What in your opinion is the worst skill in RuneScape and why?

Unlike the time when I made a similar thread asking about monsters, I won't be surprised this time if majority of people disagree with my thoughts. After all, I don't play the game the same way almost everyone else does. I play it mainly to fight monsters and make things out of their raw material, while almost everyone else does it to get all their skills as high as possible.

Anyway, back to the main subject of this thread. What to you is the worst skill in RuneScape? And why do you hate it?

As for me I'm going with farming. The fact that I have to wait a day to get items from just a few seeds really frustates me, and I still don't understand why it can't be immediate like with every other skill in the game.

Since there is no point in waiting over a year to be able to use 1,000 seeds, I either just sell them or high alch them. Yes, they don't high alch for much but I don't care. I have more than enough nature runes in bank.

For me the worst skill is firemaking because it doesn't actually DO anything really.

Whether you enjoy them or not or bypassing them by buying supplies or not all the other ones at least do or provide something useful and progress to give more variety or more useful things.

Firemaking be you level 1 or 99 you can make a fire and a fire isn't even that useful in Runescape.

Also I'd question you reason on farming because you by no means have to wait a day to use a few seeds - trees are the slowest and the majority of them are 14-16 hours grow time (which isn't that bad since they are just for xp really and irl trees take years to grow) all the 'normal' things range from a few minutes to maybe 2 hours. In terms of useful stuff to grow herbs are the big cash cow of farming and they take 80 minutes to grow.

Plus the reason it isn't immediate is quite simple - farming takes time. If you go outside and swing an axe at a tree or cast a fishing line or mine a rock you immediately get something, if you go outside and stick some seeds in the ground your gonna be waiting months for them to actually grow into something. Plus its not like to train farming you sit there all the time, you do a farm run that takes only a couple of mins then go do whatever esle you want go do another farm run a while later and get massive chunks of xp or profitable herbs or w/e.

Also even if it did take a day for stuff to grow it wouldn't take over a year to use 1,000 seeds -  1000 seeds split between 7 plots (the number of tree plots) is 143 - 1,000 seeds split between 8 plots (the number of allotments) is 125 and they take 5 (maybe 3? been a while) seeds to even plant. About the only seed type that would take over is spirit trees or elder tress since they are like 3 day grow time and have very small number of plots.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

For me the worst skill is firemaking because it doesn't actually DO anything really.

Whether you enjoy them or not or bypassing them by buying supplies or not all the other ones at least do or provide something useful and progress to give more variety or more useful things.

Firemaking be you level 1 or 99 you can make a fire and a fire isn't even that useful in Runescape.

Also I'd question you reason on farming because you by no means have to wait a day to use a few seeds - trees are the slowest and the majority of them are 14-16 hours grow time (which isn't that bad since they are just for xp really and irl trees take years to grow) all the 'normal' things range from a few minutes to maybe 2 hours. In terms of useful stuff to grow herbs are the big cash cow of farming and they take 80 minutes to grow.

Plus the reason it isn't immediate is quite simple - farming takes time. If you go outside and swing an axe at a tree or cast a fishing line or mine a rock you immediately get something, if you go outside and stick some seeds in the ground your gonna be waiting months for them to actually grow into something. Plus its not like to train farming you sit there all the time, you do a farm run that takes only a couple of mins then go do whatever esle you want go do another farm run a while later and get massive chunks of xp or profitable herbs or w/e.

Also even if it did take a day for stuff to grow it wouldn't take over a year to use 1,000 seeds -  1000 seeds split between 7 plots (the number of tree plots) is 143 - 1,000 seeds split between 8 plots (the number of allotments) is 125 and they take 5 (maybe 3? been a while) seeds to even plant. About the only seed type that would take over is spirit trees or elder tress since they are like 3 day grow time and have very small number of plots.

Well the thing about it is, after I'm done fighting the monsters on my monsters to fight list, I like to train one non-combat skill at a time, and stick to that, but I can't really do that with farming.

While training Smithing I also train mining, while training cooking I also train fishing.

