A new combat skill.

Kashi

I personally am racking my brains for an answer here ...

What could be used as a new combat skill?

In what way could you attack somebody that Jagex hasn't already covered? Or would it be something not used for attack, like prayer? Would it affect pking at all? Of course ... we'd have a whole new breed of pures. New strategies would be developed by the ever resourceful people of RuneScape.

As one person said, a game must evolve not expand in order to survive. A new combat skill truly would be evolving the way RuneScape is played. But the question still is, what would it be?

I want ORIGINAL ANSWERS! People were complaining about a lack of interesting topics after Leesters left, but it doesn't seem to be any better now that he's back. Maybe that's giving Leesters too much credit. :)

This is my attempt at solving the problem. ORIGINAL ANSWERS! And try to add some valid points as to why your idea would make a good combat skill.

Also, would you want it to affect combat lvl? Probably .. but how many lvls in the skill would merit a combat lvl? Would it be 3, like str or atk, 4, like def or hp, or even 5 so it didn't affect lvl much at all.

My greatest ambition is to kill every member of the human race.

crackersapparentlyiu8.png

However I am a realist and therefore know that I probably wont be able to.

idiotacyoa5.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say focus, wisdom, or have a skill based on the 3 gods or advance prayer

shorty2av.gif

Shorty427-96 CB merchanter/skiller banned 6/27/04

The Jakal-109 CB 99 Range/Magic/Fletching, 80 runecrafting.

Kirby1288-101 CB skiller 99 fletching.

More prayers would be good, but I want a whole new skill.

And you didn't really .. describe what the hell you meant by "focus, wisdom ...". What would those skills involve?

idiotacyoa5.png

More prayers would be good, but I want a whole new skill.

And you didn't really .. describe what the hell you meant by "focus, wisdom ...". What would those skills involve?

Those sound like prayer too me.

cyco_1.jpg

Hmm.

Well, this one really stumps me, but I'm going to take a stab at it.

Psyonics perhaps. The way it would work... hmm. Perhaps one would do a quest to learn the skill from a wise master (Like herblore). The trick to not making psyonics to powerful is the psyonics 'spells' (Probably called powers, etc...) will replace the magic page. Instead of runes it will use something else (Or maybe it will just use runes, perhaps different runes like a life rune), and you train it through normal combat. Somehow Jagex would have to make it not be able to boost combat past 126, or some people would be mad, I'm sure.

blackmbnaval,Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

Probably. Are you talking about a new spell list?

Let me repeat to you .. something I read somewhere around here.

How many RS players does it take to change a lightbulb?

5,000. 1 to change the lightbulb, and 4,999 to complain about how it was better before.

idiotacyoa5.png

The only thing I can really think of is taming an animal and making it your pet. Yes, it's similar to summoning, but it's all I can think of right now.

oh. random idea that won't ever happen. Healing skill. You'd have to train it as always, but you'd have to balance healing and attack stats. Either have strong attack stats, weak healing or the other way around, or something in the middle. This would create some people being healers healing the fighters

blizaga57.png

Wow that's a toughy.

Ummm hmm maybe ShafeShifting?

It seems like a sub branch of magic but here me out.

You could shape shift Parts of your body into things that would normaly be used to wear equipment. Instead of a Rune Kite have your arm shape shift into a Shadow Shield.

To level it it would require completion of a quest that says "my son was fooling around with a book he found in the forest, and he transformed his arm into a rusty tube (lol), it would kind of be like rune mysteries quest in that you would go to some smart elderly dude (like sedridor but non wizardish), and he studiest the book and then you go back to the boy and study him and report your findings, then you return and he gives you an amulet of sceptism (translation). To level the skill it would require you to shapeshift different parts of your body WHILE FIGHTING CREATURES. Your shapeshifting can also fail though, meaning it will be like you don't have any armour on (whatever part you tried to shafe shift.) Shapeshifting succesfully gives you the defence or attack bonus/temporary item equiped for a short period of time. As you raise your lvl you will fail less on LOWER LEVEL Spells and eventualy never fail them (like not burning lobs after a certain lvl). Increasing your lvl also gives you more spells. They would require life essence (NOT A RUNE) which can be crafted with a mixture of wcing the life weed and using a knife (crafting not fletching) to shape it into a sphere. You would then charge the sphere/orb at some altar to use it. Higher levels would also let you POWER MORE CHARGES to 1 orb as your lvl increases.

