Invention Discussion

Urza285

I am creating this thread in response to this post made by Mod Kelpie. This thread should also be used as a repository for all upcoming inventor information, blog, news posts, etc.

Invention – What to Expect

If you’ve been following Invention, you might be wondering whether it’s a skill or not. It was announced as a skill in a Player Power poll, before we talked about breaking it up into smaller chunks at Runefest, making it an addition to multiple existing skills. There has been very little information since, and we want to change that.

First things first: Invention has not died or been forgotten. In fact, things have been accelerating in the past month. We’ve settled on what parts we intend to keep, and how it slots into our release calendar.

The biggest thing we want to answer is the skill question: is Invention a skill or not? Over several meetings, we have unanimously agreed that Invention should not be a new skill. We firmly believe that it should be an update across several skills, introducing rewards and training methods to high-level bands (80-99).

We have come to this decision after starting completely afresh with the Invention design, forming a list of what we intend Invention to achieve:

1. To see players using, wielding and wearing a greater variety of items

2. To provide a greater variety of items, to allow for more strategy when choosing what to use

3. Players should feel a greater bond between themselves and their items

4. Players should be able to manufacture items for themselves

5. Players should have a greater ability to personalise their appearance and items

As we discussed these points, it became clear that we were creating benefits for high-levels. For example: the bulletpoint ‘To see players using, wielding and wearing a greater variety of items’ is there because, at the highest levels in the game, a player will only use a few optimal items if they want to be efficient or successful. As a counterpoint, lower levels will tend to level-up quickly and regularly, often changing their loadout in a single play session. The greatest benefit of an array of items to choose from, therefore, is for the higher level players.

The same is true of the other bulletpoints. For example: ‘Players should be able to manufacture items for themselves’. Players currently have little reason to make any items for themselves in the higher-level game, whether they are combat or non-combat items, and consequentially don’t feel a great sense of pride in what they make. Part of this is an issue with how Smithing, Crafting and other manufacturing skills work (something we plan to address in future content), but realistically it’s much easier to buy the gear you need, which doesn’t forge a bond between player and item. Invention would provide benefits to items manufactured by the player. Perhaps, we could even allow high-level players to level-up, grow or evolve items they have made.

But, if we make Invention a skill, we will not be focusing on high-levels. Instead, we will have to spread our focus across all levels, from 1 to 99. We would be ensuring that there is content at low levels as well as high, and we would need to spend time and resource on engaging methods for training that skill. Bluntly, we would not be focusing our efforts and resources on what made us want to make Invention in the first place.

There are other benefits of making Invention a cross-skill update. We want the player to feel like they are a pioneer, meshing together some of the most advanced technologies in the game: Dorgeshuun’s electricity, Keldagrim’s gunpowder, Divination’s energy and many others. Thematically, we want Invention to feel like a player is accumulating knowledge to make things that no one has ever made before. It feels like a culmination of all of the player’s efforts, rather than the efforts of someone just starting out. Thematically, Invention better suits higher levels.

Invention also doesn’t feel as new or impactful as a standalone skill – not in the same way that Dungeoneering or Summoning did. It overlaps thematically with Crafting and Smithing. It’s important to note that, even though we’re not releasing Invention as a skill, we’re not against making a skill sometime in the future. We simply feel there are better choices for a skill.

We also feel that we can bring a sense of progression to Invention, similar to a skill. While you will not see Invention on your skills tab, we will still design it with unlocks in mind. For example, a max player will not immediately jump into the top-end of Invention and make the best items. They will have to work for it, and will be rewarded for doing so. We might even consider hiscore tables to retain that feeling of chasing first place.

As an update to multiple skills, aspects of Invention can also be released earlier. Dungeoneering took over a year to develop, Summoning almost ten months. We can start work on Invention earlier and focus on getting you some of the core components within a shorter period of time. By reducing the size of the update, but not sacrificing its appeal, we can be sure that we’ll get you Invention updates within a year.

