Guide to Power Smelting and Smithing

Jock66600

Opening Words

Alrighty, this guide is my first and please criticize this guide respectfully. No flaming on this topic such as this is common knowledge. Another thing I would like to say that it is still under construction and I'm still working on the pictures for power smithing. Ok with that out of the way lets begin!

Also this is P2P! I find it faster to smelt in P2P. I will list places that are and not F2P.

Table of Contents

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Requirements

2. Items Needed

3. Location

4. Starting Out

5. Inventory and the Bank

A. Steel Bars

B. Iron Bars

6. Smithing

A. Steel Plates

B. Iron Knives

C. Starting Out

7. Alching

8. Gold Smelting Method

9. Experience Table

10. Closing Words

11. Tips

12. Acknowledgement

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Requirements

Port Phasmatys (P2P) is where I do my smelting since it is the easiest place to smelt. That is my opion and some people prefer Al Kharid (F2P), also because it is the best F2P place to smelt.

The requirements if you choose Port Phasmatys are as following,

Priest in Peril (P2P)

Ghosts Ahoy (P2P) >Optional< So if you don't want to pay 2 tickets to enter.

Smithing lvl of 1 or above (Starting Out).

30 Smithing (Steel Bars)

48 Smithing to make steel plates. (Smithing Section)

40 Smithing to make gold bars. (Gold Method)

40 Crafting (Gold Method)

55 Mage (Alching)

15 Smithing (Iron Bars)

2. Items Needed

>Smelting< Ores, you can mine them yourself if you want, but it will take time!

Iron is 100 each, Coal is 150-180 each

1 coin (Explained Later)

Ghost Speak Amulet (Port Phasmatys, P2P)

musthave.jpg

Rings of Forging, about 15 or so (B. Iron Bars) (P2P)

>Smithing Items< Bars, hammer, 2 free space items.

>Alching< Nats, firestaff, platebodies

>Beginning< A bronze or iron pickaxe, a general idea of where the bank is. A bronze pickaxe, if you lost yours, there is a respawn of one in Rimmington. If your not sure where that is, check the world map.

bronzepick.jpg

>Gold Smelting Method<

Brown Apron

A Rune Pickaxe

Gold Gauntlents *Requires Family Crest (P2P) (Opitional)

Explained in the Experience Table

3. Location

>Smelting<

Port Phasmatys to smelt of course. If you haven't done Ghost Ahoys then you will need *two* tokens. (P2P)

path.jpg

>Smithing<

Varrock (F2P), some people like Yanile (P2P), but it is a longer walk.

4. Starting Out

Ok, so you doodled around playing a little bit there and here. Well smithing can be a decent money maker for those fresh off Tutorial Island. Best place to start it none other than Lumbringe. I didn't have this when I started out, so I will give my best opinions about this topic.

StartingOut.jpg

To begin, you click the rock with an organgish tinge to it. Congratulations you mined your first copper ore. Mine about 13 more, 14 in all. Then off to tin, same as copper. When you are finished you should have 14 tin and 14 copper.

StartingOutLayout.jpg

This is a layout of where the ores are. A tip is have nothing besides your equipped pickaxe. Smelt them in Lumbridge, a little past the general store, and bank them, third floor. Do this til your desired number, probally something over 100 bronze bars. Refer to the Smithing guide of how you should smith them. Iron I believe is quite worthless at a lower level. With 28 bars you can make up to 10-15 bars, its all about luck. But it could prove better if your sick of bronze. Well hope this can get you started.

It is very helpful if you have an organized bank like so. As you can see my ores are close together.

banksetup.jpg

A. Steel Bars

Now to the inventory, first time you are withdrawing you should withraw 1 coin, 9 iron and then LASTLY withdraw all coal, instead of withdrawing X, 18. It makes it quicker. After you smelt your first 9, it gets easier.

This is an overall view of the inventory.

inventorysetup.jpg

This is how your inventory should look like when your done smelting.

finished.jpg

After you smelt the 9 steel bars, first things first, withdraw ALL coal.

withdrawing1.jpg

Next deposit all steel bars, or 10 if you prefer.

withdrawing2.jpg

Lastly withdraw 10, or all iron.

withdrawing3.jpg

Repeat til you are done.

