Need Help On How To Create A Website

Guest TaDaraCampbell

Guest TaDaraCampbell

I first posted this on Yahoo, but they didn't help me at all, they acted like I actually knew what I was doing! I have no idea what I'm doing at all!!!

So, this is what i put in yahoo:

Next year (8th grade) i have to learn how to make a website, so I thought, if someone could tell me here how to make one it would help me greatly, and help me towards a hopefully quite easy A.

I have Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office programs, and I know in some way you have to use those.

Also, if you could tell of how to add ad's so i could make atleast $5 a month (hey, if i can get free membership in the process all the better lol)off the site it would help aswell (my father told me it wouldn't be too hard to make $5 a month), so yes, it would be nice to get $5 a month off of it, I'm unsure if that would be easy or hard to accomplish.

In a lot of the answers they said I needed something called Frontpage I believe, and I searched My Computer for it, but it said that it was in a file called 'bin' so i can only guess someone recycled it.

Remember, I have no idea what im doing, I dont know what HTML is or anything, but I'd like to learn about all of this and be able to make a website by the end of the Summer atleast.

Thank you in advance for all that help me,

~Tad

http://www.htmlgoodies.com

That's where I started with my HTML lessons. I believe I was in 9th grade. I looked through that website, went through their tutorials, and asked for help when I needed it. Just learn, go slowly, and practice!

Ask your dad if he has the CD for frontpage. It is an easy program to work with if you have no previous HTML or website experience :)

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

Making a site for the sake of making a fiver a month just isnt going to work. You have to have good content in order to have good paying ads, and then you have to get people to want the products advertised. Clicking them yourself or getting other people to click them just to make you money will get your account closed and you will lose any funds you make. also be aware most ad companies will want you to get at least $50 before they send you a cheque. They wont just paypal you every month you get some pennies. Also you have to have an actual working website, its against most ad companies TOS to put ads on link pages or unfinished websites.

However, if you really wanna go for it theres a billion HTML tuts on the internet and try and stay away from any WYSIWYG editors because you will get sloppy and never truely learn anything other than "tricking" it into looking a bit similar to how you wanted.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If you have it already, FrontPage is a decent starter program because you can format the text in one pane and then view/edit/write the code in another. If you don't have the CD, I wouldn't run out and spend the $70 on it. There are some free downloadable programs like HTML Editor 1.6.0.61 and you can always use NotePad. (Click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> NotePad)

All in all, I recommend using NotePad as quickly as you can because you'll learn the most by keying it on your own.

When I taught myself, I bought a book and spent time viewing source for tons of of pages online to familiarize myself with the code used to create some of my favorite sites.

Have fun!

Try and stay away from any WYSIWYG editors because you will get sloppy and never truely learn anything other than "tricking" it into looking a bit similar to how you wanted.

I dont think this is a very fair comment. I mean there are some WYSIWYG editors which actually are made for typing in the code yourself. Take Microsoft Interdev for example, with this all you can do is type the code, you have a screen to show you what the code will translate into (the actual page), but you cant edit it. This is how I learnt HTML and some other things, its a very very effective way of learning.

Of course there are other ways of learning. Like use dreamweaver and have a mess around in the design mode, then take a look at the source code. Try and figure out which piece source code releates to which piece of the page.

Editplus has the ability to show what the page will look like by typing in HTML code too. That is NOT a WYSIWYG editor, neither is MS Intradev from your description (ive not seen it). I mean the ones where you drag and drop images into place and use MSWord type option to add headers embold stuff etc.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Like use dreamweaver and have a mess around in the design mode, then take a look at the source code. Try and figure out which piece source code releates to which piece of the page.

Dreamweaver creates a steaming pile of unmaintainable code when you start using it for things you actually need to use and keep updated. I learned this the hard way.

It's all fine and dandy playing around in the design pane, slapping pages together, but once you start learning HTML and how to create maintainable pages (stuff you can actually understand and edit later), it becomes an annoyance. The way it does it's CSS is a bit annoying too.

