Skill Guide: Construction

Post any comments/suggestions/corrections for the new Construction guide here.

Guide last updated 25-Aug-2006

Note that the latest and greatest info for each buildable item and room can be found in the Construction Table posted on the Tip.It website at http://www.tip.it/runescape/construction_table.php

The table is sortable by level (so you can see what you are able to make regardless of room), or by room, or filtered by material - it's a very handy tool that should served you well.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

• 3 months later...

I just did some experiments with removing rooms and found a couple things that I think might be useful:

1. When you remove a room, other rooms connected to it aren't automatically deleted.

2. If you remove some rooms and replace them with rooms that have different door configuration, the rooms that were connected to them might become inaccessible. The rooms are still there, but you can't enter them. (It would be cool to have secret passages behind fireplaces, but that's not how the game works. :) )

3. When removing a room, always make sure that your character is facing towards the room you want to remove when the confirmation comes up. It's very easy to accidentally select wrong thing on the menu and end up removing the room on the wrong side of the doorway.

[pokemama edit 9/11: these are correct observations that might be included in the next update. Thanks for experimenting and contributing your results!]

Veziv.png

• 4 months later...

I have an idea which you could put under tips. It is about training construction.

Needed:

- A few glorys (charged) or a glory on the wall.

- A few law runes and air/earth runes.

- An air/earth staff (depends on the runes you brought above).

- Construction needs.

What to do:

1. Wield your staff. Take your law and air runes in inventory. Take your construction needs with you.

2. Teleport to your house. Construct whatever you want.

3. Use your glory to teleport to Edgeville.

4. Bank

5. Repeat 1 - 4

I used this method as you construct. You can take 24 planks each run.

I also did some research.

Butler:

At level 40 you can use the butler. He costs 5000 tho hire. One teleport costs about 375 at maximum. 350 for law runes and 25 for air runes. For 500 you can use 13 teleports. This is 312 planks.

When using the butler you could only use 160 planks for the same price.

Demon servant:

At lvl 50 you can use the demon servant. He costs 10000 to hire. One teleport costs about 375 at maximum. 350 for law runes and 25 for air runes. For 10000 you could buy 26 teleports, which is 624 planks. While for the same price, you could only use 8 inventories with the demon butler, which is 192 planks.

I'm very interested in blackie's post and I need forum user comments.

I've been wondering about butlers versus carrying yourself for a long time. Unfortunately I am not as good with math as I once was, so I'm hoping one or more of you can check this and perhaps simplify it for me (cost per plank using butler versus cost of teleporting runes and/or jewelry while bringing them yourself.) Please PLEASE post if you can shed any light on this!! Thanks so much.

did some research.

Butler:

At level 40 you can use the butler. He costs 5000 tho hire. One teleport costs about 375 at maximum. 350 for law runes and 25 for air runes. For 500 you can use 13 teleports. This is 312 planks.

When using the butler you could only use 160 planks for the same price.

Demon servant:

At lvl 50 you can use the demon servant. He costs 10000 to hire. One teleport costs about 375 at maximum. 350 for law runes and 25 for air runes. For 10000 you could buy 26 teleports, which is 624 planks. While for the same price, you could only use 8 inventories with the demon butler, which is 192 planks.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

I have been comparing the different training methods myself, so have the data available. IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ll try to explain clearly. I will use oak and the normal butler because those are the best to train with. First: ThereÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s a typo in the calculations of Blackie125. Instead of ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅFor 500 you can use 13 teleportsÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

I know of a way that one of my friends has used to gain 70 construction.

What you need:

- A house in rimmington.

- Money in inventory (for butler+converting)

- Hammer

- Saw

- Axe (no need to wield, as you dont need 25 inventory spaces. The demonic butler has only 20 spaces, others even lower.

What you do:

1. Chop oak logs outside of your house. There are 2-3 very convenient oak trees located near your house.

2. Get inside your house and let your butler get planks.

3. Construct with your fresh planks.

4. Repeat 1-3.

This is a good way to train, if you chop your own logs.

• 2 months later...

My way in construction training:

I use the method that several other people talk about since I have level 50 construction till now (over 85):

Cutting oaks at house in Rimmington and demonbutler makes planks...

In inventory to start with: any multiple of 58k gp and house teleport runes

In hand: axe

Around neck: lucky rabbits foot

How:

Tele house, take saw and hammer from workshop, leave house, cut 24 oak logs (Demon butler can take up to 26 but u need gold, axe and saw in inventory)

Go in house in building mode (if your kitchen is just north of your dining room and you dining room just north of your house exit/entrance portal this is the fastest)

Go and ring the bell in dining room

Use oak log on butler...

Go to larder (really close by if you have my layout...) and remove it

By that time the butler is back build and remove (only 3 times as larder takes 8 logs per time.) If the butler gets stuck behind a wall somewhere ring the bell again so you do not lose time.