But what might Invention include? You can expect blogs, livestreams and polls over the coming months on that very subject. We’re also planning to release a Player Power poll next week. We’ll want you to tell us which avenue of Invention excites you the most. We’ve certainly got big ideas for each of these options:

Non-combat Inventions – Create inventions that fine-tune your tools and give you new methods of non-combat training.

Customisable appearance – Personalize the look of your gear

Fine-tuned stats – Create a greater degree of variety within YOUR equipment stats and player abilities.

Level stuff up – Level up things other than yourself - like weapons, gear or followers.

We’ve laid out our thoughts, and now we want to hear yours. We’re eager to hear your feedback, so make sure that you post your thoughts on this thread.

Thank you

The RuneScape Team

FAQ

This list will grow as we come across more questions. Pop back if you want to read more about Invention.

Invention was intended to be a partner skill with Divination. Is that still the case? Doesn’t releasing Invention as a skill update devalue Divination?

The relationship between Invention and Divination hasn’t changed. Divination still produces the raw material (Divination energy) that Invention will use in large quantities. Invention simply won’t be doing this as a skill. We’re expecting Invention items to be top-end and hugely desirable, so you can be sure that your Divination energy will have a great deal of use.

Why not poll the decision to make Invention a skill?

When we started doing Player Power, we resolved to only include options in our polls that we firmly believed in. Everything we put out for public vote would be high quality stuff. We would not poll any options if an alternative option was – in our opinion – far more beneficial to the game. This is the case with Invention. We can achieve so much more, if Invention is an addition to a number of skills, rather than a skill by itself.

When can we expect Invention?

We are expecting to start work on some aspects of Invention in the Summer, ready for a launch towards the end of this year. We will constantly review the other aspects of Invention, compare them to other potential projects and prioritise them based on the value they bring to the game.

Wasn’t it called Inventor?

We’ve referred to the update as Invention and Inventor over the years, and this is the time to definitively choose between them! We prefer Invention and have chosen that for the name.

Wasn’t an item sink one of your goals for Inventor?

We have already mentioned in a previous question that Divination energy would be used in large quantities, but we would also add equipment sinks so that we do not devalue or replace existing monster equipment drops.

Will you be reworking older production skills at the same time, as you’ve discussed over the last few years?

Later this year we plan to allow you to vote for what the next XL+ project will be. Reworking some older skills will likely be an option. We can only work on so many large projects at a time and so far we have valued other big projects above these.

Thank you

The RuneScape Team

• Like 1

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

To me, ideally Invention would be kind of like a catch all like dungeoneering, but instead of constantly discouraging people from playing it until they're maxed, low level invention items should be things that are very useful for low level players that are the culmination of low level skill/combat training, and as they level up, they can take these useful items and continuously upgrade them until they're hulking monsters of/extremely efficient tools that grow with their user. You would feed these tools excess items from training other skills to hone their characteristics/increase the growth cap, and you would get perks from using those things over time as your understanding of how to make it better or use it more effectively grows with experience.

It would be a combination of things you wouldn't be able to trade because they're customized for your use, and consumables which create weird new ways of doing things.

As it is, such a system would not necessarily require an actual skill, since you could just track growth by the items you make instead, sort of like how the PoH aquarium isn't necessarily a skill in of itself, but a thing that grows like a skill.

8f14270694.jpg

i would largely suspect that helrings faction sink and the inventor concept will strongly tie together. That would seem like an undeniably string suit there. I mean you got the faction sink providing a lot of lore background and a baseboard for inspiring ideas. You could have so many inventor ideas inspired soley from just each factions perspective on how to live.

• Like 1

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

there can also be a tie in with factions strongly desiring some of these newer invention products to get a leg up on the competition

My point exactly... They could even tie it in with quests.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

i would largely suspect that helrings faction sink and the inventor concept will strongly tie together. That would seem like an undeniably string suit there. I mean you got the faction sink providing a lot of lore background and a baseboard for inspiring ideas. You could have so many inventor ideas inspired soley from just each factions perspective on how to live.