B. Iron Bars, (P2P)

Refer to above where to smelt.

Iron bars are quite easy to make. The main thing you need is Rings of Forging, without these you can just kiss nearly half of your iron ores goodbye. An example of how many rings you need is, take this example, I have around 2k iron ores, I will need about 15. Just in case I make around 20 rings. 15 x 150 = 2250, and a note is the rings do not have charges on them, the charges are on the user. So do not think you can get away with making 149 bars with a ring and sell it. The next ring will just carry over the charge.

Your inventory should look like this. I keep an extra ring because it saves time if the ring your wearing breaks. If you did the math you'll get up about 5 bars short, it just says a trip.

ironores2.jpg

Smelt x 27, congrats!

ironores.jpg

Bank and then withdraw all iron ores til you are done.

6. Smithing

A. Steel Plates

Self explanitory, sorry no pictures! Ok first withdraw your hammer, very important item! Second 2 free space items, what I used was a newt eye and rope. You can also use herbs. Ok after that you can withdraw 25 steel bars and hammer away, better pay close attention, because it goes by fast. Best to listen to music since, by the time you switch to the forums, you'll be done.

B. Iron Knives

All you need is a hammer and iron bars. This is easy but you need to make about 3 sets, which means you can't doodle off while doing this. It will take 3 clicks to use all of the bars. Good luck!

C. Starting Out

All you need is your hammer and smith the highest lvl object you can and bank it. As soon as your done making the items you want, you can sell them.

7. Alching

You will not make a profit if you bought ALL ores. I bought only 500 iron (50k) and using only 100 nats (30k). That sums up to 80k and if you high alch them all, which is 1200 per plate. Since I made 100 plates thats 100 x 1200 = 120k! So just 120k - 80k = 40k profit. For me thats a *big* profit. Not really I make more fletching but I need the smithing exp. Another note about alching is if you low alch you will only get around 800 per steel plate.

8. Gold Smelting Method

This method is based around the Crafting Guild.

CraftingGuildPath.jpg

This picture describes what you do in order to make an effective path, another method instead of 26 agility is taking the one around the corner (P2P). The Gold Method is a way to raise Crafting and Smithing. With the *gold gloves* (P2P) you can make nearly twice the exp. Also a nice way to raise crafting. If you wish you may sell the amulets at the general store, the lowest it sells at is 20 gp each.

9. Experience Table

Smelting (Furnace)

Bronze (1 copper, 1 tin) 6.2 exp

Iron (1 iron) 12.5 exp

Steel (1 iron, 2 coal) 17.5 exp

Gold (1 gold ore) 22.5

Gold *with Gold Gauntlents* (1 gold ore) 56.2

C-Balls (1 steel bar) 26 exp (4 c-balls per bar)

Smithing (Anvil)

Bronze (1 bronze bar) 12.5

Iron (1 iron bar) 25

Steel (1 steel bar) 37.5

10. Closing Words

Hope this helps, it sure did kill my boredem while mining and smelting. Um I would apprecate if you PMED me the mistakes I made instead of saying it out loud to everyone. Thats all...

Happy Smithing!

havefun.jpg

He is waving, I know ghosty makes it hard to see.

11. Tips

~Getting the ores yourself gives great mining exp.

~If you are F2P then try out Al Kharid to smelt your ores.

~Another place to start out is west of Faldor, which has tin, copper, iron, and coal (P2P)

~Smithing is a hard skill to raise, so keep at it!

12. Acknowledgement

Tip.It for an awsome forums and not banning me after my 5th time of breaking the rule. I know I was new at the forum rules here! Well now I know.

Also to anyone who bumps this thread and says good things. ::'

Kinslayer777 for a lil mistake in the Alching Section.

Runescape World Map, Tip.It calculators

*Updates* December 2 Added Gold Method, Starting Out, and Experience Table.

