andrew gower and his financial money making ways

Iv_Green_vI

100+ servers running non stop with the ammount of space and bandwith they would use?

try thounsands per month PER SERVER.

1k per server per month, its hardly much considering how much cash they bring in monthly\yearly

Clean_Staker.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100+ servers running non stop with the ammount of space and bandwith they would use?

try thounsands per month PER SERVER.

1k per server per month, its hardly much considering how much cash they bring in monthly\yearly

That's it you think?

Obviously they're gonna have other servers too with backup and stuff, and to host the forums and all the stats and what not. But if it's only 1k a month, then that's not bad (but it's prob more)

youre way off:P look @ the staff list + they have over 600k members

Yes, over 600k members. 5 bucks a month. Someone do the math, because my calculator just broke.

Over 3.6 million... every month. :shock:

And he puts money back in the game. His updates are frequent and top quality. He spends a ton of money on staff. He never raises his prices. He supports player querries, and supports a game forum. He listens to the feedback of millions of players.. and acts on it. His development staff is huge. Hes dumping money back into the game, and its paying off by growth thats hard to believe.

This guy is my hero.

Can you imagine being a multi millionaire off of a computer game? That you invented? Thats as cool as runescape?

how do i look at the staff list?

Iv Green vI.png

hawtzo5.png

honestly that guy is a ledgend. raking in 2.5m (pounds??) a month. thats 30m a year :shock: i'm presuming thats no profit though. if thats pounds that 75mAU a year which sounds absurd lol.

Edit: just realised its US lol. thats still 40.8m AU FREAK :shock:

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"

Yes, over 600k members. 5 bucks a month. Someone do the math, because my calculator just broke.

And he puts money back in the game. His updates are frequent and top quality. He spends a ton of money on staff. He never raises his prices. He supports player querries, and supports a game forum. He listens to the feedback of millions of players.. and acts on it. His development staff is huge. Hes dumping money back into the game, and its paying off by growth thats hard to believe.

This guy is my hero.

Can you imagine being a multi millionaire off of a computer game? That you invented? Thats as cool as runescape?

how do i look at the staff list?

Go to the forums, its on there. Heres a pic of it:

jagexmods5cc.png

Taken from http://www.jagex.com, under Jagex Credits. Here is your staff list.

