out of control use of copywrite material

thekipinator

there is an out of control use of illegial copywrite material on this site in sigs...its one thing to make something for yourself...but distribution of work of someone else as your own is not art...its infringement and downright pathetic...not to mention illegial

infact it is not illegal, in my opinion you have no idea what you are talking about. for the first part, most of the renders come from specific sites that allow the use of the renders that their users submit, and as no-one here is making profit from anything, there are no royalties to be paid and no infrigment. why do you care anyway??

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"

Also if there was copyright material used on TIF then the mods/admins would remove it, so it can't be as bad as you make it out to be.

-Bloodangel

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I believe by copyrighted materials he means sigs such as:

ronnieflockpremade6ys.gif

(Sorry ronnie, just using as an example, no offence intended, quite like the sig anyway :) )

But I agree with remote:

Alot of images are done by "render" sites who provide these images free and allow them to be used.

As well as this most if not all companies such as game manufactures say use of their images is ok as long as it is not for commercial gain.

Seeing as these sigs aren't giving commercial benefits its ok to use.

hofclan11zd.gif

100+ Combat :: 100+ Members :: 107 Combat Average

-{Click sig to join Heroes of the Future}-

It's a gray area, to be sure. However, since there is an overwhelming ammount of "renders" used here and on other sites, and I've yet to hear somone getting into trouble for it, most people just turn a blind-eye on the subject.

Technically yeah, though, most of it is breaking copywright laws...

IRKAa.jpg

It's a gray area, to be sure. However, since there is an overwhelming ammount of "renders" used here and on other sites, and I've yet to hear somone getting into trouble for it, most people just turn a blind-eye on the subject.

Technically yeah, though, most of it is breaking copywright laws...

Agreed.

thekipinator, for quite a while we did try to fight the use of using these images. This was generaly when the media market was in play because myself and others saw it as wrong to be able to use someone else's art on a fairly badly done background (some of the times) and yet be able to sell it.

It's just runescape cash, yes. But with e-bay that cash does have a face value. Anyways, back onto the point, we did continue and do this for a while. I think we had it fairly good for a bit, but than a few things happened and we just decided not to bother.

Well, right now the market is gone and, honestly, there realy isn't any way for someone to sell a signature like that anyways (Unless they infringe on other rules already put into place). What i'm trying to say is, right now, it seems that all this is doing is just... adding something to the image. I realize that (I personaly) don't like it, and I do find that it is just simply stealing someone else's artwork. However, like GSW said it's gotten too much 'out of control' that realy we couldn't stop it if we wanted to. (well, honestly we could but I think it would hurt this community much more than it'd help).

Overall they realy aren't harming anything right now. I don't like it just as much as others do, but I just don't use them my self.

Also, I think that screenshots from copyrighted games are considered "fair use" and can be allowed.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Those render sites allow us to use their renders #-o

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

Nadril is quite right, okay I use a picture of Johnny Depp in my sig, but number one, he's my favorite actor, number two I obtained the photo from a legal stock site, number three, it's not like my sig is horribly done and it's slapped in there to cover up the horrid background. Now on to bigger things; as Nadril said we did stop it for quite a while, I believe we called it Viva La Revolution, if I'm not mistaken.

As many can see, for those who are left a remember me, my use of these boards has dwindled quite a bit, but as Nadril said we had a good streak. Even myself I hate using renders but for on piece as my sig below I felt like I wanted to, no harm done; considering the way I went about getting the photo. Also people might take you a bit more serious if you were to have spelt "copywrite" correctly, seeing as it is "copyright." Also I hate to be a stickler, but a well formed arguement and not random babbling with hopeless displayed in your syntax and grammar helps immensely.

PS: Nad, get on MSN, I got an idea and I want to run it by you.

halobrsigno0.gif