anyone who weightlifts out there??

sparky697

Hey guys. I'm a 16 year old kid. I wanted to just tone my arms a bit but thats it. im not skinny, but not super fat. i was told that i should do 30 reps 3 times with hand free-weights of 14 pounds. i can get through it but it gets hard towards the end. am i doing the right thing?

diabl0_915.png

I only really lifted in class and it's the summer now. Every once in awhile I'll go to the Y and lift a little bit.

I normally try and do a weight that makes it so on the very last rep I either can't get it or just barely get it.

I normally try and do a weight that makes it so on the very last rep I either can't get it or just barely get it.

Surely that depends on how many reps you are doing...

I have been told, accurately or inaccurately, that to build strength you need to have enough weight that you can only do 7-10 reps per set and that to lose fat/tone muscles have it so you are able to do 30+ per set.

I've also been told that overdoing it before you're fully grown can cause problems, so watch out at 16.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

I lift a lot. I suggest doing 3 sets of 15 at 10lb and then work your way up to 15 lb and 20 lb(for curl). Do bench, bent rows(bench=pull bent row =push work opposite muscles the same). After every rep do 5 push ups. Do curls, military press, roman chair (for abs), umm....lap pull downs...thats alli can think of atm..oh and squats

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

toneing = low weight high reps

getting bigger = heavy weights, less reps

so if ur just toning ur arms get maby... 5-10lbs each and do about 60x3 a day.

your in highschool? join the football team.

we lift wieghs and run every day during 6th (last) period and it usually runs a little over so thats a good 90min every day.

and during the summer we do 2 hours in the morning of running and lifting.

we dont lift once the practices actually begin but you stay in preatty good shape anyway.

RSN: Bantam222 [105 combat] [1578 total level]

1gp.jpg

Support my quest for 1600 Skill Total!

your in highschool? join the football team.

we lift wieghs and run every day during 6th (last) period and it usually runs a little over so thats a good 90min every day.

and during the summer we do 2 hours in the morning of running and lifting.

we dont lift once the practices actually begin but you stay in preatty good shape anyway.

I'm in high school too, and at my school the wieght room is open to anyone who wants to lift after school. I have my own weights at home so if I want to lift I just head for my basement, but I could never join a team that involves running.. I hate it and I have no stamina.

Hey guys. I'm a 16 year old kid. I wanted to just tone my arms a bit but thats it. im not skinny, but not super fat. i was told that i should do 30 reps 3 times with hand free-weights of 14 pounds. i can get through it but it gets hard towards the end. am i doing the right thing?

wow i just spit my drink out after reading that.

first off a runescape fourm is not the place to get body advice. try http://www.bodybuilding.com or some small community fourms.

2nd, what excercise are you doing, and why such low weight?

3rd, you gotta learn the difference in reps:

30 reps =58-Linda-StepUpsNape.JPG

10reps =huge_muscles_2-782731.jpg

Well I've been waylifting for a while soon. I was very skinny ate like hell but didn't gain any weight. Btw I'm 15. I only do free weights since machines suck. I started 4 meals a day, protein shakes 4 times a day, lots of junk, bazillions of water, and discipline. I lift 2 days, 1 day rest, etc. IDC if its weekends. It takes sacrifice. And trust me i saw change :)

sigjoy8pe.png

I SURVIVED THE 111 BUG

If a turtle doesnt have a shell, is it naked or homeless ?

Flame, NOBODY wants to look like that. Besides, you forgot... That also takes 'roids. And those don't make EVERYTHING bigger... Anyways.

Yeah, for toning your arms and building some mass. I'd suggest doing a couple of lifts, with about 4 or 5 sets of 12-20 reps each. You should be able to do all your sets and reps, but it should be TOUGH to finish the last set. Keep doing more weight to push yourself to get better. Doing more sets with more reps (say like, 5 sets of 15 each) in comparison to more weight with less reps (say, 3 sets of 8) will build more muscle mass, while doing less reps with more weight will help increase total strength more but add less mass.

