Player-Owned Ports: Voyage Calculator

Xena_Dragon

Any chance of an option to force in a Merchant in your team?

To be honest, I'd rather take a Barmaid's tip with 92% and a Merchant than a 100% Barmaid's tip without.

Oops, my bad. Forcing one (or possibly more) crew members on the team is also on the to-do list :)

Xena_Dragon.png

Oops, yeah. Boat stats would effect that. 8^/

a) I've got up to Reinforced Ram, Cannon x2, Golden Hull and Refitted Shipwright.

b) The Captain stats are M:140, C:240, S:120 and Lvl 1.

c) I'll grab screen shots if/when it happens again.

d) No effects. I try and hit 100% naturally. If I can't make it, I start looking at any upgrades / crew I can purchase. If it doesn't help me, I don't buy it.

Hmm, still not sure what the issue is. Since you seem to be the only one having problems, and without more information, I'd probably guess you accidentally type something in wrong.

Hmm, still not sure what the issue is. Since you seem to be the only one having problems, and without more information, I'd probably guess you accidentally type something in wrong.

I kept double and triple checking the numbers, and I've got screen grabs here now. Will post tomorrow. Here's more info on what I found.

I usually use FF (18.0.1) for the calc. I had the issue repeat.

1) Once I had an inconsistancy, I fired up Chrome (24.0.1312.52 m), and entered the stats of the crew. With ONLY the crew that was selected by the calc available, One captain and five crew, there's only one way for it to choose. Chrome did the calc correctly.

2) Saved both my current FF data with one name, and the chrome data with another name.

3) Loaded the chrome data in ff, and ran calculate. This time FF did calculate matching values (with only the single crew option) to RS.

4) Loaded the FF data in Chrome, and then ran the calc. Chrome picked the same crew, and again calculated matching values to RS.

So, the only thing I can come up with is a local buffering/calc issue under FF and limited conditions. Perhaps some of the crew data was messed up locally if the calc was updated behind the scenes. Repeating this is the tricky part. Perhaps just reloading the data from the server will clear it up.

BTW, where in the browser is the data stored locally?

Any chance of having a button that saves the percentage that a boat goes out at with the crew? IE press ship 1 saves the crew and stores 93%

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Any chance of having a button that saves the percentage that a boat goes out at with the crew? IE press ship 1 saves the crew and stores 93%

And once it is saved, what would you want to do with it?

Save it until the boat comes back, makes it easier to log success rates at various percentages. When you hit clear the boat buttons the percentages go away.

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

And once it is saved, what would you want to do with it?

Save it until the boat comes back, makes it easier to log success rates at various percentages. When you hit clear the boat buttons the percentages go away.

Agreed, would be helpful when you swear the boat was at 100% and the trip fails. It has happened to me. It's possible (or at least WAS, who knows what all was fixed in some of the POP updates) to fail a trip even at 100%. RS doesn't pop up a voyage % on the success/fail screen to remind you.

By the way, since reloading data how I mentioned before, there has not been a missed calc...

I have one final suggestion, but I have no idea whether it's feasible (I know little about programming and computing time).

• We should be able to enter ALL the voyages on offer (stating which special missions are mutually exclusive) and the calculator work out the best setups, given our criteria, for four voyages (this obviously includes at least one special voyage), three voyages, two voyages and one voyage. In addition, something to consider would be a box by each voyage to type in the success rate below which you just won't do it, so it can automatically skip showing you a terrible result which you definitely won't like!

As it stands, you can, for example, easily send off two voyages at 100%, but then be left with something at 55%. It would be extremely useful to calculate for all voyages at once and know you can send out three at, say, 85% at least, even before seeing what new voyages appear as you send them off. The reason for giving it for four voyages AND three etc. is that if the calculator gives you four voyages at 60%, you can decide against that and look at three and see that it's something like 90% and go with that.

Sorry to be so demanding, but perhaps consider it a challenge?

I also know little about programming and computing time, but the only improvement I could use with this calculator is the use of two+ ships at the same time. If it is not feasible, then oh well. Thank you, I really love using this calculator.

I have another recommendation now: in addition to 'select all' there should be an easy way to select and unselect those crew members which have been placed on ships. Sometimes you want to plan ahead and see whether a really hard voyage is possible with your best crew, before seeing what you can currently do. However, that requires unticking all the ones on your boats, which is a little annoying.

