Protecting new players from scamers... Is it worth it?

ctim

What do you think? I have had experiences where scamers are trying to... lure them into the wildy for instence. You kill the lurer but is the new player happy? Of course not! Why? Because they thought he was just a nice guy giving them free stuff.

Post you thoughts here.

91% percent of the people polled said they were liers. The other 9% lied to us.

When people get scammed they choose one of three paths. The victims either do nothing or learn from their mistakes, prevent others from being scammed, or scam others due to the items they lost or to view scamming as something one will not be caught by Jagex.

Homeworld 25 - Pure F2P - 1549 Overall

Always assisting crafting (99) or smithing (99)

Always set to on privacy, unless too many random pms. The one and only noob ^_^

We need to do everything we can to get the scammers banned and keep the innocent people safe. 'Nuff said. :shame:

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I agree that we should protect them and report the scammers but at the same time the new players don't know what is happening so they don't understand why you did what you did to protect them. I somtimes (not all the time) think that the best way is for them to learn the hard way. :shame: I know, I know. I know that the way I learned about scammers was by learning the hard way. I won't bore you with the details but I got scammed out of my first 30k. :cry: After not paying atention to what a lvl 75 said about the guy that scammed me. I think that that may be mean but new players arn't going to listen to what you say unless they want to hear it.

While I think that new players should "just say no" :notalk: to scammers i don't belive they will unless they learn the hard way. -.-

I will tell them that they are about to be scammed, but in the case of lurers, I wont help unless help is reqested, I wont put myself in harms way to help someone who is just going to hate me for it. plus if they dont learn thell be scammed by someone else.

Here's my story...

I was walking in lumbridge and I hear this guy "Help! I need to get to lvl 40 wilderness! Can you take me there?" A lvl 4 says "Sure! enething to hlp a playr." Realizing that they are 30 levels apart...I say "Thats in wildy! Don't go!" and the new member actually listens. So, he took his stuff to the bank and he died. With no items. =D>

I do try to stop these scammers and lurers, but if they don't listen...I keep talking and talking until they do listen. I've saved at least 5 people from and incident much like the above, and if I can just save 5 people every few months, RuneScape will be a better place.

I always say no to lurers and scammers. =;

Luigisig.png

I personally can't believe some of what I'm hearing :shock: . Just because newbies might not want to hear the truth, that they're about to be scammed, if they don't hear it, then there is NO chance they'll avoid being scammed. Wouldn't you rather they at least know that they might be being scammed than to have the scammers win without a fight?

sanday79.png

newsig.png

newbankofrsyq0.gif

I'm not quite sure it's a good idea to save them from being lured. If they learn through the hard way, they'll be sure not to repeat it, but if we help them, they probably will think it's not too big of a deal and then be scammed for more later on. I could see this argument from both views.

I think it is good to protect noobs from scammers so that when the noobs of today get more experienced at the game can help stop scammers and then mabye eventually there will be no more scammers

put the lime in the coconut spin it all round

It's kind of like my mother used to say "I can tell you all I want but you will only hear what you want to hear." How true that is when your dealing with protecting a new player from a scam. You can tell them they are going into a scam but they will only listen if they want to hear what your saying.

It's kind of like my mother used to say "I can tell you all I want but you will only hear what you want to hear." How true that is when your dealing with protecting a new player from a scam. You can tell them they are going into a scam but they will only listen if they want to hear what your saying.

Very true indeed... For example one time I was talking to this new player and he was selling full rune and some one was going to buy from him for 300k and I told him dont do it cause he would get scammed and he didnt listen and he only ended up with 30 gp and he got all angry and I said I told you not to and then he went on to call me a noob and other stuff -.- so I geuss you are right about that but it is true that there are some noobs out there that do like recieving(correct my grammar please) help and take it kindly ::'

put the lime in the coconut spin it all round

Jagax thinks it is important for noobs not to be scam. That is why they made the stronghold of sercutily. The new players might just quite the game if they die that soon after starting. If they quite jagax loses a petional paying member. Also it not only ruins the game for the people that got scam, but for everyone else. The reputation of the game is one of scammers that will only bring more scammers.

I'm not quite sure it's a good idea to save them from being lured. If they learn through the hard way, they'll be sure not to repeat it, but if we help them, they probably will think it's not too big of a deal and then be scammed for more later on. I could see this argument from both views.

good point. +1

Currently not active on RuneScape.

dazzuhsiggyfinal.png

The catch is when you try to protect someone from getting scammed, they often turn on you and insult you of robbing them a great deal. So no, it isn't worth it, since all you get is insults: from the victim as well as the scammer.

However, in the words of Mother Teresa: protect them anyway.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

if u get scammed in the first place ur most likely a complete moron :roll:

No, it means you most likely don't know any better from experience. Why don't you try contributing something to the discussion instead of just noob-bashing? I've been scammed, because I didn't know enough about RS

to avoid it. I'm probably still scam-able, and so are a lot of people, that doesn't make you stupid. Maybe gullible, maybe naive, but not stupid.

sanday79.png

newsig.png

newbankofrsyq0.gif

Personally, getting hit with a scam really wakes people up. They tend to become more cautious. Most people only fall for the same trick once. I do actively fight scammers, but not to my own loss.

Kinda off topic: I only set my bank PIN after I got hacked-wish I set it before. :wall: :wall:

single_skill1165514760.png

Thank the world for spell checkers.

Tell them what's gonna happen if they choose to follow the scammer/lurer. If they don't listen and die or get scammed...oh well you did your part. Just hope the victim learned his lesson.

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

course its worth it, 1 less cheapo in rs community, and then just explain to the newb

Nicely said in a nutshell. :)

We all must keep the 'newbs' safe. The 'noobs' on the other hand? Nah, they won't learn until it hits them the hard way. :P

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

It is definitely worth it. Our willingness to sacrifice for others in times of trouble is what makes us different from animals. Helping others in game is the same as helping others in real life, and true happiness can only be achieved by lending a helping hand.

RS Player Since 2006

Ltfairy.png

It's worth it. It's always worth to protect players from scammers, lurers, noobs and people like that. None get's happy by becomming killed, scammed or cheated.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

[ For example one time I was talking to this new player and he was selling full rune and some one was going to buy from him for 300k and I told him dont do it cause he would get scammed and he didnt listen and he only ended up with 30 gp

Stuff like that happems every day. You can't proptect everyone...

http://custom.leetscape.com/sig/63/70/combat.png[/img]

You just won the award for "The Most niave person on the Tip.it Boards!"]
*Points towards the monkey sitting on the button and declining every query*
Help me

No.