Armor Tutorial

brad1431

I have only done Glacors since EOC, and have basically ignored combat except ranging in abyss....  I am getting closer to maxing and getting bored of non combat, but I dont get the new armor especially what a tier means.  I dont see any method of comparing one armor the the next on TIPIT,  So I need some kind of crash course, guide, tutorial.  Like what is the difference between POP, vs Elite Void, vs Nex, vs bandos vs chaotics armor.... and what are good monsters to train on to learn more of post EOC where they destroyed combat for me because the last thing I want to do in combat is have monsters with multiple styles of attack and need to hybrid or gear change or have to team, I hated that when Td's came out , I want the closes to old click and watch combat as possible if that still exists at any higher money making bosses, until I get a better handle on this change.

thegame1431.png

Here's a brief summary to the best of my knowledge: There's three classifications of gear: hybrid (all), power, and tank. Hybrid gear is useless (in general) because it's 15 levels (1.5 tiers) below its defense requirement. Power is 99 out of 100 times the best choice: it offers only a small defense/health penalty for some damage increase (tiered to the fastest weapon of its tier). Tank is only good in 1 out of 100 situations (tanking the higher end bosses).

Player-owned ports gear is tier 8.5 tank gear. Decent for tanking Nex and stronger if you don't have Nex gear. Otherwise, it's outclassed even by GWD gear (and even the Fremennik armors [rock-shell, spined, and skeletal]).

GWD gear, including Nex and Bandos, are all power armor, which means they boost damage dealt. It's based on the same fastest weapon of the tier, and it's supposed to be something like a 10% boost (it's less, actually, due to rounding and other combat mechanics, but oh well). This is the best gear to use in most situations, because you don't take enough extra damage to beat out the bonus damage (and thus health given by soulsplit, if necessary) in most cases.

Shields in general are only useful for tanking. I think the best shields are still the Divine/Elysian/Arcane spirit shields because they work at Vorago (they reduce the damage of an unblockable orb attack) and they reduce damage in general thus giving them an edge.

Elite void is decent because it's a flat 5% damage, 10% accuracy armor, and rarely do you need the extra defense offered by higher armor in most cases. Of course, if you have tier 90 weapons and are using Nex gear, void is useless (except at TDs unless you like switching 2 pieces of armor as well).

Tormented demons can be fought with momentum, if you don't mine somewhat slower kills. With momentum, they are the same basically as pre-EoC, since prayers block all but 1 hitpoint of damage on successful attacks (aka making you invincible unless you only have 1hp left...).

I hope I covrered it all.

ozXHe7P.png

Yeah, apologies.  Our PvM content ever since EoC has been very outdated and difficult to update.  As we catch up with content soon we plan to detail these new strategies for all the monster hunting guides.

In the meantime Veiva's post is pretty spot on  :thumbup:

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

so when I see it saying that QBD is 6M per hour and I should have any level necessary since I am almost max everything, I have no idea what gear to wear.   for money making I would just do glacors since I use elite void and am ok with them post EOC, since they are pretty east and 4M per hour... or else I just make potions for 2M an hour, or just herb runs in between skilling

thegame1431.png

I think people should stop using the terms "t7", "t8", etc., when referring to Lv. 70 and Lv. 80 armours (respectively), because those terms actually refer to Lv. 60 and Lv. 70 armours (otherwise both Lv. 1 and Lv. 10 armour would be t1; see: Daemonheim)

We should stick to saying Lv. XX (or at least use the same system as Daemonheim uses) otherwise it'll get confusing really fast for anyone trying to catch up with the EoC.

• Like 1

If you only Solo PVM, then you basically have 4 choices:

1. Level 90 armors : This is the best armor in the game so far, and there are set for all 3 combat styles. However, due to the fact that they degrade to dust, this makes their use very expensive compared to the next 3 choices I am presenting you.

2. Level 85 Player owned port Armors : This requires no initial capital in order to acquire, however getting the Armor will require at least several months of work in the port before you can get the sets, although you have all the levels required to make full use of Player owned port. Note this is applicable only for the SUPERIOR port armor, not the tradeable version. The tradeable version, although much cheaper in upkeep than the level 90 armor, also degrade to dust, where as Superior do not. The Tradeable version, IMHO, is probably not worth using for long term, and many argue that PoP armors in general are not worth using. Port is pretty good for QBD though.