Lvl 1 would give 1 charge meaning with 1 orb you could shapeshift once before the orb breaks. At like lvl 10 you could have 2 charges per orb ect. Some higher level spells might require more than 1 charge too.

Sorry guys, I made this up on the fly so its not really complete.

Looking for someone to teach me how to Armadyl farm - pm me

10,200th Person to Achieve 99 Magic on 1/10/08

Instead of making a whole new skill, why not make construction useful in combat? Here's how I see it:

Instead of blindly rushing an enemy, players could bring forts to protect themselves (at some cost, of course). It would create a market for construction as well as add a new style of combat.

Example:

Level 1 - Clay Fort (3 Soft Clay) Resists 15 hp worth of damage until it collapses. Melee cannot be used from behind the fort. Magic and ranged bonuses are -10 when inside the fort.

Level 7 - Weak Wooden Fort (3 Planks). Resists 30 hp worth of damage until it collapses. Melee cannot be used from behind the fort. Magic and ranged bonuses are -15 when inside the fort.

Level 14 - Iron Fort (5 Iron Bars). Resists 70 hp worth of damage until it collapses. Melee cannot be used from behind the fort. Magic and ranged bonuses are -25 from behind the fort.

Level 21 - Weak Oak Fort (5 Oak Planks). Resists 70 hp worth of damage until it collapses. Melee cannot be used from behind the fort. Magic and ranged bonuses are -20 from behind the fort.

Level 28 - Strong Wooden Fort (10 Planks). Resists 95 hp worth of damage until it collapses. Melee cannot be used from behind the fort. Magic and ranged bonuses are -25 from behind the fort.

Level 35 - Strong Oak Fort (10 Oak Planks). Resists 120 hp worth of damage before it collapses. Halberds, spears, and 2h swords can be used, but with a penalty of -75 slash, crush, and stab. Magic and ranged bonuses are -30 from behind the fort.

Level 42 - Weak Teak Fort (15 Teak Planks). Resists 150 hp worth of damage before it collapses. Halberds, spears, and 2h swords can be used, but with a penalty of -90 slash, crush, and stab. Magic and ranged bonuses are -35 from behind the fort.

Level 49 - Steel Fort (15 Steel Bars). Resists 210 hp worth of damage before it collapses. Halberds, spears, and 2h swords can be used, but with a penalty of -120 slash, crush, and stab. Magic and ranged bonuses are -45 from behind the fort.

Level 56 - Strong Teak Fort (20 Teak Planks). Resists 215 hp worth of damage before it collapses. Halberds, spears, and 2h swords can be used, but with a penalty of -105 slash, crush, and stab. Magic and ranged bonuses are -40 from behind the fort.

Level 63 - Weak Mahogany Fort (20 Mahogany Planks). Resists 250 hp worth of damage before it collapses. Halberds, spears, and 2h swords can be used, but with a penalty of -120 slash, crush, and stab. Magic and ranged bonuses are -45 from behind the fort.

Level 70 - Mithril Fort (25 Mithril Bars). Resists 330 hp worth of damage before it collapses. Halberds, spears, and 2h swords can be used, but with a penalty of -150 slash, crush, and stab. Magic and ranged bonuses are -55 from behind the fort.

Level 77 - Strong Mahogany Fort (25 Mahogany Planks). Resists 330 hp worth of damage before it collapses. Halberds, spears, and 2h swords can be used, but with a penalty of -135 slash, crush, and stab. Magic and ranged bonuses are -50 from behind the fort.

