Why do scientists believe the Big Bang created the world?

Biabf

How can people prove this God exists? (not by saying stuff like " That sign has a G in, it must be a sign!!!" :shock:
How can you prove this God doesn't exist?

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can people prove this God exists? (not by saying stuff like " That sign has a G in, it must be a sign!!!" :shock:

Mega, you can'y proove a lot of things. That is why it is called a belief. It's just what they think. Do you have proof he doesn't exist (I know, it's the same question above)?

Besides, I'm not a religious nut, and I believe in god. Some religions don't believe in God. They believe in Gods.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Now, putting aside individual respect, religious fanaticism and courtesy, let's make it clear it is ignorant to state in a real debate that the world is 6,000 years old and that's when it was created along with all the things that exist today.

Just radiometric dating alone can prove objects and minerals to be as old as 4.404 billion years old and it is an absolute certainty that many of earth's substances have existed for at least 4.404 billion years.

The isotope 206 of lead has a half life of over 4.5 billion years, hardcore religious people might want to perform research on that one. The isotope 40 of Potassium has a half life of 1.3 billion years and can be found in many rocks today.

In case you still think the Earth is 6,000 years old or whatever your book says, consider reading about radiometric dating. http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/eens211 ... dating.htm

The Universe very well could have been created by a "God", but the thing is...The Bible says nothing about anything that happened before 6,000-ish years ago, thus religious people (hardcore people that won't take anything but the Bible as literal fact) say it's a fact that the world is only 6,000 some years old. It's an undisputed scientific fact that the world is older than 6,000 years old. They say it's 4.5 billion, but even if it isn't that old, we know for sure it's older than 6,000 years. We also know that the Grand Canyon wasn't created by "The Great Flood" :roll:, however, these religious peolpe just completely dismiss it as "not fact" because they take the Bible so literally that it doesn't allow it...They can't even begin to fathom for one second that perhaps, just maybe, if the Bible and science cannot go hand in hand, that it isn't science that is the wrong one.

#-o I've met a hardcore Christian. I felt like I was about to blow up. However, in courtisy I held it in. Worse moment of my life in my opinion.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Now, putting aside individual respect, religious fanaticism and courtesy, let's make it clear it is ignorant to state in a real debate that the world is 6,000 years old and that's when it was created along with all the things that exist today.

Just radiometric dating alone can prove objects and minerals to be as old as 4.404 billion years old and it is an absolute certainty that many of earth's substances have existed for at least 4.404 billion years.

The isotope 206 of lead has a half life of over 4.5 billion years, hardcore religious people might want to perform research on that one. The isotope 40 of Potassium has a half life of 1.3 billion years and can be found in many rocks today.

In case you still think the Earth is 6,000 years old or whatever your book says, consider reading about radiometric dating. http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/eens211 ... dating.htm

Tell that to them. They just say "Nope, sorry, it's been proven wrong. The world is 6,000 years old." They'll be damned if they can site a source, but yea. :lol:

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Guest XplsvBam

Why do people believe in the big bang is a good question.

The big bang is a theory in which there is an infinite amount of mass and energy in a single point. When this point explodes something happend and here we are.

There are alot of flaws with this theory because based on modern physics the big bang was either a black hole or it was in 1 dimensional space. IF it were a black hole then nothing could escape because of the curviture of a black hole. No matter how much energy you have nothing will ever escape (look up big bang on wikipedia).

Another flaw is if its in a 1 dimensional space. Before there was anything there was 1 dimensional space based on this theory, the only problem is mass and energy can't exsist in 1 dimensional space. And how come we live in a 3 dimensional space now? What happend?

The reason why its a theory still is because its flawed, if it wasn't flawed it would be scientific law.

I believe in creation because to me its more logical (my opinion).

Guest GhostRanger
I wouldn't say they're the EXACT same "God", GhostRanger. Christians today follow Jesus just as much, if not more than God himself. Nevermind that's against like, the first commandment, but I would consider it an entire different being if it's like that. That whole "holy trinity" thing.