Interesting idea, and wouldn't be sorry to tie my idea in with it. We'll see how their plans go.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Interesting idea, and wouldn't be sorry to tie my idea in with it. We'll see how their plans go.

making a longstanding piece of content centered around sinking items would be miraculous for runescape. Imagine all those rune plates, barrows items and such could be fed to your mechanations.

For example level up my familiar:

Want to level up your baby steel titan? Well, then feed him to make him stronger! No... Not baby food - steel plates! The catch is you can't just feed him and he's magically Arnold Panzernager. You have to pump some iron errr... Steel. When you feed your familiar it gains potential experience that it must burn off and us. This experience is used when your familiar attacks which progresses your familiar to the next level.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

It sounds like you want to turn RuneScape into Pokemon. Which not need be a bad thing :P.

A good idea would be something like the mobile game Summoners War. That could work with most if not all skills. You could 'feed' equipment to other equipment giving it the ability to potentially get better stats.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Exactly how would that work though (I'm unfamiliar with that game as well)? Maybe a logarithmic effect as you chip in more and more lower level armor with random chance on top of it?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Exactly how would that work though (I'm unfamiliar with that game as well)? Maybe a logarithmic effect as you chip in more and more lower level armor with random chance on top of it?

Like this:

L1

> L2

L1

> L3 \

L1

> L2

L1

L1

> L2

L1

> L3 - L4

L1

> L2

L1

/

L1

> L2

L1

> L3

L1

> L2

L1

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I don't consider myself a dumb person, but that post made me feel significantly less smart :(. I don't quite understand :P. It could be just because I've never played much in the way of those mobile type games though.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Like this:

L1

> L2

L1

> L3 \

L1

> L2

L1

L1

> L2

L1

> L3 - L4

L1

> L2

L1

/

L1

> L2

L1

> L3

L1

> L2

L1

You're gonna have to explain what that diagram means; it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Lol sorry when typing it out it shows spaces, but when posting it removes them.

Basically its this:

You need 2 level 1 items for a level two item. To get a level three item you need three level two items. To get a level four item you need four level three items.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

As long as I don't have to high alch Araxxi fangs due to this update, I'll be happy.

Edit: I'd also be down with grinding up expensive crap to make a paste. This paste could be used in non PVP areas to glue weapons together on a temporary basis. Once glued you would right click select the combat style.

In truth I really just want to be able to afk tribridding at DKs. That's all.

• Like 1

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Still want a [bleep]ing bowsword

Knowing Jagex, the bowsword will involve Korasi's Sword, DarkBows, and ONLY Bandos/Zammy hilts. You will combine them by taking the Korasi Sword to every rune Altar and have it in your inventory as you make 1,000 of each rune. This way the sword will be magical.

Once done, you go to as far as south as possible in the Spirit Realm while wielding all the items (which means running through wildy with em first) and you must use the Cook Pie and Disruption Shield spell. This will make the sword bow more livid.

Then you must collect 100 Black Salamanders while having those items still in your inventory (you can use Magical notepaper to note the Salamanders). Once those are all caught you will need to grind them into a paste, and use a Super Guthix Rest's Brew on it, while wearing Mortanyia legs 4. This will make the developer team who created Mort Legs 4 not get fired.

Finally, you add all those ingredients together, and you have the bow sword.

Here is some concept art:

gLUk9.jpg

Please keep in mind this is a work in progress. There are talks of involving a requirement to wield full naval from Trouble Brewing while grinding the paste. We may instead use the rewards from the Nexus, once we here at Jagex finally beat it to find out what the rewards are.

edit: goddamn i made a lot of typos. #record

Edited by Saru Inc

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Bow-sword

WE ALREADY HAVE ONE M8

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Here at Jagex we are well aware of the items we make. That bow sword will be released as a F2P item, because F2P are important to us.

A USABLE BOWSWORD YOU KNOW GODDAMN WELL WHAT I MEAN

Wait what's wrong with this one?

gLUk9.jpg

• Like 2

You can't see it, because the textures are only at 128x128. We need to wait for the 512x512 textures to come out!

• Like 2

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum