*Official* World Cup thread (Predict the World Cup Final 4)

Iantiger

1) Best Moment of the 2006 World Cup?

The goal scored by Esteban Cambiasso for Argentina against Serbia & Montenegro. So many passes my toes and fingers ran out, and the atmosphere the Argentinian fans created from it was the personification, for a little while, of the World Cup.

2) Worst Moment of the 2006 World Cup?

Holland vs. Portugal/ 3 yellow cards for that Croatian player/ Iran vs. Ukrain.

3) Most Valuable Player?

Gatusso

4) Worst Team?

Togo

5) Best Team?

Italy

6) Early Predictions for the 2010 World Cup? Very Happy (Optional lol.)

Holland

:-w

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Best moment?

The two goals Italy Scored against Germany in the last minutes of extra time.

2) Worst Moments? (For me)

Rooney sending off (I've accepted he deserved it but the whole thing was just embarressing for Britain and Portugal).

3) Most Valuable player?

I'd agree with Phil and say Zidane. Once France entered the knock out stages, it seems that he realised this was his last chance to shine. And shine he has.

4) Worst Team?

I think that Chzech Republic deserve this title.

5) Best Team?

I think that either Germany or Italy deserve this. Both teams played brilliantly and it was pure luck that those two goals went in at the end. That match could have gone either way, but I think Germany have been the best team so far.

6) Prediction for 2010 World Cup?

My honest un-biased opinion is England. We have a lot of young footballers coming up. Wayne Rooney, Aaron Lennon, Theo Wallcot. Even if no other young talent comes up, I believe that those three will mature into excellent footlballers.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

Rooney sending off (I've accepted he deserved it but the whole thing was just embarressing for Britain and Portugal).

Hey it's not embarrassing for us. England yes but not Britain. :wink:

sig2ho7.jpg

The left footed strike by Fabio Grosso in the last two minutes of extra time. (semi finals)

Generally the entire of the match between Portugal and the nederlands.

3) Most Valuable Player?

Cannavaro, and generally the entire of the Italian defence but him especially, great captain aswell.

4) Worst Team?

Saudi Arabia?

5) Best Team?

Italy possibly Germany aswell.

6) Early Predictions for the 2010 World Cup? (Optional lol.)

Brazil, Argentina? No idea really, long way away :P

Oh and for today's match (Germany v Portugal) my prediction for the game is 2-0 to the Germans, I think they have earnt it.

Carvalho (can't spell) getting kicked in the nads :P

Err..can't answer that one :)

3) Most Valuable Player?

Cannavaro has played exceptionally, as always ;), but I reckon Franck Rib̮̩̉̉ry for France has played his socks off.

4) Worst Team?

Performance wise? England.

5) Best Team?

Italy [/bias]

6) Early Predictions for the 2010 World Cup? :D (Optional lol.)

I'd say Italy are looking to dominate for another couple of years. Again, hugely biased, I know. Spain are looking pretty promising, too.

I'm Jake Milroy

Italy, France, Germany, Portugal.

I'm not happy with the people who're putting Portugal over Italy, for the runners up game, I'm sure the ref will be hand picked ;)

Come on Italy!

I'm Jake Milroy

did u see figo and kahn in the end, walking side by side?

sings:" 54, 74, 90, 2010 ja so stimmen wir alle ein. mit dem herz in der hand und der leidenschaft im bein werden wir weltmeister sein!!!" (54, 74, 90, 2010 - sportfreunde stiller)

A draw between Cambiasso's goal for Argentina against Serbia & Montenegro and the finale to the Italy vs. Germany semi-final.

Di Rossi elbowing one of the American players in the face. It was pretty horrible, although I think he's eligible to play in the final.

3) Most Valuable Player?

Cannavaro has been immense for Italy throughout the tournament especially considering he had to contend with his normal defensive partner Nesta being missing for much of the tournament.

Only Zidane has come close, he didnt play well in the early stages and it looked like he was past it. However, he came alive against Spain and has been brilliant ever since, when Zidane is on form France up their game, thats why the battle between Zidane & Gattuso will pretty much decide who wins tommorrow in my opinion.

4) Worst Team?

Theres so many to choose from, Serbia & Montenegro qualified well then got drubbed 6-0. Czech Republic are ranked 2nd best in the world by FIFA but failed to make the 2nd round. England as much as I hate to admit it, had an amazing squad but played dreadfully, got 3 wins 1 draw and 1 defeat but it could have been 2 or even 3 defeats in the group stage.

So Ill give it to any of the above.

5) Best Team?

I think that will be decided on Sunday :wink:

6) Early Predictions for the 2010 World Cup?

Argentina have a lot of good young players (Messi, Tevez, Mascherano etc.) who will be vastly improved by the time the next world cup comes around.

Although since only Brazil have won the world cup outside their own continent and they have quite an old squad (and therefore less chance to win the next world cup) Im going to say an African nation may be in with a chance. Possibly Ghana or Ivory Coast could have a go as they both have good young squads at the moment.