December 6 Put the exp of c-balls into the expierence guide. Thanks Pokemama.

Hmm...I like it. Of course, there's the massive pitfall for me being that you mined 1k coal.

No fun :'(, but if i can sneak coal at 150gpea, and make my own nats, I can buy the rest methinks

Edit: Nvm, you said 120k profit. However, you only make 40k profit. Profit is after expensive...Alas...In anycase, well, aye, yer, hmmm...I'll have to think of something ::'

This is a good, detailed, well-illustrated guide! It might be helpful for some people to add that you can sell steel bars or cannonballs and make a tidy proft.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

My "loading" strategy is 1 point less efficient:

Withdraw 10 iron, all coal, replace 1 iron, but I like to keep a space free for item snatching.

You can drop the coin if you see a party hat on the ground :P

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

Nice guide. Well organized, nice use of colour and pictures.

As it is very specific to one particular task, it is suitable for the Player Made Guides forum.

I was pleasantly startled by your banking technique for steel - I confess I'd never thought of that before! Withdrawing the correct number is always a nuisance. I'll have to try your method now!

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Nice guide....9.995/10 I think you should mention that the best place to mine gold is in "THe rock" after you do 'Between the rock....' Quest....its only a short run to the gut who sends your ore to the bank.... only downfall is not being able to keep your gems..... 24 ores a trip bout 7 mins a trip...i mined 10k of gold in a month......

Nice guide though.

:)Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes :)

:(Brevior saltare [bleep] deformibus mulieribus est vita :(

It is very helpful if you have an organized bank like so. As you can see my ores are close together.

Now to the inventory, first time you are withdrawing you should withraw 1 coin, 9 iron and then LASTLY withdraw all coal, instead of withdrawing X, 18. It makes it quicker. After you smelt your first 9, it gets easier.

This is an overall view of the inventory.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/Twisted-Glory/inventorysetup.jpg/img]

This is how your inventory should look like when your done smelting.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/Twisted-Glory/finished.jpg/img]

After you smelt the 9 steel bars, first things first, withdraw ALL coal.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/Twisted-Glory/withdrawing1.jpg/img]

Next deposit all steel bars, or 10 if you prefer.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/Twisted-Glory/withdrawing2.jpg/img]

Lastly withdraw 10, or all iron.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/Twisted-Glory/withdrawing3.jpg/img]

Repeat til you are done.

Now the secrets of high lvl smithing are revealed to everyone. :ohnoes:

Good guide btw

boozhoo

boozhoochief.png

I use a likewise method making steel bars :)

I'm F2P but I've heard you can make cash by making cannon balls from steel bars.

Wouldn't it be smart to replace that 1 coin with the mould and thus increasing the exp gained? :oops:

Of course this removes the ability to fluently fill your inventory...

Boozeless-Bum1.gif

Making cannonballs makes cash, but there are drawbacks (which is why people prefer buying them over making them, lol).

One is that they take longer to make (you wait for it to "cool" or some such nonsense) ... it gets annoying quickly.

The second is that Jagex nerfed the smithing xp for cannonballs. Instead of getting your usual 37+ xp, you get only 26+ xp per bar.

Since the goal of this guide is to power levelling, meaning to quickly raise xp (rather than making cash), cannonballs wouldn't fit in with this guide.

[However it's a good question. ;)]

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Well, I thought about adding this to the guide, but it seems more of a mini guide.

An Introduction to the Simple Life of A Smelter

Table of Contents

~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Introduction

2. Requirements, and/or Recommendations

3. Starting Out in the Big Bad World as A Smelter

4. Closing Words (Again)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Introduction

Ok then, you might ask what does this have to do anything with power smithing. Don't deny it, curiosity is the key to learning. Like when O'ld Benny used the key with the kite and nearly killed himself. Besides that getting a job is quite easy. Listed in the requirements is all you need. Check out the Smithing Market, you'll find two big companies, pick one you prefer. On to the requirements to get you started. I prefer this one as the best method to gaining Smithing levels. It is by far the best method and you get a whee bit of coins as well for your time.