Playing around with a WYSIWYG editor is good for someone that has zero html and css knowlege, but once you start understanding things, you're better off doing it by hand with a good book or tutorial leading the way.

in a nutshell heres basically what you need to learn:

-HTML

-CSS(not necessary but highly recommended).

-FTP and uploading Skills

-how to host a site

-maybe graphic design/dreamweaver

-microsoft frontpage.

idk what else. but you can always practice using ewisoft.com's website builder. then you can analyze the code and learn from that.

moose67.png

One of the best free programs for compiling and editing HTML sites is HTML-Kit. It's sort of like Dreamweaver, but lacks a few features, but at least it's completely free.

Also, here's another help site to show you the basics of HTML: http://www.idocs.com/tags/

Also it'll cost you a tenner a year for a domain name and about $5 a month for hosting. Most ad companies wont let you put adverts on free webspace.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

One basic decision to start with:

Design based or HTML editor based (unless the idea is to actually "learn HTML").

A wysiwyg design approach, using something like Netobjects Fusion 8 (coverdisked full version on many uk computer mags) or http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/softwa ... efault.asp Webplus 6 free (probably offered a discount version 8 as an alternative).

With those, you are isolated from the HTML, and the final stage of rendering to HTML produces a lump of code that you have no chance of understanding.

http://www.nvu.com/index.php NVU, derived from Netscape Composer, has a two-way code/wysiwyg approach - wysiwyg editing acts directly on the code, mostly in the form of positioned DIVs. Code can also be edited directly.

The final approach is "pure HTML", where the only addition to code editing is wizards that can format elements such as tables.

theres plenty of free hosts out there though... most of them want you to display banners or popups though, however there are several that don't require it.

I beleive you can do some homework at http://www.hostsearch.com

some free hosts won't display banners or charge you any fee's if your site deals with non-profit organizations and stuff like that... so you could make a non-profit organization website, or say your making one *wink* actually that won't work, because unfortunetly people arn't quite that stupid... but yea.

You don't need to emerge from nothing, you don't need to tear away. Hypermedocrity for the win... as long as it looks good and feels good too

Lmao, why does everyone consider microsoft frontpage a skill?

And why is graphics design classed with dream weaver?

just said because that is what i had to use in grade 7 to make a webpage, so i figure that he would probably have to too. he did mention some stuff about MS.

and it isnt a skill, just clicks,and types.

moose67.png

Just learn html and use notepad. MS word is a potential html hazard becuz it tends to change the coding when you save it, even if you set it not to it sometimes does. And DO NOT say you can't learn html cuz I am /*sorry i just remembered i cant say my age */ years old and I learned html 4.01, CSS, and a good understanding of javascript in 1 week! Oh and I have not completed my official web site yet so the one below, is one I made like 3 months ago, b4 html came along to my head. Believe me after you get a hang of html like me now, you can type out a document just as fast as you typed your post.

siggievroom.gif

siggiez.gif

Thank you everybody for rising up against macroing!!!

I learned html 4.01, CSS, and a good understanding of javascript in 1 week!

I love your enthusiasm, but I don't trust someone that supposedly knows HTML and CSS, but can't bother to check their sigs bbcode. :lol:

oopspq6.png

Guest TaDaraCampbell

I understand I must learn HTML.

From there i will use Notepad (unless i can find Frontpage) and test out trying to create basic websites, and learn during this process.

But may I ask what Microsoft Excel is then for? In 7th grade (last year) there were many things we could learn about on a program, one of them were how to create websites, the problem was I never got to truly learn because my computer was not properly equipped with Microsoft Excel, which according to the program I needed, so I ended up somehow passing the course without Excel, but now im left with no idea at all of how to make a website when that was my big chance to learn a year in advance :cry:

The course only brought up Microsoft Excel, nothing about these other programs that every one here is telling me about, so my question is: what is Microsoft Excel for, and could I use that and Notepad to create a website (that is after i learn HTML)?

