Why do scientists believe the Big Bang created the world?

Biabf

Kant, Notorious_Ice has a write to his beleif. what annoys me about religion is ppl r so * narrow minded about it. hell im not religious but i respect ppls beliefs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Satanism a religion?

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but if that was true, it would be in the Bible, Qu'ran, etc...

God help us.

Amen. *oh the irony! :)*

viktorkrum, just because we aren't able to understand something doesn't mean that it is supernatural. We simply don't know... However, that is the reason that we hypothesize! We make theories! It's merely an attempt to understand. And so far, this is probably the best logical *ehem* explanation we have (the big bang, that is).

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

How about this?

The bible was made up, there is no god.

How about this?

Your post was brainless, and posting is a reflection of yourself.

How about this?

It is.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

God help us.

I meant, that even though mortals wrote those books, and there knowledge of science was low. Thats why its not in there. God talked to his people, surely he would've told them. Which is why I don't like religion. Its lacking in soooo many places.

I support the Big Bang Theory, it seems as if you guys have got it backwards.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Wikipedia is alright but they go into way much detail. I just wanted a brief explanation about it.

The Big Bang is the scientific theory about the beginning of the universe that is accepted by almost all cosmologists. The theory says that the universe began by growing out from a single point about 13.7 billion years ago. The point was very small, dense, and hot. All space, time, and matter was created when the point got bigger.

Scientists base this cosmological theory on many observations. The most important is the redshift of very far away galaxies, which shows that the universe is getting bigger and colder. If the universe is getting bigger and colder, then it used to be smaller and hotter, so many scientists think that a long time ago, the universe was as small and hot as possible, and that is when the Big Bang happened. At that time, everything in the universe was very close together, probably as a singularity (an infinite curve in spacetime, such as the ones found in black holes).

The Big Bang theory is also supported by the distribution of light chemical elements and the cosmic microwave background radiation (very low-level radiation) in the universe.

simplified english feature on wikipedia ftw?

485th person to ever play RuneScape

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

This is just going to turn into another thread with people babbling away about how god created our universe...

@Kant: Get off your high horse dude, you're a nobody.

srequest2me.jpg

I am an Atheist, and I take pride in it.

People believe it because it's what science is leaning towards as how the Universe started. Other than that, they don't have to have a reason, just like religious people don't have to have a reason to believe in creation. They just do. Ever ask them WHY the believe it? They just say "Because the Bible says so" and that's that...Never any proof or nothin'.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

God help us.

I meant, that even though mortals wrote those books, and there knowledge of science was low. Thats why its not in there. God talked to his people, surely he would've told them. Which is why I don't like religion. Its lacking in soooo many places.

I support the Big Bang Theory, it seems as if you guys have got it backwards.

Lacking? The Bible is considered by almost any scholar to be the most accurate ancient text in the world. Almost every event in it has real-life evidence to back it up, and the holes left have been confirmed by third-party ancient sources (like the Dead Sea Scrolls).

Kant, Notorious_Ice has a write to his beleif. what annoys me about religion is ppl r so * narrow minded about it. hell im not religious but i respect ppls beliefs.

He has a right to discuss, not flat out insult our faith. He basically said "Ur stewpit, lolz".

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

The Bible is considered by almost any scholar to be the most accurate ancient text in the world.

Just wondering: what other ancient text do you know?

Mostly epics, musics of Greek and Roman historians (which are highly biased, which blemishes thier accuracy), and other historical texts like the Lao Tze. I am not going to put a list of like 5000 ancient texts.

And when I say accurate, I am talking about events in the Bible, not miracles or "religious aspects." I am talking about wars, geneaologies of kings, borders, etc.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Well actually I do have reasoning behind my beliefs. I just didn't feel like posting, but because everyone said it was just a brainless post, ill add to it.

Everytime I add my thaughts about religion, there has never been anybody to counter my opinion, Id really love someone to reply to this, for an intelligent debate, instead of the usual; "Im right" "No, im right" "No, im right!"

It all comes down to if you want to believe in scientific theories based on proven facts.

Or stories involving someone walking on water, curing people and that theres a "better place" based on a few events which were true, but still had nothing to do with the stories.

Anyone who believes without a doubt there is a god can you explain this?

The ancient greeks, egyptions etc invented gods to explain things which they couldnt explain because they did not have the technology or know the science. Their god zues threw lightning, but we now know how lightning occurs. If they knew how it really happened back then they wouldnt have invented zues.

The greeks had a god that took the sun across the sky because they didnt know how it happened. We know know today from science and proven facts, that the sun appears to move across the sky because the world rotates.

So what makes you think that this "modern god" is real, even though the ancient gods werent? What makes you think years from now science won't be able to prove how the universe was made and everyone will think back and say

"phhhtt, why would people back then believe that rubbish? We know what really happened now"

And how do you explain all the fossils of dinosaurs? It was proven that dinosaurs existed billions of years before humans, but oh wait, the bible says the universe was created in 7 (or whatever it is) days.

So they conflict with each other,

I did some research and found that the religous explanation for dinosaurs was that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time basing their theory on a painting with dinosaurs in it. Which to me, and science, isnt hard backed proof.

Their other theory is that sandstone can form much quicker than other rock, so the layers of rock cannot prove without a doubt the age of the fossils. Yet fossils have been found in rock other than sandstone, and there have been no traces of human fossils.

So based on religions in the past, someone makes a religion to explain something that science cannot. Or it makes dying easier to go through, because people believe that they are going to a better place.

