Shuriken maybe?

These eastern lands surely couldnt be on the east of runescape though? are the lands east of the river salve supposed to have been deserted by saradomin? I dont think eastern people would appreciate that. lol

i think jagex needs to add some japanese references into Runescape, i mean they have a lot of other cultural references such as arabic and several others, they need japanese or other oriental to make it more balanced, plus they could expand the map at least a bit.

I Came, I Saw, I Ran (the person in the mirror pwns me)

although ninja may have started out as simple people, in the shogun era of japanese history they were mercanaries for different regions, kinda like samurai.

Proof?

I studied the Tokugawa era of Japan and the preceeding shogunates for the better half of a year as my major project for Extension History. I do not recall ever reading anything about ninja who openly hired themselves out as mercenaries, let alone appear as anything OTHER than simple peasants.

Plus if a person using a shruikien was hiding close to the target a well thrown shot could hit in the juggular and kill :P HA!

Your average shuriken weighs no more than 20g. If you are at a range at which you can throw it accurately enough to strike someone's juggular at the correct angle to slice, as well as having enough kinetic energy TO part the skin and vein, then you are better off using a knife, or, better yet, a club.

These eastern lands surely couldnt be on the east of runescape though? are the lands east of the river salve supposed to have been deserted by saradomin? I dont think eastern people would appreciate that. lol

To be honest, I wouldn't care.

i think that a ninjitsu skill would be cool, with katanas, and other ninja weapons, and you could walk around with a ninja weapon but it wouldnt be seeable in game so you could sneak attack ppl in wildy

A katana is not a ninja weapon.

Okay, all of you are taking this too far into creditable history. If you want to make items proved to be bad or wrongly used, we can do that. Let's start with dragon weapons. Supposedly dragon hide was 'as hard as a rock, but as flexible as wool.' If that's the case, then no weapon could be made out of it, only armor. And what about the two-hander? It requires two hands yet they carry it with one on their shoulder. Two handers were broad swords. And if people get so close with arrows, they should be able to penetrate the armor, yet they do the same amount of damage.

So I support shurikens.

Okay, all of you are taking this too far into creditable history. If you want to make items proved to be bad or wrongly used, we can do that. Let's start with dragon weapons. Supposedly dragon hide was 'as hard as a rock, but as flexible as wool.' If that's the case, then no weapon could be made out of it, only armor. And what about the two-hander? It requires two hands yet they carry it with one on their shoulder. Two handers were broad swords. And if people get so close with arrows, they should be able to penetrate the armor, yet they do the same amount of damage.

So I support shurikens.

But Dragonhide was never made into weapons, only armour. Are you talking about the Dragon Weapons? They are made out of an ancient metal called "Dragonite", which the method to smelt this metal has long since being lost.

Shurikens should not be out until Eastern Lands come out.

And as for the problem of "Saradomin" forsaking the "Eastern Lands", that means the lands of "Eastern Gielenor". The people of the East may have very different gods than Gielenor.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

although ninja may have started out as simple people, in the shogun era of japanese history they were mercanaries for different regions, kinda like samurai.

Proof?

I studied the Tokugawa era of Japan and the preceeding shogunates for the better half of a year as my major project for Extension History. I do not recall ever reading anything about ninja who openly hired themselves out as mercenaries, let alone appear as anything OTHER than simple peasants.

Plus if a person using a shruikien was hiding close to the target a well thrown shot could hit in the juggular and kill :P HA!

Your average shuriken weighs no more than 20g. If you are at a range at which you can throw it accurately enough to strike someone's juggular at the correct angle to slice, as well as having enough kinetic energy TO part the skin and vein, then you are better off using a knife, or, better yet, a club.

To be honest, I wouldn't care.

i think that a ninjitsu skill would be cool, with katanas, and other ninja weapons, and you could walk around with a ninja weapon but it wouldnt be seeable in game so you could sneak attack ppl in wildy

A katana is not a ninja weapon.