I don't think Jesus was meant to be worshipped as a God. He was simply a guy with a message. An important guy, if he was he who said to be, but not a man of "God" status. I've even heard people here say that Jesus *IS* God via that whole holy trinity thing or whatever...

You're wrong. The Old Testement constantly refers to the coming Messiah. Read the book of Isaiah (I can't spell...) and you'll know what I'm talking about. It is the exact same God because the Jews were (still are if they're still Jews) waiting for the Messiah to come. Jesus didn't replace God. Quit talking about Christianity - you obviously don't know much about it.

You're wrong. The Old Testement constantly refers to the coming Messiah. Read the book of Isaiah (I can't spell...) and you'll know what I'm talking about. It is the exact same God because the Jews were (still are if they're still Jews) waiting for the Messiah to come. Jesus didn't replace God. Quit talking about Christianity - you obviously don't know much about it.

It still may be the same god, but the idea of it in modern society is much different than that of the Jew's back in early days. The idea's in Christianity and Judaism are quite different, Jesus deffinitly being one of them. Christians belive Jesus is god through the Holy trinity.

Anyways, the point of it doesn't matter that much to his origional point. The fact is is that the ancient romans and greeks had gods to explain the unknown. Our god is the same way, to explain the unknown and to give comfort before death. It may or may not turn out to be real. However, the Roman and Greek gods turned out to be backed by scientific evidence (well, the ideas of their roles, such as lightning in the sky such as Notorious said). It may come a time in our lifetime or our children's lifetime or much after that where we find an answer that disproves god.

However, like I said before I do think religion is a good thing. It gives people comfort of death in a way (for many people it seems that knowing a loved one will go to a better place in death helps them a lot with coping with loses, even if it may or may not be true). As I stated earlier too it does give a good moral background for many others.

Guest GhostRanger

It still may be the same god, but the idea of it in modern society is much different than that of the Jew's back in early days. The idea's in Christianity and Judaism are quite different, Jesus deffinitly being one of them. Christians belive Jesus is god through the Holy trinity.

Anyways, the point of it doesn't matter that much to his origional point. The fact is is that the ancient romans and greeks had gods to explain the unknown. Our god is the same way, to explain the unknown and to give comfort before death. It may or may not turn out to be real. However, the Roman and Greek gods turned out to be backed by scientific evidence (well, the ideas of their roles, such as lightning in the sky such as Notorious said). It may come a time in our lifetime or our children's lifetime or much after that where we find an answer that disproves god.

However, like I said before I do think religion is a good thing. It gives people comfort of death in a way (for many people it seems that knowing a loved one will go to a better place in death helps them a lot with coping with loses, even if it may or may not be true). As I stated earlier too it does give a good moral background for many others.

You're wrong as well. It's the same religion and it's the same God. The point of my faith is that the God I worship is the God that has always been and was the God of Adam, Moses, David, etc.

And you're wrong about the point he was making that I responded to. His point was that the "older" Gods aren't believed in anymore, so what makes the "modern" ones better? My point is that my God is not modern, and you continuously saying it over and over isn't going to make it modern.

Sure, I live thousands and thousands of years ahead of Moses, but I'm still worshipping the same God he was. If you read the Old Testement, it prophecizes of the Messiah coming, which is part of the Holy Trinity. It was always part of the faith, it was just a part that was unfulfilled until it happened. It's not "new," the Old Testement followers were just waiting for it. There are prophecies of the coming of the Messiah all over the Old Testement - there is nothing new about the idea of worshipping Jesus, we just had to wait for him to come.

Seriously, read the Bible and then get back to me.

GhostRanger are you going to say anything about my points? Other than your "modern god" nitpicking :XD:

But seriously, if you have anything to disprove any of my points I would love to hear it, because people seem to be either agreeing with it or ignoring it. <.<

l33tspeak4tk.gif

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid it will never begin.

i wont participate in this science vs religion war this time, although i do enjoy them :thumbsup:

but ill give you something to think about.

what if our universe was created by someone. but not a god like being, a scientist, in another universe far bigger then ours, and our universe is contained in a shoe box.

not saying this is true, just putting it out there. \'

untitled-1.png

Like the title says, why do scientists believe the Big Bang created the world? Do they have any evidence? I do believe in the Big Bang as it sounds more possible than some superhuman clicking his fingers.

