How to make the world a better place?

Barker 1408

Ive always love the thought of helping others and giving back< so what do you think are some good ways to do that?? or what do you do?? big, small, in everyday life, once a month? Please feel free to share your ideas and stories :)

Edited by Quyneax
Improved readability :)

To start off, I'm gonna say something that I know will attract criticism, but I think it is true: get rid of about 5 billion people on this planet. Thereis way too much of us. And that would improve living conditions to practically everybody except thr uberrich. Cause when you think about it, that means more all natural resources per person.

Other thing, I'd destroy absolutely every single firearm that is not used for sports or hunting and is in civilian use. Would get rid of a lot of trouble. Also control manufacturing of every single gun on this planet.

But I know my thoughts are just an utopia.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

To start off, I'm gonna say something that I know will attract criticism, but I think it is true: get rid of about 5 billion people on this planet. Thereis way too much of us. And that would improve living conditions to practically everybody except thr uberrich. Cause when you think about it, that means more all natural resources per person.

Other thing, I'd destroy absolutely every single firearm that is not used for sports or hunting and is in civilian use. Would get rid of a lot of trouble. Also control manufacturing of every single gun on this planet.

What bluntless. You're anti-gun because presumably you're not a violent individual but then you want mass genocide?

Why not improve the efficiency of everything on the planet (e.g. Zimbawbe's farm on the production scale of a USA farm) so we can keep the 7 billion people?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Big topic, and I'm on my phone so I'll be concise. If this thread gets taken seriously I'll elaborate later when I'm at home. But in a nutshell:

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Pursue self-improvement

Accept responsibility for everything that happens in your life, for better or for worse

Be grateful for everything

Drop your attachments to everything

You don't have to be a spiritual leader like MLK or Gandhi to make the world a better place. Your INTENT is what matters in addition to your actions. The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others. They're still making the world worse, just on a different scale because of circumstance. Similarly, if you're a "good" person who is kind, understanding, and nonjudgmental, you're doing a great service to the world; even if it's only one person at a time.

• Like 2

77yLQy8.png

What bluntless. You're anti-gun because presumably you're not a violent individual but then you want mass genocide?

Why not improve the efficiency of everything on the planet (e.g. Zimbawbe's farm on the production scale of a USA farm) so we can keep the 7 billion people?

They can't defend themselves very well if they don't have any guns.

We all know that a world where everyone has a longbow instead of a gun would be a much better place.

Don't be silly. Shortbows have much better DPS. The world wold be a much better place if everyone understood this. :P

• Like 5

77yLQy8.png

Oh god [bleep]ing damn it. I do not want a mass genocide. I just don't wat that too many people were born in the last century.

And also, dafuq dudes?

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

We all know that a world where everyone has a longbow instead of a gun would be a much better place.

Don't be silly. Shortbows have much better DPS. The world wold be a much better place if everyone understood this. :P

Longbows don't even exist anymore :P

Oh god [bleep]ing damn it. I do not want a mass genocide. I just don't wat that too many people were born in the last century.

And also, dafuq dudes?

But there's already that many people on the planet, they aren't going to just pop out of existence. So you want to disarm people to perpretate a genocide?

lol

On a serious note, genocide and disarment aren't a good combination... No offense but I wouldn't want someone like you anywhere close to me.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

SaqPrets has a point - a planet with a population of seven billion and growing is pretty difficult to sustain. We wouldn't have to kill 80% of the humans on this planet, either - if we could get 85% to have no kids and the other 15% to only have one kid, then we could achieve a drastically lowered population over just a few generations. Then we'd somehow make everyone get along really well and then hey, we'd have our Utopia.

(I think I remember reading a book by Aldous Huxley that goes a bit like this)

Then again, if we could just get people to stop being more wasteful and make better use of out natural resources, then a population of seven billion might be sustainable. Especially if one day we can colonize other planets.

Anyways - as for helping to make the world a better place, treating others well is a really really good place to start. It's obvious, too, but it's overlooked so often. I think people sometimes just forget that this doesn't only mean to treat people that they know (Friends, family) well, but strangers and people that they might not get along with, too. One piece of advice that I heard recently went something like "Treat everyone you see with the same kindness that you would treat them with if they had a day left to live". I've been doing my best to follow it, and it feels really good so far. Even if you don't want to go do a favor for someone, I think that just pocketing insults/sarcasm, giving compliments, and just being generally friendly can go a long, long way.

SaqPrets has a point - a planet with a population of seven billion and growing is pretty difficult to sustain. We wouldn't have to kill 80% of the humans on this planet, either - if we could get 85% to have no kids and the other 15% to only have one kid, then we could achieve a drastically lowered population over just a few generations. Then we'd somehow make everyone get along really well and then hey, we'd have our Utopia.

The problem with that is that in 50 or 60 years we would have a very small young population trying to support an older population. Perhaps if we killed everyone when they turned 60 for a decade or so it would work, but that's still genocide and genocide is bad.

The problem with that is that in 50 or 60 years we would have a very small young population trying to support an older population. Perhaps if we killed everyone when they turned 60 for a decade or so it would work, but that's still genocide and genocide is bad.

Capitalist society would fail completely if you institute reproduction limits like this. The only reason china can survive is because they're not a capitalist democracy, and they're heading for the shithole quickly.

The only practical way population control would actually work is killing people off at a certain age like you said. But that's out of the question.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

That was beautifully put.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Also a reduced population would decrease mankind's ability to progress.

Think of how much less technology would be able to progress if our thinking pool decreased by 75%.

Edit and OT:

Personally I think some serious steps towards changing attitudes towards mental disorders would be a great step. I think we'd have a lot less people going out a massacring school if they could get proper psychiatric treatment (which would require them not being discouraged to by a society that shuns and distrusts the mentally unfit).

Also, let's turn prisoners into rehabilitation centers rather than criminal training and production centers.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Only 5-10% of violent crimes are commited by those with mental disorders. Compare that to 26.2% of Americans who have a diagnosable mental disorder.

I can't vouch for the accuracy and relevance of this data, but it does show how misconceived mental disorders are in this country.

As a matter of fact, our store of natural resources is increasing. The way I understand the word, a resource is a means to an end. In this sense, the definition of a resource is not related to its physical properties but to its integration in the purposeful action of humans. Bitumen is not, intrinsically, a resource; it is the fact that a subject believes it can be used as a means to some end that makes it a resource. In this sense, we had oil prior to 1900, but it was no resource at the time; it was only when we learned how to extract it, use it, and economize other resources (such as labour) that it itself became a resource.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

• 4 weeks later...

If Amanda Bynes makes a sex tape with Justin Bieber and his agent in a three way.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn