Tips on getting a new job?

Faux

After my final exam next week, I'm planning to apply for a job. I just turned 16 this April so I just became legal to work then. I've never done this before so I have no idea to where to go after making a resume (yeah, I've made resume before, but for school work only) so I need help >.< I'm planning to work on the closest library or maybe even at a book store.

So how do I start? :)

Intimidation always helps, hehe. Meh, I wouldn't know, since I get employed by local farmers (they pay rather handsomely). Anyhow...well, just look for a wanted ad or something, look presentable at your interview, and hope for the best. You'll come out fine.

I really wouldn't call it an era. It was more of a definitive time period during which dinstinctive characteristics were expressed in similar ways.

Svirnsigscore.gif

Guest GhostRanger
After my final exam next week, I'm planning to apply for a job. I just turned 16 this April so I just became legal to work then. I've never done this before so I have no idea to where to go after making a resume (yeah, I've made resume before, but for school work only) so I need help >.< I'm planning to work on the closest library or maybe even at a book store.

So how do I start? :)

I don't know where you live, but around here, resumes for 16 year olds aren't too common. Especially if it's just a part time job you're looking for.

Just go to somewhere you'd like to work, ask if you can get an application or if they're hiring. Fill it out and turn it back in. Pray for the best.

But once again, it might be different where you live. :?

I don't know where you live, but around here, resumes for 16 year olds aren't too common. Especially if it's just a part time job you're looking for.

Just go to somewhere you'd like to work, ask if you can get an application or if they're hiring. Fill it out and turn it back in. Pray for the best.

But once again, it might be different where you live. :?

My gf got a job recently (damn her :x :P) at Toronto Zoo and she submitted a resume, got an interview, and is gonna have an orientation this Saturday. Most of my friends are summer schooling for new credits, but I know the ones who do have a job submitted resumes. It's pretty common here.

I have a sure fire option of getting a job by working where my mom goes, but I don't wanna do that. People might be too intimidated to boss me around :| So I wanna look around on my own.

Basically around here, you have to request an application for a job. Fill it out, turn it in and you're good.

If you want to make a resume, there are templates in Microsoft Word for such things. :D

3898000bYVcx.png

In Holland it's easy to find a job, if you're young. Ask for an application form at a supermarket or something. Write a letter + CV if you want to work somewere else.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

its a lot harder to get jobs right now because most summer positions are alread taken. You really should have applies earlier. You can still probably get a job but it might be a lot harder.

School doesn't really end until the end of June for most around here so I'm doubting that most positions are taken

Well, I'm not leagal to work, and where I work you wouldn't be leagal anyway :D . But what I did is just told them I would work long hours, low pay, year round. And it worked.

But yeah, I would say just be as imtimadating as possible without being creepy. At a BookStore...Try to look casual, and just hope for the best.

Good Luck,

Rose

Maybe this is where we differ Rose, id rather work for higher pay and less hours ^_^

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Maybe this is where we differ Rose, id rather work for higher pay and less hours ^_^

Wouldn't we all? And as I said, I'm not leagal to work where I do, so me asking for normal pay and normal hours, or higher pay and less hours just wouldn't cut it. They are at risk, they want to get something out of it...:P

Wouldn't we all? And as I said, I'm not leagal to work where I do, so me asking for normal pay and normal hours, or higher pay and less hours just wouldn't cut it. They are at risk, they want to get something out of it...:P

Do they pay you minium wage at least? If they don't they are breakign more than one law :)
sig5235ro7.jpg

Do they pay you minium wage at least? If they don't they are breakign more than one law :)

Of course.

Well this probably isn't the advice you're looking for, but don't sell yourself short. I mean if you know you are worth more than minimum wage, don't settle for it unless you absolutely have to. Might sound kind of full of yourself, but I assure you, you wouldn't be if you keep that attitude when job-searching.

So since you know you need a job but don't know how to go about it, I might suggest looking in the newspaper for job openings, get online and pull up a local search, etc. Also, you might want to ask your parents or their friends if they know of any, because many times you can get better than normal jobs by using connections rather than shooting in the dark. That's how I got my job, and I get paid more than most other people my age, and my job is somewhat fun and I'm getting a lot of useful experience for a future job (i.e., flipping burgers won't be much experience when applying to work for a major corporation, but possibly data input, clerical skills, handling money, those things, might matter.)

Next advice I can offer, make sure you get a job that you can handle. I mean something you won't be totally sick of after a month of working there. My sister has a job selling clothes and she loves it and has been there for maybe 7 months, and she's only 15, and she's not sick of it. Keep this in mind over the selling yourself short bit I mentioned above... Get the job you can handle, even if it pays less, as long as you can somewhat enjoy it. If it's not going to be fun and you know that they pay minimum wage and you can probably go with that, maybe that job wouldn't be your best choice.

Yet another pointer, don't work to make money, work to get experience for the career to make money. Of course the money is a huge plus. But if you work only on the mindset that you're there to make money, you won't enjoy it at all, you will appear greedy on the surface, and it's just a sad way to go about life, although I doubt you'd be like that.

So a bit long but I'm sure it will help some.

peterstretchfn5.gif

Thanks a lot Peter :) How come you lost your modship though? :(

Anyway, I just finished talking to my gf. She asked me if I would like to have my resume submitted by her mom (since she has the connections with the zoo administration) so that I have a chance of working there as well. I'm not hoping for much, but I do want to work there. It would be great if we can work at the same place.

And you're right about the money thing, I'm not that greedy. As long as I get enough, I'm good to go. I already know that I'll probably be receiving the minimum wage anyway :)

I also have friends who work in the library and the Chapters store I want to work at. If the zoo job doesn't cut it, I'll try to aim for one of those two.

Next advice I can offer, make sure you get a job that you can handle. I mean something you won't be totally sick of after a month of working there. My sister has a job selling clothes and she loves it and has been there for maybe 7 months, and she's only 15, and she's not sick of it. Keep this in mind over the selling yourself short bit I mentioned above... Get the job you can handle, even if it pays less, as long as you can somewhat enjoy it. If it's not going to be fun and you know that they pay minimum wage and you can probably go with that, maybe that job wouldn't be your best choice.
I think this is the most important thing about getting a job. I worked at CVS for awhile and hardly had to do anything and got paid pretty well. But it was boring. Now I do physical labor, moving bricks, and other construction type things, get paid minimum wage. But I love the exercise, the people I work with, etc.. and even though I'm working almost ten times as hard as I did at CVS, the days seem to go almost ten times faster.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

Ive been applying to jobs since february and no jobs yet.

I tell you, its easier to find Big Foot in Toronto than a minimum wage job... :x

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

I've been trying since my birthday Oct. 31st, well off and on. No luck yet..I'm going to try the subways (sandwhich shop) in my town, I hear if you print the applications on the internet and bring them in you have a better chance.

I'm not prejudice but if you're white it's hard to get a job in America due to the minority tax they give business's. :(

yoshi161.png

Guest GhostRanger
I'm not prejudice but if you're white it's hard to get a job in America due to the minority tax they give business's. :(

I don't think that's true. It might be easier to get a job if you are a minority (might) but I don't think it's hard for someone who's white to get a job.