Pixel Dragon (updated 24-09-06)

dark_shadow

Havn't been doing pixels for ages... usual reasons; school, exams, assignments etc etc.. but now, exams are over! so, i decided to make a new siggeh!

this is the wip;

3wipfk1.png

not sure if any of you have noticed, but i enjoy doing pixel animals and dragons.. so yeah :P the purpose of this thread? to ask for CC and ratings! \' it took me ages to get at least semi-happy with this dragons head... im trying for that "mean" look. have i succeeded? :anxious:

(btw, sorry about the grey line and red text; anti-ripping... im paranoid lol)

so, CC and ratings welcome! also.. ideas for what colour i can do the dragon? red, green, black, blue? purple, pink? lol..

update

ok, new update. continued shading a bit..

6wipvg2.png

im going to shade all of the dragon and then go back and add a more 'dragon like' skin texture (scales) still nowhere near done, still changing some things.

New update: refer to page 2..

turtsigs2.jpeg

Featuring in my sig: TURT, ma pet turdle!

Thanks to- Runemetsa and Aijiru for two of the great sigs!

I'm hoping that i can fix that 2Dness with the shading. I didnt notice that it wasnt 3D looking :P thanks for the cc, ill try to change the lines a bit to make it more 3D

thanks!

-shadow

turtsigs2.jpeg

Excuse me if you take this as rude but personally i dont think that the dragon looks very realistic (if that is the look your going for) and i also think it looks mis-shaped.

I took the liberty (excuse me if you think its rude again, if you want me to i'll delete my post) of doing a 5 min sketch..

3wipfk11ba4.png i did screw up the left (on your right) wing majorly but again i did this rushed...

Things that i can see that i didnt like

- The eyes look very fake

- The body, there is no body

- The Neckline is skewed in an awkward position

- There are several bones in the wing that are conected like joints,while there would be a few the main bone (horizontal one) imo would be a singular bone as it would be far stronger

- Dragon is facing one way, and yet the wings are positioned as though he is facing the other way

- Horns are far too perfect, dragons are rough creatures, they will have chipped bones and teeth (teeth also too perfect)

- You gave the dragon a kind of beart and hair thing, dragons have scales not hair.

Again i am very sorry if this is seen as offencive and if you request it my post will be removed

Black flat

jimihendrixvz9.jpg

no, i dont find it rude, i consider that as CC.

but just a couple of things.. since when could a dragon look realistic? they dont exist :lol: i know what you mean though... that it may not look like most dragons are done..

now, i wont try to contradict what you said, but ill just explain the reasons why i did things to be how they are at the moment :wink:

-The eyes are only temporary to show me roughly where they will be going. that isnt the exact shape that theyll be, so theyll be changed. this is only rough linework

-there is a body, but you just cant see it much while theres only linework. the body goes to teh right side of the signature. its not defined well yet, as its still only linework, but it will be obvious where teh body is when i shade it, add texture etc

-The way i did the head was to make it as if teh dragon was turning its head around, to look behind it. originally, i was going to do a smaller dragon in the foreground, looking back on a ruined city or whatever as if the dragon had just destroyed it. weird, bad idea, but i couldnt do it anyway because the dragon ended up being to large #-o

-if there was a single bone in the wing, it would not be able to bend, and thus the creature wouldnt be able to fly. look at a birds wing; it has many different bones. the "bones" in the wing wont look like that when theyre done, ive got to get rid of some lines, and that area will just end up being shown by texture and shading/darkness alone, not with outlines

-as i said above, the head is facind one waybecause the head is turned around, as if the dragon is looking behind it. thats what it was supposed to be like, anyway :uhh:

-once again, its still linework ::' i'll be adding nicks etc from teh dragons wings as well as the horns, and will probably end up doing one as if its snapped off during a fight or something..

-that wasnt suposed to be a beard :shock: i was trying to make it look like [bleep]es around the jaw. i used some other reference pictures from google, and took ideas from different pictures and modified the ideas. one was to put [bleep]es around the bottom of the jaw line, and the cheek area. ill change that area so it looks more like '[bleep]es' and maybe some dragons 'do' have fur? they may not necissarily have scales. i mean, they dont exist, so its up to the artists impression i spose :o but yeah.. i wasnt going for a 'fur-effect'

as i said, im not trying to throw all that cc back in your face, just justifying what i did :P but ill go through and make a couple of changes based on what you said. most of it i was already planning on changing (such as perfect teeth, horns etc) when i start texturing. this is just the first linework :P so thanks for the cc!