The fact that I have to do something else while waiting for my seeds to grow makes the skill boring to me. I'm not denying that it is rewarding. I just don't find the skill fun, that's all.

if that case all you really need to do is pick a skill that goes with farming. like hey i want to grow this maple tree so that i can use it logs to do some fire making, while i wait for my other plants to grow so i can use them to make me some food on the logs i just cut. 

id pick probably the same as sy for essentially the same reason

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

For me the worst skill in dungeoneering. I mean, what the hell is the point of that skill? It's more like a mini-game! I hate it so much, so so much.. I prefer Agility to Dungeoneering; that's how much I hate it.

What use does it REALLY have? The skill itself, not the rewards from tokens. I just don't see the point of being in a dungeon, running around clearing it out.  <_<

• Like 1

L8vABnV.gif

"Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud"

uPMa5XA.gif2OzAFSr.gif

[spoiler=RS Stats]Leah_Lkn.png

For me the worst skill in dungeoneering. I mean, what the hell is the point of that skill? It's more like a mini-game! I hate it so much, so so much.. I prefer Agility to Dungeoneering; that's how much I hate it.

What use does it REALLY have? The skill itself, not the rewards from tokens. I just don't see the point of being in a dungeon, running around clearing it out.  <_<

I completely agree, I also hate how everything there looks ugly in comparison to everything outside Daemonheim.

I gotta agree with LKN on this one.. 

The rewards you get for it, and the motions needed to complete it make it seem way more like a mini-game rather than an actual skill.. 

• Like 1

I gotta agree with LKN on this one.. 

The rewards you get for it, and the motions needed to complete it make it seem way more like a mini-game rather than an actual skill.. 

And not to mention most of the recourse dungeons aren't even worth it. They are just added areas with more amount of monsters that already are in that area.

If an area is too crowded and you can't fight a monster in that area, the solution is simple. Switch to a more empty world, it works for me every time.

For me the worst skill is construction. I mean, what the hell is the point of that skill? It's more like a mini-game! I hate it so much, so so much.. I prefer Agility to Construction; that's how much I hate it.

What use does it REALLY have? The skill itself, not the rewards from rooms. I just don't see the point of being in a house, repeatedly building and destroying furniture.  <_<

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Construction by far. While it does have some uses (Altar, armor stand), it's so damn tedious to train, it's ridiculous. I'm baffled that Jagex thought this was the best idea to train the skill at the time.

Best skill is easily Dungeoneering. It's the only skill in the game that actually requires some form of skill to be good at. And the rewards were revolutionary at the time.

• Like 1

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

For me it'd be woodcutting. It seems to take forever and doesn't really have a practical use to it.

Someone mentioned firemaking, but I think fm is more useful.

If combined with damage reduction, firemaking boost  can actually be useful at warbands.

Though people tend not to use it, firemaking gives a 4.6% hp boost(past level 90). though not significant on its own,

my wbs gear(mask of gloom and royal) give 18.24% reduction to pvp damage, my aegis aura gives a 10% reduction, and my prayers(assuming that I've not been sniped) reduce damage by 50%.

the final damage is reduced down to is 0.5*0.8176*0.9, which is 36.8%. assuming prayers arent on then its 73.6%.

I usually use gorajian mushrooms for tanking pkers, and here's where higher lifepoints come in.

gorajian mushrooms reduce damage raken per hit by 4% of your total lifepoints. for me that's 9900, and with a bonfire boost that's 10355 each hit for the next 10 seconds where I eat the mushroom, my damage recieved per hit is reduced by 414. When the damage I receive is less than 414, I am healed for the difference. from this, when combined with the damage reduction, the minimum hit required to deal damage to me when the mushroom effect is active and

protection prayers active is:

414/0.368, which is 1125

without prayers active is:

414/0.736, which is 562

Construction by far. While it does have some uses (Altar, armor stand), it's so damn tedious to train, it's ridiculous. I'm baffled that Jagex thought this was the best idea to train the skill at the time.

Best skill is easily Dungeoneering. It's the only skill in the game that actually requires some form of skill to be good at. And the rewards were revolutionary at the time.

So far three skills that were on my worst skills list are mentioned in this thread, glad to know I'm not the only one who hates construction, firemaking and dungeoneering.

For me it'd be woodcutting. It seems to take forever and doesn't really have a practical use to it.

Someone mentioned firemaking, but I think fm is more useful.

If combined with damage reduction, firemaking boost  can actually be useful at warbands.