To all those that are good at Physics, do scientists have any proof of the Big Bang?

slushee, I am not a scientists, I wanted to know how they thought of the theory.

lol contradicting yourself?, i answered your question and i get flamed, how nice,

skyeatsairplaneph1.jpg

It all comes down to if you want to believe in scientific theories based on proven facts.

Or stories involving someone walking on water, curing people and that theres a "better place" based on a few events which were true, but still had nothing to do with the stories.

The last part after the comma didn't make any sense. But anyways, don't you think, that if someone could walk on water, it would be... the person who created water?

So what makes you think that this "modern god" is real, even though the ancient gods werent? What makes you think years from now science won't be able to prove how the universe was made and everyone will think back and say

"phhhtt, why would people back then believe that rubbish? We know what really happened now"

Because Christianity/Judaism wasn't "created" to explain scientific phenomena. It was created to tell us how to live. Something science can never do.

but oh wait, the bible says the universe was created in 7 (or whatever it is) days.

So they conflict with each other,

"Or whatever it is". Before you start quoting the Bible, read something in it. And no, they do not conflict with each other. I love how everyone thinks the point of the Bible is to explain science, when that is not what it is for. If you read the Bible like a science textbook, you're going to be just as disappointed as if you read a science textbook for relationship advice.

I did some research and found that the religous explanation for dinosaurs was that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time basing their theory on a painting with dinosaurs in it. Which to me, and science, isnt hard backed proof.

Their other theory is that sandstone can form much quicker than other rock, so the layers of rock cannot prove without a doubt the age of the fossils. Yet fossils have been found in rock other than sandstone, and there have been no traces of human fossils.

Those would be religious people in the same boat as you - reading the Bible looking for knowledge it doesn't contain.

So based on religions in the past, someone makes a religion to explain something that science cannot. Or it makes dying easier to go through, because people believe that they are going to a better place.

See above. You know nothing about the Bible, so therefore you know nothing about the point of the Bible.

Its been proven that a man called jesus existed, which is a reason why people believe in it. But it was never proven that he performed all those "mericles." (sp?) I believe that there was a man called jesus, who claimed to be the son of god, but I believe that he wasn't and just thaught he was.

If He thought He was the Son of God, and He was wrong, then He would have to be crazy. Read the Gospels - He definitely wasn't crazy. And of course it has never been scientifically proven that miracles happened. Miracles are supernatural, science only explains the natural. Science will never be able to explain a miracle, that's why they're called "miracles".

I believe that in the future, with the right technologies, science will prove with facts how we got here (and everything else that religions explain), and do to the religions today, exactly what it did to the ancient religions.

Except the religions today aren't trying to explain natural phenomena. Again, see this point repeated 3 times above.

And that is why I believe there is no god, other than in peoples faiths because they want something to believe in. Thats what having a religion is really, faith.

You believe there is no God because religion doesn't explain the creation story? You've really missed the point.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Because Christianity/Judaism wasn't "created" to explain scientific phenomena. It was created to tell us how to live. Something science can never do.

Actually, I'd trust scientific advise on how to life a good and healthy life both physically and mentally any day over some old scripture that told people how to live well 2000 or more years ago. But that's just me.

For example, the Bible does contain lots of good advise and common sense anybody should be able to figure out, such as the 10 commandments. It's not scientific but it's a very respectable (even if not fully practised by even nearly all christians) code of ethics.

Jews worship the same God as christians, but Jews do not believe Jesus to be the messiah. They're still waiting for the messiah. It makes christianity interesting as it is originally based on judaism, yet it worships both Jesus, the son, and God, the father (and in catholicism, even Mary is worshipped though she is not a part of the holy trinity doctrine).