• Like 1

I have another recommendation now: in addition to 'select all' there should be an easy way to select and unselect those crew members which have been placed on ships. Sometimes you want to plan ahead and see whether a really hard voyage is possible with your best crew, before seeing what you can currently do. However, that requires unticking all the ones on your boats, which is a little annoying.

What I do myself in that case is save the data in the database, then experiment all I want with different crews, settings and whatnot, and when I'm done simply load the data from the database again...

Xena_Dragon.png

I know it would add a large amount of time to the calculation but any chance of being able to put in the requirements for more then 1 mission at a time? Seems like that would be helpful with 4 ships. Currently I kind of do that by holding them to a ship without actually sending the boat but then I lose the settings on the bottom. Plus everyone looks the same and after doing 4 ships reading the tiny numbers is hard, maybe highlight in a colour depending on the current ship they are on?

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

I know it would add a large amount of time to the calculation but any chance of being able to put in the requirements for more then 1 mission at a time? Seems like that would be helpful with 4 ships. Currently I kind of do that by holding them to a ship without actually sending the boat but then I lose the settings on the bottom. Plus everyone looks the same and after doing 4 ships reading the tiny numbers is hard, maybe highlight in a colour depending on the current ship they are on?

The short answer is: No chance at all.

The long answer is that it's not just 'a large amount of time'. We're more talking in insane amounts of time when it comes to trying to calculate for more than one voyage.

Also: The question that comes to mind is how you should find the best combination of 4 ships. Let's try doing it for 2 ships. Suppose the first ship can be sent away with 100% chance of success, and the second ship then can get 60% as best result. It could be that when you assign a bit lesser crew to the first ship to get it to 90%, the second ship can be boosted to 80%. Sounds better, doesn't it? But what if I told you the first ship is for a 20 plate mission, and the second for a 100 chimes mission then the situation is quite different. You can make those judgement calls easily, the calculator cannot.

But let's suppose you just want the best average percentages, and the 90% and 80% result is to be preferred over the 100% and 60% combination. For just one voyage the calculator makes about 14.3 million calculations to find the optimal crew. If you then send that ship away, and take 1 captain and 5 crew members out of the equation you need about 3.3 million calculations to find the best crew for the second ship. If you don't send the first ship away, however, and want to find the best possible combination of two ships you need to do 14.3 million times 3.3 million calculations. I don't even know how to pronounce such a number, but it's about 48,039,788,966,400 calculations. And that's just for two ships. Feel free to do the math for four ships, but I promise you that before that calculation is finished human kind probably already terraformed and colonized Mars and is on its way to explore Alpha Centauri.

Xena_Dragon.png

Since a lot of us are hitting Pincers now (and Jagex is also willing to fix it finally), will we seen percentual trait boosts worked in soon?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Since a lot of us are hitting Pincers now (and Jagex is also willing to fix it finally), will we seen percentual trait boosts worked in soon?

Yeah, once I'm sure that a) it does indeed work as intended in-game, and b) I'm sure I'm using the right calculations.

On a side note: The numbers in the calculator are still spot on. So right now I'm guessing that the % info we now see for crew members is just informational, and the actual bonuses are already included in their stats. In that case, no change is needed...

Xena_Dragon.png

Has anything changed about the saving/loading in the timers section, it doesn't remember my timers anymore.

Yes, we've moved from using cookies to using local storage. But if the voyage calculator remembers its settings, then so should the timers. What browser are you using?

Xena_Dragon.png

Chrome Version 24.0.1312.57 m

And it does still save on the calculator. I've already used (ctrl+)F5 to refresh.

I've checked my local storage, and currently the only things under www.tip.it is my voyage data, the saveShipTimers is still and empty array. JSON.stringify seems to return an empty value.

And it does still save on the calculator. I've already used (ctrl+)F5 to refresh.

I've checked my local storage, and currently the only things under www.tip.it is my voyage data, the saveShipTimers is still and empty array. JSON.stringify seems to return an empty value.

I've tested this on Chrome version 24.0.1312.57 m, but it all works ok for me. This is what my localstorage looks like when I have timer 1 running:

K8iY65h.png

Perhaps you can try deleting that empty array (click on the 'saveShipTimers' row and then push the Delete key on your keyboard. Other than that, I have no clue what could be causing this behaviour in your browser, or how to solve it...