I understand I must learn HTML.

From there i will use Notepad (unless i can find Frontpage) and test out trying to create basic websites, and learn during this process.

But may I ask what Microsoft Excel is then for? In 7th grade (last year) there were many things we could learn about on a program, one of them were how to create websites, the problem was I never got to truly learn because my computer was not properly equipped with Microsoft Excel, which according to the program I needed, so I ended up somehow passing the course without Excel, but now im left with no idea at all of how to make a website when that was my big chance to learn a year in advance :cry:

The course only brought up Microsoft Excel, nothing about these other programs that every one here is telling me about, so my question is: what is Microsoft Excel for, and could I use that and Notepad to create a website (that is after i learn HTML)?

Excel has raelly no functionality in making a site that a good old table won't do for you. It's spreadsheet software :P People here have listed almost everything you'll need to get a basic website going.

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

Guest GhostRanger
www.htmlgoodies.com

That's where I started with my HTML lessons. I believe I was in 9th grade. I looked through that website, went through their tutorials, and asked for help when I needed it. Just learn, go slowly, and practice!

Ask your dad if he has the CD for frontpage. It is an easy program to work with if you have no previous HTML or website experience :)

Best advice on this thread so if you haven't already checked that site, I'm seconding the opinion and now you really need to check it out.

I started trying to build website in 4th grade; in 6th grade (I think 6th) I stumbled across that website and finally started learning stuff and finally started building actual web pages. If you don't use that site...you'll be sorry. :P

Guest TaDaraCampbell

darn website... making me read... and it's stuff i dont even understand... I'm taking a break and playing runescape lol -.-

Okay I've been brushing up on my HTML, reading through this topic for a couple of days..

I have used HTMLGoodies for about 3 years or so, it got me started and continues to help me. Also http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/ is quite good with what it deals with.

And please use EditPlus, does exactly what it says on the tin, wont bloat your HTML, and it makes you better because you have to know what you are doing to an extent.

Only thing i don't like about HTML, is that it is quite 'artsy' if you go deeper than basic tables etc, and art is not my strong point. Thats why i started learning PHP, successfully, but i found that my webpages were *ugly* #-o . So i'm back, with Adobe Photoshop at my side and im learning through tutorials.

And by all means take breaks, if you're like me you do it for enjoyment and self-better-ment (is that a word?) so doing it while you loathe it won't make it seem very fun.

manipofsarahs1gg5.png

theres something wrong with my account, but i cant fix it. It says bbcode disabled, but I enabled it and it still didn't work. Oh yeah, and by the way, how do you fix it? I've tried for like 1 month now. Also, thats the bbcode the site gave me so it's not my fault, cuz bbcode is stupid I dont need to make post nice and all that stuff. And what did you mean supposedly knows html and css? why the heck would I lie about something you can learn in 2 days? :?:

siggievroom.gif

siggiez.gif

theres something wrong with my account, but i cant fix it. It says bbcode disabled, but I enabled it and it still didn't work. Oh yeah, and by the way, how do you fix it? I've tried for like 1 month now. Also, thats the bbcode the site gave me so it's not my fault, cuz bbcode is stupid I dont need to make post nice and all that stuff. And what did you mean supposedly knows html and css? why the heck would I lie about something you can learn in 2 days? :?:

You can't learn HTML and CSS in 2 days ;)

Not even HTML alone.

The correct BBCode would be imageurlhere

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

dude a few days to memorize Text Stuffies or Text Stuffies? Ok it was 2 days but my comp broke, and it was rainy all day, so all I had to do was watch tv and read up on html and css. It was 3 hours reading each two days. If you still don't believe, try getting a book that is really easy, read it, and see if you memorize it. If you do, that's basicly how I got html and css down. :thumbsup: If not, then i'm sorry to bother you by posting this. Oh yeah, one more thing, I have a test with 100 questions each weak in school, so i'm really good at memorizing stuff after all that memorizing.

siggievroom.gif

siggiez.gif