You're wrong as well. It's the same religion and it's the same God. The point of my faith is that the God I worship is the God that has always been and was the God of Adam, Moses, David, etc.

And you're wrong about the point he was making that I responded to. His point was that the "older" Gods aren't believed in anymore, so what makes the "modern" ones better? My point is that my God is not modern, and you continuously saying it over and over isn't going to make it modern.

Sure, I live thousands and thousands of years ahead of Moses, but I'm still worshipping the same God he was. If you read the Old Testement, it prophecizes of the Messiah coming, which is part of the Holy Trinity. It was always part of the faith, it was just a part that was unfulfilled until it happened. It's not "new," the Old Testement followers were just waiting for it. There are prophecies of the coming of the Messiah all over the Old Testement - there is nothing new about the idea of worshipping Jesus, we just had to wait for him to come.

Seriously, read the Bible and then get back to me.

Ok, first off i'm just going to get away from the entire modern/ancient whatever deal. It doesn't really have much relavence.

The point he is getting across are that the roman and greek god's have both been "disaproved" due to science figuring out the reason.

Either way, the "god isn't modern" part of the discusion wasn't even the main point, but you seem to simply be ignoring it.

So, do answer this at least. Like notorious and I have said, the roman/greek gods have been proved "false" because they are no longer the actual causes behind certain events. What makes you so sure that our God may someday be disproven as well, that science may find an answer to the question?

It all comes down to if you want to believe in scientific theories based on proven facts.

Or stories involving someone walking on water, curing people and that theres a "better place" based on a few events which were true, but still had nothing to do with the stories.

The last part after the comma didn't make any sense. But anyways, don't you think, that if someone could walk on water, it would be... the person who created water?

well, a bug can "walk" on the water. i'm still pretty sure that bugs didn't create water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pond_Skaters

if you could move your legs really fast, you could too.

http://godisimaginary.com/

Actually, I'd trust scientific advise on how to life a good and healthy life both physically and mentally any day over some old scripture that told people how to live well 2000 or more years ago. But that's just me.

For example, the Bible does contain lots of good advise and common sense anybody should be able to figure out, such as the 10 commandments. It's not scientific but it's a very respectable (even if not fully practised by even nearly all christians) code of ethics.

Yea, I worded that wrong. My point was, science can only really change our circumstance - whereas Judaism/Christianity is full of things that will help us deal with our circumstances internally which will end up improving things.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Guest GhostRanger
Ok, first off i'm just going to get away from the entire modern/ancient whatever deal. It doesn't really have much relavence.

The point he is getting across are that the roman and greek god's have both been "disaproved" due to science figuring out the reason.

Either way, the "god isn't modern" part of the discusion wasn't even the main point, but you seem to simply be ignoring it.

So, do answer this at least. Like notorious and I have said, the roman/greek gods have been proved "false" because they are no longer the actual causes behind certain events. What makes you so sure that our God may someday be disproven as well, that science may find an answer to the question?

You are still missing the point. Your point heavily relies on the fact that my God is modern and the ones that aren't worshipeed anymore (aka, have been "disproved") aren't. My God has been around longer than the ancient Greek and Roman gods and is still being worshipped. My God has survived all of the complete loss of faith that the Ancient Greek and Roman gods had and has been around longer than them.

Therefore, your argument that they were disproved is completely meaningless because the followers of my God is still increasing daily and my God has been around longer than the ancient Greek and Roman ones. It didn't take long for peopel to stop believing in them, but people STILL believe in my God.

That is what makes me believe my God will not be proven false one day. The fact that it has lasted as long as it has with how many followers it has. You can't even compare it to the ancient Greek and Roman gods that were disproved because of how miniscule of a time they were around before being disproved compaired to how long my God has been around with people still believing in Him.

(Note: anytime I say disprove, I am following your lead by assuming that i means "still having people believe in them as the cause of events" or whatnot)

Science=Religion+1

Did you know that there are 2 creation stories in the bible?

