Behind The Scenes - May

Sylpheed

Did they not patch the BotD dragon drops to be wieldable by anyone a week or two after the update when they retweaked the drop tables?

Which kinda renders a large example portion of this line of debate void.

Throwing axes yes, warhammer and staff no.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Sorry, my post sort of assumed we had already moved past the whole "requires 85 str due to quest to use, not just obtain" since that was pretty well covered. I was more referring to the general strategy of releasing mid level items from bosses those players can't fight. As long as they can trade for them, it helps create demand for an item, and allows higher level players the chance to sell it.

It's not great, if the rate of drop is so rare that it's too expensive, and it can create barriers because to get the weapons you need you always have to already have better gear.. (if no one is willing to sell it)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Sorry, my post sort of assumed we had already moved past the whole "requires 85 str due to quest to use, not just obtain" since that was pretty well covered. I was more referring to the general strategy of releasing mid level items from bosses those players can't fight. As long as they can trade for them, it helps create demand for an item, and allows higher level players the chance to sell it.

It's not great, if the rate of drop is so rare that it's too expensive, and it can create barriers because to get the weapons you need you always have to already have better gear.. (if no one is willing to sell it)

I've always thought as much... (Referring to the latter part of your post.)

Dragon gear will always be the primary example. Let's consider for a moment, however, how many, many high level Slayer monsters drop rune items that can be obtained from other sources. In that sense, and as a tangent to the original point, the items are clearly only in those drop tables to buff profit.

So... How about level 60 gear (including Dragon) be added to the drop tables of monsters that can be killed by people with level 50 gear and levels, but simply be rarer? I think the exclusivity of the drops is the problem here.

A system where a player with level 50 combat skills could kill a bunch of one monster, thereby even training up to level 60 by the time they possibly got the drops, would make a lot of sense. The hypothetical monsters in question don't even have to drop, say, Dragon armor. They could drop a degradable level 60 equivalent so that Dragon armor is still better for looks, status, and non-degradation. The armor could even come in pieces, so that it's more reliable that they could receive all of the pieces before or by the time they reach the level to use it. Throw in incentives for killing those targets on Slayer assignment and you've got low-mid level update gold!

2dgucz6.png

we already have degradable dragon gear

nobody wants it

As super rare drops from higher level mosnters

• Like 1

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Seems like an asinine comment, considering Corrupt Dragon degrades to nothing after only 30 minutes, meaning it obviously isn't for any sort of practical use, and that while Dragon is the biggest example, the kind of system I proposed isn't limited to just one tier.

Short idea sweet: That someone can build the equipment they'll need while training to be able to use it.

2dgucz6.png

i would prefer it to be just untradable

dragon gear doesn't require any kind of motivation to choose it over such a proposed system because dragon gear is already distributed in such a backwards fashion and has had so many various other backwards things done with it that any kind of value it once had as gear is either entirely ignored or has been lost, so that there is zero reason to have to protect it while gimping a system that will actually fix the issues

we don't need two eocs, we need something that actually works, and we don't have to care about something that's broken beyond actual redemption

• Like 2

8f14270694.jpg