Though people tend not to use it, firemaking gives a 4.6% hp boost(past level 90). though not significant on its own,

my wbs gear(mask of gloom and royal) give 18.24% reduction to pvp damage, my aegis aura gives a 10% reduction, and my prayers(assuming that I've not been sniped) reduce damage by 50%.

the final damage is reduced down to is 0.5*0.8176*0.9, which is 36.8%. assuming prayers arent on then its 73.6%.

I usually use gorajian mushrooms for tanking pkers, and here's where higher lifepoints come in.

gorajian mushrooms reduce damage raken per hit by 4% of your total lifepoints. for me that's 9900, and with a bonfire boost that's 10355 each hit for the next 10 seconds where I eat the mushroom, my damage recieved per hit is reduced by 414. When the damage I receive is less than 414, I am healed for the difference. from this, when combined with the damage reduction, the minimum hit required to deal damage to me when the mushroom effect is active and

protection prayers active is:

414/0.368, which is 1125

without prayers active is:

414/0.736, which is 562

If you burn all the logs you chop, I would agree that skill is awful. However, you have no excuse not to use fletching if you're a member.

You can make a bunch of bows with the logs you get from woodcutting. Sure you don't make as much money as you would from smithing, but it's still a lot.

When I woodcut, I usually make bows out of the logs I get. So should everyone else, it gets you money as well.

Problem is that if you fletch them you either have a full inv of unstrung bows, or usually end up with a loss of some kind and a stack of shafts.

Then you'd have to bank if making the bows was your choice.

I'd rather cut ivys if I had to deal with either crappy fletch xp rates and a loss or banking unstrung bows every 28 logs.

Thing is, its not a very rewarding skill even when maxed.

Nor is construction, I guess, but it was useful at some point when I needed to repair weapons.

Farming is pretty nice at high levels, earning some relatively stable income from growing herbs.

Agility requires too much attention for me, but guess it does have its uses, though limited.

Problem is that if you fletch them you either have a full inv of unstrung bows, or usually end up with a loss of some kind and a stack of shafts.

I'd rather cut ivys if I had to deal with either crappy fletch xp rates and a loss or banking unstrung bows every 28 logs.

I don't see how it's difficult to make bowstrings and put them in a bank. You can make 300 bowstrings in less than an hour. Since it takes no time at all to make them in Shilo Village.

As for it not being rewarding, dude, eventually you will get the ability to make rune arrows. They might not be worth a lot at the grand exchange, but when you actually high alch them you can get a good amonut of money for them.

Rune arrowheads are worth less than the high alchemy value of the finished product, and since feathers and shafts are easy to get on your own, you don't have to worry about paying too much to make them.

Why not make bowstrings in Lumbridge instead of Shilo Village? The spinning wheel there is much, much closer to a bank.

Where in Lumbrige can you actually get flaxes?

We have banks for a reason. You don't have to do every step at the same place. Collect the flax in lletya for example where the flax is only couple steps away from the bank.

I don't see how it's difficult to make bowstrings and put them in a bank. You can make 300 bowstrings in less than an hour. Since it takes no time at all to make them in Shilo Village.

As for it not being rewarding, dude, eventually you will get the ability to make rune arrows. They might not be worth a lot at the grand exchange, but when you actually high alch them you can get a good amonut of money for them.

Rune arrowheads are worth less than the high alchemy value of the finished product, and since feathers and shafts are easy to get on your own, you don't have to worry about paying too much to make them.

nature rune is worth 179gp, rune arrowheads 190gp, arrow shaft 8 gp, feather 15gp. In total the materials to make 1 rune arrow are worth 392 gp

rune arrow alchs for 306 gp. Everytime you alch one you lose 86 gp.

Oddish_Diy.png

Oddish_Diy.png

Oddish_Diy.png

slayer

I shouldn't feel obligated to kill the same crap over and over and over and over again. It also has very little benefits.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

nature rune is worth 179gp, rune arrowheads 190gp, arrow shaft 8 gp, feather 15gp. In total the materials to make 1 rune arrow are worth 392 gp

rune arrow alchs for 306 gp. Everytime you alch one you lose 86 gp.