-shadow

this is just a quick pic to show what parts are what on teh drag. any blue is the bg. **NOTE** this is still rough linework; still being changed, and colours arnt going to stay that.. 'bad'

4wipfg4.png

and just for GS... i know its easy for potential rippers to edit the linework to get rid of the grey and red.. but.. lol. cant think of a reason why i still do it, to be honest #-o

3ml6.png

turtsigs2.jpeg

cheers guys!!! you've just gave me better ideas for the dragons that i draw!!!! \' :thumbsup:

that cheek horn is another horn i could draw now :thumbsup:

seriously, if i had my way, my piccys would be photo'ed and on here, cropped up and shown :pray:

ok i would share ideas and colours but its hard so i'll try, yes, rough horns are cool, not too many, joints in wings are great! they are so good! wings are limbs too! not just a bit of bone. frills, hard to explain but i draw frills, with long horns in a fan shape,and skin stretched between, hard to explain, fish have them, but these looks cool for any dragon specially 'water/ice' dragons. ::' google is a place to copy ideas, thats what i done when i was 12 yrs old, copied piccys from good,its cool.

instead of eyebrows or eyelashes, put a ridge of small horns just above the eye and then an even broader ridge with hrons growing slightly bigger towards the back, maybe towards the nose,yet its hard to explain. anyway thats the simplest skills i could explain on the internet,, i'll try to think of more easier options, hope you try em :thumbsup:

black flat, you are wrong in many places my friend...

addymzammyvest,rickster2005.gif

newscape350x19yi5.gif

Excuse me if you take this as rude but personally i dont think that the dragon looks very realistic (if that is the look your going for) and i also think it looks mis-shaped.

umm i don't know if you know this but dragons arn't real....

and if they are could you google an image of a real dragon for me?

Guest XplsvBam
Excuse me if you take this as rude but personally i dont think that the dragon looks very realistic
hehe, If I sigified people you would be it. Dragons aren't real #-o.

Realistic as in.. being a reptile, having horns etc. It doesnt have to be real to look realistic, IE, have good proportions or proper teeth. Not personaly saying it doesn't, but thats what he means.

Broaden the mind.

im getting kinda confused lol... some say it doesnt look realistic, others say it does... :-s ill probably leave teh main part as it is, even if it does look un-realistic.

one thought ive had is to make the wings so they arnt in the air; instead, to make them held up against the dragons sides.. cause the right wing, where it joins the body, looks completly wrong to me but i cant seem to get it right..

ill try to fix that area near the neck in a second, nadril, thanks for pointing that out :D

this is a tiny update... done [bleep]es on the back, horns and the cheek horn thingy.. still have to make them look rough and worn, and add texture to the larger horns. havnt touched anything else yet :anxious:

5xg3.png

also, do you think i should get rid of the little [bleep]es around the dragons cheek? the edge ones?

turtsigs2.jpeg

I ain't a pixel artist but the left side (well the right side of the sig) the neck is.....well it looks like the head and the neck is one big circle. Just saying.....Please don't take personal. I love dragons thats why i like to see them perfected

I think if you continue with the shading you have started it will look quite realistic...

my thoughts exactly, look at the latest update, it looks far better now, and thats just the begining, so let him be, he knows what hes doing, im sure.

looking good, oh and about that right wing (our right) wat id try is making it get thinner towards the body then it joins to a wide bone. thats just me tho.

PJB21

sigpjb2101sigdy6.png

100% my own work, i make my own brushes: set 1 set 2

i hope you mean"leave her be" lol. not "leave him be" :P

im still not sure whether i should make the wings so theyre folded, instead of spread like they are. that way i could actually add a bg like i originally planned, instead of the dragon taking up the ENTIRE signature..

turtsigs2.jpeg

um, yeah, her of corse, er... slip of the tounge, um, key even...

that dragon is rather big, its decision time, either have the dragon as like big central point or make it as small central point ith a cool background, if it helps those wings do look kinda weird...

PJB21

sigpjb2101sigdy6.png

100% my own work, i make my own brushes: set 1 set 2

new update

6wipvg2.png

still shading the dragon, then ill go back and add a scale texture to the dragon to make it look more realistic. havn't done all that much more, been organising things IRL.

turtsigs2.jpeg

new update

6wipvg2.png

still shading the dragon, then ill go back and add a scale texture to the dragon to make it look more realistic. havn't done all that much more, been organising things IRL.

omfg! thats realy god shading on the left wing. but i still think the neck looks a bit 2d :?

go on with the good shading :wink:

~rik

taz3xk1.jpg