Mark my words! :notalk:

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

^ Pele said an African nation would win the World Cup by 2010...or 2014, anyway, pretty close. And Pele's always right. Always! :-#

EDIT: Take that! 1000 replies! \'

He said by the end of the 20th century, so he was wrong.

Anyway Pele: great footballer but don't listen to what he says. :wink:

sig2ho7.jpg

Anyone else watch the third place game? It wasn't a perfect game for either team, but it was a lot of fun to watch. Three spectacular goals and an own goal. Schweinsteiger = 8-)

And Portugal's Gomes had a beautiful diving header.

I'm not really impressed with Christiano Ronaldo, though. He has the talent, but his inexperience is really obvious. He might grow into an exceptional player, but right now he's just flashy and inconsistent. He gave away the ball trying to pull of a fancy move :-k .

finalsig9wq.gif

He gave away the ball trying to pull of a fancy move :-k .

To be fair that was the only exciting thing that happened in the first half.

sig2ho7.jpg

All righty ill give my answers for this

1) Best Moment

Tie Between: Seeing the Aussies advance, the whole continent could be heard in the States in a collective uproar. Hiddink did a great job with that club and its a shame they didnt get any further. Good job for the Aussies. The other moment, i think, would be the Grosso goal in the 119th and the Del Piero in the 120+1. Shocking goals honestly. No one would have though they would have scored both times that quickly.

2) Worst Moment

The worse moment wasnt really a moment but a whole game. The SLUGFEST that was the Portugal/Netherlands match. Just a dirty dirty game that should have had all referees fired, banned from fifa, and sent to exile in Siberia. With 16 Yellows, 4 reds, it should have been called when things started to get out of hand. Just a horrible HORRIBLE match. and it cost me 25 bucks :/

3) MVP

Zinedine Zidane. In what he says is his last World Cup, this man has put France on his back and carried them into the finals. No other player has done so much for his club than Ziddy (You could argue Klose from Germany here too, but he'll get the golden boot).

4) Worst Team

USA. By far, no comparison to any other team. USA was a laughingstock at this WC. They shouldnt have even shown up. Arena isnt a good coach. Kellers too old. It was just a horrible team this year, and to top it all off, all the media hype here in the States turned out to be a major dissappointment. Just horrible. But i hear Juergen Klinsmann is contemplating coaching USA ;).

5) Best Team

Theres a few to choose from here. Germany for their offensive firepower. Australia for the storyline. France for the balance. Brazil for the dominance. Im not sure if i can choose a "best team" right now. Ill put my best team after the final to see if my opinion changes.

6) Predictions?

2010, South Africa. Im taking Russia xD.

1) Best Moment

Definately Brazil's game with Korea they got to show some magic, no doubt. I also like the fight between Argentina and Mexico. Portugal vs Netherlands was hot.

2) Worst Moment

When Brazil got kicked out by france... That's sick.

3) MVP

Ermm... The best player in definately Robinho from brazil but their coach is mentally challenged and left his in the bench.

4) Worst Team

rofl... USA...

5) Best Team

The winner, or who gets the farthest doesn't really show who's the best. The team's with the most queality are indeed: Brazil, Ivory Coast, Germany , Netherlands and Portugal.

Brazil had the best team since Pele. EVery single player in the team is unique and elite. Sadly the loss was 80% fault of the stupid coach who somewhat can't figure out that Robinho and Cicinho should be full time titulars. The best formation was established vs the Korea game.

I read an interview with Ze Roberto, an experienced midfieldier from the Brazilian team who said even the players were surprised by the coaches judgement. Something weird is there...

6) Predictions?

The final should've been Germany vs POrtugal, since out of the 4 finalists they're the best. Tomorrow, France will get the cup.

sigjoy8pe.png

I SURVIVED THE 111 BUG

If a turtle doesnt have a shell, is it naked or homeless ?

Can't think of anything specific atm :( Night's excitement is still going in me

When Henry dived for a yellow card for Puyol. Beginning of the end for Spain :'(

3) Most Valuable Player?

Zizou hands down.

4) Worst Team?

Portugal.

5) Best Team?

Spain. Just choked again.

6) Early Predictions for the 2010 World Cup? :D (Optional lol.)

Spain. Hopefully, El Nino, Ramos, etc. would ripen up.

1) Best Moment

Really, just the whole cup, and elimination rounds.

2) Worst Moment

Hmm, probably the two goals in Germany-Italy Semifinal. Two goals in the last minute? That's just a disgrace. Besides that the 3 yellows the referee gave to the croation player. And no, the game Portugal-Holland was not horrible. It was a game that will be remembered, even though not in a good way.

3) MVP

Yeah, Zizou.

4) Worst Team

Togo.

5) Best Team

France, Germany, Italy, can't decide here.

6) Predictions? 2010?

If Klinsmann stays, then Germany.

18/22 skills at or better than 60.

1300+ skill total.

Barrows:Torag's Helm x2, Guthan's Helm, Guthan's Warspear, Dharok's Greataxe, died to dharok, Guthan's Platebody, Ahrim's Hood. All in a total of 104 runs.