Level 84 - Adamantite Fort (28 Addy Bars). Resists 420 hp worth of damage until it collapses. Halberds, spears, and 2h swords can be used, but with a penalty of -175 slash, crush, and stab. Magic and ranged bonuses are -60 from behind the fort.

Level 91- Rune Fort (28 Rune Bars) - Resists 600 hp worth of damage until it collapses. Halberds, spears, and 2h swords can be used, but with a penalty of -200 slash, crush, and stab. Magic and ranged bonuses are -70 from behind the fort.

5 levels after you can make each fort, you have an option to add an opening to your fort. This reduces the penalties the fort gives to 1/2 of their original amount, but reduces the amount of damage it can withstand by 1/3.

Forts can only be made by using benches and flatpacked. In battle, a spell can be used to unpack it made it usable. Another spell allows it to the flatpacked again for travel.

Unfold Fort Spell - Level 40 Magic - Requires 10 cosmics - Unpacks flatpacked fort in 5 seconds. Cancelled if interrupted. 300 xp.

Fold Fort Spell - Level 50 Magic - Requires 10 cosmics - Packs fort instantaneously. 350 xp.

Speedy Unfold Fort Spell - Level 80 Magic - Requires 15 cosmics - Unpacks fort in 2 seconds. Cancelled if interrupted. 600 xp.

NOTE: Forts are tradeable and only the owner of a fort may pack or unpack the fort. Also, due to Zamorak's love of gore, forts take double damage in the wildy. Also, any attack by an NPC or player directed at a fort will always hit and any person inside a fort cannot move until it is packed. If a person cannot use the spell, they must destroy the fort to exit it. If the forts are used anywhere in TzHaar, they will either burn or melt instantaneously, dealing massive damage to the player.

BTW, mith bars give 30 con xp per one used, addy bars give 45 xp per one used, and rune bars give 75 xp per one used.

What do you think?

70herby.png

Telekinesis 8-) Destory your opponents through their mind

MarkNoZeros.png

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

The only thing I can really think of is taming an animal and making it your pet. Yes, it's similar to summoning, but it's all I can think of right now.

oh. random idea that won't ever happen. Healing skill. You'd have to train it as always, but you'd have to balance healing and attack stats. Either have strong attack stats, weak healing or the other way around, or something in the middle. This would create some people being healers healing the fighters

I think he is a World of Warcraft player lol. Pet Taming= Major part of the Hunter Class, and Healing= Essential to Druids and Preists.

But anyway, back on topic. I know it is not original, but I would still love to see dual-weilding installed into the game, however, this is how I would do it.

-----------------

You make the dual weilding skill, and you level it similar to attack. Whatever damage is done to an enemy with a dual-weilded weapon, gives xp. Each time you level, you gain the ability to weild a stronger weapon, such as lvl 1 is the bronze dagger, 2 is the bronze axe and so on.

Now of course, there are limitations. 2 Handed Weapons can of course not be dual weilded. Neither can bows, DRAGON WEAPONS AND ABBY WHIPS. You don't wanna see dual-weilded DDS, and see 4 straight specials with both of them, and getting 4 hit splashes on an opponent. Having the ability to dual weild Whips and Dragon would be too powerful. The max thing you can weild is Rune.

There is also one more limitation to make it not so owerpowered. Your dual-weilding can only hit half of your normal max hit. For example, if you normal max hit with a Rune Schimmy is 30, then your schimmy you have equipped as a Dual-Weild weapon can only hit a max of 15.

That is how I would love to see Dual-weilding installed into the game.

Wow that's a toughy.

Ummm hmm maybe ShafeShifting?

It seems like a sub branch of magic but here me out.

You could shape shift Parts of your body into things that would normaly be used to wear equipment. Instead of a Rune Kite have your arm shape shift into a Shadow Shield.