2. Requirements, and/or Recommendations

The biggest of them all, 30 Smithing

1000 Steel Bars or 600k

3. Starting Out in the Big Bad World as A Smelter

Ok then, you got yourself a big bad boss, congratulations. Give the player your 1000 bars, and if you don't, you could buy 1000 off the player for about 580k (my boss) or other sellers, which is normally 600k. Ok then you give the player your bars for 2k coal and 1k iron. He or she or maybe an it, should give you 70k to start off as your first assignment. Read above how to smelt bars. Give whoever your boss is the bars back, and get another set of coal (2k) and iron (1k). And of course your payment, 70k! This is by far the best method to raise and make a profit! A note, the player might not pay you at first. But don't let that get you down and always remember to say you Ps and Ts (Please and thank you).

4. Closing Words (Again)

Hope this got you started, quite easy to enter this wonderful world of working long hours for little pay. But great experience in the complex skill of Smithing.

not bad at all 8/10

there is another shortcut for P2P peeps that only requires 5 agility, there is a climb over wall shortcut just west of the falador west bank, so that is another shortcut for people with 5-25 agility.

how that helps :)

for_sooth.png

Barrows Drops - Guthans Helmat x2, Dharoks Chest x2, Ahrims Staff, Guthans WarSpear Ahrims Robetop x2, Ahrims Hood, Torag's Legs, Karils Skirt, Xbow - Med (Double) Brassard-Hammers (Double)

Dragon Drops - 1 Skirt... (3 helms)

Dk - Dragon Axe x3, Warrior Ring x2

T.T - Top hat (4.3m) x2

GWD - [bandos] Hilt, Plate X2

Psssst.... BLAST FURNACE! :thumbsup:

I can't remember what quest(s) you need to use the Keldagrim furnace but it requires only half the coal for bars. I won't go into huge detail, since this is your guide, but here goes:

1: Withdraw in notes equal numbers of coal and iron (there is a bank in Keldagrim, but it's a looong walk). Nats (1/5 the number of ore), a fire staff (weild it) and a few k gp to start with.

2:You will probably have to solo this since I have not seen more than 1 or 2 people at the furnace ever, so grab a shovel, bucket and hammer in the furnace room.

3:There is a guy there who sells ores so Un-note 20 coal, put on belt. Un-note 20 iron, put on belt. Go thru the furnace process (ask dwarves in room)

Smith 4 plates in the smithing area in the same room then alch. Rinse and repeat.

You can also make 1k steel bars and trade to a steel company for 2k coal, 1k iron. (This is much faster if you can find a bar runner). That way you end up with an extra 1k coal free which you can then sell or re-use with iron you mine to recover any expenses.

Another thing to note: If you have large amounts of iron, you can smelt up to 28 bars in the furnace at a time and it's 100% bars to ores(just like using a forging ring). Then make some iron tips or knives in the smithing area and repeat. This is my prefered method since iron is cheaper to unnote and knives/arrows are pretty east to sell.

This to me is an exceptional way to get smithing exp fast and without bank runs.

PS. Excuse my crowded and not-so-very good explanation, but it's late and I had an 18 hour day so...

PPS.. grr I just remembered there is a guide of some description somewhere on Tip.It explaining the furnace... Whatever :oops:

Currently Selling: Supers of all kinds and Splitbark Armour. PM me in-game for both.

U stole the pictures about the steel smelting, i saw them somewhere else... :o :shame:

One I didn't, quote the guide and you will see that they are all from photobucket.com under my account Twisted-Glory, please try spamming somewhere else. And further more, if it is somewhere on the guide then someone stole my pictures without asking and I would ask to you to list the links to them. I have all the images in a folder in My Pictures and can prove it easily.

Yes the furnace is a way to save ores but it is slower and does not fit under the Power Smelting Description. It might be faster then mining another 1k coal and I do know there is a Ore Shop that sells coal. Thank you for pointing that out, but if I put that in my guide it overlaps the Tip.It's Guide. Thank you for pointing that out, everybody has there preferred methods.