Well, as to shrukiens being weaker than knives, consider this, Throwing knives are well knives, heavier at one end and also oblong, shrukiens are round, well balanced, and light, and a shrukien could also kill if thrown at the base of the neck, knives can only do damage from one end but throwing knives can do damage from all the way around, they could be thrown straighter and faster than knives and are easier to conceal. Plus who says that items in RuneScape have to be accurate to what really happened in ancient history? Also, This post has gotten WAAY off topic, it went to an addition in a game to historical facts. so in conclusion

BOOYAH[/u]

Some shred of logic and history still has to go in. You simply can't have a wooden club having 10,000 times the damage power of a two handed sword.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

Nobody serious about ranging will use it anyway, we have darts and throwing knives to fill the gap of quick, weak range weapon, we will stick to our MSB. I cant see a small bladed disk thing to do much damage to me at all if im wearing armor, or even leather. Even it was aimed at my neck, which would hurt, this game does not take area damage into consideration, I mean one dragon mace smash to the face would kill you :-k

Retired from runescape

(Banned for bug abusing)

i once had an idea along these lines but didnt post it...basically if they brought out "ninja" and "samurai" items, armour and weapons. there should be quest or something to become either a ninja or a samurai (along the same lines of joining the blackarm gang/phoenix gang) and samurai would get a better bow and ninja would get better darts...as well as other stuff. ive got this all worked out in my head but it doesnt seem to fit in with runescape at the moment...maybe if they brought out a new bit of map which was oriental/eastern based it would be better.

weednbkdq9copyhz4.jpg

Empire Mind:Nbk killed your clan.

NATURAL BORN KILLERS

JUST LIKE THAT

Well, as to shrukiens being weaker than knives, consider this, Throwing knives are well knives, heavier at one end and also oblong

The extra weight on a thrown dagger is an ADVANTAGE. It allows the weapon to focus more force into the point of impact. More damage.

Any competent thrower can and will manage to stick the business end of a thrown knife into you. Also for your information, the balance on a throwing knife is at the fort̮̩̉̉ of the blade, just as it should be for all swords and derivative weapons.

Your point is, well, not a point.

shrukiens are round, well balanced, and light, and a shrukien could also kill if thrown at the base of the neck, knives can only do damage from one end but throwing knives can do damage from all the way around

Round? No. Squarish with sharpened points? Yes. You'll only deal damage if you get one of those points to stick, and even then, you probably wouldn't deal that much. The piddly weight of a shuriken is a disadvantage, since its progress through the air and the resistance offered to it then pretty much removes any advantage you might get from greater arm strength. It is TOO LIGHT to deal comparable damage to a thrown knife.

The fact that it has four points suggests that it's damn hard for something so light to stick in with one sharpened point. That just furthers my argument that it's too light to be thrown as accurately as a dagger.

Again, your argument has no basis in fact.

they could be thrown straighter and faster than knives and are easier to conceal.

Thrown straighter? Try throwing a rock, then a nutshell. There's your comparison.

Easier to conceal? Yeah. That's the point. That's why it's also a weapon designed to distract rather than kill.

Plus who says that items in RuneScape have to be accurate to what really happened in ancient history? Also, This post has gotten WAAY off topic, it went to an addition in a game to historical facts. so in conclusion

BOOYAH[/u]

Of course. Who said that swords have to cut? It's a fantasy game! Let's make them blunt weapons instead. Hey, I want warhammers to decapitate people, because it's a fantasy game and doesn't have to adhere to reality. I want bows to shoot fish, because games don't have to be historically accurate.

Suspension of disbelief. Learn about it. Game developers have to make sure they don't mess with it, otherwise their product becomes ridiculous and unbelievable to the point of discouraging potential customers.

In conclusion, grow an argument. Boo-yah yourself.

Couldn't have said it better, Zonorhc. The last part made me chuckle a bit too.

