may be, won't achieve it's fullest greatness in my opinion, now if we had a city that's as big as Meiyerditch with these kind of graphics, now it would be really awesome.

Can't complain though, I don't think there's any city as big as that in game.

In so much as usability al kharid is a small city, but very? Hardly! Out of all of the f2p cities and their backgrounds I feel that this area has the most potential to be very culturally and environmentally colorful and express the most of the graphics teams efforts.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Only part that interested me... "Next week: God Wars!"

I sense a God Wars Dungeon rework...

Dat aviansies graphics.

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

Yeah, with an odd looking General Graardor. :s He gained some weight and he has gotten orange.

I still feel he will be looking like an ogre and giant mix. Now that I look at him as he is now he looks like a gublinch on steriods.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

By the time they finish, the stuff they can do is better so they restart early. Also, they tend to focus more on places that lots of people go, rather than on places that are outdated. So they've redone falador, varrock,alkharid (soon) and other F2P places a lot more than the obscure P2P places.

And I can sympathise with that, but it still feels weird moving from one place to the next and there is obviously a fairly substantial difference in how things are designed. If they did the entire world start to finish, it wouldn't all be at the same level because of how long it takes, but you wouldn't have kits that were made in '04 (or earlier since it would have been done pre release) in the same world as kits from '12. And they don't have to do as spectacular a job on the less busy parts. In particular, not all the areas need their own new npc's. If they could even do just the cities, which would probably take about 40% of the time as a full rework like al-kharid.

If only they never made the citadels and dedicated all the development hours into a runescape wide graphical update, instead of the patchwork jobs they typically do

Also the removal of the gate/fence wall is a long awaited realism update. I hated for years that the seperation between biomes was a simple wood fence

Wish that if they updated the NPCs they'd also update our corresponding gear, though. Prime examples being the claws on the Burthorpe soldiers or the Taverley druids' robes - our player kit feels so vastly removed from those of NPCs.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Wish that if they updated the NPCs they'd also update our corresponding gear, though. Prime examples being the claws on the Burthorpe soldiers or the Taverley druids' robes - our player kit feels so vastly removed from those of NPCs.

Actually now that you mention it I do feel the same. I also would love to own some of the new al kharid clothing. Hey I'm sure that some of that stuff might eventually float our way if the community makes a big enough blip on the radar.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Actually now that you mention it I do feel the same. I also would love to own some of the new al kharid clothing. Hey I'm sure that some of that stuff might eventually float our way if the community makes a big enough blip on the radar.

I don't think Mage was getting at giving us the costumes NPCs wear just because they look good (though it's not a bad idea), she was referring to the fact NPCs that wear items we already have access too get updated but our items don't. Eg Druid Robes no longer match what Druids actually wear.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I don't think Mage was getting at giving us the costumes NPCs wear just because they look good (though it's not a bad idea), she was referring to the fact NPCs that wear items we already have access too get updated but our items don't. Eg Druid Robes no longer match what Druids actually wear.

Even then I would hold a similar agreement. I would love to see more detail in our gear.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Looks gorgeous. I'm glad to see them resolving the sudden biome change with those cliffs. Won't be missing that gate.

The art is great too :thumbup:

• Like 1
cliffside1ra5.png

I have to agree, the update looks great. I can't wait for it to go live in-game.

I just hope they don't move the furnace further away from the bank. :pray:

• Like 1

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Yep. That's why I don't want it moved. ;)

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Even then I would hold a similar agreement. I would love to see more detail in our gear.

Actually I'm more of like "Why do these guys get gear that our stuff currently does not even come close to matching" :P

Like the guards of Varrock, that felt a bit weird when they got updated to their yellow garb.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.