To level it it would require completion of a quest that says "my son was fooling around with a book he found in the forest, and he transformed his arm into a rusty tube (lol), it would kind of be like rune mysteries quest in that you would go to some smart elderly dude (like sedridor but non wizardish), and he studiest the book and then you go back to the boy and study him and report your findings, then you return and he gives you an amulet of sceptism (translation). To level the skill it would require you to shapeshift different parts of your body WHILE FIGHTING CREATURES. Your shapeshifting can also fail though, meaning it will be like you don't have any armour on (whatever part you tried to shafe shift.) Shapeshifting succesfully gives you the defence or attack bonus/temporary item equiped for a short period of time. As you raise your lvl you will fail less on LOWER LEVEL Spells and eventualy never fail them (like not burning lobs after a certain lvl). Increasing your lvl also gives you more spells. They would require life essence (NOT A RUNE) which can be crafted with a mixture of wcing the life weed and using a knife (crafting not fletching) to shape it into a sphere. You would then charge the sphere/orb at some altar to use it. Higher levels would also let you POWER MORE CHARGES to 1 orb as your lvl increases.

Lvl 1 would give 1 charge meaning with 1 orb you could shapeshift once before the orb breaks. At like lvl 10 you could have 2 charges per orb ect. Some higher level spells might require more than 1 charge too.

Sorry guys, I made this up on the fly so its not really complete.

Sounds alot like Full Metal Alchemist when Edward turns his arm into a blade. But that's alchemy.

MarkNoZeros.png

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

mabye a skill like telekinisis

use stuff like rocks, skeletons etc to throw around/"bring to life" to attack enemys

like those skeletons everywhere could be flung at enemys then put back

and you could keep stuff at your disposal...like make the stuff fly around you so you could use anything...but them they would just appear back were they were supposed to be...

:thumbsup: throwing rocks that are everywhere in the wildy :thumbsup:

1335752yv6.gif

[]*ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâôÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâè)

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâø.ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâôÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâø.ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷*ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâôÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâè) ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâø.ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷*ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâè)

(ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâø.ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâô (ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâø.ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷*______Now Look Down

The%20Offical%20Pharaoh%20of%20Tip.it.png

Chemistry.

I can't think of any totally new combat related skills, everything seems covered. But with a bit of mix and match, picking some random stuff from quests and gathering it together this could work. You'de able to make offensive weapons of the explosive kind and maybe something else, for instance area afecting poisons or diseases and the like.

The skill could have tie-in a with construction: a better lab would allow for better research, hence better products.

Range would also be a possible connection, as your throwing skill would be relevant on whether you'd hit your target or not.

I think it could be easily separated form Herblore if it was implemented right.

There, you wanted different ideas, that's mine. Happy, crackers?

manytradesur7.png

Current goals: Going for 80 80 80.

Recent goals achieved: 70 70 70 done.

Major Achievement: Fire Cape at 79 combat.

Personally I think agility could possibly be worked into being a combat skill, one that you don't actually train in combat much like prayer. Basically you could have special "dodge" moves that give you a chance of avoiding an enemy's attack, moving quickly behind them and getting a chance for a free hit, although with a chance of failing.

It sounds sort of awkward in the way I'm picturing it to be honest but I think it could be worked into play somehow. Either that or they could have it improve the attack speed of any weapon as it's increased, although not by a great deal but significant enough when you're at high levels.

Agility is one of the skills that needs to be greatly expanded on in my opinion. There's just not enough incentive for most people to train it, hence even the higher level people in the game typically still have quite low agility. It's just not currently rewarding enough...unless you're obsessive like me.

I played oblivion for some time, so let's use some inspiration from that game.

The new skill: stealth!

Players would be able to be undetectable to monsters and others players. Depending on your skill and equipment (full rune does not make you stealthy) a stealthy warrior is able te remain undetected by opponents and uses the advantage of a surpise attack. In wildy you would be invisible on the minimap and harder to see ingame (more transparant or so). Once you reveiled your location either by attacking or using an item, the effects end. The stealth skill also provides bonusses to attack and strength when attacking someone in the back or less bonus when attacking in the side.

I know this will be hard to implement in runescape, but it's the idea that counts :)

phata_elise.png