Its been proven that a man called jesus existed, which is a reason why people believe in it. But it was never proven that he performed all those "mericles." (sp?) I believe that there was a man called jesus, who claimed to be the son of god, but I believe that he wasn't and just thaught he was.

I believe that in the future, with the right technologies, science will prove with facts how we got here (and everything else that religions explain), and do to the religions today, exactly what it did to the ancient religions.

And that is why I believe there is no god, other than in peoples faiths because they want something to believe in. Thats what having a religion is really, faith.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people believing in god, everybody has their own beliefs and are entitled to them. The religous people I don't agree with, are the kind of people who say "I believe in god, god is real and you should believe in god to." or "Im religous, and i survived an accident when I should have lived,(or some kind of other random 'proof') thats proof for everyone"

l33tspeak4tk.gif

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid it will never begin.

I'm not gunna bother reading everyone else's essays, but here is what i always wonder...

Before the big bang, if there was a tiny spot of heat or w/e, what was around it? Nothingness? How can there be nothingness if the little hot spot was the only thing that existed?

What made the little hot spot? What made the first thing ever...err made?

If there was absolutley nothing before, how can anything come into existance, and errrr what would it be like with there being nothingness? Like nothing, no where, and no one would exist...

yes.png

Guest GhostRanger

Notorious, you want us to reply to an intelligent debate and yet you say things like this:

So what makes you think that this "modern god" is real, even though the ancient gods werent?

Sorry pal, but the God of Christianity isn't "modern." Until you show me that you know anything about my faith before criticizing it, I'll use my intelligent debating skills elsewhere.

Oh, Apinagez, I meant to say "Lao Zhe" in my last post. In case you wanted to google it or something.

Chinese spelling destroys me.

Untitled.png

@Kant: Get off your high horse dude

If this "high horse" you refer to is superior logic and reasoning, then no, I will not get off that horse.

, you're a nobody.

I wasn't aware truth deferred to "somebodies".

Notorious, you want us to reply to an intelligent debate and yet you say things like this:

So what makes you think that this "modern god" is real, even though the ancient gods werent?

Sorry pal, but the God of Christianity isn't "modern." Until you show me that you know anything about my faith before criticizing it, I'll use my intelligent debating skills elsewhere.

I called it modern, because right before I was talking about ancient religion, And it is modern, because it is what millions of people believe in TODAY. You cant get much more modern than that. I wasn't referring to christianity as being first made in modern times.

Now that you have finished your little fit because of my choice of words, why don't you use these so called intelligent debating skills.

l33tspeak4tk.gif

It's a theory. There is not proof for it because that would require them having been there at the time. The reason the theory exists is because there's evidence to support it.

Why not look at the wikipedia page for it if you need extensive info?

WRONG.

Theories can't be proven by experimenting. Being there "back then" has nothing to do with it.

Laws can be tested over and over again.

Notorious_Ice.

In an earlier post you stated that the greeks and romans "created" gods. You need to learn how to state your opinions a little clearer.

When you make a statement like that, you are sounding like you KNOW for DANG sure that it is that way. You should use pronouns like "some people believe..." etc....

I am not saying you don't have a right to you're opinion (I am christian). You most certainly do. I just say when you make points, to at least have some footing to do it with first.

Well, in a time-line aspect, Yahweh/Jehova (that is what it is called, right? Believe so..) is actually one of the newer diety's. There were many religion's before Christianity, it's just that noone follows them anymore, lol.

Edit: I should clarfiy, the God the Jewish religion follows is one of the older God's, but the one that Christians follow...That whole "holy trinity" thing...That's like the...Second-newest diety, Allah being sometime after, in the 1500's or whatever.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

S_Ghost: I don't understand what your saying. I do know for sure that the ancient greeks, egyptions etc had religions. Today we have proof of this such as ancient writings which have been translated.

Or are you saying that zues etc are real?

If this is so, do you believe there still is a god who carries the sun across the sky, and battles a giant serpent every night? And that everybody is wrong to think that the earth revolves around the sun?

Not attacking you, I just don't see where your coming from and ask you to be clearer.

l33tspeak4tk.gif

For you religious people out there, who created the Almighty being?

Since God created everything who created God?

Did everything begin when God appeared out of nowhere?

Is there another explaination rather than someone else creating god?

Well I think the bible and religion is flawed.

As someone previously stated, dinosaur fossils were discovered millions or billion of years before human fossils. So if God created everything in 6 days, why do fossils indicate that some species lived millions or billions of years apart.

For you religious people out there, who created the Almighty being?

Since God created everything who created God?

Did everything begin when God appeared out of nowhere?

Is there another explaination rather than someone else creating god?

Well I think the bible and religion is flawed.

As someone previously stated, dinosaur fossils were discovered millions or billion of years before human fossils. So if God created everything in 6 days, why do fossils indicate that some species lived millions or billions of years apart.

Religious followers...Well, actually, these new, die-hard evengelics more than anyone, take the bible completely and utterly literal. They believe that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that carbon dating is a flawed science, which it isn't as far as I know of. There was some guy here recently trying to say that carbon dating couldn't be trusted because space-carbon that was much older would have fallen on the bones, making them much older seemingly. Not that that is even possible, but that still means God didn't create everything. I guess he looked over that. /shrug. Most of them just say carbon dating = flawed. It would amaze me if a widely used science accepted as fact was not only totally off, but off by such a huge number of years that it isn't even close to fact.

- Me!