SO, if people take the bible as fact, then they say they believe 2 different things!

really, proove it... I have read the bible and i can assure you that there are not two differen't creation storys in it

Also, try thinking this way for a second...

nothing then "poof" somthing... - ok this is odd i meant to say p00f with normal spelling but it comes out as vanaished? uh bug??

now wait, you cant say nothing is nothing cause nothing is somthing...

so the universe came from nothing which is somthing right? uh no

I honestly was considering becoming a non-beliver but i read through the facts (COLD HARD FACTS MY FRIEND) and the universe just can't have come from nothing...

it makes no sence...

so there has to be some kind of creator... for me thats God sure you can call me crazy and all but eh won't be the first time ::' I've found my place and meaning in life have you?

jfkmk3.jpg

New sigzor^^

I wouldn't say they're the EXACT same "God", GhostRanger. Christians today follow Jesus just as much, if not more than God himself. Nevermind that's against like, the first commandment, but I would consider it an entire different being if it's like that. That whole "holy trinity" thing.

I don't think Jesus was meant to be worshipped as a God. He was simply a guy with a message. An important guy, if he was he who said to be, but not a man of "God" status. I've even heard people here say that Jesus *IS* God via that whole holy trinity thing or whatever...

I never said he replaced God. I said that Chrsitians worship Jesus as a God. If you deny that, then apparently you don't know much about Christianity. :-s

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

I never said he replaced God. I said that Chrsitians worship Jesus as a God. If you deny that, then apparently you don't know much about Christianity. :-s

We actually worship him as part of God. Christ was God in human form, the Son of God. He is not a separate deity. He is just a part of God, like the Spirit, that makes up the Trinity. That is why one of our names for God is the Three-In-One.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Guest GhostRanger

You said you don't think Jesus was meant to be worshipped, but you don't realize - because you don't know anything about Christianity - is that Jesus is just another part of God and the Old Testement is filled with prophecies telling of the coming of the Messiah (Jesus). It's the same God and the Old Testement clearly prophecizes for the next part of God to come down in human form to save humanity.

The point you're making is if the old gods have been disproved, why not Jesus since he's not even as old as them, and that's ridiculous because we're still worshipping the same Gods, and we're still reading the same book. You just don't realize that Jesus has always been a part of our faith, but before him, we were just waiting for him.

Current Jews believe we picked the wrong guy - but they are still waiting for their Messiah. And when he comes (obviously I don't think he will, since I think it was Jesus) they will do the same thing Christians have done with Jesus - but that doesn't mean the God they worship is going to go away. It's the same God in different parts (therefore, not against the 10 Commandmants) and the prophecy for the Messiah has been there since the beginning and therefore isn't anything "new" like you suggest.

Your point is just wrong. Read the Old Testement and then get back to me.

You are still missing the point. Your point heavily relies on the fact that my God is modern and the ones that aren't worshipeed anymore (aka, have been "disproved") aren't. My God has been around longer than the ancient Greek and Roman gods and is still being worshipped. My God has survived all of the complete loss of faith that the Ancient Greek and Roman gods had and has been around longer than them.

Therefore, your argument that they were disproved is completely meaningless because the followers of my God is still increasing daily and my God has been around longer than the ancient Greek and Roman ones. It didn't take long for peopel to stop believing in them, but people STILL believe in my God.

That is what makes me believe my God will not be proven false one day. The fact that it has lasted as long as it has with how many followers it has. You can't even compare it to the ancient Greek and Roman gods that were disproved because of how miniscule of a time they were around before being disproved compaired to how long my God has been around with people still believing in Him.

(Note: anytime I say disprove, I am following your lead by assuming that i means "still having people believe in them as the cause of events" or whatnot)

Your still missing my point. We know today that the roman/greek god's were not real because we can prove the logic behind them. My point is that, in years to come, we may be able to find the cause behind what created the universe and esentialy "disprove" the existance of god. Even those this disproving for the Roman/Greek god's is much more recent than the god's themself the "disproving" of our god may (or may not) happen many years from now. How long a god has "been a god" doesn't have as much of a relavence to the idea.