Here's a few lifts/exercises I'd suggest...

Bicep Curl- You already know that.

Tricep extension- Standing, hold a weight behind your head and lift to above your head. Your upper arm should stay stationary.

Tricep kickback- Stand up, and be at a chair or a bench. For working your right arm, stand on the right side of the bench or chair, put your left knee on the bench or chair, lean forward with your left arm bracing you against the bench/chair. Keep your upper arm about parallel with your torso (basically, against your side) and stationary while you extend your arm out behind you.

Deltoid Flys- These work your arms a bit as well as your shoulders, and those are important too. Hold somewhat lighter weights in both hands and stand up straight. Keeping your elbows straight, raise both arms to each side to about shoulder level so that your body looks like a T when seen from the front or back. Don't raise your arms higher than shoulder level, if you can use a mirror while lifting, that could help. Then, raise your arms out straight in front of you to shoulder level.

Pushups - These'll help with your chest as well as your arms. Mix up how you do them. Somedays, go for a lot of reps. Other times, do them SLOWLY. Say you can normally do 50 pushups in a row. Go down and up slowly so that getting to 10 hurts. Sometimes, try raising your feet up on a stair or box or something. This puts more of your weight on your arms. Another great way to do pushups is a close-grip pushups. Try doing pushups with your hands together, so that your thumbs and pointer fingers are together making a triangle. This also helps your triceps more.

Bench press- You probably know how to do this. It's more for your chest than your arms, but you might want to throw in some anyways if you can.

The other thing is MAKE SURE you eat well and hydrate a lot. If you don't drink enough water, your body won't have the water needed to build muscle mass. So drink lots of water. Also make sure you get plenty of calories so that your body has the nutrients and fuel necessary to build muscle. You don't have to cut out all junk food, but don't overdo it. As for protein, get plenty, but you don't have to guzzle protein shakes to get results.

I was at a clinic where one of KU's nutritionists was speaking, and he suggested drinking one cup of chocolate milk before and after lifting. Apparently it has a good ratio of carbohydrates and protein needed to help build muscle.

Anyways, enjoy, hope this helps you.

The only advice I have for you that hasn't been said is to make sure you get enough protein. In my day I drink a boost nutritional drink which is 15 grams and a protein drink in milk which is 48. Besides meat you can also get a decent amount from peanut butter and milk and some cheeses. I'd shoot for 70-100 grams of protein a day. It's not completely necessary, but it helps a lot.

golden rule=

your minimun intake of calories per day should be your weight in pounds.

100pounds=100grams of proteins a day BY THE LEAST

sigjoy8pe.png

I SURVIVED THE 111 BUG

If a turtle doesnt have a shell, is it naked or homeless ?

If you weighed 200lbs you'd probably die eventually if you were only eating 200 calories a day. It's meant to be near 10x that...

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

I only do low - medium weights on machines. I do ton of non-weight training as well though; push-ups, sit-ups, loads of cardio vascular stuff and sport.

The machine weights I do are 60bl biceps curl, 60bl chest push, 80bl pectoral fly and 140bl worth of pull-ups.

When I started at the gym I was a bit un-fit, not especially strong and on the saggy side of my belt. Now I am very well toned, strong and with a six pack to boot. Sexy

Edit - Does anyone else think that the picture back one page is fake? Looks like one guys shoulders on anothers body. I would never want a body like that, it looks disgusting

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

golden rule=

100pounds=100grams of proteins a day BY THE LEAST

ummm.....what are you smoking? but if you meant grams of protein okay

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

I weightlift 3 times a week for football, these are the basic two kinds of lifting.

Bulking-Heavier weight, less reps-Gets you alot of strength, but not as good looking "beach muscles".

Toning-Less Weight, More Reps-Gets better looking muscles, but not as much strength.(I think...)

A good combination of both will lead to good muscle build, and best if you play sports, such as football and I think baseball. Can help you be agressive in basketball and maybe soccer too.

For example, when i bench press, I'l start at 135 and work up to 185, doing less reps as i go up in weight.

sweatcg6.png