3. Level 80 armors: These are Nex Armors, pretty much the most used kind of armor in the game. They have enough armor and Life to get by almost all solo PVM bosses, and they have substantial damage boost. I consider these to be number 1 buys if you have the cash.

4. Level 70 God Wars Dungeon armor (Bandos, Armadyl and Subjugation): These are not very expensive for sets, no upkeep either, but they generally tend to be a little low on the armor and life points boost. You can use these if you are farmiliar with the boss in question, although I think there may be issues of survivability.

QBD's 6M an hour basically requires you to own a set of level 90 weapons in addition to at least one of 2-4, though if you use Drygores, I'd recommend only 2 or 3 (Drygores with either Superior Tetsu or Torva).

That being said, with notable exception of Glacors, Drygores should be one of the first things you'll want to save for, and possibly work on Ports to get those armor in the mean time (again, I must remind you that to get the Superior port armors, it will take several months).

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

I think people should stop using the terms "t7", "t8", etc., when referring to Lv. 70 and Lv. 80 armours (respectively), because those terms actually refer to Lv. 60 and Lv. 70 armours (otherwise both Lv. 1 and Lv. 10 armour would be t1; see: Daemonheim)

We should stick to saying Lv. XX (or at least use the same system as Daemonheim uses) otherwise it'll get confusing really fast for anyone trying to catch up with the EoC.

It only seems to be a select few who use terms that way.

Most people seem to use T85 to mean lvl 85 req gear etc.

Using level 85 works okay for armour as it always means defence, but it becomes confusing when you move over to weapons because it could mean attack, ranged, magic or in some cases strength. That's where T85 is better overall terminology.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Hi guys,

I'm new here, and I've returned to Runescape 10 days ago, after almost two years of absence.  I don't plan to hijack the thread, but also I wont start a new one on the same subject. I'm getting used to the EoC stuff. It looks cool, but I'm really confused with the armour.

Let's say I want to do some low level PvM to make some money. Like killing blue dragons for bones. Now, I checked and they are weak to bolts. But let's say I want to melee the dragons.

Right now I'm using full void as armour. But some players on site questioned my decision. My thought was that since they attack with magic, I'd not want to use melee gear. Also, I don't want to use ranged gear, because I don't want an accuracy penalty. On top of that, I get an accuracy and damage bonus from void, right? Is it ok to use void gear? Veiva's post says that hybrid gear is useless (I was thinking about using the armour from the world event 2), so I don't know exactly what to wear when I'm fighting a monster with a combat style that is not good against that monster attack type. If I have the money to buy Bandos armour, would it be a better option? What about if I move to stronger monsters? Void would still be a viable option? Consider that I have 94 def, 99 atk and str, 93 magic, 86 ranged, 85 summon and 77 prayer. My best melee weapon is a saradomin sword, and I have no useful magic or ranged weapons.

Related to that, is it a good strategy to use void against an enemy that will attack with different styles, and has no weakness? I was thinking about QBD.

Bandos would probably be superior to void, since void is now only 5% damage. Void is also not a great idea for the QBD, because you use only one attack style.

You should get a royal crossbow first thing, it's a level 80 ranged weapon and costs only about 1-2m (idk current price). That's a good basic weapon, then move to get chaotics or t90 weapons.

The combat system is very simple: get the highest-level armour in every equipment slot, and make sure weapon/chest/legs/shield all match.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Void isn't better than most other armor, it's mainly useful for magic as it increases the accuracy of your spells. I'd suggest you get bandos armor as it gives a nice boost in damage and then kill bandos or zamorak until you learn how the new combat system works. Those bosses don't take too much kill and can pay off fairly well.

Sattern.

Sattern, why would void be mainly useful for magic when it does in fact work in the same way for every style?

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I'd say because magic has easier time to completely negate some of the damage, since Magic can completely stop melee from ever touching you easier than ranged can, and melee has no way to avoid damage using distance, so probably in that aspect, void is better for magic.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)