Jagex Ltd

Development Team

Lead Developer

Andrew G

Senior Content Designer

Paul G

Head of Content

Mark O

Senior Technical Developer

Graham B

Upload Manager

Ashleigh B

Content Team

Anthony W

Chihiro Y

Christopher J

Dylan C

Henrique O

Ian G

Isobel H

Greg V

James B

John A

Liam P

Marion C

Simon S

Tim C

Tytn H

Uwe B

Mini Games

Ben D

Peter T

Tom de R

Head of Graphics

Anthony A

Graphics Team

Dan B

Damian C

James W

Joe R

John S

Linh N

Matthew M

Nick F

Neil R

Paul B

Rasmus K H

Stephen R

Tom W

Music and Sounds

Ian T

Tools Development

Nick T

Head of Web Systems

Chris S

Web Systems Team

Andrew H

Carl C

Duncan M

Francois K

Ian D

James C B

Jonathan L

Michael G

Rob B

Tom P

Head of Quality Assurance

Daniel G

Quality Assurance

Adam D

Andrew C

Benjamin L

Kevin D

Francis B

Martin I

Head of Web Content

Chris M

Web Content

Andrew K

Chris L

Nishal K

Publishing Team

Commercial Director

Constant T

Commercial Assistant

Donna O

Operations Manager

Daniel C

Human Resources

Emma N

Kerry N

Rebekah T

Office Assistant / IT

Steven F

Lex M

Head of Customer Relations

Kelvin P

Billing Support Unit Leader

Rob S

Billing Support

Holger G

Stuart C

Training and Development Manager

Richard B

Community Management Unit Leader

Jay A

Community Management

Alex M

Dan H

David I

Donal P

Emma

Ian H

James C

Laura

Mark R

Melvin B

Paul M

Peter I

Simon C

Walter D-J

Warren S

Snapshot Ban Appeal Team Unit Leader

Daniel H

Snapshot and Ban Appeal Team

Adam D

David G

George A

Jon F

Kevin S

Nicholas H

Peter F

Robert K

Ross M

Sudeep B

Terry S

Customer Support Unit Leaders

Andrew D

Andrew R

Phil T

Customer Support

Aaron R

Alex E

Ashley H

Benjamin S

Ben W

Brian K

Chris N

Chris R

Christoph V

Daniel C

Daryl B

David S

Emilee M

Fabian C

Farooq R

Francesco G

Fraser P

Gary W

Gesine P

Gillan M

Graeme N

Guy V

Ian W

James D

Jay V

Jenny T

Jesse B

Joey W

John K

Jonathon L

Jonathon R

Kaiyan E

Kayleigh O

Mark H

Mark L

Matt T

Matthew B

Matthew G

Matthew L

Matt K

Neil D

Niall W

Nick C

Peter McD

Philip C

Priya W

Ramey M

Richard A

Robert M

Ross M

Ruth S

Samir A

Sarah J

Simon J

Simon P

Soeren H

Stephen F

Sukh K

Tarquin U

Tim T

Tom M-J

Upload Manager

Ashleigh B

??????

just sit back and relax till it's monday to upload the update! :lol: i want that job :shock:

Semi - retired, playing WoW

Combat lvl: 103 | Total lvl: 1542

Goals: | Fletching lvl: 97/[b:05c6bf8

Upload Manager

Ashleigh B

??????

just sit back and relax till it's monday to upload the update! :lol: i want that job :shock:

ROFL I imagine him sitting behind his desk with only a clock and a big red button on it. Completely stressed out, continuesly watching the clock to push the big red "update" button on time. High risk for burn-out :wink:

paintdry6yn.png

forceny5.png

Haven't played RuneScape since 12 january 2007 and it feels great :)

Upload Manager

Ashleigh B

??????

ROFL I imagine him sitting behind his desk with only a clock and a big red button on it. Completely stressed out, continuesly watching the clock to push the big red "update" button on time. High risk for burn-out :wink:

but... a copple of mill peeps will get mad if you do it wrong...

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

This guy is my hero.

And yet every month people whine about the updates being pointless and boring :roll:

Thank you for stating this, I think these exact same things whenever people complain.

Especially the price of membership being $5 since the start of p2p (not sure on this, only been around rs for a year and a half). Consider what you paid $5 for when p2p just started, was it worth it? Probably was.

Consider what you pay $5 for today... game content has increased tenfold and even the older areas are being updated (graphically). Even if the game wasn't updated every week simple inflation should have raised the price of membership, but it was never raised.

I think this is the greatest accomplishment of Andrew, because not giving in to greed and raising the membership costs, even though he has every right to do so, keeps a lot of people playing and creates an influx of new members.

paintdry6yn.png

forceny5.png

Haven't played RuneScape since 12 january 2007 and it feels great :)

Jagex does not just rune runescape! They own other small games too but runescape of course is the biggest. They run a free demo forever (f2p) and support loads of stuff. Andrew isn't making as much as you think but he is walkin around with a nice large sum of cash.

This guy is my hero.

Try WoW. Over 6M players x $15 per month = 90M. A lil' under 1.1 BILLION dollars per year. (Not counting any expenses.)

Kostyaf.png

Try WoW. Over 6M players x $15 per month = 90M. A lil' under 1.1 BILLION dollars per year. (Not counting any expenses.)

Where did you get 6M players from?

Don't forget a lot of players also quit playing all the time so they cancel their membership. There is probably only like 1 Mill players that actually constantly subscribed. Right now a lot of players say that WoW has a horrible community also and a lot of players are quiting and don't like WoW.

And even at 15Mill a month majority of that money goes to pay for the staff and other costs such as servers, internet, office space, server space, maintanence.

And other parts of the profit end up going to the companies owners and stuff. It still ain't bad money though.