Didn't you read the entire post? You don't need to buy everything. I clearly said you can get the shafts and feathers easily without having to pay anything. Regular logs are cut from trees you can get everywhere, and feather can easily be got by killing chickens, which again can be found in a lot of places. You don't lose profit if you gain some of the stuff yourself.

So no you don't "lose" 86 gp, I already told you that you can get the rest of the material very easily. You get about 116 coins each time if you only buy rune arrowheads, granted that's not a lot, but it's still something.

Also buying all the material is a bad idea to begin with, in any skill, since you do lose money by doing that. If you really wanna gain money from making stuff, you have to get the material yourself, and it's very simple.

Also, if you're worried about nature runes, well, it's called being prepared. I have plenty of nature runes in my bank (over 30K) that I bought a long time ago. I did make some, I did get some from monsters, I am willing to admit I did pay for most of them at some point. But that was a long time ago. Buying more nature runes than you need is exactly what makes them last for long. It's been over 4 years and I'm nowhere near out of nature runes.

slayer

I shouldn't feel obligated to kill the same crap over and over and over and over again. It also has very little benefits.

It is true since rune boots, abyssal whips and the rest of the items pretty much are now worth the same as the high alchemy value.

I personally find the skill fun, but I see where you're coming from.

For me it's definitely dungeoneering.
I got my L120 master cape a few weeks back but I'm never ever ever gonna do one more floor, I'm not even gonna bother to do the diary.
Dungeoneering is fast xp, gives decent rewards (the skill scrolls, chaotics etc are deffo worth it) but the fact Jagex decided to turn a minigame into a skill was a real bummer for me.
It even made me take a 20month break back in the days. I longed so hard for the new skill and when they released dg I was very sad.
The rest is ok imo, deffo since Jagex has made alot of the skilling more barable (for example agility with new course + agil pillars @Priff) etc...

Divination for example is a 'real' Runescape skill. Slow, boring BUT usefull :)

• Like 1

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

I got my L120 master cape a few weeks back but I'm never ever ever gonna do one more floor, I'm not even gonna bother to do the diary.

Dungeoneering is fast xp, gives decent rewards (the skill scrolls, chaotics etc are deffo worth it) but the fact Jagex decided to turn a minigame into a skill was a real bummer for me.

It even made me take a 20month break back in the days. I longed so hard for the new skill and when they released dg I was very sad.

The rest is ok imo, deffo since Jagex has made alot of the skilling more barable (for example agility with new course + agil pillars @Priff) etc...

Well, everybody seems to agree that dungeoneering sucks, and so far I haven't seen anybody trying to defend the skill. I'm so happy so many agree with me on that.

@blaze it's a loss because you're burning what you've gained.

In your sense, you haven't really made a loss from the start of playing runescape, since they were from your gained items. But if you do decide to do something like taking all that time to make a rune arrow and then alch it, why not just sell the rune arrow and buy something more profitable to alch?

It's the same reason that you don't buy a phat and alch it for money

I'd have to go with firemaking (even though at one time it was my favorite skill and my first 99) The reason firemaking is a skill back in the day was due to lack of cooking ranges. So they had firemaking as a skill so people could do cooking, which went in hand with fishing. Made sense at the time, but is very much obsolete now and days. 

Also while I see your point on farming, I found that to be a cool part about it. It's something that took time. While I did grind out 99 farming back in 2011 it was still something I did between barrow runs or after I did treasure trials. I found it relaxing and enjoyable because it was something I didn't have to work on because it took time for stuff to grows. To each their own.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

So because a skill is fast and exciting, it's not a 'real' Runescape skill? Lol.

You yourself said dungeoneering was useful and boring to you, so that'd make it a real Runescape skill!

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Well, everybody seems to agree that dungeoneering sucks, and so far I haven't seen anybody trying to defend the skill.

Best skill is easily Dungeoneering.

on that note, construction. cool concept upon release but it's degenerated into the least updated skill and is just hell to train.

ruins.png De_Elite_One.png

Inefficiency = fun. That's objective and can't be debated. Ever.

Blog to 200m in all skills.

Max cape achieved November 5th, 2011.

Completionist cape achieved December 29th, 2011.

Final Boss title achieved December 28th, 2014.

Trimmed completionist cape achieved November 7th, 2015.