Xena_Dragon.png

I am having problems with loading the calculator, very infrequently the calculator load properly, and I can use it, but most of the time I cannot use it. I have tried with both Opera 12.13, Opera 12.14 (my default browser) and IE 10. I have deleted cookies and storage on both Opera and IE, which does not seem to make a difference.

When using the drop down menu to select crew nothing happens, if I enter the values manually the calculator works.

I cannot load my saved settings on tip.it server, I have run the Java script debugger in Opera, those are the values it shows errors for:

Linked script not loaded

[05/02/2013 20:56:34] JavaScript - http://www.tip.it/ru.../pop_voyage.htm

Unknown thread

Uncaught exception: TypeError: Cannot convert 'saveVoyageData' to object

Error thrown at line 1801, column 1 in setVoyageData(saveVoyageData) in http://www.tip.it/ru..._voyage.htm.js:

$("#morale").val(getIntOrZero(saveVoyageData.moraleTarget));

called from line 1794, column 1 in loadCalculatorData() in http://www.tip.it/ru..._voyage.htm.js:

setVoyageData(JSON.parse(localStorage.getItem('saveVoyageData')));

called from line 1287, column 1 in <anonymous function>() in http://www.tip.it/ru..._voyage.htm.js:

loadCalculatorData();

called via Function.prototype.apply() from line 2, column 29466 in <anonymous function: f.Callbacks>(b, f) in http://ajax.googleap.../jquery.min.js:

if(c[l].apply(b,f)===!1&&a.stopOnFalse)

called from line 2, column 31004 in <anonymous function: fireWith>(b, c) in http://ajax.googleap.../jquery.min.js:

d&&(i?a.once||d.push([b,c]) :(!a.once||!e)&&n(b,c));

called from line 2, column 19394 in <anonymous function: ready>(a) in http://ajax.googleap.../jquery.min.js:

A.fireWith(c,[e]),e.fn.trigger&&e©.trigger("ready").off("ready")

called from line 2, column 28585 in <anonymous function: B>() in http://ajax.googleap.../jquery.min.js:

c.removeEventListener("DOMContentLoaded",B,!1),e.ready()

A few people on this thread seem to have problems loading the calculator, perhaps providing an off line version would help, until the cause of this problem is pinpointed and fixed.

I've tested this on Chrome version 24.0.1312.57 m, but it all works ok for me. This is what my localstorage looks like when I have timer 1 running:

K8iY65h.png

Perhaps you can try deleting that empty array (click on the 'saveShipTimers' row and then push the Delete key on your keyboard. Other than that, I have no clue what could be causing this behaviour in your browser, or how to solve it...

Nope, it doesn't work. I've even tested it with console.log(JSON.stringify({first:0,second:0,third:0,fourth:0})); and that gives this result:

1cc9d1c264aa962d60266fbbd9bea59b.png

I'll look around myself a bit, and if I find it, I'll let you know.

Edit:

I've looked around a bit, tested basic code on jsfiddle.

var timer={first:0,second:0};

console.log(JSON.stringify(timer));

It prints: {"first":0,"second":0}

If I put that line in your script on line 99, right before saving, it outputs []

I've asked another guy to test it for me, he had the same problem.

Tested in Chome 24.0.1312.57 m, FireFox 18.0.1 and 18.0.2

Ok, an update.

If the page:

http://www.tip.it/runescape/pages/view/pop_voyage.htm

is visited directly (through a bookmark), the module does not work.

Work around that is repeatable for me:

- First visit:

- Click on Rune Tips logo in the top middle of the page (that takes you to tip.it main page).

- Use the back button on your browser to get back to:

- Now module works.

Note: the calculator page seems to look for something in storage that is only provided by the main page of tip.it.

Thanks for the detailed report. I've done some more experimenting myself, but no matter what I try, I cannot get the errors you describe. I've tried bookmarking, entering the URL directly, use the www.tip.it and the tip.it versions of the URL, edited the bookmark manually, but it all just keeps working. So I really have no clue why the calculator is behaving in such an odd way for you. I'm glad you found a workaround.

As for the storage; the scope of the storage is the top level domain www.tip.it. For an example, go to the Ardougne Tasks page, check off some tasks and inspect your local storage. You should see the tasks data and the voyage calculator data in the same storage.

Xena_Dragon.png