Just think of membership price fee as, 50% goes into paying the costs(Everything from paying the crew to servers to rent to bills and maintaining servers and maybe another 10% or 20% perhaps would also go for reinvesting into the game, the rest goes into someones pocket (usually the creator/creators of the game who split the profits)

Servers cost way more to keep in business and they also cost a hell of money to purchase (if you buy them).

I would even say Andrew has some nice tad of debt in banks.

His income is IMHO just some normal one, 20-30k a year.

sigbanksupportqd1.gif

My view on this is.

It does not matter how you look at it, Because we all know Jagex corp is sitting on a gold mine. Sense they are the 4th most played online game.

#1: World of Warcraft (PC)

#2: Counter-Strike: Source (PC)

#3: Final Fantasy XI (PS2)

#4: RuneScape (WEB) <-----

#5: GunBound (PC)

#6: Ragnarok Online (PC)

#7: EverQuest (PC)

#8: Maple Story (PC)

#9: Guild Wars (PC)

#10: Gunz The Duel (PC)

sig3ya5.jpg

First place Winner of Nick 6464 F2P custom contest.

He should share his income with us. :P After seeing him flame on that tip.it times topic we know he reads these forums. I'd rather he just tell us, then we can stop guessing.

Could you tell me which topic please? I'm quite interested :)

edit: did you mean this one?

http://tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=10

and this one?

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=340 ... &start=105

This guy is my hero.

I noticed a few problems. Hes not the company CEO so hew probably making quite a bit but not as much as these estimates. That doesn't include employee salaries. Oh and as cool as rs? It was done twenty-five years ago, its called galaga. (probably wasn't as good in profits thoguh)

Pm me if you need anything proof-read, I may not be very good, but I am always willing to help.

A Seal Clubber is me!

A Oxygenarin is me!

6*9=42

This guy is my hero.

Rofl this has got to be sum of the funniest stuff I heard in a long time. Andrew doesnt support player queries, he pays his staff to do it, and they are slack and pathetic at it *points to all the senseless bannings that have happened as of late*. Andrews a good man, but after him, the rest of Jagex are just power/money hungry people. :roll:

This guy is my hero.

Rofl this has got to be sum of the funniest stuff I heard in a long time. Andrew doesnt support player queries, he pays his staff to do it, and they are slack and pathetic at it *points to all the senseless bannings that have happened as of late*. Andrews a good man, but after him, the rest of Jagex are just power/money hungry people. :roll:

Interesting first post torn souljah, but consider this:

1) To say that "Andrew doesn't support player queries" should be stating the obvious given how many players the game now supports.

2) To blanket all of customer support as "slack and pathetic" is quite some statement without anything to back it up. I'll come to your point about senseless bannings next

3) "Senseless Bannings" (1) are not the function of customer support. Added to this, one of the major complaints on this forum up until January (ish) was the number of autoers that were ruining the game - IMHO some sort of mass ban was required to resolve this situation

4) "Senseless Bannings" (2) Without knowing exactly what you're referring to I'm inferring quite a bit, but from examples I have seen on forums (established characters being banned for seemingly innocuous offences) I do have a lot of sympathy - I'g personally be gutted if I lost my account and hadn't breached any rule. I believe this is one area that customer support/ban appeals team needs to improve upon, but I'm sure that following mass bans, mass appeals are likely - hopefully therefore the situation will improve once this backlog has been resolved. Auto-replies to ban appeals IMO are unacceptable.

5) "Andrews [sic] a good man but...." I don't know him personally, I doubt that you do either, but the company is presumably being run in the manner in which he wishes (assumption based upon his position as CEO). Aside from charitable organisations most companies primary targets are around money-making (or revenue and profits to put it more accurately) therefore they wish to continue providing a service for which people are happy to pay money ergo it is in their best interests to try and resolve customer complaints.

6) My extra 2 cents: In addition to all of the above, I would fear for what sort of requests/complaints etc come through the mailboxes of Jagex customer support; imagine the sort of requests you get in game, i use an example from just last night:

"Can you take me to Varrock?",

"Err, You're in Varrock"

"F U N00b"

I'd lay decent money that more than one "phr33 st00f pl0x" request has made it into customer support...

*puts soapbox away for now* :wink:

Mordendravid.png