Leave house, repeat...

250 gp per oak log is the cheapest that you can do with oak logs= 4.166666 gp per exp no other costs included

with this method: 5.035 gp per exp

every time when I have 2 nests or other usefull items from randoms I use glory in house to tele away and use telerunes to come back, this I consider to be free as I will not tele away for worthless things.

When the second item comes in my inventory during cutting oaks I drop the saw from my inventory so that I can still take 24 oak logs.

Then you have 2 choices:

1. send the demon away and tele away with glory or portal (demon will put the 24 planks in your bank, and with only house tele runes and gp in your inventory, u can bring those 24 next time...)

2. send the demon away, quickly get a new saw, when the demon sees that he has too many planks he will keep the 1 plank till you talk to him again, he will also try to follow you around, again the bell can come in handy... (If you are too slow, then you will have to go out of your house or leave building mode to be able to take a saw...)

About 35k exp per hour for construction and 20k woodcut is easily possible :-k

Warning you will get many nests this way. <3:

2100+ total 3rd best skiller ever at 99 combat (maybe the best, highest total below 100 cb)

99 Cook 99 Fletch 99 Woodcut 99 Firemaking 99 Range 99 Mage 99 Thief 99 Fish 99 Agility 99 Mining 99 Runecrafting 99 Hp 99 Slayer 99 Smith 99 Hunt 99 Construction 99 Craft 99 Farming

250 gp per oak log is the cheapest that you can do with oak logs= 4.166666 gp per exp no other costs included

with this method: 5.035 gp per exp

Okay, I never seem to have gotten a straight answer on this one. How many trips does each servant make before asking to be paid? And what does this bring your cost/log to? I'm *hoping* that's what your 5.035gp/xp means, but I hafta ask to be sure. ;-)

And are the number of trips per payday different for the different servants? (yes, I know they carry different amounts, lol)

EDIT: whoops, just found quantumkik's earlier post about the human butler (level 40):

The butler charges 5.000 gp every 8 runs to the bank. He can take a maximum of 20 planks. So each 8 runs he unnotes 160 plank. This method costs (5.000 : 160 = ) 31,25 gp per plank.

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Okay, I never seem to have gotten a straight answer on this one. How many trips does each servant make before asking to be paid? And what does this bring your cost/log to? I'm *hoping* that's what your 5.035gp/xp means, but I hafta ask to be sure. ;-)

And are the number of trips per payday different for the different servants? (yes, I know they carry different amounts, lol)

My demon butler asks for a paycheck every 8 runs, so I'd have to assume that all the butlers ask every 8 actions.

Actions such as Making Tea or other actions the butler can make count towards the 8-action pay-period.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

OK, OK

The demon butler asks 6000 gp per load of 24 oaks = normal price

Every 8 trips he asks another 10000 gp.

So 8 times 6k = 48k + 10k = 58k so that is why I plan ahead and take multiples of 58k...

If you go in with noted oak logs he has to make extra trips to bank...

so take multiples of 68k and the cost per exp = 5.903 gp (about 78 mill to 99...)

My method spends about 65 mill on training to 99 which is 13 mill more then walking towards sawmill and back and walking towards house and back. (ull reach ur 99 construction in less then 20 years :evil: .)

You spend another 13 mill on top of my methode to get to 99, with the noted logs method.

If you do not cut your own logs you spend more money and you lose about 800 nests that would drop if you cut your own oaks...

By the way: picking up planks at barbarian outpost spawn with smithing and mining your own nails, or mining soft clay or mining limestone can get you to 99 construction for almost absolutely free.

The only problem is that you would be 99 years old to reach 99 (just a guess :twisted: :ohnoes: ).

2100+ total 3rd best skiller ever at 99 combat (maybe the best, highest total below 100 cb)

99 Cook 99 Fletch 99 Woodcut 99 Firemaking 99 Range 99 Mage 99 Thief 99 Fish 99 Agility 99 Mining 99 Runecrafting 99 Hp 99 Slayer 99 Smith 99 Hunt 99 Construction 99 Craft 99 Farming

Something completely random I just found out... When attacking an Attack Stone in your games room, if you change combat styles so that you are attacking with a different method (Stab, Slash, Crush), you essentially get a new stone for that style as if that style was actually a second person...

For proof, go in and attack the stone quite a bit down with one method, then switch, making sure that you are using a different style than what you were before, and you should basically get a fresh stone (cracks may still be there, but the hitpoints will be up as well).

