Locked Account? Passwords Leaked? - Main Discussion Thread

ForsakenMage

There is no way this is a coincidence. My friend has also had his account locked, and he doesn't have the same password on both sites either.

Where did you get this information that Jagex only locked the accounts of people with the same password?

I worded that poorly.

I mean that you are not part of that particular group that's being focused on (the group that has the same password). So yes, there is a way that this is coincidental. People get their accounts locked on other days and times too.

Try to recover your account if you can.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying, but it doesn't seem like it's doing anything. I am giving them the answer to all 5 security questions (the capitalization may be off, but that's it), my agreement number, my transaction number, and three previous passwords. However, it says that it can't change my password automatically and gives me the tracking number. When I go to track it, the message asks me to send in information (previous passwords the first query, and agreement/transaction numbers the second query), information that I already sent in. So I don't know what to do now. Is there anything else that I can do? Or am I basically screwed.

I'm filling in all the applicable questions on the query form, but nothing is happening. :?

I am trying, but it doesn't seem like it's doing anything. I am giving them the answer to all 5 security questions (the capitalization may be off, but that's it), my agreement number, my transaction number, and three previous passwords. However, it says that it can't change my password automatically and gives me the tracking number. When I go to track it, the message asks me to send in information (previous passwords the first query, and agreement/transaction numbers the second query), information that I already sent in. So I don't know what to do now. Is there anything else that I can do? Or am I basically screwed.

I'm filling in all the applicable questions on the query form, but nothing is happening. :?

Try again in a couple of hours when Jagex staff is up. Maybe the system is overloading cuz so many people are trying to get their accounts unlocked.

I believe their offices open at 9:00AM or 10:00AM UK time, but I could be wrong...

:shock: Dang sure dodged a bullet there cause i used comletely different information for each account. Btw this is going to raise ALOT of questions from people who got accounts locked and such. Just happy that my accounts not blocked. :o

Oh ya i forgot, tip.it made it on Runescapes main news page. I read the runescape security alert and never thought tip.it would be responsible.Well good call by them to lock accounts i think. :?

Currently:whacking noobs with rubber chicken

F2p and 52 prayer :-P

^^^^ Awesome Video ^^^^

Just outta curiosity on the runescape warning update, it said passwords have been leaked out for some time from the site that was breached?? Whats up with that?

Well that means if you used the same password for tip.it and runescape, then your runescape account got locked for security purposes.I believe everything is explained in the first post.

Currently:whacking noobs with rubber chicken

F2p and 52 prayer :-P

^^^^ Awesome Video ^^^^

Just outta curiosity on the runescape warning update, it said passwords have been leaked out for some time from the site that was breached?? Whats up with that?

Well that means if you used the same password for tip.it and runescape, then your runescape account got locked for security purposes.I believe everything is explained in the first post.

You must not have read what I wrote. I asked what was up where they had said passwords were leaked for some tiime. As in some time meaning more then this recent occasion..

I have a number of comments on this. I don't suppose anyone will read them this far down the thread, but ah well.

Firstly - the password "database" that may have been stolen, would have been md5 encrypted. Which means that it still has to be brute forced to get anything from it. So if you use a secure password (with numbers, other caracters, captials and lowercase) then most likely it'd take far too long to brute force, so it's all good.

Secondly, if you're using a different password for all your logins in different sites (as you should be) then there's no problem.

Thirdly, connections to this site are not protected by SSL (eg. https://) so with relative ease, anyone can spy on the data you send to and from the website. So you're really placing too much importance on this database. This is a runescape fansite forum, not an online bank.

Tip.it and Jagex both reccomend you use secure passwords and don't re-use them accross sites, so really you've got no excuse if you've been so stupid.

didnt effect me since i dont have the same name:)

If you cant provide a secure site, then dont provide one at all >:(

wow your REALLY rude, dont use there site is you wanna act like that they should ip bann you for being stupid, accident happen, some on just got lucky on the password thing, its not all there fualt so grow up it happens to most runescape fan sites

~Bmms

Excuse me? If it is not their fault then who's is it? Come on now... you need to grow up.

I have a number of comments on this. I don't suppose anyone will read them this far down the thread, but ah well.

Firstly - the password "database" that may have been stolen, would have been md5 encrypted. Which means that it still has to be brute forced to get anything from it. So if you use a secure password (with numbers, other caracters, captials and lowercase) then most likely it'd take far too long to brute force, so it's all good.

Secondly, if you're using a different password for all your logins in different sites (as you should be) then there's no problem.

Thirdly, connections to this site are not protected by SSL (eg. https://) so with relative ease, anyone can spy on the data you send to and from the website. So you're really placing too much importance on this database. This is a runescape fansite forum, not an online bank.

Tip.it and Jagex both reccomend you use secure passwords and don't re-use them accross sites, so really you've got no excuse if you've been so stupid.

And how about me who uses different passwords on each site, and my account is still locked? I also pay money to Jagex. So every day lost is a monetary loss for me. Tip.It staff is solely responsible for this disaster.

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=458890

Dam... My account also locked, and i have last chanced my recos 4 years ago... i hope jagex makes my day and believes my try... i also have troubles with the site, after all password request etc. i cant see any box at all, and pressing the button its says to press, nothing happens different!

And how about me who uses different passwords on each site, and my account is still locked? I also pay money to Jagex. So every day lost is a monetary loss for me. Tip.It staff is solely responsible for this disaster. http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=458890
I have no knowledge about Jagex's locking of accounts, which is why I specifically didn't comment on it.

I was commenting with regard to anyone's fear that their account may have been stolen. That an account may have been locked oughtn't to be an issue, as it will be unlocked soon enough.

I think tip.it and Jagex have done a great job in light of the situation. Suitable action has been taken by both parties.

It shows why you should use a different password for everything. I used a different password here than for any of my rs accounts, which are all different too. Hopefully this will raise points about account security for people who use the same pass, or don't set bank pins or recovery questions. If people just followed the guidelines there wouldn't be such a fuss.

I assume the people complaining about their account being locked would much rather have someone else using it and taking all their stuff...

runemsanta,ishepp.gif

89/99 farming

One thing i didnt understand is, how do jagex know who used the same pass here and there? you sent them a copy of our passes?

And my account was locked yesterday (not due to this tho) and was easily recovered, just fill in as much info as possible like when u started and stuff, how many credit cards you have ever used for it, stuff like that

Hang on... phpBB stores password in MD5 right?... so you are saying that peioples usernames and passwords were available in plain text? How the hell did that happen? I dont see any new exploints on phpbb.com

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12