Although he does have a point: that isn't the point. The main point is should Shurikens be implemented, not whether Shurikens are better than darts or knives.

I might also add that Ninjas of Japan weren't actually as good as the media portrays them. No where in Japanese History has a Ninja succeeded an assassination, or anything at all. They were actually quite incompetent.

The main use of Ninjas was that they dressed as enemy soldiers and creeped into the enemy castle and stir up confusion and chaos. That was their main use in War.

~Toxicologist~

No... They are WAY too ninja for a medieval fantasy... Do us a favor... Go watch your anime shows and play Runescape seperately.

Dingo is funny... hee hee hee

funny, but very correct

truevamopcopynh4.gif

When I Have It, It's the World's. When I Don't Have It, The World Is Mine.

Are you sure he is? Ninjas and Samurais were there during the Middle Ages too, you know. Only the location is different. Besides, JAgeX said there will be Eastern Lands, and there are Arabian stuff and Norse Stuff... so why not Oriental Stuff?

~Toxicologist~

• 5 months later...

I apologise for the comments that i made in this thread because i sound very immature and idiotic...

i agree with Toxicologist about the cultural influences and there is the whole "eastern lands" thing. and some new swords like katanas would be cool, a weapon that is both fast and strong. but yeah i still support the addition of shuriken.

And I think maces were the traditional weapon of the priest as they found the could attack but not with sharp weapons (some weird loophole). In one scene of the Bayeux Tapestry you happily see William's Bishop/Priest smacking someone on the head with it, so thats my theory of why maces give prayer bonuses. I know a bit off topic.

Indeed you are correct. The actual loophole was that priests had taken a vow to never shed any blood, not to refrain from killing people. By bashing someone's skull in with a mace, they are not actually shedding any blood.

Also we would want samurai weaponry. Samurais are the ones that weilded katanas and the like.

resizeofuntitledff4.png

Free to Player fo' life!

99/99 skateboarding :p

why dont you use this awesome thing i like to call common sense. Its done wonders for me, ive never been hacked, scammed or anything like that.

if any thing ninja or samuri is added to the game it will probaly be heavly melle based cos lets facit jagex dont rely do much for rangers, xbows were a farce and compleatly inacurate to there real life counter parts so i belive it will be melle wepons such as nunkucs (sp? does any1 actualy know how to spell that? :-k )

siggykilljoyfulykomppsmg6.jpg

E

Shuriken stronger than throwing knives? Don't make me laugh.

In all their forms, shuriken were never intended as killing weapons. They were, at best, used as distractions when the user needed to make a quick escape or throw someone off-balance while they went in for the kill with a kama or some equivalent inconspicuous weapon.

Remember that ninja were never how they are portrayed in popular culture. They were farmers, artisans, and other sorts of poor people. They used weapons that could be disguised as normal tools. Shuriken were developed from a tool used for prying nails from boards. For use as weapons, the points of the tool - which need not even look like a star - are sharpened so that it sticks to objects when thrown, but it is nigh-impossible for anything as small and light as a shuriken to be able to deal lethal damage to anyone in a straight fight.

If you want to throw one, you need lots of practice to get it to stick. You want to throw two or more at a time, and you're looking at some extreme co-ordination issues. They're far too light to throw effectively at any notable range.

As far as thrown weapons go, daggers are FAR superior to shuriken.

rrrr runescape isnt real life... whips are used for torture not killing now whats worth more? a razor sharp steel sword or a whip... shuriken would be cool though
Your name is "bet you fail", and you're starting a business with your mom? I'm not even going to touch that.....

I don't think it's that good of an idea honestly. Your post reminds me of when I was a lvl 3 idiot and saw an unstrung holy symbol in a shop, I thought it actually was a shuriken that you would be able to throw as a weapon, and it's true, shurikens were used as a distraction, and i read a book that said occasionally it was used with extreme precision to hit the hand of an opponent with a sword so that he wouldn't be able to draw it, then again maybe that's not true