So much for "short"cuts...

dargonhuman

Got a Daily challenge to plant an herb seed; didn't feel like messing with the main herb patches since they all had stuff growing already so I 'ported to Trollweiss to use My Arm's patch. I arrived at the exact same time as another person who was apparently heading the same direction, but we both decided to take different routes. I followed the windy path down where he took the Agility shortcuts; I expected him to get to the ladder leading into the mountain way before me since he was using the shortcuts.

He didn't.

In fact, despite my wearing much heavier equipment than him, I actually got to the ladder first. Once inside, he easily outpaced me, but when he took the "shortcuts", I was able to run right past him while he was still stuck halfway through the climbing animations.

So I guess the lesson here is, use the shortcuts if you want the EXP, but if you're looking to save time, just go the "long" way since it's apparently faster.*

*Okay, the real lesson here is Jagex needs to scale back many of the animations or time them faster. Between that and the "lean" and "stand" animations in Tears of Guthix minigame still being too long (not to mention the many other time-intensive animations that could be made faster, shorter, etc), we're wasting a lot of game time waiting for animations that shouldn't be wasted.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

• 2 weeks later...

The animations don't affect the mechanics.

As far as timing... they most certainly do. Agility shortcuts aren't the only thing affected, either. C'mon, man, this has been noticed before, so it's not like some fluke new thing.

Hedgehog is talking about the graphics which is what animation refers to. Jagex could set the time to go from one end of a shortcut pipe to the other as being 3 seconds but make a 20 second animation of someone struggling through a pipe. If you clicked to go through the pipe you would see yourself going through a pipe for 20 seconds but after 3 second you'd be able to continue running, when 20 seconds are up you would see the graphics jump to where you had run to in the extra 17 seconds.

This kind of effect is actually in the game in many places. When you go on the rope swing at the barbarian course you can run to the log 1.8 seconds before the animation for swinging on the rope finishes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The animations don't affect the mechanics.

As far as timing... they most certainly do. Agility shortcuts aren't the only thing affected, either. C'mon, man, this has been noticed before, so it's not like some fluke new thing.

Hedgehog is talking about the graphics which is what animation refers to. Jagex could set the time to go from one end of a shortcut pipe to the other as being 3 seconds but make a 20 second animation of someone struggling through a pipe. If you clicked to go through the pipe you would see yourself going through a pipe for 20 seconds but after 3 second you'd be able to continue running, when 20 seconds are up you would see the graphics jump to where you had run to in the extra 17 seconds.

This kind of effect is actually in the game in many places. When you go on the rope swing at the barbarian course you can run to the log 1.8 seconds before the animation for swinging on the rope finishes.

The animation sync should really be fixed, it gets really annoying especially in Tears of Guthix like he said.

My Stats

Dark_Ahnaf.png

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Try killing Giant Mole without them, hehe. Then again, who kills the mole for more then sport anyway? :P

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Noticed the troll short cut being worthless sometime ago.  Only one I really use anymore (which is still rarely) is the one in taverly dungeon that cuts to blue dragons.  

And the other side to hellhounds.

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Only one I really use anymore (which is still rarely) is the one in taverly dungeon that cuts to blue dragons.  

I personally don't use that dungeon anymore.

All monsters I can kill in there have better location where a stupid key or ridiculously high agility levels are not needed.

Noticed the troll short cut being worthless sometime ago.  Only one I really use anymore (which is still rarely) is the one in taverly dungeon that cuts to blue dragons.  

And the other side to hellhounds.

Which I always forget about....... lol 

peever142.png

This game needs more shortcuts, cause right now agile is useless

The only reason I even train it is for prerequisites (quests requirements, unlocking equipment, etc.)  Otherwise, yea, there's not much point.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

This game needs more shortcuts, cause right now agile is useless

The only reason I even train it is for prerequisites (quests requirements, unlocking equipment, etc.)  Otherwise, yea, there's not much point.

It helps a bit for thieving and fishing though :p

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!