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

• 2 weeks later...
Making flatpacks at the workshop bench is considered the fastest way to level up. Flatpacks can be dropped, given to other players or sold in stores - there is no player market except for the very highest level items. Items that can be flatpacked are limited to only the most traditional types of furniture, plus ale barrels. The list of flatpack-able items by hotspot name includes barrels, beds, bookcases, chairs, clocks, dressers, seating (dining room), tables, and wardrobes. Additionally, all costume room items can be flatpacked. If you need a furniture item and do not have the required skill level, consider asking a higher level friend to make it for you.

Flatpacks certainly aren't the fastest way to level up :? For example, if most people choose to flatpack to train, they choose Carved Oak Tables (because oak is cheap, and I believe COT are the best pure-oak-plank piece of flatpackable furniture that you can make). Carved Oak Tables require six planks, so that's a total of 360 xp per table. Now when you're flatpacking, you have to navigate through two option windows, instead of the normal one window when you're building regularly.

Now Oak Doors use ten planks at once, which is 600 xp per door.. so already this is a lot faster, as you can see. But in addition, you navigate through one window instead of two like in flatpacking. Trust me, all that extra clicking adds up!

So given all the components to flatpacking that slow the process down (360 xp per table and two windows to navigate through), I'd argue that flatpacking is 2x slower (or almost) than building regular Oak Doors. Even making Oak Larders (480 xp per larder) is faster. So unless I'm missing some big secret about flatpacking, that sentence should probably be changed. :wall:

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Lol tripsis, not all of us are level 99 rank 32 Construction (nice!)

To make Oak Doors you must be level 74 construction. Most guide readers (including this guide writer!) aren't that far along.

I prefer the larder method myself - and I think after trying flatpacking for a while that the "tearout" step is no hardship (I hate sitting at that darn workbench!) But I also have more than one kitchen, lol.

Will try to add the Door info for high levellers to the tips section in the next revision.

I was just using doors as an example :P Oak Larders are still faster than flatpacking by far. In fact.. building/removing regular Carved Oak Tables is faster than flatpacking them.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I agree with flatpacking, that is the method I use...I make tables that require most planks and then the leftover planks just make a chair flatpacked.

I am currently 65 construction and when I get membs again that is the method I will use till 74 construction.

(just make sure your crafting table is close to the entrance of your house)

jakoster.png

jakoster.png

• 1 month later...

You DO NOT get any exp for making oaks into planks via sawmill

website says i believe 60 exp thats an error no exp is received

EDIT:

The calc. should also get fixed (remove the oak and all other plank options)

i used it and thought it would be good.... and now after finding you dnt get any exp well not so happy... wasted my time getting 10k oaks and saving 2.5 mil for nothing...

[pokemama edit 1 June: Um. *Use* the planks to build stuff in your house. That's where you earn the experience points. This is explained in the beginner's walkthrough at the top of the guide.]

barrowsfranger,Lavijoe.gif

newscapere4.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Tip it:

The construction guide has an error in the heraldic section. It states that a crafting level of 38 is needed to paint a heraldic crest on your shield. The correct level is 43 crafting in order to paint the rune kiteshield. Just passing this along. I was disappointed to find this out. I have a level 40 crafting and thought I could paint my shield.

Thoughtfully yours, Honeys67

[pokemama 18 June: the guide is correct as written. It states "depending upon your crafting skill level (at least 38)" Level 38 is required to paint a helm - the other levels go up from there. The guide also has a link at the top to the Crafting Guide. The Workshop section of our crafting Guide http://tip.it/runescape/?page=crafting_ ... m#workshop lists the level and furniture requirements for each activity requiring Crafting.

We *should* add mention in the Heraldry section that users should reference the crafting guide for more detail, along with a link. Thanks for wanting to help.]

sithbridgeay2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed in the Construction Guide it says that the Buttler will ask for his salary every once in a while.

I have come up with the exact number of trips the butler will take (take item to bank/take item from bank/ take logs to saw mill). The buttler will make seven trips and then on the eigth trip will demand his salary.

Once you pay him or her talk the buttler again to recieve the item(s) they went to get when they asked for the salary.

The items they went to go get before they asked for their salary does not count towards the seven trips.

I tried this with the Demon Buttler in my home a few times and have gotten the same results every time.

Glad to be of help,

War Junky 91

cool_sig1.jpg

Popping in to confirm this for whoever adds it to the guide.

f475e02ecc.png

coolness! Do we know how often the others ask?

I have a cook, guess I could try her (she's not speaking to me atm, hasn't been paid in 7 months lol)

So, basically, your Demon Butler will do 8 bank runs for you if you give him 10k. Has anyone confirmed that this will happen even if you don't get him to take/retrieve his full 26 items? It may be a total item number, as compared to a number of trips.

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

It's a number of trips based on how many actions you ask him to do. For every butler, you get 8 actions before they ask for their salary on the 8th trip. This includes bank runs, tea, and other things like that.

f475e02ecc.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.